HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

4/22/09/ |ecqf game 4 | washington @ new york | 7pm | msg (hd)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
SkinneeJ

vCash: 500
I don't think we need to be doing caps fans any favors by apologizing for beating them. I don't know about the quality of person on the boards here, but half the caps fans I know started following the team last year and thought Bettman had hidden the cup somewhere in the Verizon center.

And I'm tired of hearing things like, "if you didn't have Lundqvist you would have been swept by now." Yeah, and if we had Ovechkin we would have scored 100 goals on you by now. Or maybe we'd be losing 3-1 too...

Oh, and as awesome as Lundy has been, he's actually been held scoreless in this series thus far. He needs to step it up.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinneeJ View Post
I don't think we need to be doing caps fans any favors by apologizing for beating them. I don't know about the quality of person on the boards here, but half the caps fans I know started following the team last year and thought Bettman had hidden the cup somewhere in the Verizon center.

And I'm tired of hearing things like, "if you didn't have Lundqvist you would have been swept by now." Yeah, and if we had Ovechkin we would have scored 100 goals on you by now. Or maybe we'd be losing 3-1 too...

Oh, and as awesome as Lundy has been, he's actually been held scoreless in this series thus far. He needs to step it up.
I agree. Perhaps a couple assists in game 5 and I'll be satisfied with his overall play.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
SkinneeJAnd I'm tired of hearing things like, "if you didn't have Lundqvist you would have been swept by now." Yeah, and if we had Ovechkin we would have scored 100 goals on you by now. Or maybe we'd be losing 3-1
I never understood why certain fans feel like a goaltending isn't part of the overall team. It's like pitching or a quarterback. It just so happens that Lundqvist is the best player on the Rangers and the best player in the series. Should the caps apologize for drafting Ovechkin or Greene? Makes no sense.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
ap215

Give it up to the king he stands up again. Friday night at VC should be interesting.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Hemlawk86

A win is a WIN. Super goaltender or garbage goals.

Good job on the pk Rags!

Old
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Btw, Korpikoski quietly having a very good series playing 15 minutes a night. That play at the front of the net that setup the game winner and the hit he had on AO, absolute beautiful playoff type plays we need from him.

Old
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers have done a terrible job in pressuring the Caps D.They refuse to get the puck in deep and lay the body on the likes of Poti,Pothier,Jurcina and Morrison and Erskine.Some of those guys are pylons.Chip the puck past the D and go get it.Cross corner dumps with the Ranger winger flying towards that corner to retrieve the puck.

Safe is deep.Pucks deep.

The Caps defense is not Larry Robinson,Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard from the late 1970's Habs teams.

If the Rangers play in their end,best defense is an offense.

They have done an excellent job on Mike Green.The Rangers took a page from Bob Johnson's book when he coached Calgary in the 1980's against the Oilers.They wanted Coffey to have the puck so they could punish him physically and pressure him to give up the puck.Coffey would always carry the puck on the right side of the ice.A forward was always there to greet him.

Even Ovechkin,there are always two players waiting for Ovechkin when the crosses to the middle of the ice.

The Rangers best forwards have been the 3 kids(Brandon Dubinsky,Ryan Callahan and Lauri Korpokoski),Blair Betts and Fred Sjostrom. The two Nik's have been invisible.Naslund's play are dropped off after game two.Drury gets a pass because he is playing with one hand.Avery needs to stop eating the retard sandwiches again. Gomez is invisible.

The Rangers are trailing 3-1 without the guy in net.

The Rangers are playing and winning with Renney hockey.They have fallen back into what Renney taught them for nearly 4 years.
with the exception of your description of Antropovs play, i agree with all of this.

I though Antro was superb in this last game, he was the ONLY player getting the puck in deep, recovering it, and playing with it in their zone, everyone else was backing up waiting for the waves to start coming. outside of antro, we are playing, like you said, Tom Renney BS hockey.

Old
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Even with Lundqvist in the net, if he played like he did in January we loose this game 6-1 or something. Its hard to argue against that, right?

On a scale 1 to 10 what would you call that? I would say that its a 1 or in other words that we actually did suck pretty much. Sure the players worked hard, but the Caps could have had a 5-0 lead after 30 minutes, I am not so sure the players would have worked hard for the last 30 if we were down 5-0. Working hard is something I take for granted in teh PO's.
THIS!!!

Old
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinneeJ View Post

I think if you take out AO and replace him with...i guess Nylander, and you take out Henrik, and replace him with Vally, this series is over already.

Thats all im saying.

You want your supporting cast to hold their weight at least somewhat, you want them to give you something to work with, you want them to go out and play against a team that has average 3 goals per game given up this season, and score 3 goals a game...you want them to have SOME offensive zone pressure, you want them to play HOCKEY, not to simply watch as their goaltender steals them game after game after game.

this isnt about being unhappy with the result, this is about being unhappy with the level of play. 1 team is clearly playing better than the other, and i think it has way more to do with respecting the Washington firepower way too much than anything else.

I mean, if Henrik is going to make all these mother effing ridiculous saves anyway, then why not try to go out there and score some goals by generating some offensive zone pressure? Thats what Torts was brought into do for christs sake....but really, outside of Antropov, nobody was in there playing an offensive game after the first 20 minutes. They just all collectively sat back. Watch the tape again, no hard forechecker, no 2nd man in, no pressure WHATSOEVER till they hit the blueline...that is TOM RENNEY hockey, not Torts hockey. and literally, the only way to win playing Tom Renney's BS style of hockey is to have your goaltender play out of his mind.

There is no way...NO WAY whatsoever that Henrik is going to keep up this level of play for much longer, no goalie can play like this for 2 months...well, no goalie that i can remember playing for the Rangers anyhow..i mean even Richter wasnt this good in those playoffs...he had a ton of help.

The Rangers need to stop conceding so much of the ice, and to attack the one weakness the Caps really do have...their slow, immobile defensive group, you attack that with speed and a forecheck, we showed it in the first period, we held their attack at bay by playing in their zone, we proved that you can, in fact play a team game against that team.

I dont get what is so hard to understand here...what we saw in that first period is what i want to see...EVERY...SINGLE....GAME...not just for 1 isolated period in 1 isolated game.

Old
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I think if you take out AO and replace him with...i guess Nylander, and you take out Henrik, and replace him with Vally, this series is over already.

Thats all im saying.

You want your supporting cast to hold their weight at least somewhat, you want them to give you something to work with, you want them to go out and play against a team that has average 3 goals per game given up this season, and score 3 goals a game...you want them to have SOME offensive zone pressure, you want them to play HOCKEY, not to simply watch as their goaltender steals them game after game after game.

this isnt about being unhappy with the result, this is about being unhappy with the level of play. 1 team is clearly playing better than the other, and i think it has way more to do with respecting the Washington firepower way too much than anything else.

I mean, if Henrik is going to make all these mother effing ridiculous saves anyway, then why not try to go out there and score some goals by generating some offensive zone pressure? Thats what Torts was brought into do for christs sake....but really, outside of Antropov, nobody was in there playing an offensive game after the first 20 minutes. They just all collectively sat back. Watch the tape again, no hard forechecker, no 2nd man in, no pressure WHATSOEVER till they hit the blueline...that is TOM RENNEY hockey, not Torts hockey. and literally, the only way to win playing Tom Renney's BS style of hockey is to have your goaltender play out of his mind.

There is no way...NO WAY whatsoever that Henrik is going to keep up this level of play for much longer, no goalie can play like this for 2 months...well, no goalie that i can remember playing for the Rangers anyhow..i mean even Richter wasnt this good in those playoffs...he had a ton of help.

The Rangers need to stop conceding so much of the ice, and to attack the one weakness the Caps really do have...their slow, immobile defensive group, you attack that with speed and a forecheck, we showed it in the first period, we held their attack at bay by playing in their zone, we proved that you can, in fact play a team game against that team.

I dont get what is so hard to understand here...what we saw in that first period is what i want to see...EVERY...SINGLE....GAME...not just for 1 isolated period in 1 isolated game.
At least we finished the third period with a lead, hence a win....

this team looks focused! I just hope they dont go and party to celebrate because thats what they did in game 3. They all looked like they had a hangover from Zherdev's house party lol

Old
04-23-2009, 03:14 PM
PromNite
Dragon Ninja

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Why is your goalie so good?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I see everyone saying we are playing renney style game, well cmon, you kind of have to in a way...you have 21 players playing a style for 60 games or so and then a new coach comes in he cant just throw in a new style right there for the final 20 or so games of the season and playoffs, you just have to stick with that similar style, but implement ur own at the same time, he may be using renney's d style, but the team plays more aggressive, and the best players are having to be their best players, and the mentality and confidence is so different, torts has them thinking the right way for playoffs and that is how playoffs are won...so similar to renney style yes, but you cant change it from one extreme to the other in 20 games. Next season I'm sure you will see the offensive aggressive style torts wants

Old
04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
that is TOM RENNEY hockey, not Torts hockey. and literally, the only way to win playing Tom Renney's BS style of hockey is to have your goaltender play out of his mind.
Inferno, I think your frustration is from the fact that deep down you truly believe this team has the talent to score goals on a consistent basis. So you see the way they are playing now and it frustrates you because it looks a lot like the way we played under Renney.
Here is the thing though, we brought in the most offensive minded coach possible. The polar opposite of Renney. After our new offense driven coach got to know this team he realized this teams best chance to win is to play the way we are now. So far he is right. What does that tell you?

Here is what it tells me. I think it took Torts a while to really get to know this team but it appears he realized the same thing Renney realized. This team has trouble scoring on a consistent basis. We may have a lot of players making elite money but our only elite player is in our net.

So you can do one of two things.... keep ramming the ultra aggressive "safe is death" system down their throats. Even though it is obvious they 1)don't have the stamina to play it for 3 full periods 2)don't have defensemen who are capable of playing it without creating an uncomfortable amount of odd man rushes. Or you acknowledge your teams deficiencies and get the most out of what you have? Even if that means playing a style that totally contradicts what you would prefer to play. To Torts credit he is going with option #2.

Old
04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
SkinneeJ

Quote:

All I'm saying is that it's frustrating having to listen to people pretend that the goalie isn't an important position. As if we were supposed to let the caps score because they had so many shots on goal or because they made great plays or because they were 3rd in the league in scoring.

And I totally agree with you. It is at times borderline miraculous that we've been able to hang on to games in this series when we've stopped forechecking. That's not a good way to win games and it's going to put a lot of Rangers fans in the hospital with chest pains. But you won't hear me say that to a caps fan

Old
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Inferno, I think your frustration is from the fact that deep down you truly believe this team has the talent to score goals on a consistent basis. So you see the way they are playing now and it frustrates you because it looks a lot like the way we played under Renney.
Here is the thing though, we brought in the most offensive minded coach possible. The polar opposite of Renney. After our new offense driven coach got to know this team he realized this teams best chance to win is to play the way we are now. So far he is right. What does that tell you?

Here is what it tells me. I think it took Torts a while to really get to know this team but it appears he realized the same thing Renney realized. This team has trouble scoring on a consistent basis. We may have a lot of players making elite money but our only elite player is in our net.

So you can do one of two things.... keep ramming the ultra aggressive "safe is death" system down their throats. Even though it is obvious they 1)don't have the stamina to play it for 3 full periods 2)don't have defensemen who are capable of playing it without creating an uncomfortable amount of odd man rushes. Or you acknowledge your teams deficiencies and get the most out of what you have? Even if that means playing a style that totally contradicts what you would prefer to play. To Torts credit he is going with option #2.
i think torts is as frustrated here as i am, but is happy with the results that were winning. listen to him talk, hes always talking about how we need to control the puck more, we need to go after them omre..they just keep sitting back and doing nothing out there.

Old
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

if this team had the talent to control the puck more they would, its certainly not from a lack of effort. theyre up against an offensive buzzsaw that has 3 of the tops scorers in the league and a defenseman who has more points than anyone on our team by a pretty significant margin so lets be realistic. Everyone knew going in it would be on lundy to steal games. Sure the playoffs are a new season but they werent going to wake up and all of a sudden start pouring in goals and lighting it up on the powerplay...Torts realizes the cards he was dealt and has often credited renney for the work he did on the defensive end and knows theres no way they can keep up in a shootout with the caps. We saw what happened in game 3 when they tried to open it up... If they just chip pucks in and go ******* on the forecheck theres no reason why they cant beat up on the crapitals average at best defense. cmon theres no reason why you should get less than 20 shots on a defense sporting Poti as the lockdown defenseman, gimme a break, thats just sad...Heres to antro showing up again, gomez showing up at all and dubi getting rewarded for his amazing play in this series with a clutch goal. and of course more lundy thievery... LGR

Old
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
eco's bones

Washington has a lot more octane in their offense than we do. The Rangers have been conscious of making sure enough players always get back to defend--it takes away from the forecheck and plays to our strength--our advantage in goal--the downside is we've not been able to pressure Washington's weakest area--the defense--enough. So far the strategy has more than less worked. I don't think necessarily if we win this round we'll stay with that strategy against the Bruins.

Old
04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i still dont see how their amazing offense has anything to do with our inability to do anything in the offensive zone. i think we showed in the first that we can play hockey in their zone, i just think we got the lead, went into defensive mode, and tried to hang on for dear life.

i hate that.

Old
04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

When you play like crap all series long, and your goalie has to play like a GOD in order to win...well, you get what you get today, an team that thought it was a lot better than it was, and they dont play hard. Henrik is merely normal, and the team gets murdered. Cant have your team play like this game in and game out, its going to haunt you.

Old
04-24-2009, 08:01 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
When you play like crap all series long, and your goalie has to play like a GOD in order to win...well, you get what you get today, an team that thought it was a lot better than it was, and they dont play hard. Henrik is merely normal, and the team gets murdered. Cant have your team play like this game in and game out, its going to haunt you.
How dare you criticize the team! The offense doesn't matter, we have dominant defense & goaltending! You have some nerve to actually be realisitic about the Rangers' situation!!

Seriously, though, in the playoffs you need to have a good balance of goaltending, defense, and offense. The offense has been an achilles' heel all year and it will be our eventual undoing.

Old
04-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
How dare you criticize the team! The offense doesn't matter, we have dominant defense & goaltending! You have some nerve to actually be realisitic about the Rangers' situation!!

Seriously, though, in the playoffs you need to have a good balance of goaltending, defense, and offense. The offense has been an achilles' heel all year and it will be our eventual undoing.
this is why i was *****ing about this team after a win that put us up 3 games to 1...the way were playing we should not, and probably will not win this series. This kind of hockey does not win over the long run.

Old
04-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

We have a GDT for today's game.

Closed Thread