HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards Nominated for Selke Trophy

Old
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Mike Richards Nominated for Selke Trophy

Richards, Pavel Datsyuk and Ryan Kesler are the Selke nominees:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Quote:
Datsyuk is a finalist for the Selke Award, along with Philadelphia Flyers center Mike Richards and Vancouver Canucks center/right winger Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks. All three have excellent credentials and define the concept "hard to play against."

Richards quickly became the leader on the Flyers' roster. He was named an alternate captain last season and was promoted to captain before the 2008-09 season. He led the Flyers in assists, takeaways and faceoff percentage.

Richards came to the Flyers from the OHL Kitchener Rangers off an emotional loss in the Memorial Cup. The 24th pick in the 2003 Entry Draft was widely regarded among teams as the kind of player who could drive a team to a Stanley Cup, based on his intensity, and his balanced offensive and defensive contributions. He led his team to the Eastern Conference Final last season and the playoffs again this year. He is one of the three best players on his team and combines with Jeff Carter as the team's two best forwards.

Congrats, Mike!

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
No!! But he is teh suck with turnovers!!

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Datsyuk will probably win it

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Datsyuk will probably win it
and deserve it. I love Richards, but Datsyuk is something else.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
and deserve it. I love Richards, but Datsyuk is something else.
Yup, yup, yup. I concur. Still would be nice to see Richards win it.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Richards has a shot though. Those shorthanded goals should help.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
chaosof99*

I'm sorry, but I have no clue how they can give it to Datsyuk over Richards. Datsyuk has only 6 more takeaways than Richards and while a better face-off percentage, Richards kills him in any other defensive category. Richie almost doubles him in its (174 to 76) and has almost three times as many blocked shots (90 to 33). Plus Richards is without a doubt the most dangerous penalty killer in the league.

Hell, Malkin has outdone Datsyuk in blocked shots, takeaways and hits and isn't even considered.

If anybody but Richards wins it, I will probably lose my faith in fair judgment of skills.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No!! But he is teh suck with turnovers!!
I think that and his FO% will actually keep him from winning it this year.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
flyersfan97

I, too, think Datsyuk will win, but Richards deserved the nod. I'm glad for him. I also think what needs mentioning is all the games he played the point on the PP and we only gave up one shorty all year. He may not win it this year, but one day, he will win a Selke.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I'm sorry, but I have no clue how they can give it to Datsyuk over Richards. Datsyuk has only 6 more takeaways than Richards and while a better face-off percentage, Richards kills him in any other defensive category. Richie almost doubles him in its (174 to 76) and has almost three times as many blocked shots (90 to 33). Plus Richards is without a doubt the most dangerous penalty killer in the league.

Hell, Malkin has outdone Datsyuk in blocked shots, takeaways and hits and isn't even considered.

If anybody but Richards wins it, I will probably lose my faith in fair judgment of skills.
Playing defense is about a lot more than stats. Datsyuk plays guys so well they don't even bother trying to shoot.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Congrats on the well deserved nod

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
tytech

Getting the record for 5-3 shorthanded goals this year should help as well.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

wonder where the haters are that say he isnt that good defensively.
Dont think I need to mention names, you know who you are.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 04-28-2009 at 02:25 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Norm MacDonald

Though I think Datsyuk will win it again, it's great to see him get the nod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

Defensive play can't really be measured by stats.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
XS Chop

Only Selke winner I can remember, other than Lehtinen who was a winger, who didn't have great faceoff numbers was Madden back in '00-'01, and he was pretty bad at it. Hopefully Richards (and the rest of our centers) addresses this over the summer and next year. That said, congrats to Mike, I think it's a really big deal to have a Selke finalist on the team. Now if we can just get him in the running for the Smythe in the next couple of years all will be right with the world.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

That's my boy!

I figured he'd be nominated for the Selke at some point in his career, but this came quicker than I expected.

Good on you Richie!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Richards quickly became the leader on the Flyers' roster. He was named an alternate captain last season and was promoted to captain before the 2008-09 season. He led the Flyers in assists, takeaways and faceoff percentage.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Yeah, that's pretty laughable. But there's a bunch of other stats in his favour.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
chaosof99*

I am fully aware that there are aspects of the game, especially defensively, which are not tracked in stats. However, to make a fair comparison we have to give objective data the priority over subjective impression.

I am sorry, but almost three times as many blocked shots should definitely be a strong factor when making such a decision.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Miss Mess

Go Mike!!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
sharkeyanti

I wouldn't mind Datsyuk or Richards getting it. Datsyuk's "smart plays" are usually a lot better performed and his teammates seem to read what he's doing, whereas Mike just sort of does it and the team reacts. One thing to take into consideration is how any PKs Richards played. Detroit was in the bottom 5 of penalties (number 1?), and Datsyuk played far fewer PKs. I think I might give the nod to Datsyuk this year though, his play was just so consistently excellent.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
MountainHawk

Sorry, but this is just a joke. Richards turns the puck over more than any other forward on our top 3 lines. This is just the voters voting on the SHG stat, and nothing else.

If Richards could play defense the way Datsyuk can, the Flyers would be in the second round and Mike would not have been a -4 in the playoff series.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Hottttt.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeyanti View Post
I wouldn't mind Datsyuk or Richards getting it. Datsyuk's "smart plays" are usually a lot better performed and his teammates seem to read what he's doing, whereas Mike just sort of does it and the team reacts. One thing to take into consideration is how any PKs Richards played. Detroit was in the bottom 5 of penalties (number 1?), and Datsyuk played far fewer PKs. I think I might give the nod to Datsyuk this year though, his play was just so consistently excellent.
Datsyuk: 129:56 PK mins, 1:36 per game.

Richards: 252:48 PK mins, 3:12 per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Sorry, but this is just a joke. Richards turns the puck over more than any other forward on our top 3 lines. This is just the voters voting on the SHG stat, and nothing else.

If Richards could play defense the way Datsyuk can, the Flyers would be in the second round and Mike would not have been a -4 in the playoff series.
I'm now convinced you and JXC are the same person.

Giveaways are now a defensive stat? Datsyuk was the top forward and 2nd highest player in the giveaway category on his team. Isn't that interesting. Could it be that players who handle the puck a lot might also give it away a lot?

If Richards was so much worse playing defense, wouldn't there be a huge discrepancy in their takeaways, and not just a difference of 6? Also, would Datsyuk not have more than 33 blocked shots to Richards' 90?

The only joke is people who think this nomination is a joke.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Datsyuk: 129:56 PK mins, 1:36 per game.

Richards: 252:48 PK mins, 3:12 per game.

I'm now convinced you and JXC are the same person.

Giveaways are now a defensive stat? Datsyuk was the top forward and 2nd highest player in the giveaway category on his team. Isn't that interesting. Could it be that players who handle the puck a lot might also give it away a lot?

If Richards was so much worse playing defense, wouldn't there be a huge discrepancy in their takeaways, and not just a difference of 6? Also, would Datsyuk not have more than 33 blocked shots to Richards' 90?

The only joke is people who think this nomination is a joke.
And I'm convinced you are a girl hot for Richards, if you can't recognize his game regressed quite a bit this season. Last year, he should have been a Selke candidate.

Giveaways is a useless stat ... I wasn't even looking at it. It more subjective than 'hits'. Watch the games, and tell me that Richards didn't turn the puck over a ton this year. Watch Detroit games, and tell me that he's not one of the major reasons why #1 lines seem to have off games against the Red Wings.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote