HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media admitted to be seen by NHL players as "une Joke"/Gong Show/Animals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
  #51
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I guess your point is that the Montréal hockey media are inciting hatred and violence and control people's minds, based on your "clumsy" example.
No, that wasn't my point. I nor anyone else on this forum has ever claimed that the Montreal hockey media are inciting hatred and violence*. But of course, you are well aware of that.

Quote:
PS : 800 000 people died in Rwanda. Yeah, I can really see the parallel with the situation here in Québec, about a hockey team. Your use of that comparison is offensive.
No, it's not. What is offensive is you purposely misinterpreting what I have say just because… just because you're that kind of guy. Or you simply don't know how to read.

When the wise man points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger.



* well, waffledave seems to disagree. Oh well...

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
  #52
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I guess your point is that the Montréal hockey media are inciting hatred and violence and control people's minds, based on your "clumsy" example.

PS : 800 000 people died in Rwanda. Yeah, I can really see the parallel with the situation here in Québec, about a hockey team. Your use of that comparison is offensive.
No. His point is that you can't absolve the media just because the people choose to tune in to it. The scale of the repercussions don't even come into the equation.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
  #53
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
No, that wasn't my point. I nor anyone else on this forum has ever claimed that the Montreal hockey media are inciting hatred and violence. But of course, you are well aware of that.



No, it's not. What is offensive is you purposely misinterpreting what I have say just because… just because you're that kind of guy. Or you simply don't know how to read.

When the wise man points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger.
Refering to 800 000 + massacred VS Having your opinion challenged on the internet. Yeah, I see your point about being offended.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
  #54
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I guess your point is that the Montréal hockey media are inciting hatred and violence and control people's minds, based on your "clumsy" example.

PS : 800 000 people died in Rwanda. Yeah, I can really see the parallel with the situation here in Québec, about a hockey team. Your use of that comparison is offensive.
No. His point is that the Media in Mtl is powerful enough to influence the judgment of its listeners.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure that one out.
Get off your high horse.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
  #55
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Nice!! After all the rumors and crap he spreaded about the Habs, he deserves to get that picture posted everywhere on the Web, and discussed for at least one week on L'Antichambre and 110%!!

Maybe we should also start a rumor about it... Hmmm... François Gagnon is an alcoholic and he has cheated on his wife. And the guy with him, well... It's still not confirmed but with all the calls and blackberry messages I receive, I can assure there will soon be more reports about it with verified sources, and with much worse revelations about him... Now speculate...
Besides a media deposit to the team, we should also start a watchdog group. Some of us live close to downtown, work in downtown bars and clubs and restaurants. We should gather files on our journalists and put it on a sticky thread. Put the link to that thread on numerous sites, like facebook. I can see it happening. The bidaily series of photos of Réjaune Tremblay eating free lunches at restaurants. The photos of some pundit giving money to an escort. Gagnon partying away. It would be epic. A taste of their own medicine.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
  #56
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't agree with you. The bolded part in your text proves it. There will always be fans to listen to any media because we are interested in the team. So whatever the outlet, the fans will be listening, whether its positive and negative. The problem is the media concentrates on the negative mostly, because they are in competition with each other. They aren't realizing that their inner war for profits is killing the Habs in the long run. With less and less UFAs wanting to come here because of them, this team might end up with less fans in the end, and every one is going to lose in this, yet the media will be the primary reason for this. They can't see how their agendas and attitude will kill their own profit in the end. They are self-serving, and THAT's the main problem.
Totally agreed.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
  #57
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Besides a media deposit to the team, we should also start a watchdog group. Some of us live close to downtown, work in downtown bars and clubs and restaurants. We should gather files on our journalists and put it on a sticky thread. Put the link to that thread on numerous sites, like facebook. I can see it happening. The bidaily series of photos of Réjaune Tremblay eating free lunches at restaurants. The photos of some pundit giving money to an escort. Gagnon partying away. It would be epic. A taste of their own medicine.
The sweetest kind of irony. I like.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
  #58
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No. His point is that the Media in Mtl is powerful enough to influence the judgment of its listeners.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure that one out.
Get off your high horse.
Or this


la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
  #59
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfart McGeezax View Post
François Gagnon is a joke

I'm thinking about starting a thread to serve to the sport journalists their own medecine... We could post all embarrassing pictures like that, spread rumors and speculate about them, and if we've heard of an embarrassing story about them, say it! That it's true or not doesn't really matter.

Maybe these journalists will finally understand how it feels when people are publicly talking about personal matters and embarrassing stories about you... A thread like that could become very popular!!

Of course, you don't need to bring any proof or sources. All you have to do is say : "I've learned this and this and it's still not confirmed, but it will soon be."

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
  #60
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Refering to 800 000 + massacred VS Having your opinion challenged on the internet. Yeah, I see your point about being offended.
Oh come on, get off your high horse. He even mentioned it was a clumsy comparison. His point was how the media can influence the people, now matter what the subject is. In this sense, his analogy is good. Switch to decaf dude.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
  #61
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No. His point is that the Media in Mtl is powerful enough to influence the judgment of its listeners.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure that one out.
Get off your high horse.
I get the point, it is repeated ad nauseam on this very site. My objection had to do with the ludicrous comparison established. If that's the best comparison one can make, I would say it points to a faulty argument.


Last edited by Gros Bill: 04-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
  #62
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I'm thinking about starting a thread to serve to the sport journalists their own medecine... We could post all embarrassing pictures like that, spread rumors and speculate about them, and if we've heard of an embarrassing story about them, say it! That it's true or not doesn't really matter.

Maybe these journalists will finally understand how it feels when people are publicly talking about personal matters and embarrassing stories about you... A thread like that could become very popular!!
Hey! Don't steal my ideas!!! Look up!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
  #63
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hey! Don't steal my ideas!!! Look up!
Cool! I'll be actively participating!

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
  #64
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I get the point, it is repeated ad nauseam on this very site. My objection had to do with the ludicrous comparison established. If that's the best comparison once can make, I would say it points to a faulty argument.
I posted this in another thread:

Just today, at lunch, some of my coworkers and I were talking hockey and mentioned some of the UFAs maybe leaving. One woman pipes in with a "Je veux garder ceux qui parlent francais seulement"...Yeah ok...And the media has no influence on the public? Please!

An example of the media influencing the public to make opinions on what the team should do based on values that are not in the best interest of the team.

And nobody died in my example, so it's right up your alley.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
  #65
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I get the point, it is repeated ad nauseam on this very site. My objection had to do with the ludicrous comparison established. If that's the best comparison once can make, I would say it points to a faulty argument.
You're still missing the point.

Would you be offended if I said that Réjean Tremblay is acting like he has the political cloth of the genocide hungry Kissinger? I could give a miryad of examples. The points is to SHOW the media's influence, and for that, the comparison isn't even clumsy.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
  #66
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I posted this in another thread:

Just today, at lunch, some of my coworkers and I were talking hockey and mentioned some of the UFAs maybe leaving. One woman pipes in with a "Je veux garder ceux qui parlent francais seulement"...Yeah ok...And the media has no influence on the public? Please!

An example of the media influencing the public to make opinions on what the team should do based on values that are not in the best interest of the team.

And nobody died in my example, so it's right up your alley.
Your contempt is duly noted. Weak anecdotal evidence like what you've just cited is the closest you'll get to demonstrating the media's influence on people as pertains to hockey in Montréal.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
  #67
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Your contempt is duly noted. Weak anecdotal evidence like what you've just cited is the closest you'll get to demonstrating the media's influence on people as pertains to hockey in Montréal.
Are you HONESTLY denying the media influence on people? Do you think it never happens, or just for the specific case of Montreal sport journalism?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
  #68
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I get the point, it is repeated ad nauseam on this very site. My objection had to do with the ludicrous comparison established. If that's the best comparison once can make, I would say it points to a faulty argument.
I guess you're in your ''let's argue'' mode

Actually his comparison is pretty spot on.

His point was to show how the media can influence the people.
His example proves it perfectly.

But it wasn't even a comparison. Just an example of how the Media can be influential.


Sure there's other examples. Last week my buddy told me he wanted the Kost and Price out because they're cokeheads and into dirty stuff(sex with minors, sexual harrassment) . After laughing in his face, I asked him where he got that and he said the news. He was convinced it was true because people rely on the Media to inform them. People trust the Media.

So..there you have it. Let's drop this Rwanda example.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
  #69
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Your contempt is duly noted. Weak anecdotal evidence like what you've just cited is the closest you'll get to demonstrating the media's influence on people as pertains to hockey in Montréal.
And what kind of evidence would be valid in your eyes, aside from anecdotal evidence?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
  #70
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I guess you're in your ''let's argue'' mode

Actually his comparison is pretty spot on.

His point was to show how the media can influence the people.
His example proves it perfectly.

But it wasn't even a comparison. Just an example of how the Media can be influential.


Sure there's other examples. Last week my buddy told me he wanted the Kost and Price out because they're cokeheads and into dirty stuff. After laughing in his face, I asked him where he got that and he said the news.

So..there you have it. Let's drop this Rwanda example.
That's all I asked for, it's not like I wanted to interrupt the bash fest.


Last edited by Gros Bill: 04-28-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: excision of profanity
Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
  #71
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sure there's other examples. Last week my buddy told me he wanted the Kost and Price out because they're cokeheads and into dirty stuff. After laughing in his face, I asked him where he got that and he said the news.
My dad said the same thing. Says one of his clients told him he "read an article in the news about the Habs partying like crazy" and that they're all on coke...Sigh...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
  #72
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I posted this in another thread:

Just today, at lunch, some of my coworkers and I were talking hockey and mentioned some of the UFAs maybe leaving. One woman pipes in with a "Je veux garder ceux qui parlent francais seulement"...Yeah ok...And the media has no influence on the public? Please!

An example of the media influencing the public to make opinions on what the team should do based on values that are not in the best interest of the team.

And nobody died in my example, so it's right up your alley.
I think you're seeing this the wrong way... In this case, it's not the media that influences the public but rather the opposite.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
  #73
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
And what kind of evidence would be valid in your eyes, aside from anecdotal evidence?
LOL, you won't find any evidence that is not anecdotal. Which media controls your brain?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
  #74
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I think you're seeing this the wrong way... In this case, it's not the media that influences the public but rather the opposite.
I disagree.
Sure, some fans would always complain about getting more Quebecers. But those fans would be a dying breed.

In today's hockey, most of the fans are young. They've been brought up in a much different society then their peers. I don't think a 20yo Mtl native male would complain about how this team needs more Quebecers if the Media didn't talk about it constantly.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:56 PM
  #75
maci4life
Registered User
 
maci4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Macedonia
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
I wonder how much media pressure would subside if Quebec were to have another team again?

I don't blame the fans, i blame the media. The fans don't demand certain gossip or news, they just want to hear some news. The media FEEDS the fans whatever news they so desire.

I think that MTL will not do much in terms of curbing media, unless they're tangibly hurt by it. It would take quite a few players both on the team and around the NHL stating that they would prefer NOT to play in Montreal soley based on the media tactics and unnecessary pressure they put on the team.

THE PLAYERS HAVE TO PUT A STOP TO IT AND THEY CAN!!

Media's been all over Vinny. How much of a blow would it be if he were to have a press conference stating that he'd love to play in MTL but the only reason he won't is because of the media, and only that. Naturally the media would deflect and twist around the statement for some damage control but that would be pretty damning.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.