HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette

Old
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
he was being sarcastic, obviously.
Didnt notice the smiley.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Didnt notice the smiley.
Or the fact that he was mentioning people with French-sounding names who don't speak French, and English-sounding names who DO speak French.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Or the fact that he was mentioning people with French-sounding names who don't speak French, and English-sounding names who DO speak French.
Savard speaks french. Which is why it threw me off a bit.
Should have read more clearly..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Pat Quinn is the best available coach, he always gets the most out of his teams.
20 seasons of coaching in the NHL , and never won a cup . It's less than Jean Perron .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Riverboat Gambler

CanadianErrant brought up Clement Jodoin in another thread. Not experienced (at the NHL head coach level). But he knows Montreal and he's an interesting character.

Green Coaches are all the rage these days.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Yeah, but Montreal has always been a trend-setter, they were onto the green coach craze four coaches before everyone started on it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Hey he may be related to Jack Laviolette, the Habs' first star!

I think we should hire the best person available. But he has to be overwhelmingly better than a french coach that is also available. Is there an anglo coach outthere that is so unreal superior to anybody else? I can't think of anybody. There COULD have been somebody but Lindsay Ruff signed another year with Buffalo.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yeah, but Montreal has always been a trend-setter, they were onto the green coach craze four coaches before everyone started on it.
that's true.

We'll go with something completely off the map.

Felipe Alou

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
jamz

Jaques Lemaire

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The thing that bothered me about Laviolette, is he never wore a poppy like the other visiting coaches when in town. Pissed me off.
Seriously?

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
habtastic

Boivin is generally a smart man and at this point I think he will have come to the realization that the media and the fans will have nothing to complain about if this team is winning. When Carbo was coach, people were just as pissed (of course it reached a crescendo in the last game). Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I think after having such a humiliating season, he will want a team that will be a solid contended and that includes a coach who can get them there. Laviolette would be great. I'm really not sold on Hartley.

Then there's the wildcard of Roy, but somehow that just seems like throwing a bomb into a burning building. Wish we had a Broudreau-type coach.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
DDIHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshmegland View Post
speaking french shouldn't be a priority when it comes to signing a head coach for the Habs. The best possible man should count as the 1st priority.
Even if say that 10,000 times, if Pierre Boivin thinks it matters, than it matters.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:44 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Jaques Lemaire
I wan't to enjoy watching the team play and, you know, score. Our D problems stemmed from one thing - Markov (and then Schneider). Also forwards coming back to help them, but that's something that a good attacking team does anyway.

Old
04-24-2009, 10:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
Even if say that 10,000 times, if Pierre Boivin thinks it matters, than it matters.
Do you think deep down, he really thinks it matters more than winning, or that it was a PR move?

Old
04-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Someone told me that he said on Off the Record that he IS speaking french. I don't know how well, but a crash course during the summer could be nice...
He's my favourite in the race so far.

Can anyone actually confirm this? I've never heard anything about him speaking french..

Quote:
CanadianErrant brought up Clement Jodoin in another thread. Not experienced (at the NHL head coach level). But he knows Montreal and he's an interesting character.

Jodoin can't speak english, like at ALL. And he has no Nhl experience, so no thanks.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:10 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Pat is a 100 years old, and he won't get results out of our bunch of gulless players.
would have been perfect for the centennial!

Old
04-24-2009, 11:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Laviolette looks too much of a nice guy to coach the Habs.. We need a dictator to kick some ass!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Pat Quinn is the best available coach, he always gets the most out of his teams.
The guy that has never won a Cup in a lengthy coaching career "always get the most out of his teams?"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

If you think Carbo had no grip on his team, good luck with Jodoin, he has 0 charisma, has been cleared by Gainey as soon as Bob got hired... Among all LHJMQ coaches, Guy Boucher would be the better option..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Jaques Lemaire
would have been perfect, but he cant stand MTL medias, already said he wasnt interested..

Old
04-24-2009, 11:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The thing that bothered me about Laviolette, is he never wore a poppy like the other visiting coaches when in town. Pissed me off.
That is horrifying! Did you notify the authorities?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Laviolette looks too much of a nice guy to coach the Habs.. We need a dictator to kick some ass!
He may look like that on the TSN panel or off-ice, but he is a good coach and gets a lot out of players from what i've seen. I wouldn't say he looks like a nice guy. Also, wouldn't you sort of classify Carbo as a dictator type? His strategy didn't really work, but maybe he used it in an ineffective way. I'm more open to a coach who will help the players improve and know how to push the right buttons instead of just getting mad at them. I think it's clear that it doesn't work with the current team.

Old
04-25-2009, 12:07 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
He may look like that on the TSN panel or off-ice, but he is a good coach and gets a lot out of players from what i've seen. I wouldn't say he looks like a nice guy. Also, wouldn't you sort of classify Carbo as a dictator type? His strategy didn't really work, but maybe he used it in an ineffective way. I'm more open to a coach who will help the players improve and know how to push the right buttons instead of just getting mad at them. I think it's clear that it doesn't work with the current team.
Carbo was obviously not respected from some of his vets, he tried to establish some distance with his players thinking he had the absolution from Gainey and the fans, that his decisions would eventually turn in his favour but the players (especially the vets) didnt react like professionals, they made in his hands.. I dont think it was really in himself to have that kind of approach, he is too much of a nice guy.. What we need is a guy like Joel Quenville or Jacques Lemaire, the kind of coach you dont have the choice to take seriously.. If Gainey cant find a coach with such a notoriety, he is better to come back behind the bench..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 04-25-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old
04-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Laviolette is the very definition of a player's coach. He has the same reputation at every stop. He came in the first season and the players were refreshed by his lack of emphasis on defensive structure and responded by scoring a ton of goals. However, once teams figured out our aggressive two man forechecking system it created a lot of odd man chances and breakaways. Laviolette's refusal to change his system is what ultimately lead to his demise in Carolina. To an extent, he caught lightning in a bottle in 05-06 while teams adjusted to the new style. With equal parts luck and foresight, Carolina had created a team that could skate with any team in the league in terms of pure speed and with the focus on obstruction they drew a lot of penalties and scored a lot of goals that way. As the league has settled back down, obstruction has once again found its place in the game and the system suffered as a result.

The Good about Laviolette:

- Players that are hard to motivate are usually at their best under a coach like this because all players love to play offense. Yashin even bought into his system in New York for a while there. Kovalev would likely respond very well to a hire like this.

- The focus on offensive hockey makes game exciting to watch even if the results aren't always favorable. You're not going to see many 2-1 games in his system.

- Laviolette has a history of getting quite a bit of production from his bottom six as a result of eliminating the "checking line", and trying to roll four lines that all have the intention of scoring points. Jason Blake was a product of Laviolette's faith in his grinders. If Laviolette sees a player with offensive instincts that aren't being utilized, he can bring production out of them by changing their role and their approach to the game.

- With speed being at a premium, the system that Laviolette employs is very easy for mobile defensemen to adjust to. This can be a positive as well as a negative, but it makes the defense more finesse based than a grinding physical force. Skating defensemen are requisite for running his system and they also must have a strong first pass because maintaining speed through the neutral zone will make or break his clubs.

- He is very brief with the media. He will not call anyone out in public or embarrass his players. In fact, he's so cliche driven and boring that even the Montreal media would probably get bored with him. He has very little sense of humor and isn't very personable. He will never make himself the story by saying something out of the way about his team or an opposing team. He is strictly opposed to creating drama and is a huge advocate of team building activities even in the offseason. In other words, he's so squeaky clean that it would be hard for Montreal to find fault with him aside from his performance.

Bad things about Laviolette:

- He isn't a great coach for young talent because he's not a great teacher of fundamentals. He knows what he wants from his players, but he has trouble getting that across. With his lack of defined roles, many young players from Carolina were quoted as saying they had no idea what Laviolette wanted from them. If he wanted them to grind, if he wanted them to be scorers, if he wanted them to defend.... most had no clue. The best players under Laviolette were the veterans by far.

- The system is very demanding. Unlike systems that are more passive and are based on economy of movement, Laviolette works a system that is based on 100% hustle, aggressive forechecking, and opportunistic offense. Laviolette also doesn't like to roll 4 lines, so that means the minutes are more top heavy for the Top 9 and injuries are frequent. Muscle fatigue injuries like pulled muscles and just being overworked weren't uncommon. Players would sometimes wilt in the second half of the season after being leaned upon too heavy in the first half.

- Goaltending is, by far, the most demanding position in a Laviolette coached system. As a result of all this aggressive pinching around the ice, the goaltender will have to face no shortage of very strong scoring chances against. It is no coincidence that since Maurice took over the Hurricanes that Cam Ward has been posting Vezina worthy numbers. Goalie stats take a beating and you'll need to have a goaltender that only cares about winning much like Grant Fuhr behind those Oiler dynasty teams that ran the same kind of run and gun operation. It's not a question of will the goaltender be hung out to dry, it's just a question of how many times and how many he stops.

- Slower and more physical players become obsolete under Laviolette. He does not believe in having a spot reserved on the roster for a goon. Since his system is predicated on having strong foot speed and a lot of motor, these players will find themselves on the wrong end of the icetime battle. Even when your team is getting beaten around, the system will not change. Laviolette feels the response to borderline play by the opposition is making them pay on the scoreboard. At times that is consolation enough, but if you like the eye for an eye stuff then Laviolette is not your man.

Oh well, sorry for going off the deep end but I just saw this thread and figured i'd throw my hat in on my observations about Laviolette and why he would be good or bad for the Habs.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:16 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
No. .

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:52 AM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Laviolette's Life and Family
Good post, hats off to you.

Given your analysis and the fact that Don Lever might be an assistant/associate coach I'd take the risk on him.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote