HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts suspended?? (Update: Suspended for game 6)

Old
04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Look at every other piece of glass. There is something on the top that holds them together. After the incident that piece fell off, which is why they had security come on to the bench to fix it. The guy who tries to block it knocks the piece right off.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Freeze it at 0:21 seconds..you clearly see a woman at the leftmost part of the screen holding her head. Messed up man.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Freeze it at 0:21 seconds..you clearly see a woman at the leftmost part of the screen holding her head. Messed up man.
Wow. He should get suspended for the rest of the playoffs. I don't care what brought that on, but you don't react that way. Classless.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Chris 84

He definitley got it over the glass and hit her.

Time to scratch yourself Torts.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:31 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd be shocked if he wasn't suspended and fined a huge chunk of $$$$$.

Who knows? Maybe if he's suspended it'll light a fire under our hometwon heroes and they'll win tomorrow.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:32 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nope, sqish is right, thats the piece holding together the plexiglass, the bottle is seen going into the seats, you can see Cap fans looking over at it.
Yeah..I saw it a second time and edited my post. He nailed the fat woman in the head.

The problem for Torts is that security was right there and nobody can prove he was sprayed or hit with anything.

I mean, even if Torts was hit with something, you would think somebody being involved in hockey all his life and coached in a SCF would know how to handle crazy and rowdy opposing fans.

We've all been pushed over the edge by a few people once or twice, so I understand.

But if some guy in a bar spills a drink on you and you turn and swing at him and instead clock a 50-year-old woman in the face -- sorry, you gotta face the consequences.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:44 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

My bad guys, I mislead you in my first post, I really thought that was the bottle falling back. Squishy is right.

Tss tss tss, And I was wondering during the game where the thing maintaining the glass was gone... Well, I know now...

Watched the game on Versus, Does somebody could post the vid of the MSG feed showing the incident please?

Do you really think a suspension is on his way? Maybe a (big) fine would be enough?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Schoenfeld is more than qualified to be on the bench if a suspension is handed down.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:48 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Schoenfeld is more than qualified to be on the bench if a suspension is handed down.
Yeah, but not all alone. Who assists? Is Pelino still around? How 'bout Slats?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Allaire and Shoeny for sure, maybe Pelino too. Pelino is still with the Organization.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Preferably someone who knows how a power play works and can count how many players are on the ice.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Turambar

Caps fans were just upset because they knew they were watching their team play its last home game of the season.

Bunch of scum.

Caps fans are the epitome of "bandwagoners".

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Turambar

Quote:

But if some guy in a bar spills a drink on you and you turn and swing at him and instead clock a 50-year-old woman in the face -- sorry, you gotta face the consequences.
Well it's a good thing they weren't in a bar, and that Torts didn't swing at the old lady. Maybe that lady should have a talk with the ******* who threw a beer on Tortorella, because he's the reason she was hit in the head, with a plastic waterbottle.

What would it have said to the team, if Torts just stood there and did nothing? What should he have done, started a new piece of gum?

Sorry, folks, this isn't Tom Renney's Rangers any longer, and tomorrow, Caps fans will see that for themselves. At least Torts showed some fire, unlike the rest of the team. Maybe they'll take a cue. Hell, I'd prefer they throw waterbottles into the crowd all night than play a game like they did.

Something else that should be noted: Notice how everyone is talking about Torts, and not many are takling about how poorly the team played? Torts deflected attention away from his guys perfectly, and now the Caps will be looking over their shoulders all game tomorrow, and they'll be at least somewhat distracted.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
gravytrain6t

They should have taken that big black guy and made him a security guard. Aren't there supposed to be security guards standing right behind each teams bench and facing the crowd? Not only to keep an eye out for fans throwing or squirting things over the glass but to look out for fights? It's the playoffs. Everyone's emotions are obviously running high and then throw in the alcohol balls and the situation is screaming for beefed up security.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Well it's a good thing they weren't in a bar, and that Torts didn't swing at the old lady. Maybe that lady should have a talk with the ******* who threw a beer on Tortorella, because he's the reason she was hit in the head, with a plastic waterbottle.

What would it have said to the team, if Torts just stood there and did nothing? What should he have done, started a new piece of gum?

Sorry, folks, this isn't Tom Renney's Rangers any longer, and tomorrow, Caps fans will see that for themselves. At least Torts showed some fire, unlike the rest of the team. Maybe they'll take a cue. Hell, I'd prefer they throw waterbottles into the crowd all night than play a game like they did.

Something else that should be noted: Notice how everyone is talking about Torts, and not many are takling about how poorly the team played? Torts deflected attention away from his guys perfectly, and now the Caps will be looking over their shoulders all game tomorrow, and they'll be at least somewhat distracted.
Excuse me?

This was the great plan of Torts, "I know, I'll whack some innocent woman on the head with a water bottle to protect my team and to show them some passion"?
Utter nonsense.

Just stupid from Torts and he's got to face the consequences. We can hardly blame Caps fans for being pissed off about that.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Man I ♥ this guy!
Can any1 see T Renney doing this? lol

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:32 PM
dynamoovechkin

John Tortorella= The Sean Avery of Coaches. Hopefully Torts ill-advised penalty does not come back to hurt the team either.

It's really nothing in the scheme of things, other than petty nonsense, but it does shine a poor light on the organization.

Hey, we've got a hockey game to win folks! Let's go get it and put these guys away!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
Regardless of where the bottle went, he attempted to/did throw it and also held the hockey stick in a threatening manner. He's going to get suspended, and rightfully so. Maybe he should worry about coaching the hockey team in front of him and stop being a doucher.
That's kindof his thing. It's not like he doesnt have a long history of bizarre behaviour. This bottle toss doesnt even hold a candle to either the "bus incident" or the "we know what we did" interview, IMO, in terms of his weird tales.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:43 PM
MountVancouver'94

This is absurd about no one throwing anything at Torts, or it being a "misconception of the announcers".

Me and my wife saw it with my own eyes and I am sorry I deleted from my DVR. A beer cup was throw at the glass, at Torts. End of story.

I am sure MSG has this in their corner.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:50 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Guys...watch the video...i think Dikembe Mutombo works security there because the man in black with both hands up clearly rejects Torts' water bottle attempt into the bench.

The bottle didnt hit anybody except Dikembe's hands.

OMG wait I saw it again. You're right. The plastic thing that holds the glass together is what fell. The bottle launched into the stands. Holy crap!! At the end of the video you a fat woman in red holding her head in the second row up on the left. Thank god she is ok. She looks a little on the older side.

That's messed up. Kinda ironic that Torts was talking about discipline.

He should be suspended. If he felt threatened, all he had to do was ask one of his assistants to tell security to handle the situation. If he got water dumped on him, he still needs to refrain from hurling objects in the crowd.

If i am that woman's husband or son, I am making it my life's mission to knock Torts out.
Your 100% correct. The bottle did go over and did hit that chunky lady who was holding her head after it hit her. I doubt she was the one who threw the beer if beer got thrown.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
levski87

Haha, that is awesome. Torts don't play around. Man, Torts is already my favorite coach, haha. Stop with all this "classless" talk, its such bs.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WestsideNYR

Torts

Torts has every right to defend himself because his team did nothing for him on the ice and Washington Security didn't protect him off the ice. If the team had half his fire, they wouldn't be getting shut out every other game. I don't care what any Caps fan moron had to say.

His suit was soaked.

He is NOT getting suspended.

End of story.

Let's take it tomorrow.

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GarretJoseph

Let Avery Coach.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Your 100% correct. The bottle did go over and did hit that chunky lady who was holding her head after it hit her. I doubt she was the one who threw the beer if beer got thrown.
Guys...a beer was thrown. That is not up for discussion... I will go to court and testify as such. MSG showed it. I saw it, my wife saw it.

CSI Grissom has been brought out of retirement to analyze the glass and Tort's jacket for beer spatter.

It's just not anywhere on the internet...

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I saw the incident, and I don't think he should be. He didn't go in the crowd and track the guy down. There are bigger fish to fry.

Last season a Caps fan beaned Carter in the head with a bottle during an interview.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote