HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09-10 Nashville Predators

Old
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
I guess people forget the good years when the Preds were over 100 points and acquiring guys to try to win in the playoffs. To say Poile's somehow cheap is ridiculous. It's true we didn't make any playoff noise those years and then the original owner "blew up the team".

Poile now has a whole two years with the new owners, not even two years. First year was crippled by the blowup, second year by Radu leaving.

Some times you have to rebuild. This "get a future hall of famer so we can win in 09/10" type of stuff is old. We are REBUILDING and I hope Poile doesn't mortgage the future in the silly hope that next years team can be some sort of force.

I am fully confident that next years team can make improvements, possibly make the playoffs, and be positioned to be even better in future years. And that's ok with me. I really don't want to see them spend a lot on free agents or restructuring contracts of guys we trade for. Build with young guys.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
As long as Poile remains a tight wad this team will forever be a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners who play over their heads for part of the season -and oh yeah - a team on which the goalies are expected to be the star of the game every night.
I didn't realize Poile controlled the budget.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I guess people forget the good years when the Preds were over 100 points and acquiring guys to try to win in the playoffs. To say Poile's somehow cheap is ridiculous. It's true we didn't make any playoff noise those years and then the original owner "blew up the team".

Poile now has a whole two years with the new owners, not even two years. First year was crippled by the blowup, second year by Radu leaving.

Some times you have to rebuild. This "get a future hall of famer so we can win in 09/10" type of stuff is old. We are REBUILDING and I hope Poile doesn't mortgage the future in the silly hope that next years team can be some sort of force.

I am fully confident that next years team can make improvements, possibly make the playoffs, and be positioned to be even better in future years. And that's ok with me. I really don't want to see them spend a lot on free agents or restructuring contracts of guys we trade for. Build with young guys.
We are not rebuilding. We only have a few more years with Arnott, Dumont, Weber, Suter and company, before we can't afford them anymore.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We are not rebuilding. We only have a few more years with Arnott, Dumont, Weber, Suter and company, before we can't afford them anymore.
I'd say we were rebuilding the past two years. When you lose as many guys as we did, you are pretty much forced to rebuild. Luckily, Poile build a pretty deep team, so we were able to stay competitive through the rebuild. I'd say the build is close to over by now. I think this should be the summer we go after a big free agent (Sullivan would be ideal, IMO)

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I'd say we were rebuilding the past two years. When you lose as many guys as we did, you are pretty much forced to rebuild. Luckily, Poile build a pretty deep team, so we were able to stay competitive through the rebuild. I'd say the build is close to over by now. I think this should be the summer we go after a big free agent (Sullivan would be ideal, IMO)
I don't understand this ... how is Sullivan ideal ? ... he's one missed stretch pass to being on the shelf for the rest of his life, and he's wanting a lot of money for a player who's missed a good portion of his previous contract with a busted back

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I don't understand this ... how is Sullivan ideal ? ... he's one missed stretch pass to being on the shelf for the rest of his life, and he's wanting a lot of money for a player who's missed a good portion of his previous contract with a busted back
I was curious if anyone knows of any hockey players who have had a similar injury and if they made a comeback from the injury, was it something that plagued them throughout the rest of their careers? With a lot of injuries you can point to people accross the league and get some expectation of what the future looks like, but I have heard no examples of people having this same/similar injury. I really like what Sullivan brings on and off the ice but his injury gives me cause for concern.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:43 AM
matt trick

Hey just out of curiosity what would you give for Michalek?

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Hey just out of curiosity what would you give for Michalek?
Did Thornton's Heart wear off on him ?

Old
04-25-2009, 02:01 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Did Thornton's Heart wear off on him ?
I am of the opinion that moving Thornton or Marleau destroys the team regardless of what comes back, so once again someone takes the fall. I would prefer to move Clowe, but Michalek has higher value IMO. The team would want picks and prospects.

Old
04-25-2009, 05:53 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Did someone say Ryan Clowe?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

I would be very interested in either Clowe OR Michalek. In fact, given our weaknesses, Clowe probably would be a better pickup for us.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
So you're just going to ignore the great hockey he played after he returned? Sure it's risky, but for the money he could turn out to be a great pickup. Since we're a cash strapped team, we have to take risks. Playing it safe will lead us to mediocrity.

Old
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I would be very interested in either Clowe OR Michalek. In fact, given our weaknesses, Clowe probably would be a better pickup for us.
I was discussing this with another Sharks poster and he seemed to think that Joel Ward fills the same role as Clowe, so Michalek could be a better fit (he would be great on a line with Erat). Of course there is nothing wrong with two Clowe type players, and you know your team better than either of us do.

Personally, I prefer to keep Michalek over Clowe just because Michalek's speed fits McLellan's system perfectly, but I feel he also has higher value. What do you think Poile would offer for either player.

I think San Jose would be looking at:
Ward
Jones
Hambius
Blum
Franson
Wilson (yeah right!)
11th overall

Or they may choose to trade Cheechoo and keep both.

Old
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
So you're just going to ignore the great hockey he played after he returned? Sure it's risky, but for the money he could turn out to be a great pickup. Since we're a cash strapped team, we have to take risks. Playing it safe will lead us to mediocrity.
no one's questioning Sully's contribution when he came back...but can you honestly say you weren't a little nervous every time he took a hit or stretched for a pass? How much more nervous would you be if you knew he was signed for two years?

and as far as the money, Sully has shown no indication of taking any kind of "home-town discount." In fact, his intention seems to be, "See what I can get, and if Nashville can keep pace, great...if not...see ya"

For the same money, doesn't it seem to make more sense to sign someone younger and less risky?

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
echlfreak

Radulov-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-UFA (Cheap one)
Jones-Wilson-Ward
Belak-Smithson-Tootoo
Hornqvist

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zanon
Klein-Sultzer
UFA or Blum

Rinne
MacIntyre or Cheap UFA

Sullivan -3.2
Bonk -1.7
Ellis- 2.0
DeVries -2.7
Nichol -750K
Fiddler -850K
Philstrom -450K
Kositinen -700
Total Approx 12M

Radulov +1.0
Wilson +3.0 with bonuses
Sultzer +700
Klein +250 raise
Zanon +1.75M
Smithson +250
Blum +1.5M with bonuses
Total Approx 8M

approx 4M to fill out roster with a top six fwd and a back up goalie

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
no one's questioning Sully's contribution when he came back...but can you honestly say you weren't a little nervous every time he took a hit or stretched for a pass? How much more nervous would you be if you knew he was signed for two years?

and as far as the money, Sully has shown no indication of taking any kind of "home-town discount." In fact, his intention seems to be, "See what I can get, and if Nashville can keep pace, great...if not...see ya"

For the same money, doesn't it seem to make more sense to sign someone younger and less risky?
This young player you speak of will also be far less skilled. Like I said, playing it safe will just lead us to average players.

Maybe ideal was a poor choice of words, but I still think Sullivan is one of the better options.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Bump with roster link

Old
09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
OpenWheel

Too bad the predictions/wishes of getting Rads back this year didn't pan out.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Any further idea as to what the lines will be?

Erat or Dumont on the 1st line RW this year?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Any further idea as to what the lines will be?

Erat or Dumont on the 1st line RW this year?
Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Erat - Legwand - Santorelli
Jones - Goc - Hornqvist/Ward
Smithson - Guite - Tootoo

Extra: Belak

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Boullion - Laakso

Rinne/Ellis

Old
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Jones - Goc - Hornqvist/Ward

Extra: Belak

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Boullion - Laakso

Rinne/Ellis
That's what our opening night lineup will be, but hopefully by Thanksgiving we'll have this:

Jones - Wilson- Ward
Belak, Goc

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Boullion/Sulzer - Laakso

Rinne/Ellis

Old
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's what our opening night lineup will be, but hopefully by Thanksgiving we'll have this:

Jones - Wilson- Ward
Belak, Goc

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Boullion/Sulzer - Laakso

Rinne/Ellis
You gotta let go of those binkies Worst.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:55 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
You gotta let go of those binkies Worst.
What in the blue cheese dressing of hell are you talking about? Guite has earned a roster spot. He was the team's #2 preseason face-off man behind Wilson, and he has a better chance of scoring goals than Goc does. We need him on the penalty kill.

No where did I put that frying pan...

Old
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What in the blue cheese dressing of hell are you talking about? Guite has earned a roster spot. He was the team's #2 preseason face-off man behind Wilson, and he has a better chance of scoring goals than Goc does. We need him on the penalty kill.

No where did I put that frying pan...
I'm refering to the fact I'd rather have Hornqvist over Guite. The centers as is look like Arnott-Legwand-Wilson-Goc-Smithson. Frankly, I'd also like to see Spaling as well.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm refering to the fact I'd rather have Hornqvist over Guite. The centers as is look like Arnott-Legwand-Wilson-Goc-Smithson. Frankly, I'd also like to see Spaling as well.
Rushing Spaling to the NHL is pointless, and doing so just to put him on the fourth line stifles his offensive development. The latter is true for Hörnqvist as well. Let those guys log a bunch of minutes in Milwaukee and focus on the things they need to improve on, and let the guys who don't have exhausted their potential kill penalties and take the paltry minutes that give them a reason to be in the NHL to begin with.