HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do they make senior sticks with a low amount of flex?

Old
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Well, the thing it doens't seem like you realize is that "How it shoots" can be quantified with flex, balance and kickpoint. There are more elements to it, mostly relating to how the blade is constructed, but that's beside the point for this discussion.

The issue here isn't guys with bad mechanics trying to use a stick as a crutch. The issue is guys with at least decent mechanics trying to play around with a different setup to see how it affects their shot. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and wood sticks do break. I know a guy who broke 3 in a game once. Of course, the opposing center was going after his stick instead of the puck on faceoffs...
The thing is all manufacturers can put the same flex marked on their stick, the same materials and the damned things will all "shoot" differently. Also if a guy has an upright stance his wheelhouse is different than a guy who scoots down when he shoots ... the kickpoint in a shaft doesn't mean doodlysquat.

All blades have different gives and flexes too so if a guy uses a shaft he will get a different flex from the blade which is why some guys prefer a tapered shaft+tapered blade with the short hosel.

My main point was everyone is different and to just find something that "shoots good". What one guy can shoot good with another guy won't be able to so all this flex this and that stuff from the technical aspects is largely overkill.

Some guy may prefer a very stiff graphite blade and a low flex shaft and some other guy may prefer a blade not as stiff (blade and not the hosel or both) and a very stiff shaft.

I would have a very stiff blade and a very stiff shaft and scoff at the Easton type blades that add a thinner part of the hosel so it whips more. Supposedly those add a kickpoint or something. I have some Montreal graphite blades that are very stiff with no flex yet the hosel is partly wood and that flexes. Some people like that setup.

A guy I used to play with said it best, the tools are only as good as the carpenter using them. He claimed he could play with a washcloth nailed to the end of a broomstick. An exaggeration for sure but funny none the less.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

what about the whip brand sticks. It has three flexes and i have no idea how that actually works but i thought id toss it in.

http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?...918&se=Froogle

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
He claimed he could play with a washcloth nailed to the end of a broomstick. An exaggeration for sure but funny none the less.
At my grandma's, we had no hockey sticks, so my brother and I would use long-handled paint rollers and a ball of tape. We're both pretty good stickhandlers now.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote