HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Man,The Myth,AND The Legend....Claude Giroux!

Old
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
^ What situation? We have the top 2 centers as it is. Giroux will be a winger.
Don't you think in the within the next couple of years, Giroux will center the 1st line, Carter the 2nd, and Richards the 3rd line checking role. The best thing about these three is that they all play on the PK and PP and are effective.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
^ I agree that Richards can be a great 3rd guy. But I think Giroux is best suited playing with one of Carter or Richards. Remember, were still not magically getting rid of Danny.

Whats really is the best part is that our team is not only deep, but with Briere and Giroux, we have flexible options at center and wing. So things will most likely constantly be in flux

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
^ I agree that Richards can be a great 3rd guy. But I think Giroux is best suited playing with one of Carter or Richards. Remember, were still not magically getting rid of Danny.

Whats really is the best part is that our team is not only deep, but with Briere and Giroux, we have flexible options at center and wing. So things will most likely constantly be in flux
I know they are not going to get rid of Briere, he I think Giroux would play better with him than Carter. I think Carter needs to play with guys who can crash the net and get the rebounds from his shot. It seems that he is the guy teams want to take away.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Claude Giroux is

ROOOOOOOOOOOO

??
lol so lame

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
First of all, I come in peace and congrats on a big win in our house last night. Looks like the seires is destined to be a bot more interesting than any of our fans wanted it to be.

I love that this thread exists and all it represents. Wasn't Giroux someone that most of the folks on these boards wanted run out of town, if not murdered and thrown off of a bridge after Game 2?

I love the fickle nature of all of us, as hockey fans. One game you get the bear, the next game the bear gets you...
His penalty in game 2 was key to the loss but not as key as our 46 goal scorer missing a wide open net

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Gert B Frobe

I was trying to think of a former/current NHL player that he plays like and I'm drawing a blank.

He plays like a smaller, quicker Forsberg without the amazing "keep the puck" skills that noone has ever matched. Throw in a dash of Joe Sakic and there you have it.

Should have a pretty good career IMO.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I was trying to think of a former/current NHL player that he plays like and I'm drawing a blank.

He plays like a smaller, quicker Forsberg without the amazing "keep the puck" skills that noone has ever matched. Throw in a dash of Joe Sakic and there you have it.

He's young yet. He will get stronger I think. Plus he is already pretty strong on the puck, especially for his size.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
If Satan has a big goal or something in Game 6, then we'll have a similiar experience. He's been a marked man all season on the west side of PA.
I was so confused for a second.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:

I think a mixture of Ales Hemsky and Forsberg.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 09:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Hmmm, trying to think who Giroux reminds me of game wise. Doug Gilmour is a good comparison. Another good comparison would be Peter Stastny. I know that that's pretty elite company, but skill wise, Giroux does remind me of Stastny and body wise/hockey sense wise, he reminds me of Gilmour.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
His penalty in game 2 was key to the loss but not as key as our 46 goal scorer missing a wide open net
That he did, but Fleury still made a crazy save there.

50% credit for the both of them.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

the kid has that "it" (if you know what I mean) that you just cant teach. He has elite vision. He is already pretty good on the defensive side of the puck. I am not sure if he will have that mean streak that Forsberg had, but some of the other stuff you can see it.
I hate making comparisons though. Because its not fair to the kid. Lets let the kid develop into the next Claude Giroux. He is going to make many GM's kick themselves for passing him up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:01 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Ugh, what's with Richards being a checking center? Why would you want your heart and soul guy, not to mention a point per game center, being relegated to a checking role? That means playing with guys like Carcillo and Asham. No offense to those guys, but they shouldn't see any ice time with Mike Richards.

If Richards is going to be used as a 'checker', I'd rather his linemates be finishers so that they can continue to contribute offensively. I could very easily see JVR on the left side and someone like Nodl on the right side. That could turn out to be a scary third offensive line to play against.

Old
04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Ugh, what's with Richards being a checking center? Why would you want your heart and soul guy, not to mention a point per game center, being relegated to a checking role? That means playing with guys like Carcillo and Asham. No offense to those guys, but they shouldn't see any ice time with Mike Richards.

If Richards is going to be used as a 'checker', I'd rather his linemates be finishers so that they can continue to contribute offensively. I could very easily see JVR on the left side and someone like Nodl on the right side. That could turn out to be a scary third offensive line to play against.

Yes, my point all along was that Richards was a top two guy playing with our skilled wingers. Unless you weren't referring directly to me.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yes, my point all along was that Richards was a top two guy playing with our skilled wingers. Unless you weren't referring directly to me.
Nope, not referring to you at all. I'm just referring to previous discussions on here about making Richards exclusively a checking center. I think that because Mike has proven so much offensively, it'd be a big step backwards to ask him to be an exclusive checking centerman and not play an offensive game.

Old
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Orange Crush 89

Dude's a mother ****in magician. I love him. Biggest surprise for this year's team. Thanks Clarkie!

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
That he did, but Fleury still made a crazy save there.

50% credit for the both of them.
10% Fleury, 90% Carter shooting it right back into him. Seriously, he had EVERYWHERE to shoot, gaping like a prostitute at the end of a long shift, and he keeps it low right at Fleury. Sheesh.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:50 PM
whynot

I saw Giroux this morning at a SJ diner with his family. We left him alone out of respect. Sitting down he really isn't that big, but for sure, he plays big.

whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

I dont get this at all. It's not about what's best for Mike Richards, it's about what's best for the team. Do you really think the organization thought less of Keith Primeau and Simon Gagne when they were our "3rd line checking line"??? Hell no, they were still effective in the offensive zone but they flat out did an awesome job at shutting down the other teams top line. It was better to have them out there against Jagr and prevent him from scoring 3 goals than it was to have Gags and Primes going against the Rangers 3rd line and scoring 1 themselves.

Richards isnt a bad center and he does certainly have solid offensive ability. 3 years ago when Forsberg went out I advocated for Richards to jump up on the top line with Gagne and Knuble and most people that it was a mistake. He did a pretty decent job of it. However, he's clearly not the goal scorer that Carter is and I don't think that anyone has any allusions about that. Though Richards is nto a bad playmaker, he's not in the same league as Giroux. Frankly, I've been impressed by just hpw good Giroux is. I know he was pretty damn good, I just didn't expect it to be this damn good this early in his career.

I really don't know if you guys can fully appreciate the vision that Giroux has. Someone else said it too, he just has "IT" and it's something that just can't be taught. There are only a few handfull of players in the league with that kind of vision. Crosby doesn't have it, Lindors doesn't have it, Gretz and Forsberg had it. Corosby and Lindros are/were dominant players but they just didn't/dont have the same vision that Giroux has. This is something special guy.

It's not a knock on Richards, it's just that the makeup of the team is best with us having 2 top scoring lines, one with Carter as the dominant player and goal scorer and the other with Giroux as the dominant player and sets up a sniper for the scoring. If we can get Richards paired with 2 wings who hustle their butts off and play solid defensive hockey but can still be effective in the offensive zone, then I think that's the best possible situation for the Philadelphia Flyers. Remember, Keith Primeau was our captain and team leader while playing on the "checking line" too. Keith picked the team up and carried us on his back to withing one overtime goal of the finals being a more dominant force in the offensive zone than either of our scoring lines at that time.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote