HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stevens' Comments about Matt Carle

Old
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
27roenick97

vCash: 500
to be honest, i think the extra intensity and speed of the playoffs has helped carle. watching him during the season, you could almost see him overthink as a forward turned his skates inside out or got caught deciding to pinch or not. now, he just goes and does instead of thinking. for the most part, his instincts are correct and he's been making good plays in all three zones

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
When people moan about our defense, I think they tend to forget that we have 3 defensmen under the age of 25 in our top 4.
And Jones on the third pairing, who has played one more career game than Coburn. Subtract Alberts, add Sbisa. and of course Timonen, and there's your six for next year, and it ain't bad.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think it is not umcommon for younger players to lose focus over the long, long haul of an 82 games season. There are few veterans, even, who have it cranked up all game every game for seven months. It's a grind, physically AND mentally.
I agree with this. Often young guys play to make money, so they try to be flashy.

Vets often play to hold the cup over their heads.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
to be honest, i think the extra intensity and speed of the playoffs has helped carle. watching him during the season, you could almost see him overthink as a forward turned his skates inside out or got caught deciding to pinch or not. now, he just goes and does instead of thinking. for the most part, his instincts are correct and he's been making good plays in all three zones
eh...I think he looked overwhelmed in the first two games of the series by the speed. he also showed off the fact that he is clueless whilst trying to defend 2-on-1s, which isn't something you expect to see from a D on the 2nd pairing and making that much $$. pretty much everyone looked good in Game 3 and 4 (though, I think he got caught in-between on way too many pucks in this one), and he was strong last night (lots of good pinches, though he did have one horrendous turnover).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Back when we were struggling toward the end of the season, I suggested shaking up the top 4 a bit:

Timonen-Carle
Coburn-Parent

I really feel (perhaps more for next year as I wouldn't want to mix things up in a playoff situation) that these pairings will benefit each player the most. Carle gets the chance to roam around more with Timonen and the same goes for Coburn if he is paired with Parent. Give each paring equal ice time and you've got two great pairings that can play against top lines on any team.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Back when we were struggling toward the end of the season, I suggested shaking up the top 4 a bit:

Timonen-Carle
Coburn-Parent

I really feel (perhaps more for next year as I wouldn't want to mix things up in a playoff situation) that these pairings will benefit each player the most. Carle gets the chance to roam around more with Timonen and the same goes for Coburn if he is paired with Parent. Give each paring equal ice time and you've got two great pairings that can play against top lines on any team.
I'm ok with these, but I'd just leave the pairings as is for now. They are playing great, so why change it?

Old
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'm ok with these, but I'd just leave the pairings as is for now. They are playing great, so why change it?
Yeah, that's why I said I wouldn't change them now, but these could be good for next year as long as we keep Carle.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:04 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
eh...I think he looked overwhelmed in the first two games of the series by the speed. he also showed off the fact that he is clueless whilst trying to defend 2-on-1s, which isn't something you expect to see from a D on the 2nd pairing and making that much $$. pretty much everyone looked good in Game 3 and 4 (though, I think he got caught in-between on way too many pucks in this one), and he was strong last night (lots of good pinches, though he did have one horrendous turnover).
I notice Coburn botch this play all the time too. I don't get it. Knowing how to play a 2 on 1 is one of the first things you learn as a defender. Why is it so hard for these guys to figure it out?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
i would like to see the D move the puck quicker out the zone to catch the pens flat footed. Alberts D has been good, but puck movement is still an issue.
It just took Alberts until April he was in a contract year
In all seriousness I dont think anyone should worry about Carle, Alberts or anyone else being a "fluke". They are playing well at the right time of the year.
Thats all that matters to me.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
It just took Alberts until April he was in a contract year
In all seriousness I dont think anyone should worry about Carle, Alberts or anyone else being a "fluke". They are playing well at the right time of the year.
Thats all that matters to me.
Only give him 1 year deals, and he will always be good in April!

Old
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
The turnover when picnhing, if thats the one your talking about Cooke high sticked him and thats why he lost the puck

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The turnover when picnhing, if thats the one your talking about Cooke high sticked him and thats why he lost the puck
The Penguins never play dirty and don't high stick people.

If you don't believe me, just check their forum.

Old
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
No, the one where he tried a finesse pass in the defensive zone and Coburn ended up saving his ass. On the whole, I thought the pairing played a strong game last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I notice Coburn botch this play all the time too. I don't get it. Knowing how to play a 2 on 1 is one of the first things you learn as a defender. Why is it so hard for these guys to figure it out?
You'd have to search long and hard to find a D look more foolish than Carle did on his attempts earlier in this series. I'm still not sure what the hell he thought he was trying to do...

Old
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The Flyers as a team have sucked at defending 2-on-1's for 25 years. It's pretty much an automatic that the pass is going to get through.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
The Flyers as a team have sucked at defending 2-on-1's for 25 years. It's pretty much an automatic that the pass is going to get through.
Most teams suck at defending 2-on-1's. It's not exactly an easy thing to defend against.

Old
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
DickTony

for my money, carle played his best game as a flyer last night. good timing.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Carle made a nice play on a 2 on 1 when he had no stick and broke up the pass with his hand.

When you get to the level of these guys you pretty much need to turn a 2 on 1 into a 1 on 1 vs. the goalie and a 1 on 1 with the man without the puck. These guys, for the most part, are way too good at finding an open spot for a pass. And unless you are a D man named Lidstrom or Chara, chances are the pass is going to go past you.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Wud

I haven't liked him, since we got him. He HAS played very well in games 4 and 5 though. If he can keep it up, he'll turn me around.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Carle made a nice play on a 2 on 1 when he had no stick and broke up the pass with his hand.

When you get to the level of these guys you pretty much need to turn a 2 on 1 into a 1 on 1 vs. the goalie and a 1 on 1 with the man without the puck. These guys, for the most part, are way too good at finding an open spot for a pass. And unless you are a D man named Lidstrom or Chara, chances are the pass is going to go past you.
That's just not true...there are plenty of solid defensive defenseman who do a very good job with regularity of getting into the passing lane and denying the pass. Now, one-on-one with the goalie is always a dangerous proposition when it's that close as well...and ultimately you can't just let the shooter walk into the paint on your goalie either.

Carle was basically sticking his ass up in the air with a limp-wristed stick in no-man's land on those 2-on-1s early on...it was simply bizarre. You would expect him to get himself into a middle position between the two players...facing the shooter and have his stick/body in a position to deny the pass, while (ideally) maneuvering into a position to cut down on time and space for the shooter.

Old
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
That's just not true...there are plenty of solid defensive defenseman who do a very good job with regularity of getting into the passing lane and denying the pass. Now, one-on-one with the goalie is always a dangerous proposition when it's that close as well...and ultimately you can't just let the shooter walk into the paint on your goalie either.

Carle was basically sticking his ass up in the air with a limp-wristed stick in no-man's land on those 2-on-1s early on...it was simply bizarre. You would expect him to get himself into a middle position between the two players...facing the shooter and have his stick/body in a position to deny the pass, while (ideally) maneuvering into a position to cut down on time and space for the shooter.
Maybe you should get his cell phone number and tell him how he is ****ing up.

Old
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Maybe you should get his cell phone number and tell him how he is ****ing up.
that's just it...what he did was so bizarrely NOT what you're supposed to do on those plays that I don't get it.

Old
04-24-2009, 03:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
See, I don't see why you guys are crying about the 2 on 1, yet nary a mention has been made of Kimmo royally screwing the pooch on a 2 on 1 in Game 4 which gave Pitt their 1st goal.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
See, I don't see why you guys are crying about the 2 on 1, yet nary a mention has been made of Kimmo royally screwing the pooch on a 2 on 1 in Game 4 which gave Pitt their 1st goal.
... because no one is perfect and we give Kimmo 1 mistake per game.

He hardly uses it anyway.

Old
04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
... because no one is perfect and we give Kimmo 1 mistake per game.

He hardly uses it anyway.
Absolutely true, but Carle makes one mistake on a 2 on 1 and we hear no end of it.

Coburn was also far from mistake-free in the 1st period, anyone remember Malkin turning him inside out and getting 2 great scoring chances?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Absolutely true, but Carle makes one mistake on a 2 on 1 and we hear no end of it.

Coburn was also far from mistake-free in the 1st period, anyone remember Malkin turning him inside out and getting 2 great scoring chances?
They keyword in that sentence is Malkin.

He makes vets look like Pee-wee hockey players.