HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts suspended?? (Update: Suspended for game 6)

Old
04-25-2009, 01:58 PM
MountVancouver'94

vCash: 500
I am so conflicted here...a Flyers, and Phillies fan, posting in our defense. This is a weird morning.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:59 PM
NCRanger

I don't excuse Tortorella for throwing a water bottle. Suspend him, fine, go ahead. Suspend Orr and Voros too. And while we're at it, suspend Avery for just being Avery. We can't have players and coaches attacking fans, that's not good, and needs to stop immediately.

On the other hand, now I have no idea what was said, thrown, spit, or hurled in the direction of the Rangers bench, fans cannot be as involved in the games as they seem to be. Taunting, rude chants, etc. have been part of the game probably since it's inception, but in the 30+ years I've been follwing this game, things have gotten out of hand. Frankly, some of the arenas in-game promotions cross the line. I have no idea if the Verizon Center's jumbotron "encouraged" fans or not, but that nonsense DOES happen around the league, yet NOBODY says anything about it.

The other night, the Devils jumbotron showed a Devil fan throwing a pie in the face of a Hurricanes "fan". Why? Is that fun? It's freaking stupid. The first Canes-Ranger game I went to in Raleigh in 2000 "featured" a guy on ice in a Ranger jersey with a "voice" with a heavy NY accent making "fun" of "the south", only to have the Hurricane mascot come out and tackle him. Again, what the **** is the point?

Why can't we get back to going to the GAME? Why do we need all of this side-show "entertainment" catering to the bandwagon ADD-afflicted idiot? Some of the stuff that goes on in these arenas borders on WWE style nonsense. It only seems as the next logical step would be for a fan to go over the line of taunts into attacking a player or a coach. And with the way the league has demonized Avery, when will a "fan" WITH THE TACIT ENCOURAGEMENT OF EVERYONE EXCEPT TRUE HOCKEY FANS, do something to try and injure the guy on ice?

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:59 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
I am so conflicted here...a Flyers, and Phillies fan, posting in our defense. This is a weird morning.
If you're going to be a unruly fan you deserve whatever you get, and I fully support Torts in this case. And trust me I've seen unruly fans. Sucks that a random lady it looks like got hit but sometimes things happen. And to take out your coach in the playoffs, I'd be pretty pissed, cause I wouldn't want the assistant coaches leading a team in the playoffs.

Fine...yes.

Suspension...no.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:02 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Yeah..I saw it a second time and edited my post. He nailed the fat woman in the head.

The problem for Torts is that security was right there and nobody can prove he was sprayed or hit with anything.

I mean, even if Torts was hit with something, you would think somebody being involved in hockey all his life and coached in a SCF would know how to handle crazy and rowdy opposing fans.

We've all been pushed over the edge by a few people once or twice, so I understand.

But if some guy in a bar spills a drink on you and you turn and swing at him and instead clock a 50-year-old woman in the face -- sorry, you gotta face the consequences.
I am going to post this every time someone questions whether the beer was thrown....BECAUSE IT WAS. Anyone watching MSG saw it.

Problem was, most Ranger fans turned the game off at that point and didnt see it. TRUST ME. A beer was thrown.

Old
04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I saw the incident, and I don't think he should be. He didn't go in the crowd and track the guy down. There are bigger fish to fry.

Last season a Caps fan beaned Carter in the head with a bottle during an interview.

Unbelievable.

But this is a topsy-turvy world when a Flyer fan agrees with a Ranger fan, and vice-versa.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Turambar

Quote:
I am going to post this every time someone questions whether the beer was thrown....BECAUSE IT WAS. Anyone watching MSG saw it.

Problem was, most Ranger fans turned the game off at that point and didnt see it. TRUST ME. A beer was thrown.
I saw it as well. Torts was actually facing the glass at the time, if I remember correctly. But he clearly flinched and instinctly went to guard himself, and beer clearly was tossed at him and hit him. I don't think the beer came over the glass, though. It actually seemed to come through the space between the pieces of glass, which would lead me to believe that the fan through the beer at the glass, or from close-up just flung the cup toward that spot, because I didn't see a cup, I just saw the liquid.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I saw it as well. Torts was actually facing the glass at the time, if I remember correctly. But he clearly flinched and instinctly went to guard himself, and beer clearly was tossed at him and hit him. I don't think the beer came over the glass, though. It actually seemed to come through the space between the pieces of glass, which would lead me to believe that the fan through the beer at the glass, or from close-up just flung the cup toward that spot, because I didn't see a cup, I just saw the liquid.
:hand clap:

Thank you!

Old
04-25-2009, 02:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Unbelievable.

But this is a topsy-turvy world when a Flyer fan agrees with a Ranger fan, and vice-versa.
Not really. I've spent 4 of the past 5 years in Central Jersey, New Brunswick, and two of my best friends from Rutgers are a Devils fan and Rangers fan. I've always remained true to the Flyers, but learn to deal with the shortcomings of the other 2.

That and I hate this series because I'm torn between hoping you guys lose and hoping Ovechkin loses.

Whichever way the series goes, I took the unbiases approach on this situation and truly feel if it happened to John Stevens I'd be behind him 100%, which is why I think Torts is right.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
throwback54milkman

wouldn't it be ironic if in the game that torts benched avery for being a piece of sh**, HE gets suspended

throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:02 PM
gravytrain6t

[QUOTE=JLHockeyKnight;19274361]If you're going to be a unruly fan you deserve whatever you get, and I fully support Torts in this case. And trust me I've seen unruly fans. Sucks that a random lady it looks like got hit but sometimes things happen. And to take out your coach in the playoffs, I'd be pretty pissed, cause I wouldn't want the assistant coaches leading a team in the playoffs.

Fine...yes.

Suspension...no.[
/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I've already seen a post from a Rangers fan saying Tortorella should be suspended for the playoffs....He's classless and this and that....Since when has hockey been a classy sport? I think what's more ironic is a Flyers fan showing more support for "Torts" then some Rangers fans....

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
AXN

Before criticizing a player for not belonging in the league he should consider curbing his own antics. This is not a good time to get suspended. Benching Avery righ now is the most stupid thing I have ever seen any coach do. The team did not need a shakeup after a 2-1 win. He ruined their chances of winning that game. I hope Avery and the rest of the team responds well on Sunday. I really hope he is coaching on Sunday.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Before criticizing a player for not belonging in the league he should consider curbing his own antics. This is not a good time to get suspended. Benching Avery righ now is the most stupid thing I have ever seen any coach do. The team did not need a shakeup after a 2-1 win. He ruined their chances of winning that game. I hope Avery and the rest of the team responds well on Sunday. I really hope he is coaching on Sunday.
I agree, but...

How can a coach tell his players not to retaliate on the ice in the heat of passion when he's throwing things at fans separated by a piece of glass?

It's like the parents who tell their kids not to smoke while lighting up, it's hypocritical and weakens the message.

Edit: Sorry AXN, meant to quote GravyTrain:

"Are you kidding? I've already seen a post from a Rangers fan saying Tortorella should be suspended for the playoffs....He's classless and this and that....Since when has hockey been a classy sport? I think what's more ironic is a Flyers fan showing more support for "Torts" then some Rangers fans...."

Last edited by pavvento: 04-25-2009 at 03:28 PM.
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
045NYR

Quote:
Guys...a beer was thrown. That is not up for discussion... I will go to court and testify as such. MSG showed it. I saw it, my wife saw it.

CSI Grissom has been brought out of retirement to analyze the glass and Tort's jacket for beer spatter.

It's just not anywhere on the internet...
I agree with you, they showed a replay during the game that showed the guy with the beard throwing a beer at Torts and splashing all over him. That doesnt make what Torts did right though.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Classic. Torts with the stick in his hand like the old cranky neighbor telling a kid to get off his lawn.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Other than Tortorella's suit, looks like no one was injured ... so I personally found the whole thing pretty damn funny.
What about the chunky lady holding her head? LMAO

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:30 PM
jniklast

if he gets suspended he (and we) can't complain. he's a professional and you just shouldn't do something like this.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:35 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Isn't it funny how sometimes the most overlooked situations come back to haunt us?

Like the time you got in a car for a quick ride home from school.. with a drug dealer.. and the next thing you know you're in jail?

Or the time you have an open house party.. the cops come.. you get off.. but because someone pissed on your neighbors lawn you are arrested in the morning?

All hypotheticals.. but this is just such retardation. I doubt Tortorella thought he would receive a suspension out of this.. and if he is removed from the Rangers bench.. and the Rangers go on to lose the next two(hypothetical).. the end of the Rangers season would be due to John Tortorella.

Man, what goes on?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:37 PM
JohnAmarante*

A suspension is uncalled for. I can see him being fined for sure, but if they suspend him that is ludicrous. It was extremely unprofessional, but it was provoked.

JohnAmarante* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
JohnAmarante*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Isn't it funny how sometimes the most overlooked situations come back to haunt us?

Like the time you got in a car for a quick ride home from school.. with a drug dealer.. and the next thing you know you're in jail?

Or the time you have an open house party.. the cops come.. you get off.. but because someone pissed on your neighbors lawn you are arrested in the morning?

Man, what goes on?
You need to stop hanging around with the wrong people dude, get your life together.

JohnAmarante* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Apparently they interviewed the people in the first rows and no fan threw anything on him.
"I'll believe this when my **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatt View Post
I think the bigger issue is terrible security if Torts had beer thrown on him at all. The Verizon Center claims it didn't happen....but would they admit it if it did? The Verizon Center also says from multiple sources that 'no one was ejected'.
I believe that verizon security protocol states that if the individual committing the offense is in capitals gear no action shall be taken. This would seem to make sense in my case where as I was leaving a"fan" got out of her seat and started flipping me off with no provocation, the usher saw this and told me to just keep walking and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Taunting, rude chants, etc. have been part of the game probably since it's inception, but in the 30+ years I've been follwing this game, things have gotten out of hand. Frankly, some of the arenas in-game promotions cross the line. I have no idea if the Verizon Center's jumbotron "encouraged" fans or not, but that nonsense DOES happen around the league, yet NOBODY says anything about it.

The other night, the Devils jumbotron showed a Devil fan throwing a pie in the face of a Hurricanes "fan". Why? Is that fun? It's freaking stupid. The first Canes-Ranger game I went to in Raleigh in 2000 "featured" a guy on ice in a Ranger jersey with a "voice" with a heavy NY accent making "fun" of "the south", only to have the Hurricane mascot come out and tackle him. Again, what the **** is the point?

Why can't we get back to going to the GAME? Why do we need all of this side-show "entertainment" catering to the bandwagon ADD-afflicted idiot? Some of the stuff that goes on in these arenas borders on WWE style nonsense. It only seems as the next logical step would be for a fan to go over the line of taunts into attacking a player or a coach. And with the way the league has demonized Avery, when will a "fan" WITH THE TACIT ENCOURAGEMENT OF EVERYONE EXCEPT TRUE HOCKEY FANS, do something to try and injure the guy on ice?
I can attest to the fact that verizon center does in fact encourage this sort of behavior. Ted Leonsis doesn't like opposing fans in his building. I actually have a friend who used to work in caps marketing and when I asked him about why this kind of stuff is done now, he said all the knowledgeable hockey people have left. Which is I guess why they show america's funniest home videos during stoppages instead of hockey stuff.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
if he gets suspended he (and we) can't complain. he's a professional and you just shouldn't do something like this.
I'm going to come to your job and dump a beer on you from behind while you are working. We will see how professional you behave.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

and what a season it has been!!

Is it time to go fishing yet?

I think so

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I'm going to come to your job and dump a beer on you from behind while you are working. We will see how professional you behave.
Not every situation is the same, so please don't compare this to every work situation. I'm a teacher, if a kid throws a pencil at me while I'm teaching am i excused from acting professionally? Am I allowed to throw it back without fear of penalty? Absolutely not. Just because he's in a work environment doesn't mean you can stretch the argument to cover everyone's situation.

The question we should be trying to answer is what precedents have been set in this type of situation. A playoff game with a coach throwing stuff at a fan and then threatening them with a stick. Has it happened before, and what action did the league take.

I am finding it hard to believe that people are defending this guy's actions. It's one thing to think it's blown out of proportion, but to actually defend what he did? Raise your hand if you'd be making excuses for Lindy Ruff if he did this at the Garden.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote