HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Getting scoring up.

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Getting scoring up.

Well, I know that with all the cba talk this might not be the most popular subject, but I'm thinking that once the season starts up again (yes I'm an optimist I said when not if) There's still going to be a problem with lack of scoring in the league.

Does anyone here have any idea what the best course of action could be?
Does anyone think that this more defensive hockey is more exiting that high scoring hockey?
Are the Habs part of the problem since they play a defensive minded system?
Is the Trap killing hockey?

Old
09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester
Well, I know that with all the cba talk this might not be the most popular subject, but I'm thinking that once the season starts up again (yes I'm an optimist I said when not if) There's still going to be a problem with lack of scoring in the league.

Does anyone think that this more defensive hockey is more exiting that high scoring hockey?
Kill the trap, and all will be better........

Old
09-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Jacques Plante

I don't think we should do anything to change the game. I think tampering with the game is a bad idea. I see the game of hockey as one that goes through phases. In the early 70s toughness was the key then the Habs came along and changed all that with speed and skill. the 80's and early 90's were high flying and high scoring and now we've arrived to a defence first era. Eventually the game will change, in its own natural protection. Players and coaches will find a way to render the trap obsolete, just let the game take its own natural course.

Just my opinion...

Old
09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Plante
I don't think we should do anything to change the game. I think tampering with the game is a bad idea. I see the game of hockey as one that goes through phases. In the early 70s toughness was the key then the Habs came along and changed all that with speed and skill. the 80's and early 90's were high flying and high scoring and now we've arrived to a defence first era. Eventually the game will change, in its own natural protection. Players and coaches will find a way to render the trap obsolete, just let the game take its own natural course.

Just my opinion...
Totally agree with you. The trap fest started once NJ won the cup with it, hopefully with TB winning the cup playing a more wide open style it starts off a new era with the return of more offence.

Old
09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Plante

Just my opinion...
Good POV! Never heard it from that angle before!

Old
09-20-2004, 09:23 PM
chicpea*

I think they should put plexiglass on all the benches so ya, players can't change on the fly, but you can do more bank shots 'off the glass' and beat the trap that way.

I also think that every team should be forced into hiring a professional doorman to work the gates on the bench. He should wear a standard uniform like the refs, only classier and he should also carry a ceremonial sword.

I also think that on powerplays, instead of having 5 on 4 it should be more like 15 on 6 because then we would have more goals right? Well, maybe not. But if we used two pucks at once that would guarantee it.

Old
09-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Form and Substance

I prefer the old 'strip the goalie of his pads and equipment' solution.

Old
09-20-2004, 09:57 PM
chicpea*

I also think that all the players should be forced to get "Faster" haircuts - like, with ducktails and whatnot.

Also, this whole idea of removing the red line is ridiculous. I think they should keep it, but get rid of the bluelines instead - this way, there is no neutral zone, just two end zones. And with no neutral zone, there is no neutral zone trap.

you're welcome.

Old
09-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
I also think that all the players should be forced to get "Faster" haircuts - like, with ducktails and whatnot.

Also, this whole idea of removing the red line is ridiculous. I think they should keep it, but get rid of the bluelines instead - this way, there is no neutral zone, just two end zones. And with no neutral zone, there is no neutral zone trap.

you're welcome.
Thank you holy one

Old
09-20-2004, 10:05 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester

First off....Great Thread! It's really nice to have a non CBA thread that isn't something about baking lemon pies .

I agree with the notion that the game goes through phases and that we probably shouldn't change the rules just to counter every phase. I do however think that the goalies are getting ridiculous with the size of their pads and I am all for sizing it down to a point where the same protection is available but with far less space being covered . the pads wideness has nothing to do with protection so slim them down a bit and leave them as thick as they need to not feel shots. Make the gloves smaller, the blockers smaller....they have nothing to do with protecting the body and they are just ridiculously big .
Last but not least all potential NHL goalies should be forced to drink Midget Juice from the age of 13 , this will prevent goalies from being too tall when they reach maturity.

Old
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Kill the trap, and all will be better........
And how you do that? You give a penality when they use the trap?

Old
09-20-2004, 10:28 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

-Bring the intensity one notch higher :
* less games per season, how about arround 70 games? The players are getting more rest between the games and are able to play with more energy and focus

** How about 4 quarters of 15 minutes with a 10 minutes intermission between each quarter? I thought it might help the players to replenish more between each quarters, thus allowing them to be more intense. I know hockey has always been played with 3 periods of 20 minutes, but it's still better to change this format than going 4 on 4, the game is still played in the same way, it's just played with more intensity and rests.

-Changing the rules :
* I'd like the NHL to give one additional point each time a team scores 4 goals. This way, each team will be build in order to score those damn goals. You'll see a lot of offensive player popping up everywhere, and obviously more skilled guys being drafted. With time, almost every team will be offensive minded. Also, with an additional point, there's an additional meaning to every games. Let's say it's 5-2 going on third period (or fourth quarter if you like my idea), there's a hope that the team makes it to 4 goals, it gets interesting. It often happens that an offensive game goes one way and losses its interest. Not with an addition point given on the 4th goal. Let's say it's 3-3 going on overtime against boston in a playoff race, could you imagine how interesting the game could be!

** Bring back to old offside rule. Period.

*** Extend overtime to 10 minutes. There's twice more time to score the goal, according to db23 extrapolations, there's also (with a 99.9% error-free margin) twice more chances to see a goal scored in overtime. Right? Might be interesting to see a game winner, especially if there's an extra point on the line.

-Improve the talent poll :
* Get rid of 6 teams that doesn't work, never worked and will never work well. Then, they should make a draft with those players, it should give about one good player to every team in the league. Let's say you get rid of Anaheim, Phoenix, Nashville, Pittsburg, Carolina and Florida. It should give you one of (Comrie, Doan, Nagy, Morris, Mara, Legwand, Vokoun, Sullivan, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Timmonen, Lupul, Fedorov, Sykora, Giguere, Williams, Cole, Brind'Amour, Staal, O'Neill, Jokinen, Horton, Bouwmeester, Luongo, Morozov, Tarnstrom) + at least one good prospect! It will help every team to get deeper too. What was a 3-4th dmen with those team could become a 5-6th dmen with the other teams. A good improvement imo.

** With less teams, thus less picks per round at the draft, increase the number of rounds at the draft. There should be a little bit more drafties every year, not too much though. But there's always a few guys that go late, undrafted or drafted a year after that could make a nice 10th or 11th round selection, with more picks teams won't fear to take chances late. They'll also try a few more europeans overagers. Let's say you already drafted all the guys you were looking for in the 8th first rounds, and there's one european overager + 5 wildcards that you weren't too sure about it and you give them a chance. Well, there's a small chance of getting something out of it, why not going for it. If you force them to take a look at players, especially if you want to see more skilled guys being draft, they'll take a look at them.

Old
09-20-2004, 10:50 PM
justicex

Call ALL the penalties. This will create more powerplay and more goals.

Im tired to see so many games where the final score is the result of give or not a penalty because the team is or not leading by 2 goals..

Old
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
And how you do that? You give a penality when they use the trap?
By doing what chicpea said.................

Old
09-20-2004, 11:02 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea

you're welcome.
You never watched those rollerhockey games back then, heh?

Old
09-20-2004, 11:06 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
You never watched those rollerhockey games back then, heh?
Exactly! They had fast haircuts and tuxedoed doormen. I was addicted to the action.

Old
09-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
I also agree with the guys who say that scoring will get up naturally, once the coaches start to find either another emphasis or a way to break the trap.

I also think that we're seeing some great quality hockey right now. A lot of people are complaining that without scoring the game is boring, but other than for the games where you see two purely defensive teams go at it I think that the games are pretty good. I can't say that I was really bored watching any habs matches this year. All around I was entertained, and I like what I saw. Well for the most part...can't say I ever really enjoy losses.

Closed Thread