HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

WHY wait 6 months or longer to move 2" closer to the line in the sand?

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2004, 10:28 AM
eye

vCash: 500
WHY wait 6 months or longer to move 2" closer to the line in the sand?

Now that the NHL and NHLPA have completed their initial posturing with both sides establishing a seemingly insermountable stance for their respective sides, it's time to move forward and find solutions as quickly as possible as the fate of hockey and continued fan support in North America could be in jeopordy if they don't. Sure there will always be support in Canada and 3 or 4 U.S. cities but even in the keenest hockey hotbeds they will lose fans as well if this mess doesn't start to get handled with more thoughtfulness and respect for each others position as well as in the best interest of the game and it's fans. WHY WAIT 6 months or longer just to gain a few inches in the negotiations or in an attempt to break the NHLPA? Makes no sense to the fans and is extremely harmful to the future growth of hockey. Find some middle ground and get it going. A compromised form of cost certainty which is understadable and makes good business sense with some real incentives to the players side for good performance would be a good starting point.

Old
09-21-2004, 11:21 AM
fan mao rong

Hey, great idea. Now, tell me, how do you get a compromised form of certainty?

Old
09-21-2004, 11:43 AM
eye

Well it's simple yet complicated. If I'm the President of a Company, let's say Ford and I want my company to be prosperous, good to my shareholders but fair to my employees and customers, I have to set perameters which is what Bettman is attempting to do. The old way of doing business and allowing department heads to make decisions isn't and wasn't working so lets move forward and look ahead. Give my employees or in this case my players a bone or a solid bonus structure for exceptional performance and also a penalty for not performing up to standards. Bonus structure could be outside the Cost Certainty System up to a certain % of total cap. There are solutions; We just need the will the find them. Get key decision makers and stakeholders checked into a hotel in a neutral far away from the media location and hammer away at a deal. SIMPLE isn't it?

Old
09-21-2004, 11:49 AM

It's nice in theory, but a different beast.

Most of the posturing is just a power play to make the other side buckle. It comes down to a starring contest, the first to blink loses. That's how it was in 1994, and not much has changed except the owners & players are both prepared for a lengthy lockout now.

I'd like to see some creative ideas involved, as it seems like we've seen nearly the same thing transpire between the two sides the past year now. Much like other factors in the game, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that no one except those involved really knows about. It's hard to speculate on such things not knowing the intricate details I find.

Of course it'd be nice to just lock them in a room together and tell them to get it done, but more is at stake than that.

Old
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
Now that the NHL and NHLPA have completed their initial posturing with both sides establishing a seemingly insermountable stance for their respective sides, it's time to move forward and find solutions as quickly as possible as the fate of hockey and continued fan support in North America could be in jeopordy if they don't. Sure there will always be support in Canada and 3 or 4 U.S. cities but even in the keenest hockey hotbeds they will lose fans as well if this mess doesn't start to get handled with more thoughtfulness and respect for each others position as well as in the best interest of the game and it's fans. WHY WAIT 6 months or longer just to gain a few inches in the negotiations or in an attempt to break the NHLPA? Makes no sense to the fans and is extremely harmful to the future growth of hockey. Find some middle ground and get it going. A compromised form of cost certainty which is understadable and makes good business sense with some real incentives to the players side for good performance would be a good starting point.
The NHL has said that it WILL NOT PLAY UNTIL IT GETS COST CERTAINTY. Therefore, the NHLPA can let go of it's no salary cap stance and agree to play under "cost certainty." Again, the NHL absolutely will not play unless it gets cost certainty. End of story.

Old
09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentia
The NHL has said that it WILL NOT PLAY UNTIL IT GETS COST CERTAINTY. Therefore, the NHLPA can let go of it's no salary cap stance and agree to play under "cost certainty." Again, the NHL absolutely will not play unless it gets cost certainty. End of story.
The NHLPA has said that it will not accept a salary cap, therefore, the NHL can abandon its salary cap stance and agree to the proposals given by the NHLPA.

And, again, the NHL needs the NHLPA more than the players do.

Closed Thread