HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul, Briere, Knuble, Carter

Old
04-24-2009, 08:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Oh, that's fine. 1 goal in 5 games! Way to go Mike! Seriously though, he takes far too many stupid penalties and isn't contributing enough offensively to make up for it.
His job is to plop his fat ass in front of the goalie. And the Penguins have been stuffing the slot. What do you expect?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
That was a joke, right?

After all he was the third star picked by the Pittsburgh Media and had a goal, seven shots (none blocked or off net), 2 hits tonight and only slightly behind Richards on the team through 5 games. He plays all situations, and is vital on both special teams... meaning he is important whether he scores or not. He also is the teams best player in board battles, and is the top goalie screener; sometimes not getting a point but is a key reason for a score.

One may argue about affording him being he is a UFA and needs to be fit under the cap -- bonus laden contract may take care of that, BTW -- but one can never claim Knuble is "dead weight"... So therefore it had to be a joke.
Chill out, Mike Knuble's #1 fan. I didn't mean to say he is actually "dead weight"...anyone who gets 20+ goals isn't dead weight.

Out of those 4 players, I think 3 of them have played pretty well despite scoring only 1 goal or less, and the other has only played OK (Knuble). I love Knuble, but it's the truth! I don't care if he scored last night and had a billion shots on net.

p.s. I demand to see Knuble's board-battling statistics and his goalie-screening statistics. I need proof of this claim that he is the best.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
All of you people complaining about Briere, best have the same criticisms of Gagne who hasn't done a damn thing on offense except be on the receiving end the great play by Giroux in Game 3.

Gagne plays defense/PK, has played all season and makes less money. That's why no one will criticize him over Briere.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The Giroux-Briere line has been fine, I even saw Briere making some good defensive plays and they've certainly generated some good chances, Briere has been fine IMO.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The Giroux-Briere line has been fine, I even saw Briere making some good defensive plays and they've certainly generated some good chances, Briere has been fine IMO.
Briere's been pretty good in the playoffs so far actually. MY only complaint is that he isn't quite the playoff-performer he's supposed to be yet (He's like 2nd or 3rd in most PPG in the playoffs since the lockout or something).

Old
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
bennysflyers16

My ranking . best to worst of listed

Briere
Carter - Was Awful Game 5 imo, obviously hurt, but we need goals
Knuble

Lupul - Worst Flyer by a mile imo

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I actually think all 4 guys have been making solid contributions.

I thought Knuble wasn't look so hot early in the series, but the last few games he has started to do a much better job controlling the puck down low.

Briere has had a tough time fighting for position in the slot where he makes his money, but the guy isn't floating at all. That pass to Giroux was a thing of beauty, and Briere was actually back-checking last night.

Carter has put tons of shots on net but has been stoned by Fleury a few times. His backhander the other night was a pure sniper's goal.

Lupul hasn't been anything to write home about offensively, but he actually played a very good physical defensive game yesterday. The best I've seen out of him since probably last season.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:04 PM
sg12lw

does anyone of you ****in clowns understand the game that your watching??

knuble has been great all series winning battles down low, and gettin his ass in front of the net...something that most of our players cant/wont do. watch knuble battle every shift next game and you will realize how good he is at doing HIS job. he's been a beast down low all series

but i guess if your not flashy you cant be good right?

carter has always been a guy that can either dominate or disappear which is why i am still so frustrated by jeff

lupul is invisible until he scores...then hes invisible again...hes got great talent but just cant figure his game out, its a shame....we should have kept rj

briere has been okay...not great, not bad....made some good plays and bad plays....i am waiting for him to pop a couple in...hopefully tomorrow

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
CantSeeColors

I've actually been pretty impressed with Briere defensively on the wing. He seems much more comfortable harassing point men and getting the puck up the boards and out than he did doing the center's duties. He even dropped down to cover the center's spot once early in the series and made a very impressive play muscling Staal off the puck and getting it out. Would be nice if he scored more, but it's a small sample size and I'm pretty impressed with the work he's doing out there. The points will come if the team sticks around for a few more games.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I've actually been pretty impressed with Briere defensively on the wing. He seems much more comfortable harassing point men and getting the puck up the boards and out than he did doing the center's duties. He even dropped down to cover the center's spot once early in the series and made a very impressive play muscling Staal off the puck and getting it out. Would be nice if he scored more, but it's a small sample size and I'm pretty impressed with the work he's doing out there. The points will come if the team sticks around for a few more games.
yea you're right. it's nice having him with giroux because goppas a better defensive player and can handle the stuff down low that briere has struggled with (in the past). i agree with what you're saying - if we can complete this comeback and move on, i expect him to get into a point-scoring groove

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM
27roenick97

our third line has been the most effective, and briere is actively contributing to it, even if the results aren't statistical. remember, our chance for the most offensive output was during the game that fleury was doing his best hasek/roy/brodeur impression.

knuble is one of our leading hitters and has been forechecking like a man possessed--just because he's only scored one goal doesn't mean he isn't effective (our top scorer has three and gag's goals weren't necessarily big time scores).

carter has been successfully neutralized by staal. in deference to carter, staal has selke-like skills. i think that the flyers would benefit by trying to match carter against malkin, and not crosby/staal, but thats just me.

lupul hasn't been really effective either, and doesn't provide nearly the defense that carter has. i won't go out and say he's useless, because we could have a worse forward in his place. i like having all the skill we can against the pens. in addition, he is playing with more of an edge, so, give him credit there.

essentially, its the playoffs. we expect tighter checking and that's what we're seeing. for a team with exceptionally gaudy individual stats, we don't have a single player over PPG pace. we've gotten as much contribution from darrol powe, aaron asham, carcillo and ross as hartnell, carter or richards.

my argument is basically, who cares how they go in, as long as they do. we're still in the series, and we're seeing new heroes every night. why ***** about it?

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Chill out, Mike Knuble's #1 fan. I didn't mean to say he is actually "dead weight"...anyone who gets 20+ goals isn't dead weight.

Out of those 4 players, I think 3 of them have played pretty well despite scoring only 1 goal or less, and the other has only played OK (Knuble). I love Knuble, but it's the truth! I don't care if he scored last night and had a billion shots on net.

p.s. I demand to see Knuble's board-battling statistics and his goalie-screening statistics. I need proof of this claim that he is the best.
"Dead weight" was a direct quote... that was what I found to be a joke. It was your words, not mine... Knuble is not having his best series, but is far from being an albatross on the team (dead weight), he does so much even when he doesn't score... I'm just tired of reading many write how Knuble is not worth his modest contract; I reacted to your poor choice of terms, which you seem to agree was a mistake.

As for the statistical proof; by observation and result it is obvious to even the most casual fan that no player on the team does a better job in front of th net, and he is one of the tops in the league... As for board battles; his using his size and strength -- heaviest on team and second or third tallest -- amongst the smaller than usual Flyers squad gives him and advantage... again observation should determine the rest. And where are your statistics on what you claim, since you are so interested in statistics?

My post was not meant to be anything but friendly, BTW.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 04-24-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
If being manhandled by defense, hitting Nobody in a physical series , and being Highjest paid player on team and playing like a third liner is solid then My girl Danny is exceptional!
I just don't even know..Like do you..do you watch the games..like with your eyes and stuff..seriously do you actually look at the TV screen.

Briere has been playing good and creating chances with Giroux. Claude may be awesome, but he isn't doing everything by himself. Briere has made some good passes to him, he's been taking the body on the forecheck and playing better defensively than I've ever seen him play. He should have scored a couple times but Fleury went into Roy mode and stopped him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
I just don't even know..Like do you..do you watch the games..like with your eyes and stuff..seriously do you actually look at the TV screen.

Briere has been playing good and creating chances with Giroux. Claude may be awesome, but he isn't doing everything by himself. Briere has made some good passes to him, he's been taking the body on the forecheck and playing better defensively than I've ever seen him play. He should have scored a couple times but Fleury went into Roy mode and stopped him.

To many it is all about instant gratification... If a player is not putting up big numbers, at all times, he is garbage.

Old
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Gagne plays defense/PK, has played all season and makes less money. That's why no one will criticize him over Briere.
It's $1.25M. We're not comparing Briere to Darroll Powe here...

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
His job is to plop his fat ass in front of the goalie. And the Penguins have been stuffing the slot. What do you expect?
I expect a guy who's earning $2.8m a year to be able to do more than one thing.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
"Dead weight" was a direct quote... that was what I found to be a joke. It was your words, not mine... Knuble is not having his best series, but is far from being an albatross on the team (dead weight), he does so much even when he doesn't score... I'm just tired of reading many write how Knuble is not worth his modest contract; I reacted to your poor choice of terms, which you seem to agree was a mistake.

As for the statistical proof; by observation and result it is obvious to even the most casual fan that no player on the team does a better job in front of th net, and he is one of the tops in the league... As for board battles; his using his size and strength -- heaviest on team and second or third tallest -- amongst the smaller than usual Flyers squad gives him and advantage... again observation should determine the rest. And where are your statistics on what you claim, since you are so interested in statistics?

My post was not meant to be anything but friendly, BTW.
1. I did say I didn't mean he was actually dead weight. The first post said which of those 4 were dead weight, I was saying if anyone, it is Knuble out of those 4.

2. I was being a smartass when I asked for Knuble's board/in front of net statistics.

Old
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I expect a guy who's earning $2.8m a year to be able to do more than one thing.
And you think that Knuble is a one trick pony?... Have you not seen him out there under ALL situations, at any point in the game? Did you not see his goal last night not come from a deflection? Do you not see his veteran presence on the roster? And do you actually think that $2.8M is all that much for a top line winger -- top six at the very least -- who scores in the upper twenties to lower/mid-thirties and plays a two-way game killing penalties?

Line him up with the other top six forwards and you'll see his contract is by no means out of line... The problem is that the cap makes it very difficult to extend UFAs in the 'New' NHL... If Homer can get him signed with a bonus driven contract that doesn't hurt the cap space the team will be better for it going forward, IMO.

Old
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Briere has been fine...

Claude28Giroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
1. I did say I didn't mean he was actually dead weight. The first post said which of those 4 were dead weight, I was saying if anyone, it is Knuble out of those 4.

2. I was being a smartass when I asked for Knuble's board/in front of net statistics.

I disagree with #1

I know you are on #2... I just thought I'd play along being a wiseass. LOL

... It's all good

That said, I can't believe that I have to defend Knuble so often... Most pundits praise him, so I don't feel wrong in doing so... I just find it odd that he is slammed at all. Not saying that he is not human and doesn't have his faults, he has faults, I'm just feeling that his assets far outweigh his downside.

Old
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's $1.25M. We're not comparing Briere to Darroll Powe here...
Also, Gagne's younger and his contract expires like 3-4 years before Briere's.

There's just nothing Briere has on Gagne in any way OTHER than Briere has been better in the playoffs thus far.

Old
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Also, Gagne's younger and his contract expires like 3-4 years before Briere's.

There's just nothing Briere has on Gagne in any way OTHER than Briere has been better in the playoffs thus far.
I actually don't feel the need to compare any player against another... until there are decisions that impact the cap to be made... All the players on the roster are unique and bring different qualities at different times. Over the course of a long postseason various players will have their ebbs and flows... Last year Briere carried the team early and Umberger did likewise later on. There were key goals from Lupul, Hartnell and Knuble scattered about -- OT winners in key games were priceless -- I don't worry too much five games in if Briere hasn't lit up the lamp; he has contributed much, IMO. And Gagne has three goals in the five games (one open net).

I think Briere's water testing contract will always haunt him, but he was needed to be signed by the team when they did so.

[/RAMBLE]
Briere and Gagne have NTC/NMC and are signed long-term... Over the course of their tenure I believe they will do well, but no player really is worth the big bucks in these recessionary times... If the Flyers can somehow make it out of the opening round, I'd like to revisit this discussion and see how it may have changed.

Old
04-25-2009, 03:20 PM

I am taking full credit for this game.

Only Carter to go.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I am taking full credit for this game.

Only Carter to go.
... You have your answer... Most of it, anyway.

I am upset with Carcillo... When your team is in firm control of another team, that is not the time to shake up the opposition, and change the the course of the game... You continue to do as you have done and frustrate the other team. The Pens, IMO, were being embarrassed and with that decisive fight loss woke up and changed the game to their favor.

If Stevens dictated that fight occurrence, I am greatly upset... If it was CarBomb's on his own, I think it was a huge mistake on his part. That is not to lay the entire loss at his feet, but in my mind that is what started it. I have not read nor heard any postmortems here or on TV/Radio or elsewhere... I would be interested to find out if others agree with me.

Old
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
... You have your answer... Most of it, anyway.

I am upset with Carcillo... When your team is in firm control of another team, that is not the time to shake up the opposition, and change the the course of the game... You continue to do as you have done and frustrate the other team. The Pens, IMO, were being embarrassed and with that decisive fight loss woke up and changed the game to their favor.

If Stevens dictated that fight occurrence, I am greatly upset... If it was CarBomb's on his own, I think it was a huge mistake on his part. That is not to lay the entire loss at his feet, but in my mind that is what started it. I have not read nor heard any postmortems here or on TV/Radio or elsewhere... I would be interested to find out if others agree with me.
This is all BS. If you have a 3-0 lead and you watch your teammate pummel some bum into oblivion, you have no excuse to not be even more fired up to put the foot on the throat and get it taken care of. It's a lame excuse for the loss.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote