HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Interesting Vinny articles

Old
04-25-2009, 02:09 AM
marc88

vCash: 500
Interesting Vinny articles

not sure if it was posted

http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/4/14/8...cavalier-trade

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl090424.html

this is only the beginning..june come already!

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:30 AM
grill vogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
not sure if it was posted

http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/4/14/8...cavalier-trade

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl090424.html

this is only the beginning..june come already!
OH SHI......

another reason not to sleep. lol thanks

grill vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

The first article is pretty good. Good read.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I'm not gonna buy it.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:37 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
I agree, wish they would just send him off to the Habs already... I want to cheer for my new fav team

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Hermamoud

Rick Tocchet signing a new contract is pretty huge news.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
i agree . he doesn't speculate but brings solid elements

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM
MathMan

I wish the media would give up on Lecavalier to Montreal. That ship had sailed long before Gainey started dissing Lawton. Gainey didn't destroy his chances -- he had no chances to begin with.

Even now in their end-of-campaign articles two of la Presse's journalists are calling for a Vinny trade (along with such gems as trading Higgins because he is a bad influence in the dressing room and showed his disinterest when he said he didn't care about expectations). They need to give it up; it's not going to happen and they're keeping everyone's hopes up needlessly. Good journalism would be to realize that and let the people know, soberly.

My worry now is that he'll be traded to another team -- the West seems like a likely possibility, look to Edmonton to make a splash. If the hope for the Vinny-to-Montreal trade is too high, Gainey will get blasted again, which suits some of the media, no doubt... or Gainey's successor will start with a major strike against him in the minds of the fans for no fault of their own.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:32 AM
BeBen*

Awesome read for the first link, the 2nd one is old news tho

Thanx for bringing it up, although the 2nd link pretty much destroy the arguments from the first article...about Montreal anyway

but likely Vinny is going to be traded

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wish the media would give up on Lecavalier to Montreal. That ship had sailed long before Gainey started dissing Lawton. Gainey didn't destroy his chances -- he had no chances to begin with.

Even now in their end-of-campaign articles two of la Presse's journalists are calling for a Vinny trade (along with such gems as trading Higgins because he is a bad influence in the dressing room and showed his disinterest when he said he didn't care about expectations). They need to give it up; it's not going to happen and they're keeping everyone's hopes up needlessly. Good journalism would be to realize that and let the people know, soberly.

My worry now is that he'll be traded to another team -- the West seems like a likely possibility, look to Edmonton to make a splash. If the hope for the Vinny-to-Montreal trade is too high, Gainey will get blasted again, which suits some of the media, no doubt... or Gainey's successor will start with a major strike against him in the minds of the fans for no fault of their own.
Unfortunately, ''good'' and ''journalism'' are never, or very rarely, used together when speaking about Habs related articles.

Whether they're ''journalists'' or ''analysts'', they're just as big a fan as the next one. The difference is that they have the privilege of being closer to the team/players.
So, what happens when you have Fans covering the Habs?..Bad, biased and emotional journalism. In other words, Crap.

If Vinny gets traded anywhere outside Mtl, like Toronto let's say or even Edmonton, the media will drop an atomic bomb.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:16 PM
NewHabsEra*

The writer of the first article has the same conclusions as mines.. There are few teams that have the cap space and the depth to trade for Lecavalier, you have to fit his contract under your payroll and have some attractive kids you can afford to give without affecting your depth too much.. So people who think we will have to trade our better assets like Price A.Kost Subban will be surprised, I think we can make a nice package that wont hurt our depth and that will be attractive enough for the lightning to let Lecavalier go to MTL.. Of course, Layton and Gainey will have to talk togheter once again so that trade happens..

A package of McDonagh Halak OByrne Maxwell first round pick could be enough to land Lecavalier IMO..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:16 PM
MathMan

They probably will drop an atomic bomb, but they'd be wrong. Toronto doesn't have the assets to land Vinny, but Edmonton is a definite possibility if they're willing to offer NHL-ready defensemen.

Nevermind that it is not clear at all that Montreal should saddle themselves with a 11-year contract on a guy who's extremely talented, but has had health issues this year.

One article on RueFrontenac.com is proposing a Price-for-Lecavalier type trade, which shows how little they actually look at these things. One glance at the season results for the Bolts and you can see that goaltender is just about the one area where they're in good shape. Their need is at D.

If the Habs do make a pitch for Vinny, and have to give up valuable pieces, they'll be going to their stable of young D-men prospect. Subban, McDonagh, and so on. These are the guys that the Habs can afford to part with and might interest Tampa.

Old
04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Dark4ng3l

Well i'm on the fence about Lecavalier. I would like to have him don't get me wrong but I don't want to pay much. That contract is an albatross and seriously lowers his value. Plus trading for a guy they signed just so they can trade him feels wrong.

In this case not getting him might be better in the long run. And with his recent injuries and surgery he might never have a 90pt season again, who knows.

We used to think 7 year contracts were long. Think about who the top offensive players in the league were 7 years ago. 10+ years is crazy. The problem with these kind of deals is that the risk involved for the team does not go up in a linear way when you keep adding years. An 8 year deal is MUCH more risky than a 7 year deal. Yeah other players got deals as long as this but Dipietro's contract is already looking like a major flop and Richards is younger and for less money.

Lecavalier's contract might just be the 2nd worst in the league right now (after Dipietro)

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Well i'm on the fence about Lecavalier. I would like to have him don't get me wrong but I don't want to pay much. That contract is an albatross and seriously lowers his value. Plus trading for a guy they signed just so they can trade him feels wrong.

In this case not getting him might be better in the long run. And with his recent injuries and surgery he might never have a 90pt season again, who knows.

We used to think 7 year contracts were long. Think about who the top offensive players in the league were 7 years ago. 10+ years is crazy. The problem with these kind of deals is that the risk involved for the team does not go up in a linear way when you keep adding years. An 8 year deal is MUCH more risky than a 7 year deal. Yeah other players got deals as long as this but Dipietro's contract is already looking like a major flop and Richards is younger and for less money.

Lecavalier's contract might just be the 2nd worst in the league right now (after Dipietro)
As far as I know, Lecavalier is still one of the top 5 centers in the league..

The prob is that we dont have the choice to take that risk, first to remake the credibility of this team around the league (no UFAs are actually interested to sign here for all the reasons we know and all our UFAs that could walk away..) Trading for Lecavalier would not only fill our biggest need in the last 15 years or so but would make some UFAs think seriously about the possibility to come here to play with Vinny, some french Quebecers will look at Montreal otherwise too..

Thats a risk we can afford to take and thats a risk we dont have the choice to take at this point!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Over from the Oilers board here, and I'm really hoping you guys land Vinny. As a hockey fan first, I've never seen a team need a player as bad as the Habs need Vinny (talking PR wise and on the ice). I believe Gainey will put aside the BS that is Tampa managment and work something out with them. IMO Plekanec, Higgins, and Gorges are very replaceable, and a 1st round pick sucks to give up but well worth it for this guy. Contract sucks but you don't have to worry about that as a problem for at least 5 years.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:39 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Over from the Oilers board here, and I'm really hoping you guys land Vinny. As a hockey fan first, I've never seen a team need a player as bad as the Habs need Vinny (talking PR wise and on the ice). I believe Gainey will put aside the BS that is Tampa managment and work something out with them. IMO Plekanec, Higgins, and Gorges are very replaceable, and a 1st round pick sucks to give up but well worth it for this guy. Contract sucks but you don't have to worry about that as a problem for at least 5 years.
Or Gainey could talk directly with Barrie and Koules (as we know, they're pretty much running the ship, with Lawton being their puppet). He could also mandate Julien Brisebois or Pierre Gauthier to make the deal if he really can't stand anybody in Tampa anymore.

JackieChan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
I agree, wish they would just send him off to the Habs already... I want to cheer for my new fav team

If the Habs get Vinny you will switch from being a Leafs fan to a Habs fan?That's funny!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

That first article paints a pretty bad picture of the Tampa Bay situation, both financial and from a hockey point of view. Good read.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
MathMan

I think people need to get mentally prepared for Lecavalier ending up with another team regardless of who heads up the Canadiens.

I also think we need to be mentally prepared for whichever team ends up with Lecavalier to regret it in the middle-term (5 years).

Old
04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Or Gainey could talk directly with Barrie and Koules (as we know, they're pretty much running the ship, with Lawton being their puppet). He could also mandate Julien Brisebois or Pierre Gauthier to make the deal if he really can't stand anybody in Tampa anymore.
Gainey called Lawton AND TAMPA OWNERSHIP disgraceful, so talking to the owners directly won't go around his comment.