HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL View Post
More and more I think about how the Oilers have screwed themselves over, its tough to be a fan. It's no guarantee that Omark is going to turn into a Zetterburg but he's definately worth bringing over. $550K is pretty insulting when a guy like Nilsson is making $2M and isn't even on the Sweedish WC team.

GXL
Nilsson and Omark should not be compared. This is Nilsson 2nd contract I believe and this is Omark's entry-level contract. For that reason they shouldn't be comared. Nilsson played last season and he did say he had injuries to deal with. Could it be Nilsson turned it down due to injury. Don't jump to conclussions as we know where that could lead.

04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Fredrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Nilsson and Omark should not be compared. This is Nilsson 2nd contract I believe and this is Omark's entry-level contract. For that reason they shouldn't be comared. Nilsson played last season and he did say he had injuries to deal with. Could it be Nilsson turned it down due to injury. Don't jump to conclussions as we know where that could lead.
Robet Nilsson was left out of the team because he isn't good enough. You do the math.

Btw, why should Omark sign with a team that wants to pay him at most less than half of what he gets in Russia?

Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Robet Nilsson was left out of the team because he isn't good enough. You do the math.

Btw, why should Omark sign with a team that wants to pay him at most less than half of what he gets in Russia?
From my understanding Omark wanted a one-way contract and a guarantee to be one of 14 forwards on the team. He wanted rookie max of $900,000. The Oilers couldn't and should not have to offer Omark a one-way contract. All entry-level contracts are two-way contracts. It's in the CBA. Omark is acting childish and now the Oilers are being thrashed in the Swedish media. That is going to hurt the Oilers lure UFAs as a result. The Swedish media are now thrashing the Oilers like they did with Tommy Salo after the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
From my understanding Omark wanted a one-way contract and a guarantee to be one of 14 forwards on the team. He wanted rookie max of $900,000. The Oilers couldn't and should not have to offer Omark a one-way contract. All entry-level contracts are two-way contracts. It's in the CBA. Omark is acting childish and now the Oilers are being thrashed in the Swedish media. That is going to hurt the Oilers lure UFAs as a result. The Swedish media are now thrashing the Oilers like they did with Tommy Salo after the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
That's hardly what's being reported, so where does your "understanding" come from?

All Omark is saying here is that he was offered minimum NHL salary and close-to-minimum AHL salary. Hardly sounds like he's dictating where he should be there. He didn't rule out playing in the AHL. He just ruled out playing in the AHL for the salary he was offered.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
That's hardly what's being reported, so where does your "understanding" come from?

All Omark is saying here is that he was offered minimum NHL salary and close-to-minimum AHL salary. Hardly sounds like he's dictating where he should be there. He didn't rule out playing in the AHL. He just ruled out playing in the AHL for the salary he was offered.
Bottom line is he didn't want to play in the AHL. It's that simple

Old
04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

Quote:
You can't read.

Yakupov is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
There can't be a bottom line, because that "fact" was never stated.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Fredrik

Quote:
No, the bottom line is the Oilers management told him they don't really believe in him.
His pay in the AHL would be around 5% of his pay in Russia. I know where I would sign and I'm sure you'd sign there too.

Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Omark is leading Swedens Mens team in points at the WHC with 6, 3 behind St. Louis for first

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post

Omark is leading Swedens Mens team in points at the WHC with 6, 3 behind St. Louis for first
St. Louis is a much larger player - explains everything.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
No, the bottom line is the Oilers management told him they don't really believe in him.
His pay in the AHL would be around 5% of his pay in Russia. I know where I would sign and I'm sure you'd sign there too.

They didn't tell him that. It's what Omark's agent infered. As in "Hmmpf, the Oiler's didn't offer you (read:us) enough money, so they must not believe in you kid. Oh well, more money is being offered by KHL, they like you long time."

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee View Post
Interview with Omark today in Expressen (swedish tabloid) after his 5 assist game, where he says that his goal is to make Edmonton regret not believing in him this year and (this is where it gets interesting) that his intention is to make Edmonton want him more next year. The journo makes a point of the fact that there is an out clause. So it seems as though Omark was telling the truth in that he wants to play in the NHL and Edmonton, he just didn't think they had any faith in him, so he is going to show them just how good he is by tearing up the KHL, instead of being buried in the AHL. Interesting tactic if it works...

http://www.hockeyexpressen.se/vm2009...gra-sig-rejalt
Mission accomplished?

Omark was making things happen for much of the game versus Team Canada today. Not too much left to be said in terms of how SAD it is the Oilers are watching this guy lite-up his first ever WC's...only about a week after the Oilers decided they weren't ready to put Omarks' name on their roster.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Mission accomplished?

Omark was making things happen for much of the game versus Team Canada today. Not too much left to be said in terms of how SAD it is the Oilers are watching this guy lite-up his first ever WC's...only about a week after the Oilers decided they weren't ready to put Omarks' name on their roster.
You'd like to think that Lowe and Tambellini will talk to him, paper over some of the cracks/misunderstandings and ensure they keep in regular contact with him when he's playing for Dynamo.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
You'd like to think that Lowe and Tambellini will talk to him, paper over some of the cracks/misunderstandings and ensure they keep in regular contact with him when he's playing for Dynamo.
Shouldn't Lowe and Tambellini be clearing up some of the misunderstanding with US (the fans)???

How do they LOSE this guy to the KHL? How do you do that? How do you scout the kid, STEAL him in the draft (4rth round), evaluate him over a BRILLIANT season in the SEL and then LOSE him to a KHL team?

What do the Oilers say to the scout(s) who did all this work? What do the Oilers say to the 29 other NHL teams who would like to know how the KHL one-ups an NHL team in the bidding for an obviously viable NHL prospect?

Do the Oilers feel that entry level salaries are TOO LOW?

Do the Oilers blame the CBA for this?

Old
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Shouldn't Lowe and Tambellini be clearing up some of the misunderstanding with US (the fans)???

How do they LOSE this guy to the KHL? How do you do that? How do you scout the kid, STEAL him in the draft (4rth round), evaluate him over a BRILLIANT season in the SEL and then LOSE him to a KHL team?

What do the Oilers say to the scout(s) who did all this work? What do the Oilers say to the 29 other NHL teams who would like to know how the KHL one-ups an NHL team in the bidding for an obviously viable NHL prospect?

I saw the game today, and I didn't leave with the impression that he's a sure would be a guaranteed NHL starter in October 09. I'm pretty happy with the idea that they can check back in after a year in the KHL. I think it's win win.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I saw the game today, and I didn't leave with the impression that he's a sure would be a guaranteed NHL starter in October 09. I'm pretty happy with the idea that they can check back in after a year in the KHL. I think it's win win.
i'm not really an "omark believer", as i think hes entirely too small and slow for the NHL.... i agree that i think its a win/win situation for omark and the oilers.... omark wins by signing a contract that will earn the young man some serious money.... the oilers win by getting to see if this year was a fluke of any sort

if omark produces at close to a PPG pace (say 0.8+) in the KHL, then i think we all have to admit that he is a NHL calibre player

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
They decided Gagner was 'NHL ready' on FAR LESS.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Pennertration

Quote:

Yeah, they should give you a call. Actually, I think they sent you a fax right before they faxed off an offer to Omark...satisfied?

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:

So many CAPS! About a nine on the tension scale there, Everest.

Did you consider any of these?
  • He doesn't want to play for the Oilers
  • He wants to use the Oilers as leverage to get a better KHL contract
  • He wants to use the KHL as leverage to get a better NHL contract
  • He was asking for way more money than he's worth
  • His agent is not very good

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Digger12

Quote:
They decided Gagner was 'NHL ready' on FAR LESS.
Gagner's situation was a bit more nuanced than that. IMO the Oilers looked at Gagner's situation and decided that even though he was still only 18, sending him back to junior would've done little, if anything at all, to enhance his development...he'd already managed >2 PPG in his draft year, would him going back and averaging 2.5+ PPG made much difference? On the other hand, because of his youth they didn't have the ability to send him to the AHL either. Their choices were limited, and in the end they felt it was worth the price of burning one of his "cheap" rookie contract years in order to groom him at the NHL level, perhaps in the hopes it would turn him into a superior player down the road for his peak years.

With Omark, the Oilers lucked out in the lack of a transfer agreement w/ the Russians, so now they can see Omark's progression vs. opponents superior to what he'd seen in the past, while at the same time keeping his rights and revisiting his situation 1 year from now.

Who knows what would've happened if the Oilers had had the ability to send Gagner to a KHL team a couple of years ago...or even the SEL?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Gagner's situation was a bit more nuanced than that. IMO the Oilers looked at Gagner's situation and decided that even though he was still only 18, sending him back to junior would've done little, if anything at all, to enhance his development...he'd already managed >2 PPG in his draft year, would him going back and averaging 2.5+ PPG made much difference? On the other hand, because of his youth they didn't have the ability to send him to the AHL either. Their choices were limited, and in the end they felt it was worth the price of burning one of his "cheap" rookie contract years in order to groom him at the NHL level, perhaps in the hopes it would turn him into a superior player down the road for his peak years.

With Omark, the Oilers lucked out in the lack of a transfer agreement w/ the Russians, so now they can see Omark's progression vs. opponents superior to what he'd seen in the past, while at the same time keeping his rights and revisiting his situation 1 year from now.

Who knows what would've happened if the Oilers had had the ability to send Gagner to a KHL team a couple of years ago...or even the SEL?
Mostly agreed.

But a year from now Omark's asking just as much or more money, yes? Thats my guess, anyways.

I mean, its NOT realisitc to think he's going to take a step back or squander NEXT season. Even if his game remains at or near the where it is right now...its NOT unreasonable for him to be looking for the kind of commitment he was 2 weeks ago (or whenever it was) and his WC success doesn't really create a 'CONTREVERSY' (IMO) in as much as it does exactly what he SAID he wanted to do; which was: PROVE to the Oilers brass that he wasn't 'shooting the moon'...he just knows what he should be worth.

Omark didn't neccesarily blow my doors off this past week...but from the Oilers perspective...they offered him 'ENTRY LEVEL CASH/2 WAY CONTRACT' and OMARK blew the OILERS doors off by essentially outscoring the level of player(s) who ACTUALLY are SIGNED to a contract similar to the one they offered Omark. Yes?

Old
05-09-2009, 07:15 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Mostly agreed.

But a year from now Omark's asking just as much or more money, yes? Thats my guess, anyways.

I mean, its NOT realisitc to think he's going to take a step back or squander NEXT season. Even if his game remains at or near the where it is right now...its NOT unreasonable for him to be looking for the kind of commitment he was 2 weeks ago (or whenever it was) and his WC success doesn't really create a 'CONTREVERSY' (IMO) in as much as it does exactly what he SAID he wanted to do; which was: PROVE to the Oilers brass that he wasn't 'shooting the moon'...he just knows what he should be worth.

Omark didn't neccesarily blow my doors off this past week...but from the Oilers perspective...they offered him 'ENTRY LEVEL CASH/2 WAY CONTRACT' and OMARK blew the OILERS doors off by essentially outscoring the level of player(s) who ACTUALLY are SIGNED to a contract similar to the one they offered Omark. Yes?
The Oilers can only offer him an entry level two way contract, they can't break the CBA rules.

He kept on complaining about something the Oilers have no control over or have most of you missed that point? He can only get the maximum offer but it will still be an entry level two way contract.

Perhaps you should all be turning that finger around and blaming a lack of a transfer agreement!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The Oilers can only offer him an entry level two way contract, they can't break the CBA rules.

He kept on complaining about something the Oilers have no control over or have most of you missed that point? He can only get the maximum offer but it will still be an entry level two way contract.

Perhaps you should all be turning that finger around and blaming a lack of a transfer agreement!
^^^???

Read post # 664.

Old
05-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
look, i've never been a big fan of omarks (as i don't think his size will allow him to be effective in the NHL), but not offering the max of 875k is simply laughable when you have a guy like liam freaking reddox in your lineup on a regular basis
Reddox didn't demand the rookie max like Omark did.

Old
05-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

According to an article from the Eberle thread this is what the Oilers refused to give Omark.....

"He received the maximum allowed for rookies under the collective bargaining agreement, which is $875,000 per year. That includes an annual NHL base salary of $787,500, plus one-third of the signing bonus ($87,500). The signing bonus is included under the $875,000 cap figure. The max signing bonus allowed is 10 per cent of that number, which is what Eberle received. In addition, he received “significant” performance bonuses under the terms of the deal. Of course, the first year of the contract doesn’t kick in until he plays 10 NHL games.
Eberle also received the maximum rookie minor-league salary of $65,000

Not sure about the performance bonuses, but if we were trying to nickel and dime a SEL scoring leader for AHL performance, what the hell is wrong with this team??? If we gave him the rookie max and the AHL max would it have killed us if he was in Springfield next year if he wasn't worth his NHL contract??? Seriously, this is pretty comical

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote