HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Everything you need (and more than you'd want) to know about sticks

Old
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It's more then that. You're way beyond the size range for intermediate sticks. Those are generally for guys who are 5'2 - 5'8 or so. You're pretty much an average adult, standard for a guy like you would be a regular 85 flex senior stick. If you need a lighter flex get a 75.
alright, just checking to make sure it wasn't close in height. I use a senior with an 85 flex right now.

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
TBLfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
So are intermediate shafts thinner than senior? And by how much?

BTW a great guide *http://www.epinions.com/content_3839271044*
Yes, they are slightly smaller dimensions. I already mentioned this. They are between Senior and Junior in shaft dimensions, length and flex. They are typically 57" sticks.

If that is a "puckmugger" review, he's worse than the original post-er. He writes full skate, helmet and stick reviews without using the product and in some cases without seeing products. He reviewed the Hefter helmet, that was never manufactured... gave it a great review too. He also writes extensive reviews on sticks he's used for 2-3 shifts or skates that he has tried on but never skated on... and even some that he hasn't tried on!

Quote:
It's more then that. You're way beyond the size range for intermediate sticks. Those are generally for guys who are 5'2 - 5'8 or so. You're pretty much an average adult, standard for a guy like you would be a regular 85 flex senior stick. If you need a lighter flex get a 75.
Again, Phil Kessel... He's 6'0, 195. I know a guy that is 6'1 and uses about a 54" stick. Don't rule this out just because of his size/age.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Again, Phil Kessel... He's 6'0, 195. I know a guy that is 6'1 and uses about a 54" stick. Don't rule this out just because of his size/age.
in the captains defense the other poster said he cuts his senior stick cut down an inch so an intermediate probably wouldnt fit him height-weis unless he adds a buttend

i have a question

in a chart on hockey monkey it tells you if you cut down say an 87 flex 2 inches it becomes a 96. if you add 2 inches, is it fair to say it then becomes a 78 flex or does it not work taht way

i have a warrior ak27 100 flex that i probably added 6 inches to, i was wondering what the flex is

just checked it, its a 6 half inch butt end in a 100 flex

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 04-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
TBLfan

Well, you can still add a plug to an intermediate... I agree that it's NOT going to work for most people but I'm just saying not to rule it out. That is a careful distinction you want to make when offering advice.

The problem with cutting and adding on to sticks, wood plugs have a different flex rating than the composite will. Also with varying kickpoints/flex zones, it's tough to gauge how much cutting will effect flex. Remember, the flex changes because of leverage, not because it adjusts the physical properties of the stick... BUT, about 5 flex per inch is a rather good rough estimation. Just don't count on it being exact. A TPS R10 that has a soft flex zone at the top is going to stiffen more than a NBH one95 that has a stiff flex zone at the top.

Old
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
GuitarAwesome

Wow dude, I dont know where you work, but I feel bad for the people that took your advice, cause it sounds like youve never used a hockey stick before.
Not gonna point out what was wrong, everyone else touched on it, but wow. Fail.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

All i know is that at 5'10" 185 i tried an 85 flex and i had issues with fluttering on a slapper, and noticed that in the faceoff circle the stick flexed too much. I since went to a 95 and that is actually a pretty good flex for me. I did just break down and bought a cheaper composite at a 107 flex to test one out. I cant see myself spending 200 bones to find out the stick is not what i want.

That said, I have been playing for over 20 years and all i can say is that you can adapt to most sticks. I Never had a ton of money growing up so i couldnt be picky. You gave me a stick, i got used to it.
There is not a science to it, there never has been and never will be. It is all personal preference.

The stick does not make the player, the player makes the player.

JRZ DVLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
TBLfan

It's easier for some to adjust than it is for others. I can pretty much play with any stick but I have my preferences. My preferred pattern is a Kovalchuk pro but I have sticks in nearly flat patterns(smaller than the forsberg/PM9 pattern), Drury, Iginla and Sakic-like patterns. It doesn't take me more than a couple minutes to adjust to... Non-rockered patterns are much harder for me to adjust for, rather than the actual curve.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

could anyone explain how this stick has three flex ratings? here it leaves me confused

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
could anyone explain how this stick has three flex ratings? here it leaves me confused
most people and most companies go by eastons ratings, or very similar, except for a few companies who like to piss people off

the lower the number, the more the flex.

i.e. an 85 flex will flex easier than a 110 flex, which will be stiffer

85, 100, and 110 are the most common available retail senior size flexes

i could be wrong bu i think 75 is the lowest available senior flex

intermediate, and junior sticks, have lower flexes so it is easier to flex the stick

edit: didnt notice you posted a link

i think that particular stick is meant to be whippier

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 04-29-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
Three flex zones on the shaft to modify the kickpoint. The lower 1/3 is stiffer(lets say 100 flex), the middle 1/3 is less stiff than that(lets say 90 flex), the top 1/3 is even less stiff than the middle(lets say 80 flex).

There are two different lines of sticks in last years TPS one-piece stick line.
R2, R6 and R10. These have the tri-flex zones.
R1, R4 and R8. These are a traditional or lower kickpoint sticks.

Old
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
ModSquad

Just for those asking about lies - a lie 5 is 45 degrees - half a lie is 2.5 degrees in either direction. So, a Lie 4 is 40 degrees and a Lie 6 is 55.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSquad View Post
Just for those asking about lies - a lie 5 is 45 degrees - half a lie is 2.5 degrees in either direction. So, a Lie 4 is 40 degrees and a Lie 6 is 55.
by that math shouldnt a 6 lie be 50 degrees?

Old
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
ModSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
by that math shouldnt a 6 lie be 50 degrees?
4 = 40
4.5 = 42.5
5 = 45
5.5 = 47.5
6 = 50

Sorry, it was a long day.

Old
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
4 = 40
4.5 = 42.5
5 = 45
5.5 = 47.5
6 = 50

hey i had to use a calculator

Old
04-29-2009, 10:37 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Yes, they are slightly smaller dimensions. I already mentioned this. They are between Senior and Junior in shaft dimensions, length and flex. They are typically 57" sticks.

If that is a "puckmugger" review, he's worse than the original post-er. He writes full skate, helmet and stick reviews without using the product and in some cases without seeing products. He reviewed the Hefter helmet, that was never manufactured... gave it a great review too. He also writes extensive reviews on sticks he's used for 2-3 shifts or skates that he has tried on but never skated on... and even some that he hasn't tried on!

if Kessel is 6 foot even and 195 lbs, I'm Shaquille O'Neal. Kessel is realistically, what, 5'9 and 170?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
4 = 40
4.5 = 42.5
5 = 45
5.5 = 47.5
6 = 50

1 lie is not 5 degrees, sorry. It's like 2 or 2.5, you might want to check this page, http://www.prohockeystuff.com/hockey...specifics.aspx

Old
04-29-2009, 11:06 PM
ModSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
1 lie is not 5 degrees, sorry. It's like 2 or 2.5, you might want to check this page, http://www.prohockeystuff.com/hockey...specifics.aspx
Ugh...got me again...sorry, it truly has been a long day. You'd figure the admin of ModSquadHockey would be on top of his game :-(

That site is somewhat correct...one lie is 2.5 degrees.

That's what 18 hr days does to you...I function better at night.

Old
04-30-2009, 12:23 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
if Kessel is 6 foot even and 195 lbs, I'm Shaquille O'Neal. Kessel is realistically, what, 5'9 and 170?
That's what he's listed at... I've never stood next to him and I refuse to watch Boston games.

...But regardless the comment previous still holds true.

Old
04-30-2009, 12:51 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Ugh...got me again...sorry, it truly has been a long day. You'd figure the admin of ModSquadHockey would be on top of his game :-(

That site is somewhat correct...one lie is 2.5 degrees.

That's what 18 hr days does to you...I function better at night.
Is ok, I thought the site was wrong too, my memory told me 2.5 as well.

Old
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
jasonponty

I'm 5'8" and about 145ish, now after reading this thread, after years of using wood sticks, I'm in the market for an intermediate sized stick.

Thanks for the info and debate from everyone.

My one question and it may have been answered is that other than the length of the shaft, are there any other dimensional differences between an intermediate stick and an adult stick?

Last edited by jasonponty: 04-30-2009 at 01:35 PM.
jasonponty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
TBLfan

YES, intermediates have a smaller dimension. It's between jr and senior, closer to senior.

I think I'm going to put this in my signature.

Old
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonponty View Post
I'm 5'8" and about 145ish, now after reading this thread, after years of using wood sticks, I'm in the market for an intermediate sized stick.

Thanks for the info and debate from everyone.

My one question and it may have been answered is that other than the length of the shaft, are there any other dimensional differences between an intermediate stick and an adult stick?
They make intermediate wood sticks too.

Quote:
YES, intermediates have a smaller dimension. It's between jr and senior, closer to senior.

I think I'm going to put this in my signature.
Yeah, it's not a huge difference. I just measured my two sticks (both Sherwood woodies) and the senior is 9.5 cm in diameter while the intermediate is 8.8 cm. To be honest I don't really notice a difference, but other people may.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
spjon25

Okay quick question here. I really like the Warrior Smyth Curve which has a lie of 4 (according to them). Is that a true lie of 4, or what is it like really? That blade sits flat on the ice for me, and the toe does not ride up very much

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

I just picked up a whip flex stick because I wanted to try it out (really just curious). But I got a Frolov blade because there wasn't anything else available on the clearance. The Frolov face is wide open. I was used to using a Sakic (easton) or a Modano P34 (rbk) which are my other sticks. The Sakic is more open but not quite to the Frolov level and the Modano is listed as closed. I used an Easton Yzerman forever but when that went away I have kind of been switching around.

My question is what exactly does the ridiculously open face do? I have a good wrist shot with any of my sticks and have a fine slap shot with all of them but a better snap. My backhand is also fine with them. Just curious about how open that blade is

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I just picked up a whip flex stick because I wanted to try it out (really just curious). But I got a Frolov blade because there wasn't anything else available on the clearance. The Frolov face is wide open. I was used to using a Sakic (easton) or a Modano P34 (rbk) which are my other sticks. The Sakic is more open but not quite to the Frolov level and the Modano is listed as closed. I used an Easton Yzerman forever but when that went away I have kind of been switching around.

My question is what exactly does the ridiculously open face do? I have a good wrist shot with any of my sticks and have a fine slap shot with all of them but a better snap. My backhand is also fine with them. Just curious about how open that blade is
It makes it easier to saucer passes, and go top shelf and way over the net by accident. The trick is to turn your wrists over more to keep the follow through down and you won't shoot too high.