HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2010-2011 Season

Old
03-13-2009, 06:28 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
2010-2011 Season

Didn't want to put this in the 2008-2009 thread, because it's not really setup to do the 2008-09 cap, because you'd have to go back through all the transactions daily to 'build up' the spreadsheet. If someone is bored and wants to do that, feel free to take this and post it.

Here is how you use this spreadsheet.

(1) Enter the Cap in cell C1. (This sheet does not check that the team clears the cap floor ... I'm thinking that's not gonna be an issue.)

(2) Enter any dead cap space in cell H1. This will be 0 unless the Flyers lose someone on recall waivers between now and then.

(3) Enter the total amount of potential bonuses in cell M1. Right now this has bonuses for Nodl and Kalinski in it. If we sign JVR, the cell will have to be updated. Once a bonus becomes impossible to reach, you can subtract it from this cell.

(4) Rows 2-4 represent next years NHL calendar. I'm guessing when the season will start and stop, and when the trade deadline will be. It'll be easy enough to update, just insert columns in either October or April to add, or delete columns to get rid of them. For row 2, just put a 1 in the cell above the day of the trade deadline. This allows you to expand the roster past 23 players after that day. Important: I'm not sure if the Olympic break days count. If they don't, just replace the numbers with the letter 'O' or something, it'll only count the day if there is a number in the cell.

(5) In cells A5 down to A64, enter all the players the Flyers have under contract. If a player is traded during the season, don't delete him, you will just take him off the active roster.

(6) In cells B5 to B64, enter the player's positions.

(7) In cells C5 to C64, enter the player's cap hit EXCLUDING THE BONUS. The bonuses are accounted for separately.

(8) Now the nitty gritty of the spreadsheet. For each day of the NHL regular season, enter an 'A' for the players on the active roster and 'L' for players on the long term injured reserve. You must have at least 20 players on the active roster for the cap to calculate, and you can't go over 23 until the deadline. If you are over the cap, the column should light up red to let you know the roster is illegal.

Row 66 will show if the roster is Legal or Illegal. If it is blank, you don't have at least 20 players on the active roster that day.

Row 68 shows the amount of cap space used for that day.
Row 69 accumulates that over the course of the season to date.
Row 70 shows the amount that would be paid in the future if the roster stayed the same until the last day of the regular season.

Row 71 is the total cap hit, row 69 + row 70.

Row 72 shows the paid cap hit of all the players on LTIR.
Row 73 shows you how much of the cap relief that is being used by the roster as it is.
Row 74 accumulates Row 73, showing how much LTIR relief has been used through the season to date.
ROw 75 then shows the maximum amount of LTIR relief the team can earn on all future days of the season.

Row 76 is the amount of cap space the team has, non annualized.
Row 77 is this amount annualized. You can add a player with the cap hit of row 77 and still be within the cap.

Rows 78 and 79 deal with the bonuses. This will only be accurate on the last day of the season. Note that right now I don't know if I have this working with LTIR quite right. I'll figure it out and post an update if I change it.

Rows 81-86 just shows the active roster size by position.

Last edited by MountainHawk: 06-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Thanks for taking the time to set this up, MountainHawk.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:42 PM
MountainHawk

Thank me after you realise I have Teslak and Duchesne as our goalies next year, and we still only have less than $2M of cap room if the cap is $55M.

Old
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

vCash: 500
We should find a way to acquire Tuukka Rask

JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
We should find a way to acquire Tuukka Rask
Fernandez - older and expensive and UFA.
Thomas - older and expensive and UFA.

Rask - young and cheap = ain't going anywhere.

Thanks for the chart MountainHawk! Nicely done.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Fernandez - older and expensive and UFA.
Thomas - older and expensive and UFA.

Rask - young and cheap = ain't going anywhere.

Thanks for the chart MountainHawk! Nicely done.
But do you think Boston will really let Thomas go after the great season he has had? I know Boston hasn't been doing great recently but how has he been doing?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
But do you think Boston will really let Thomas go after the great season he has had? I know Boston hasn't been doing great recently but how has he been doing?
They have quite a few guys that will need contracts (Kessel, Krejci and Bergeron), so they might be more inclined to put thier money there, bring up Rask and sign a veteran backup, for cheap. I think they'd be crazy to let Thomas go, but if they were to re-sign him, one of the three I listed above would have to go...and Thomas is older.

Rask should be about ready to take over the reigns.

Old
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
They have quite a few guys that will need contracts (Kessel, Krejci and Bergeron), so they might be more inclined to put thier money there, bring up Rask and sign a veteran backup, for cheap. I think they'd be crazy to let Thomas go, but if they were to re-sign him, one of the three I listed above would have to go...and Thomas is older.

Say what you will about the cap, at least it makes things interesting.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Say what you will about the cap, at least it makes things interesting.
Absolutely.

It's likely the Red Wings are going to lose Hudler because of the cap...each team has it's issues, some teams just have bigger issues than others.

Old
03-13-2009, 09:51 PM
UseYourAllusion

So, I've been playing with this for a while. And based on a couple assumptions:

1-No big trades
2-Biron returns for a modest increase in cap hit, 3.5 mil -> 4.0 mil
3-Likewise with Munroe (to be, sigh, our NHL backup) .475 mil -> .500mil
4-Jared Ross extends at the same cap hit (.500 mil)

I have the Flyers coming in at 58,472,167 with this lineup (which is legal if the cap doesn't fall):

Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Gagne - Richards - Giroux
Carcillo - Briere - Asham
Kalinski - Ross - Powe

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Parent
Jones - Sbisa

Biron and Munroe

Based on this, I think what I do is this: I move Lupul for pretty much whatever I can get, i.e. mostly cap relief, and use either that cap space or get back in the trade a 3rd line center, and a decent back up goalie. Then you can slot in some combo of Briere and Giroux as the right wingers on the first two lines.

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks Mountain Hawk for giving me the toys to indulge my interest in Armchair GMing

Last edited by UseYourAllusion: 03-13-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Absolutely.

It's likely the Red Wings are going to lose Hudler because of the cap...each team has it's issues, some teams just have bigger issues than others.
Luckily, I think, the Rangers have the biggest issues of all.

Old
03-14-2009, 02:41 AM
dawkins121

Quote:

1-No big trades

I have the Flyers coming in at 58,472,167 with this lineup (which is legal if the cap doesn't fall):

Kalinski - Ross - Powe

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Parent
Jones - Sbisa

Biron and Munroe

Based on this, I think what I do is this: I move Lupul for pretty much whatever I can get, i.e. mostly cap relief, and use either that cap space or get back in the trade a 3rd line center, and a decent back up goalie. Then you can slot in some combo of Briere and Giroux as the right wingers on the first two lines.

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks Mountain Hawk for giving me the toys to indulge my interest in Armchair GMing
Unfortunately, unless some players take major steps forward, that isn't at all an improvement from what we have this year. Unless Biron steps up again in the playoffs and shows that he is indeed capable of being a clutch goaltender, I think the best move would be to move Lupul and try to invest in an upgrade in goal.

With the losses of Lupul and Knuble we'd essentially become a team with only 2 offensively threatening lines, but that would basically put us on the same level as the rest of the league.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:32 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

Bergeron is under contract for two more years after this one.

And on the topic of Tukka Rask, he would be phenomenal but there's no way that Boston gives him up.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:49 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think that the Cap will stay static this season and drop next season.

One of Jones and Carle need to go. and one of Lupul/Knuble will be let go

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Bergeron is under contract for two more years after this one.
You're right, my mistake.

Quote:
And on the topic of Tukka Rask, he would be phenomenal but there's no way that Boston gives him up.
Not a chance.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:24 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Unfortunately, unless some players take major steps forward, that isn't at all an improvement from what we have this year. Unless Biron steps up again in the playoffs and shows that he is indeed capable of being a clutch goaltender, I think the best move would be to move Lupul and try to invest in an upgrade in goal.

With the losses of Lupul and Knuble we'd essentially become a team with only 2 offensively threatening lines, but that would basically put us on the same level as the rest of the league.
I agree, but I just don't see (barring a trade) where an upgrade in goal comes from. The real key is clearing Lupul's salary, and ideally Jones' too, but I don't think anyone will take that.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:

1-No big trades

Kalinski - Ross - Powe

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Parent
Jones - Sbisa

Biron and Munroe

Why did you get rid of Knuble?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:48 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Why did you get rid of Knuble?
couldn't fit him under the cap

Old
04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
MountainHawk

I've updated the file in the first post with the JVR deal (I'm assuming it's a max deal 900K salary plus $2,212,500 in bonus potential.

Old
04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
phlocky

Here's what I have for the Flyers heading into next season right now. I'm not saying this is what we will have after the draft and FA's but as of right now this is it.

C - Briere (6.5m), Richard (5.75m), Carter (5.0m)
Giroux (0.822m) and Powe (0.52m) can both be sent down to the minors at any time if we want.

LW - Gagne (5.25m), Cote (0.55m), Carcillo (0.894m)
RW - Hartnell (4.2m), Lupul (4.25m), Asham (0.625m)

D - Timonen (6.333m), Carle (3.438m), Jones (2.75m), Coburn (1.3m), Parent (0.855m)

Even if we include Giroux and Powe into our numbers we have 11 forwards and 5 dmen signed for next season with a combined cap hit of roughly 49 mil. We need 1 forward, 1 dman, and 2 goalies with the remaining 7.7 mil. Nodl has been playing with us for parts of the season and is a cheap 3rd/4th line option at 0.85 mil. Sbisa will most likely be on the team full time for next year (he played the first half of the season with us this year and was returned because of cap reasons and a loggjam at defense) at a cost of just 0.875 mil. That will leave us about 6.25 mil for a starting goalie, a backup goalie, and a bit of cap space for injury call-ups. All of that WITHOUT MOVING A SINGLE "OVER PAID" PLAYER OFF THE CURRENT ROSTER!!!!

Edit: note, this has been copied and pasted from other posts I've made on the trade rumor board because everybody there sems to think they can fleece us in a deal because we can't make the cap limit next season.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
We need to start trying to deal Lupul and Carle because otherwise, teams are going to have us over a barrel after 09/10 when we're frantically trying to get under the cap.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
MountainHawk

If the cap drops to $55M like the rumor is it will, I think you are forced to move Lupul, and hope JVR can take that spot at some point.

Old
04-26-2009, 02:54 PM
RoDu

What would the penalty for a team if they cannot get under the new cap? You really need to be able to cut players like in the NFL to make a cap system work. You can get fired in real life, but not in the NHL.

I think, in the NFL, there is a short period of time during the off season where teams can cut players with little to no penalty

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 03:08 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
What would the penalty for a team if they cannot get under the new cap? You really need to be able to cut players like in the NFL to make a cap system work. You can get fired in real life, but not in the NHL.

I think, in the NFL, there is a short period of time during the off season where teams can cut players with little to no penalty
No there isn't. There is short period of time were the penalty is spread over two years instead of just 1, but there is still the same cap penalty.

Flyers can get under the cap by waiving a player and putting them in the minors. The NHL won't let a team make a transaction to put them over the cap, so it's really only an issue going from the offseason 110% cap to the regular season cap.

Old
04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post

Forfeiting games until they do.

However, you're not going to have to worry about that...we will be under the cap one way or another. People may not like how it pans out, but it will happen.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote