HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu's thought about future in Finnish media

Old
04-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Noldo

vCash: 500
Koivu's thought about future in Finnish media

Saku Koivu gave an interview to Finnish sport magazine "Veikkaaja" after the playoffs.

Key points of the article:

- If Koivu was to continue in Montreal he probably would need to take lower salary, but accepting pay cut could be questionable: the salary is also sign of appreciation [this is opinion stated by the magazine, not Koivu]

- "Montreal is my home and I have no reason to leave. However, the team must feel the same way" [Koivu]

- If contract is not signed by July 1st, Koivu thinks his career in Montreal is over

- "One don't get many changes to test free agency. It could be quite interesting to wake up in the morning to see what kind of offers other teams had put forward" [Koivu]

- "Change of team would be quite strange feeling. It would be a dramatic change in life" [Koivu]

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Saku Koivu gave an interview to Finnish sport magazine "Veikkaaja" after the playoffs.

Key points of the article:

- If Koivu was to continue in Montreal he probably would need to take lower salary, but accepting pay cut could be questionable: the salary is also sign of appreciation [this is opinion stated by the magazine, not Koivu]

- "Montreal is my home and I have no reason to leave. However, the team must feel the same way" [Koivu]

- If contract is not signed by July 1st, Koivu thinks his career in Montreal is over

- "One don't get many changes to test free agency. It could be quite interesting to wake up in the morning to see what kind of offers other teams had put forward" [Koivu]

- "Change of team would be quite strange feeling. It would be a dramatic change in life" [Koivu]
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sport...626/story.html

"Saku likes to see things through," said a former teammate and good friend who chose to remain anonymous. "But I think it would be a breath of fresh air for him to play with his brother. Saku could be the No. 2 centre there." Koivu told the Montreal media after the Boston Bruins swept them 4-0 in their Eastern Conference quarter-final series that he wouldn't rush to judgment, but certainly wanted to see what GM Bob Gainey had in mind to improve the Canadiens. He also said he wasn't sure how a Koivu dynamic would work in Minnesota, that he wouldn't do anything without talking to Mikko.

However, Mikko has already talked to people in Minnesota about how thrilled he would be to have his brother at his side.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't understand why he keep saying that if he didn't sign before July 1st, that his career is over here. I mean, how about we let you go and see what's out there but then counter offer and still are about to keep you?

I mean if you really want to come back, you'll still keep your options open after July 1st no? I mean even after July 1st, we might still be the team who would want him the most....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't understand why he keep saying that if he didn't sign before July 1st, that his career is over here. I mean, how about we let you go and see what's out there but then counter offer and still are about to keep you?

I mean if you really want to come back, you'll still keep your options open after July 1st no? I mean even after July 1st, we might still be the team who would want him the most....
Based on Koivu's comments I would assume that he really is willing to return to Habs, provided that the management still wants him to be there.

Now, if management and Koivu both want Koivu to stay, the contract should and will be finalised before July 1st. Therefore if Koivu isn't signed by Habs come July 1st, the management does not want to have him back and Koivu will take offer from another team.

Have no doubts, there will be teams willing to offer him good to great second line center role and money (Naturally Minnesota is among the possible destinations).

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Based on Koivu's comments I would assume that he really is willing to return to Habs, provided that the management still wants him to be there.

Now, if management and Koivu both want Koivu to stay, the contract should and will be finalised before July 1st. Therefore if Koivu isn't signed by Habs come July 1st, the management does not want to have him back and Koivu will take offer from another team.

Have no doubts, there will be teams willing to offer him good to great second line center role and money (Naturally Minnesota is among the possible destinations).
Sure. Still, if the Habs had something else in mind but that couldn't work, if they go back to Koivu after July 1st, well Koivu won't like it and won't sign? I would understand that my team has 10ish players to sign and that there might other interesting options. And they might even do that for Koivu's advantage in order for him to know who else want him out there and also the possibility to get a better contracts if there's more than one team implicated.

Just saying, if you REALLY want to be here, you keep your options open. You might feel like you are not option #1 for the Habs, but if the Habs still come back with an interesting offer, well you're interesting enough to have that offer.

Old
04-28-2009, 07:42 AM
JaymzB

Quote:

He probably thinks that given his relationship with the team, and his length of tenure, if he doesn’t get a offer before July 1st, then that means the team will want to move in another direction. Perfectly reasonable position to me.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
He probably thinks that given his relationship with the team, and his length of tenure, if he doesn’t get a offer before July 1st, then that means the team will want to move in another direction. Perfectly reasonable position to me.
And to me, depending of the conversations, it could also mean that Gainey and Co want to show him some respect by letting him see what are the other options. Something like "You go and see what's out there and what kind of contract you could have but come back to us right before you sign anything".

So not only you have the possibility to see if a Cup contender team is interested in you, but also the possibility in having a better contract since there would teams in competition. To me it could also be seen as a sign of respect.

Old
04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Sure. Still, if the Habs had something else in mind but that couldn't work, if they go back to Koivu after July 1st, well Koivu won't like it and won't sign? I would understand that my team has 10ish players to sign and that there might other interesting options. And they might even do that for Koivu's advantage in order for him to know who else want him out there and also the possibility to get a better contracts if there's more than one team implicated.

Just saying, if you REALLY want to be here, you keep your options open. You might feel like you are not option #1 for the Habs, but if the Habs still come back with an interesting offer, well you're interesting enough to have that offer.
Then it would be up to the management to explain that to him. Don't forget, there is 2 months before July 1st.

Plus, you're expecting the guy to go into free agency uncertain if the club wants him back, and then hope he doesn't get a great contract offer from another franchise. And if he does, and then signs there, that proves he REALLY didn't want to come back?

Old
04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

translation: I want to play in Montreal unless the team ****s around with me.

Also keep in mind Koivu may not be convinced that Gainey will be around on July 1st. This is a public warning to people like Boivin who may not have the day to day contact with Koivu that Gainey does.

If Gainey doesn't have a competitive offer to Koivu by July 1 he might as well resign. In other words, an offer is coming.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
And to me, depending of the conversations, it could also mean that Gainey and Co want to show him some respect by letting him see what are the other options. Something like "You go and see what's out there and what kind of contract you could have but come back to us right before you sign anything".

So not only you have the possibility to see if a Cup contender team is interested in you, but also the possibility in having a better contract since there would teams in competition. To me it could also be seen as a sign of respect.
Well, then I doubt those conversations have happened yet. Like I said before, its still 2 months before he is a free agent, plenty of time for the parties to sit down and discuss. Just right now, he probably feels like if he doesn't have that contract, then the team probably doesn't want to move forward with him. I think any veteran in his position would feel the same way.

Old
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
TheCH*

I don't know if everybody read this:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...5kM01NGszwXT6Q

I really doubt Koivu and Komisarek are back. I am optimistic about the other bigger name ufa's we have though based on that.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
No that will not happen. Take what he keeps saying at face value, and that is if they haven't reached at deal by July 1 then he is out of here.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:37 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

I really doubt Koivu and Komisarek are back. I am optimistic about the other bigger name ufa's we have though based on that.
Interesting last line, Schneider says he wants to sign for 2 years, hope he doesn't expect 5M a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of our UFA's are gone, what a crazy summer this is going to be. New Owner?, New Management? New Coach?, New Players? Yikes.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:00 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Let him go. After this season, the fans and the media in this city don't deserve someone like Saku Koivu. I give it 3 months before the haters are crying for him again.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Ishmael

Personally, I'd like to see the majority of this team have another shot or two at redemption. They finished first last year, had an unbelievably crappy year this year. I believe this team is not far away from being a serious contender. I'd like to see BG keep the team together for a 2-yr window and try to add the few missing pieces rather than rip apart and start a rebuild right now.

Markov and Hamrlik are signed for two years. According to that article, Koivu and Schneider are looking for 2-3 year deals, Kovalev has another couple in him.

I'll admit that part of that is because I'd really like to see Koivu holding the cup in a Habs jersey.

The caveat being that they are able to make a significant upgrade in a position, whether that's through FA or a trade. If not, then the rebuild is the logical way to go, and that IMO would involve trading Markov for a big package of young talent.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Let him go. After this season, the fans and the media in this city don't deserve someone like Saku Koivu. I give it 3 months before the haters are crying for him again.
The truth in your comment hurts.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
number 11

if the organization shows him the respect he deserves and offers him a fair contract, he will come back. if gainey is in charge, i'm sure this will be the case. either way, prepare for the massive **** storm.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Interesting last line, Schneider says he wants to sign for 2 years, hope he doesn't expect 5M a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of our UFA's are gone, what a crazy summer this is going to be. New Owner?, New Management? New Coach?, New Players? Yikes.
The best comment in this article is Tanguay's. Number of years preferable to the salary? Well that's exactly what we need my friend. Unless he doesn't want to, this guy is coming back.

Old
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
How so? Most fans since he's been here have always been on his side. Those fans are the same ones that gave him one of the best standing O in the history of the team. Despite all the bad reviews by the media as far as his performance and his leadership, we rarely heard the crowd boo him except after the Ribeiro incident, booing that lasted 1 game.

People recognize his hard work but also recognize that he was put in a place he should not have been put in.

Fans deserved the best team possible after 15 years of mediocre play. And if it means with Koivu, well they deserve to see him back. But Koivu will not be able to take back a 1st line duty. You can't have a 1st line centerman that can't play more than 18 minutes.

Old
04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
3 months ? Heck - took them one week for Carbo. Right before everyone was asking for his head - right after he was the best think that ever happened to the Habs.

Saku deserves better.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:57 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Sad but true. I really hope he stays, his name and face is the Montreal Canadiens right now. I would love him here as the second line centre.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Magic33

I want Saku back, in a diminished role. 3 line center maybe, less minutes. Honestly, if Komi doesn't sign, I wont be upset in the least bit. I personally think he is a little overrated, not to mention the fact he will be asking for 5 million. 5 million dollars for someone who is effective in 1 zone on the ice is way to much imo (not including goalies).

My dad told me about this, and I didn't have the patience to look through it, but he said on Habs I/O, there was a comment by some dude who said this girl he knows who works at Buona Notte spoke to komisarek a day or two after they were eliminated, and he told her he wont be back because the habs offered him 3 million, and he wants upwards of 5. Take it for what its worth, dont shoot the messenger. Even if its not true, its something that I see happening in the next month or so.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

so from that article.

koivu and komi - not sure about coming back.

kovalev - wants to come back
lang - wants to come back
tanguay - wants to come back
schneider - will if he signs 2 year deal.

those 4 right there arent' a bad core to build around. Kovalev gets a permanent C, thus possibly adding on ice stability, habs keep a big centre, habs keep a playmaker, habs keep a puck moving D man.

1 or 2 d men acquisitions plus rookie D's coming up will make the blue line look better, and getting rid of garbage up front ( ' looks at pleks and the bros') will free up cap space for a deal or 2 up front, and pacs, d'ago get full time status.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The best comment in this article is Tanguay's. Number of years preferable to the salary? Well that's exactly what we need my friend. Unless he doesn't want to, this guy is coming back.
I missed that one. Good to hear, would hate to lose him for nothing after giving up a 1st and 2nd for him. If he can stay healthy, he's going to put points on the board.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Clumsyhab

One thing that we are sure that will happen about Koivu's future is whatever he decides to do, the french media will bash him.

He signs here and beats Beliveau Habs captaincy record, the french media will not forgive him and bring back the french language issue.

He signs elsewhere and he's not a real Hab and plays for money only (that's what Ron Fournier said when Carbo was fired, Koivu plays for his stats and dont care about the team).

Speaking of Ron, he said yesterday that he will tell us who were the cancers in the locker room today or tomorrow on CKAC at 4pm. Yes he knows everything. Expect him to blame Koivu for the pork flu.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote