HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Guillaume Latendresse

Old
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
you are probably not watching many games outside the Habs ones.. the only player I found so far to have as much trouble to skate in this league is Andrew Ladd..
There have been a few people in this thread commenting on this improvements with his skating. I'd like to suggest that maybe YOU aren't seeing things straight... instead of accusing everyone else.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Next Best Thing*

Latender is slowly creeping up as my favourite young forward... scary.... he gave us quite a show this season with Lapierre, definitely one of the bright spots, if I were to post in that other thread. Which I won't, cause I said it here.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There have been a few people in this thread commenting on this improvements with his skating. I'd like to suggest that maybe YOU aren't seeing things straight... instead of accusing everyone else.
maybe he improved his skating a bit compared to last season but its still not enough to compete at a high level.. Ive been watching the Ana SJ serie since the begining and Tender couldnt crack any of those line-up, couldnt crack Det line-up either.. Unbelievable the pace of the Ducks Sharks serie, ultra quick transition, lightning speed, tape to tape pass.. Day and night compared to our level of play.. Cant believe we struggled that much playing hockey and still managed to make the playoffs.. We are clearly not in the same league as those contenders.. Its really time to change the face of this team and hire a coach that will make them skate and practice hard..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
maybe he improved his skating a bit compared to last season but its still not enough to compete at a high level.. Ive been watching the Ana SJ serie since the begining and Tender couldnt crack any of those line-up, couldnt crack Det line-up either.. Unbelievable the pace of the Ducks Sharks serie, ultra quick transition, lightning speed, tape to tape pass.. Day and night compared to our level of play.. Cant believe we struggled that much playing hockey and still managed to make the playoffs.. We are clearly not in the same league as those contenders.. Its really time to change the face of this team and hire a coach that will make them skate and practice hard..
just so you know... we have been humiliated in 4 games, of course it is going to be night and day... but that doesn't make Guillaume useless for other teams.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeyz View Post
Latendresse was one of the few bright spot this season.

Just hope he's not traded during the off season.
Unless of course, he's part of the Lecavalier deal

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Hermamoud

I wonder what Scott Livingston was smoking when he said that Latendresse was one of the top 5 fastest skaters in the team at training camp...

Hermamoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I wonder what Scott Livingston was smoking when he said that Latendresse was one of the top 5 fastest skaters in the team at training camp...
Actually Latendresse is pretty fast. He's just got a crappy acceleration. It has gotten better this year though, but there is obviously some work still to be done and he himself knows it (by his comments last summer).

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
you are probably not watching many games outside the Habs ones.. the only player I found so far to have as much trouble to skate in this league is Andrew Ladd..
Are the Habs an abnormally slow team? Are they one of the worst-skating teams in the NHL? If not, then I don't really see how watching any other teams makes a difference. Latendresse can hold his own on the Montreal Canadiens. He can hold his own against the other teams he plays against. Latendresse will never be known for his speed or skating, but he's adequate now. So long as he can do other things well enough (score some goals, throw some hits), nobody should care anymore about his skating. He's done a fantastic job of improving.

And I'd be very happy to have Andrew Ladd on my team too, for whatever that's worth.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
If you mean linear speed, then maybe. Laraque is pretty damn fast once he gets going. What separates great skaters like Kovalev, Markov or Kostitsyn from Latendresse or Kostopoulos is their acceleration and their smooth way of changing directions.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I strongly disagree. I think that you're letting your dislike for the guy mask the truth in this case. We have one of the fastest skating teams in the NHL, which exposes guys like Laraque and Latendresse as skating is not their strength. This doesn't mean that Latendresse is a poor skater, but that he's slower than guys like Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Plekanec and company. It's all relative.

Old
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
CanadienErrant*

Latendresse has improved his overall game and will be a very good third line winger, maybe even a very good second-line winger in a near future.

I have no problem with the guy. And on top of that, he has a steady, healthy lifestyle OUTSIDE the ice.

Hopefully Price, Higgins and cie will fall in love and get married soon.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Latendresse has improved his overall game and will be a very good third line winger, maybe even a very good second-line winger in a near future.

I have no problem with the guy. And on top of that, he has a steady, healthy lifestyle OUTSIDE the ice.

Hopefully Price, Higgins and cie will fall in love and get married soon.
You're fooling yourself if you think that marriage is guaranteeing a better off-ice lifestyle. I know plenty of married men who party it up and cheat on their wife!

Old
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You're fooling yourself if you think that marriage is guaranteeing a better off-ice lifestyle. I know plenty of married men who party it up and cheat on their wife!
Hockey players would maybe cheat on their wives when they are away, but I doubt they would do it in their team hometown, especially in Montreal. The last one that did that is now playing center in Dallas... Ribeiro.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
JrHockeyFan

Is Lats better than last year? Gosh I hope so. Is his skating improved? Yes but it is still below average.

I think his biggest improvement was in puck handling. He had this nasty habit of turning his back on the net away from the boards. Seems to have become less frequent

Is he as good as a lot of folks want to make him out to be? Not quite. But Lats gets a free ride from a lot of folks I think

I have hopes he will be good enough to be a legit top two line player. So far he isn't there yet

If I had to compare Lats to another player it would be Bobby Ryan in Junior. Ryan had the size and good puck skills. Strong upper body. But really poor skater to the extent I wondered if he would become an impact player. Both Lats and the younger Ryan looked clumsy on their skates at times. Ryan has improved his game, leg strength, and skating a lot, so it can be done.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote