HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media admitted to be seen by NHL players as "une Joke"/Gong Show/Animals

Old
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
THE PLAYERS HAVE TO PUT A STOP TO IT AND THEY CAN!!

Media's been all over Vinny. How much of a blow would it be if he were to have a press conference stating that he'd love to play in MTL but the only reason he won't is because of the media, and only that. Naturally the media would deflect and twist around the statement for some damage control but that would be pretty damning.
Well, you can just take Tanguay as example. (Please don't argue that Vinny >> Tanguay, that's not the point of comparison here )

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I think you're seeing this the wrong way... In this case, it's not the media that influences the public but rather the opposite.
Not in this case...If you met the lady you'd understand. She's the type of person who eats up whatever her favorite radio personalities tell her. And unfortunately, I think that's how the majority of people are.

The internet hockey community, the type of person you'll see here... They're not really like the majority. We are drawn to these boards because we are able to draw our own opinions and discuss them. The majority of people are just sheep. They're unable to form their own opinions and just cling to what the media tells them because in general, media folk have dominant personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
LOL, you won't find any evidence that is not anecdotal. Which media controls your brain?
Here's where you and I differ. No media controls my brain. I don't need that pacifier.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I wonder how much media pressure would subside if Quebec were to have another team again?

I don't blame the fans, i blame the media. The fans don't demand certain gossip or news, they just want to hear some news. The media FEEDS the fans whatever news they so desire.

I think that MTL will not do much in terms of curbing media, unless they're tangibly hurt by it. It would take quite a few players both on the team and around the NHL stating that they would prefer NOT to play in Montreal soley based on the media tactics and unnecessary pressure they put on the team.

THE PLAYERS HAVE TO PUT A STOP TO IT AND THEY CAN!!

Media's been all over Vinny. How much of a blow would it be if he were to have a press conference stating that he'd love to play in MTL but the only reason he won't is because of the media, and only that. Naturally the media would deflect and twist around the statement for some damage control but that would be pretty damning.

that would be epic and just what the doctor ordered. Without having to come here, Vinnie would do a great service for the Habs. Does anyone know Jean Béliveau personally. Maybe we should ask Mr. Béliveau to ask Vinnie to this.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I wonder how much media pressure would subside if Quebec were to have another team again?

I don't blame the fans, i blame the media. The fans don't demand certain gossip or news, they just want to hear some news. The media FEEDS the fans whatever news they so desire.
Exactly. The fans will generally believe whatever the media says because media, by nature, carries a certain assumed credibility. And if the media is always on about the same 3-4 topics, then the opinions of the majority will change.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
maci4life

why is it in everyone's head that the media is the reason why there are so many hab's fans?

a lot of us on the board aren't in Quebec so we don't get the same exposure yet here we are. we will still buy the jerseys, try to go to a game if we can and still follow the team in it's quest for Stanley.

BTW the NHL can do a lot about it, with no recourse or punishment to MTL.

In the grand scheme of things does everyone here think that montreal is the only team that has fans living and breathing their team?

I don't think so. I'd say every single NFL team maybe even including the Bills has much more passionate fans than the HABS. those teams probably have twice the exposure that the habs have, yet the NFL probably has guidelines in place that put restrictions on the media covering the teams, thuse making the media accountable. The NHL is afraid to lose anymore precious fans, and thus have relaxed rules regarding the media, and are sacrificing their most storied franchise in the process.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
What do you mean?

Old
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Well, you can just take Tanguay as example. (Please don't argue that Vinny >> Tanguay, that's not the point of comparison here )
yeah but he's already kind of with the habs. they need a media poster boy to stand up to the media.

VInny has brought up much more media attention than tanguay this year. it would be a bigger blow.

Old
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
maci4life

Quote:
What do you mean?

splitting the media coverage between both teams means less concentration on only the one team. it would also mean journalists who were nordique die hards would probably jump the habs ship and go report on the new team instead ( less negative stories ).

Old
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
why is it in everyone's head that the media is the reason why there are so many hab's fans?

a lot of us on the board aren't in Quebec so we don't get the same exposure yet here we are. we will still buy the jerseys, try to go to a game if we can and still follow the team in it's quest for Stanley.

BTW the NHL can do a lot about it, with no recourse or punishment to MTL.

In the grand scheme of things does everyone here think that montreal is the only team that has fans living and breathing their team?

I don't think so. I'd say every single NFL team maybe even including the Bills has much more passionate fans than the HABS. those teams probably have twice the exposure that the habs have, yet the NFL probably has guidelines in place that put restrictions on the media covering the teams, thuse making the media accountable. The NHL is afraid to lose anymore precious fans, and thus have relaxed rules regarding the media, and are sacrificing their most storied franchise in the process.
I don't think Bettman and some of the owners and stockholders of the NHL care much for the league's most storied franchise. Bettman was probably pretty happy of how the Habs season turned out.

Old
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
maci4life

For everyone doubting media biasness ( which almost none of us are ), just use any major story as an example.

one news report may say hundreds of victims slaughtered to death by said terrorist group,

while another more sympathetic media station may say 315 bystanders were unfortunate enough to get caught up in the domestic dispute of said group vs the opposing government.

Both told the same story but the first one is much more dramatic and shocking. The media has a huge say on what is ethically satisfactory or not, but money talks and they will continue to shock the public so they can sell more papers. Until they're hit in the pocket books through penalties and restrictions to their sources of news due to bad reporting, they will never learn their lesson. As long as they can get away with it.

Old
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't think Bettman and some of the owners and stockholders of the NHL care much for the league's most storied franchise. Bettman was probably pretty happy of how the Habs season turned out.
yeah, probably. To him, they're a team that can take care of themselves so leave the habs to be, and he'll concentrate on his poster child franchise the rangers, and getting new franchises to las vegas etc.

Old
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
icerocket

maci4life just wanted to say that fedor ****ing owns.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Here's where you and I differ. No media controls my brain. I don't need that pacifier.
So after arguing that the media dictate what people think, you're now saying they don't. Or maybe everyone except you. Not you, of course not. Only the others. What a crock.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
So after arguing that the media dictate what people think, you're now saying they don't. Or maybe everyone except you. Not you, of course not. Only the others. What a crock.
You know exactly what he meant. Stop playing dumb and using weak rhetorics. A lot of people will get influenced by the media. If he's saying this, it is quite probable he doesn't agree with the media, hence, doesn't get his opinion from there. But a lot do.

Old
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
A damn shame he never agreed to coming here.
His list of opponents hasn't been impressive since Hunt.

Even then, his last true competition was CroCop.

Hunt was good, but everybody knew he had no chance. Likewise for Lindland.
Outside these two, you have Choi, Sylvia, Arlovski, Coleman, Martins.

That's all the guys he fought since Mirko..
Not very impressive. I would have liked to see him face Couture during his prime. Right now, if Lesnar can goes through Mir easily, I wish for a Fedor vs Brock fight, although I highly doubt this will happen.

Anyways..I got carried away...way off subject

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
icerocket

Sports journalism has always been really low in terms of societal contribution in my opinion. But the way the media has acted this season is more like the tabloids that follow celebrities than a respected newspaper.

How can anyone take these clowns seriously again? If anything they are hurting their profession by acting like animals.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Heard that on CKAC this morning..

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...8-1534131.html

At least, some of them admit it..
Montreal media = ONE guy ?????

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
splitting the media coverage between both teams means less concentration on only the one team. it would also mean journalists who were nordique die hards would probably jump the habs ship and go report on the new team instead ( less negative stories ).
LOL. Nordiques' drafts:

First round draft picks

* 1979: Michel Goulet (20th overall)
* 1980: none
* 1981: Randy Moller (11th overall)
* 1982: David Shaw (13th overall)
* 1983: none
* 1984: Trevor Stienburg (15th overall)
* 1985: David Latta (15th overall)
* 1986: Ken McRae (18th overall)
* 1987: Bryan Fogarty (ninth overall) and Joe Sakic (15th overall)
* 1988: Curtis Leschyshyn (third overall) and Daniel Dore (fifth overall)
* 1989: Mats Sundin (first overall)
* 1990: Owen Nolan (first overall)
* 1991: Eric Lindros (first overall)
* 1992: Todd Warriner (fourth overall)
* 1993: Jocelyn Thibault (10th overall) and Adam Deadmarsh (14th overall)
* 1994: Wade Belak (12th overall) and Jeff Kealty (22nd overall)

Mais ou sont les Quebecois!!

Old
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You know exactly what he meant. Stop playing dumb and using weak rhetorics. A lot of people will get influenced by the media. If he's saying this, it is quite probable he doesn't agree with the media, hence, doesn't get his opinion from there. But a lot do.
Darn right, I know what he, and you, meant. People will be influenced by the media, but not me, that's what you're saying. Now you say "a lot of people" will be influenced by the media. If I say "some people", is that correct? If I say "a few galoots" will be influenced, is that correct?

Old
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know waffledave, but I've been around here long enough to have read his posts and know he's not an average habs fans. Neither are you for that matter.

But the average habs fans to me, are the one that I can hear on the radio open calls. Those are the average fans that will believe every word put forth by the Media.
Okay, maybe not all of them because nothing is 100%, but most of them.

Or the ones that only check rds and l'antichambre or 110%.

Old
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Sports journalism has always been really low in terms of societal contribution in my opinion. But the way the media has acted this season is more like the tabloids that follow celebrities than a respected newspaper.

How can anyone take these clowns seriously again? If anything they are hurting their profession by acting like animals.
Imagine, even in the 1800's journalism was seen has bought out. How worst as it become with time, with more capital given to them by those who want to control information, even worst, they became their bosses. The following quote has been contested many times, yet this guy (http://www.rense.com/general20/yes.htm) went to the bottom of it as the argument was on when Swinton made the quote and if it was the true quote from him. Anyway, this supposed to be the true quote, from an ex editorial chief of the NY Times in the mid 1800s.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honour at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.

"There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty_four hours my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

"We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

(Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

self interest, money. That's what journalism is all about today.

Old
04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To be honest, I don't know waffledave, but I've been around here long enough to have read his posts and know he's not an average habs fans. Neither are you for that matter.

But the average habs fans to me, are the one that I can hear on the radio open calls. Those are the average fans that will believe every word put forth by the Media.
Okay, maybe not all of them because nothing is 100%, but most of them.

Or the ones that only check rds and l'antichambre or 110%.
For me, the "average fan" is not the one who calls radio call-ins. Because if so, that's an awful small sample size. What is it, 1%, 2%, 10% of fans call in? Now we're getting somewhere. From "The media dictate what people think" to "the media might dictate what 10 % of the fans think". Let's keep on going like this, pretty soon, we'll be at 1%. My "few galoots".

Old
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Darn right, I know what he, and you, meant. People will be influenced by the media, but not me, that's what you're saying. Now you say "a lot of people" will be influenced by the media. If I say "some people", is that correct? If I say "a few galoots" will be influenced, is that correct?
Have fun arguing semantics by yourself. You're still playing dumb.

Read KrissE's quote, that should suffice.

Old
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
For me, the "average fan" is not the one who calls radio call-ins. Because if so, that's an awful small sample size. What is it, 1%, 2%, 10% of fans call in? Now we're getting somewhere. From "The media dictate what people think" to "the media might dictate what 10 % of the fans think". Let's keep on going like this, pretty soon, we'll be at 1%. My "few galoots".
I obviously meant that the people that call in reflect what I feel is the average Habs fan.
They listen to the ''experts'' that aren't worth 2cents on tv or radio, and follow their train of thought.
They'll believe whatever they hear because they won't truly look into it. They trust the media to bring them the correct info, so whenever they hear something they believe it.

Old
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
maci4life

Quote:

mental note to add ICEROCKET to friends list