HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting R/L vs. RH-Shot/LH-shot?

Old
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm a lefty in virtually everything in life. The only things I don't do with my left side are cutting with scissors and soccer (I kick better with my right foot). Now, I'm not very good at hockey, in fact I'm pretty bad. But I still play, and I play with a lefty stick and shoot lefty. Shooting righty just feels all wrong. Is that strange?
I bat lefty and shoot left in hockey but I am right handed. I throw righty and wear the baseball glove on the left hand.

It isn't very common but more common than people think it is. I write righty as well and when I play pool I hold a cue stick using my left as the bridge and the right hand as the control on the butt end.

I hold a fork when i eat with the right hand and when doing something that requires kicking I kick with my dominant right foot.

What does all this mean? I have no idea. It means I am a righty who shoots lefty.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

The proper way to shoot is to have your strong hand as the bottom hand (Right hand for righties, and Left hand for Lefties). That way, when you shoot you have more muscle on it. This is also coming from past greats such as Andy Bathgate who told me that I was shooting wrong, and to think of it if you could only put one hand on the stick to shoot, which hand would you use?

Still, not everyone is like that. I'm right handed in everything except for sports, where I shoot left, and I have a pretty heavy shot.

My suggestion, if you're just getting started, shoot right handed if you're stronger with your right. It's easier to learn to play that way when you start, than be told you're doing it wrong and try to switch later on. If you've played for a while and are already comfortable Left handed, stick with it.

Silver91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
The proper way to shoot is to have your strong hand as the bottom hand (Right hand for righties, and Left hand for Lefties). That way, when you shoot you have more muscle on it. This is also coming from past greats such as Andy Bathgate who told me that I was shooting wrong, and to think of it if you could only put one hand on the stick to shoot, which hand would you use?

Still, not everyone is like that. I'm right handed in everything except for sports, where I shoot left, and I have a pretty heavy shot.

My suggestion, if you're just getting started, shoot right handed if you're stronger with your right. It's easier to learn to play that way when you start, than be told you're doing it wrong and try to switch later on. If you've played for a while and are already comfortable Left handed, stick with it.

I break panes of plexi with my slapshots sometimes and am a righty who shoots lefty.

What you state applies to MOST people but the guys in this thread are like I am which is an exception to that rule same as you are.

Not sure why it happens honestly.

I am absolutely a righty but shoot left and bat left but throw righty.

There are more people like this than we may realize me thinks. I do everything as well as a lefty does it but I am not a lefty.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-26-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old
04-26-2009, 05:47 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
The proper way to shoot is to have your strong hand as the bottom hand WRONG (Right hand for righties, and Left hand for Lefties). That way, when you shoot you have more muscle on it WRONG. This is also coming from past greats such as Andy Bathgate who told me that I was shooting wrong, and to think of it if you could only put one hand on the stick to shoot, which hand would you use?
Put the crack pipe down. Let's remember where 3/4ths of shooting power comes from, the legs and core. Anyone who just shoots from their arms will have a pathetic shot.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Put the crack pipe down. Let's remember where 3/4ths of shooting power comes from, the legs and core. Anyone who just shoots from their arms will have a pathetic shot.
it doesnt mean its not true. you still use your upper body to shoot. he isnt saying to only use his upper body, just you get more power having your strong hand on bottom

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
It's a tradeoff. Yeah, you will get more power on your shot if you shoot dominant hand on bottom. You also put your dominant eye over the puck giving you better aim. But dominant hand on top, you get more control and your dominant eye is up over the ice and you can see the ice better for passing. Or for a more modern comparison, Ovechkin shoots dominant hand low, Crosby Dominant hand top.

Really, this has been discussed a billion times before on here. We don't really need another debate. Either way is correct.

There is no right way or wrong way though. But dominant hand on top is MUCH more common among the pro ranks. But guys like Mario and Bossy had dominant hand on bottom. Guys like Gretzky had dominant hand on top for comparison.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It's a tradeoff. Yeah, you will get more power on your shot if you shoot dominant hand on bottom. You also put your dominant eye over the puck giving you better aim. But dominant hand on top, you get more control and your dominant eye is up over the ice and you can see the ice better for passing. Or for a more modern comparison, Ovechkin shoots dominant hand low, Crosby Dominant hand top.

Really, this has been discussed a billion times before on here. We don't really need another debate. Either way is correct.

There is no right way or wrong way though. But dominant hand on top is MUCH more common among the pro ranks. But guys like Mario and Bossy had dominant hand on bottom. Guys like Gretzky had dominant hand on top for comparison.
That's interesting about those names you named. I cannot imagine shooting with the dominant hand on the shaft and the lesser on the knob.

I wouldn't be able to shoot or do anything.

Okay I am a righty and my weight sits on my right dominant leg when shooting but my dominant right hand is on the knob (I shoot lefty) and my weaker arm is lower on the shaft.

So supposedly according to most here I am shooting the wrong way and must also be batting in baseball the wrong way. I've been playing for 35 years (I am 40 soon to be 41) and played competitively from highschool hockey onward for various good teams. I don't suck at playing is my point and have a heavy shot so where did I go right or wrong lolz?

Am I a rare thing for a hockey player because I have never really noticed if a team mate shoots left but is a righty or shoots righty and is a lefty.

This is interesting really.

I do know my dad played hockey and baseball and could switch hit in both baseball and hockey oddly enough. A genetic thing perhaps? I cannot switch hit though so I don't get it.

Old
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

mistawrista, can you be anymore of a jerk when people don't agree with your opinion?

To all- It all depends on your comfort level. The newer Euro method is to have the dominant hand on the top to control the puck better while stickhandling, the traditional way is to put the dominant hand lower for more power. Try shooting with one hand on the stick and see which way you shoot harder (with proper technique) with the dominant hand on the shaft or the top. If you learned in the traditional way then your hand strength and coordination improve and you can stickhandle just fine with the non-dominant hand on top, just as if you use the Euro method your power will improve with practice with your dominant hand on top.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Yeah, so because I state that having your strong hand lower makes your shot stronger, I must be an idiot

It's natural that your arms still have a bearing on how hard you shoot, no matter how much power you generate from the rest of your body, if you're equally comfortable shooting from both sides, then the strong hand should be on the shaft to produce a better shot.

Or do you use psychic powers to take your shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That's interesting about those names you named. I cannot imagine shooting with the dominant hand on the shaft and the lesser on the knob.

I wouldn't be able to shoot or do anything.

Okay I am a righty and my weight sits on my right dominant leg when shooting but my dominant right hand is on the knob (I shoot lefty) and my weaker arm is lower on the shaft.

So supposedly according to most here I am shooting the wrong way and must also be batting in baseball the wrong way. I've been playing for 35 years (I am 40 soon to be 41) and played competitively from highschool hockey onward for various good teams. I don't suck at playing is my point and have a heavy shot so where did I go right or wrong lolz?

Am I a rare thing for a hockey player because I have never really noticed if a team mate shoots left but is a righty or shoots righty and is a lefty.

This is interesting really.

I do know my dad played hockey and baseball and could switch hit in both baseball and hockey oddly enough. A genetic thing perhaps? I cannot switch hit though so I don't get it.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with being against the grain lol. IMO, it's basically how you learn and become comfortable that determines it. I know My dad tried to get me to shoot right, but I started as a lefty when he gave me a straight blade and wouldn't switch.

And it's definitely not a rare thing, I know I've had a bunch of team-mates that shoot left but are righties before.

Silver91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I finally figured out that I HAVE to shoot left. I tried skating with the stick in my left hand.... yeah that is not gonna happen. I felt all out of balance. So that settles that. lol

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This has to be the most confusing RH vs. LH thread I've seen yet.

To me.
Dominant hand on bottom = slightly more power on shots
Dominant hand on top = more control for puckhandling

That said, probably 80% of your shot power comes from your legs & core anyway.

Also, with the control aspect, if you're good, you're good. In my opinion, if you can control the puck well, you'll do it regardless of your handedness. The dominant hand on top comes into play with your fancy one handed dekes and all that stuff, which you probably would rarely if ever use in game anyway.

To sum it up, if you're a good hockey player, you'll be good regardless if you shoot righty (right hand bottom) or lefty (left hand bottom).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuin View Post
its quite easy. The side your stick is at when you hit a puck to shoot with a normal forehand shot --> side you are shooting.

The guy in the pic is shooting right from the way he is holding his stick in that pic.

yep that's it.

Old
06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

As far as hockey is concerned, you're not rare at all, you're with the overwhelming majority of righties who shoot left. I was once on a team on which we did not have a single right-hand shot (it was a problem). Think of when you are playing with one hand on your stick, say for a poke check - obviously, you would want to hold it with your dominant hand and hold it at the top. The only way to do that without switching hands every time you put both hands on your stick is to shoot left.

As far as batting is concerned, I bet hockey was your first sport using some sort of a stick. It was mine, and though I'm right-handed, when I learned to play softball and golf many years later, I held the bat/club the only way I knew how - with my right hand at the top and my left closer to the middle. Never occurred to me to try to do it any other way. So I bat and golf lefty and I've tried doing it the "correct" way and it felt real weird. At least I have a good excuse for why I'm such a ****** golfer.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Ok...So...need some clarity here as I am a bit confused:

"When you shoot left, the hand in the middle of the stick is your left hand, and the hand at the top of the stick is your right hand. When you are skating fast, or stretching to reach a far away puck, you end up with only your top hand on the stick - as explained above, in the case of a left shot player, that would be your right hand.

That is why right handed people (which is most people) end up shooting left - so that when they have to handle their stick with just one hand, it is their dominant right hand."

* Of 1071 NHL players and prospects, 65% shoot left.
* Among forwards only, 61% shoot left.
* Among defencemen, 72% shoot left.

http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archiv...hoot-left.html

I guess that would make me someone who shoots left? I hold my stick just like Kubina does:

So does this mean I shoot left? There seems to be some inconsistency on this depending on what website you see.
must be a leaf fan

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
BadHammy*

Forwards get more benefit from shooting with the stronger hand on bottom, because they can get in the shooting alleys from the off-wing better. But 70% of the time, you should be using dominant hand on top, but there are some factors. I think figuring out the dominant eye helps a lot too. I'm RH but left eye dominant, and it's apparently not all that rare, helps as a LH player. But yeah, people have to understand for beginners, you shoot a lot less of the time than you stickhandle/pass/poke check. There's too much emphasis just on shooting for beginners now a days. I see some tremendously good shooters, who are pathetically bad stick handlers, passers and skaters at C level, I blame the composite stick companies for marketing their shooting power as so important...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote