HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts suspended?? (Update: Suspended for game 6)

Old
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The letter by Sather is just a joke.
Why is it a joke?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Why is it a joke?
What is Washington supposed to do? Not allow the paying customers behind the bench to say anything? Sorry, but thats part of being on the road, and Tortarella, as a professional hockey team's head coach, needs to be smart enough not to get sucked into it. You think the same thing doesnt go on at MSG every single game??? The difference is, most coaches dont spray the fan with a waterbottle and throw a match on the gasoline.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What is Washington supposed to do? Not allow the paying customers behind the bench to say anything? Sorry, but thats part of being on the road, and Tortarella, as a professional hockey team's head coach, needs to be smart enough not to get sucked into it. You think the same thing doesnt go on at MSG every single game??? The difference is, most coaches dont spray the fan with a waterbottle and throw a match on the gasoline.
i agree that torts acted irresponsibly and absolutely dersrved the suspension, but sathers letter is not a joke. i went to game 2 in d.c and was appalled at the security at that game. fights were breaking out everywhere and security had absolutely not control. (i actually made a post on my blog about how bad the security was there a week ago after game 2) i dont think its crazy for torts and his players to feel safe on the bench.

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbuttacallytime View Post
i dont think its crazy for torts and his players to feel safe on the bench.
well said.
I watched some of the replay again today and about two minutes before the incident the fan in the white shirt is cracking jokes with the security guard.
Security at the verizon center is a joke. I had a caps fan start something with me, unprovoked, and the usher and a caps employee in a suit told me to ignore it. Didn't say a word to the fan.
Even if you don't kick him out right away there has to be a line, if it gets to the point where the team doesn't feel safe security should do something more than crack jokes with the guy.

For the record, I am not defending what tortorella did but in this case if fans were allowed to spit on him then it would appear that verizon security may need to be held accountable too.

Old
04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
well said.
I watched some of the replay again today and about two minutes before the incident the fan in the white shirt is cracking jokes with the security guard.
Security at the verizon center is a joke. I had a caps fan start something with me, unprovoked, and the usher and a caps employee in a suit told me to ignore it. Didn't say a word to the fan.
Even if you don't kick him out right away there has to be a line, if it gets to the point where the team doesn't feel safe security should do something more than crack jokes with the guy.

For the record, I am not defending what tortorella did but in this case if fans were allowed to spit on him then it would appear that verizon security may need to be held accountable too.
Would you testify to this in a court of law?

I'm hearing rumors to the effect of the Rangers possibly filing suit against the Capitals, Verizon Center, and the NHL for a failure to provide adequate security. There are supposedly some Ranger fans in the vicinity who saw the entire incident unfold, and they were NEVER asked by security and the league doing its "investigation" as to what happened.

There is obviously more to this story than what the NHL reported. If we are to completely believe the NHL's account, Tortorella threw water and then a water bottle at innocent people. If that's TRULY the case, Tortorella should have been suspended for life. One game doesn't make sense.

NCRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
It's surprising that none of the news accounts mention that Tortorella is a repeat offender. When he was Muckler's assistant in Buffalo he was suspended for slapping around a fan in a wheelchair who was aggressively heckling Muckler. I can't recall if it was a 2 or 3 game suspension. To make matters worse, the guy who he attacked was a prominent attorney in the DA's office and sued for millions. It turned into an expensive mess with Torts exiled to Rochester. Muckler anointed him as his successor but he was overruled and the Sabres went with someone less controversial in Ted Nolan.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
It's surprising that none of the news accounts mention that Tortorella is a repeat offender. When he was Muckler's assistant in Buffalo he was suspended for slapping around a fan in a wheelchair who was aggressively heckling Muckler. I can't recall if it was a 2 or 3 game suspension. To make matters worse, the guy who he attacked was a prominent attorney in the DA's office and sued for millions. It turned into an expensive mess with Torts exiled to Rochester. Muckler anointed him as his successor but he was overruled and the Sabres went with someone less controversial in Ted Nolan.
I'm not even sure what's the most disturbing part of this situation.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Wait a second... Torts slapped a guy in a wheelchair?

Can you provide documentation? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just really like to read more about this.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Smashley

Having torts for a neighbor would be like living next door to Gary Busey. Hes so nuts. As long as he makes my team play tight I could careless who coaches.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know. I just can't defend Torts anymore.

You're telling me you can't keep your ****ing cool after someone wisecracks a buttbuddy joke against two of your players, one - Dan Girardi - who is for sure married? That's juvenile. What's even worse is Sather crying about it too. Wahhh they called my guys gay and lovers..

I was even accepting the, they said some messed up stuff about my family BS. But this? Comeon man, stay in the game, be a grown up, its the damn playoffs.

I'm sure we all have heard much worse, from our own fans.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Wait a second... Torts slapped a guy in a wheelchair?

Can you provide documentation? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just really like to read more about this.
This is all I can find on it on the net. It happened 13 years ago. I forgot Muckler was suspended too. I remember Tortorella because he made contact. It's a good thing it happened at a home game. They wouldn't have gotten out alive doing that on the road.
http://www.sabresfans.com/articles.asp?id=2265&ref=81

Quote:
On March 18, the Sabres lost in overtime to Ottawa, which had won four games in its first 25 starts. It got worse the next day, as the Sabres were pounded, 6-1, by the Tampa Bay Lightning at home. Buffalo gave up five power-play goals.

The frustration spilled over into an incident immediately after the game. The Buffalo coaching staff was walking off the ice when a fan started heckling the group for the team's performance. Both Muckler and assistant coach John Tortorella slapped at the fan. Muckler didn't comment on the incident after the game (he and Tortorella eventually were given suspensions by the league for their actions, and heard about it from fans for weeks), but he did say the team had hit rock bottom. The players weren't much kinder about their performance after a 20-minute postgame meeting.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
truebluegoalie

"The NHL has increased security for the contentious playoff series between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers but won't discipline the Capitals for the way they protected the Rangers bench during Game 5."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ews?id=4103702

shocker.