HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Swine Flu in Montreal??

Old
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Yes but you area bit of a doomsday sayer as doctors and the WHO have gone on record that it is very treatable when caught early with existing anti-viral and proper rest.
WHO says pandemic alert phase 4

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian.../en/index.html

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Should we be worried yet?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
Still according to CNN, the mortality rate is 6-10% which is still very low compared to something like the Ebola Virus also, it seems that the mexico strain is killing people yet the cases in the United States have not led to any mortalities yet.
It could indicate that the virus losses strength as it is transmitted, which is a good thing. I do not want to see another Spanish Flu or Bubonic Plague outbreak in my lifetime.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
It could indicate that the virus losses strength as it is transmitted, which is a good thing. I do not want to see another Spanish Flu or Bubonic Plague outbreak in my lifetime.
How old are you??

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
How old are you??
LOL!! I thought the same thing.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
It could indicate that the virus losses strength as it is transmitted, which is a good thing. [B]I do not want to see another Spanish Flu or Bubonic Plague outbreak [B]in my lifetime.
Damn you are old!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
How old are you??

haha that's the first thing I thought...wasn't the spanish flu epidemic in 1911?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Booky

Actually it was during WW1, but still damn!!!!!!!!

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
WHO says pandemic alert phase 4

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian.../en/index.html

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.
Does not contradict what I said....it can still be treated.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Whats funny is people taking this lightly

yeah ok, this might not turn out to be anything greatly dangerous and maybe successfull vaccines for it will work

but there SHOULD be cause for a little concern.. who knows what could happen with this, a NEW strain of viruses, and the bird flu talk was bad a couple years back, and THAT wasnt even that transmissable from human to human, THIS swine flu seems to be way more agressive and easily transmissable

They say the flu strain consists of a bunch of differen pig, bird and human virsuses (these virsus go through all 3 species all day everyday, and weve been pretty much immune or found a vaccine for them), and that its NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE

yeah ok swine flu, no big deal, but one day, somethings gonna pop up like this new virus flu strain did, and maybe we wont be so lucky

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
How old are you??
Oops, I needed to be more clear on that one. . I have been studying history for way to long in my university career. What I meant to to say is that I do not want to see the pandemics that I have studied in my history classes occur in my lifetime.

Old
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
not cause to worry yet, but..lets not sweep this under the rug just yet..

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

It mutated and it's an airborne virus so it will spread fast. If you have any kind of symptoms, even just cold symptoms go to the hospital or to the clinic and they will give you anti-viral and might keep you for rest. Also, wash your hands with soap and hot water every 30min, don't touch your face with your hands if you haven't washed them and couch on a tissue and not on your hand.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Whats funny is people taking this lightly

yeah ok, this might not turn out to be anything greatly dangerous and maybe successfull vaccines for it will work

but there SHOULD be cause for a little concern.. who knows what could happen with this, a NEW strain of viruses, and the bird flu talk was bad a couple years back, and THAT wasnt even that transmissable from human to human, THIS swine flu seems to be way more agressive and easily transmissable

They say the flu strain consists of a bunch of differen pig, bird and human virsuses (these virsus go through all 3 species all day everyday, and weve been pretty much immune or found a vaccine for them), and that its NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE

yeah ok swine flu, no big deal, but one day, somethings gonna pop up like this new virus flu strain did, and maybe we wont be so lucky
It's not a matter of taking it lightly but rather not living in fear all the time. Just have to be smart and as mentioned wash your hands regularly, don't hangout with someone that has the symptoms etc

From the WHO site

Quote:
28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Canada (6), New Zealand (3), the United Kingdom (2), Israel (2) and Spain (2).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Oops, I needed to be more clear on that one. . I have been studying history for way to long in my university career. What I meant to to say is that I do not want to see the pandemics that I have studied in my history classes occur in my lifetime.
Ah makes sense...I was about to ask you if perchance you were alive when Asterix captained the Montreal Maroons to their 2nd cup win.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Artyukhin*

http://www.canada.com/Health/echo+19...522/story.html

Flu may be echo of 1918 pandemic

By Sharon Kirkey, Canwest News ServiceApril 27, 2009

Ominous similarities exist between the swine flu and the 1918 pandemic virus that killed millions around the globe, from a shared "death profile" of 20-to-40-year-olds to an ability to spread rapidly among humans, experts say.

Some warn the swine flu outbreak has all the hallmarks of a pandemic. Others say it may be no worse than normal flu.

"The bottom line is, we really don't know," says Dr. Brian Ward, an expert on viruses, vaccines and pandemics at McGill University in Montreal.

Old
04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Ah makes sense...I was about to ask you if perchance you were alive when Asterix captained the Montreal Maroons to their 2nd cup win.
Well, I could have been alive during those times if I was a believer of Buddhism and its concept of reincarnation. Or, if I calculated my age the ways in which it was done in the Bible where some people are identified as being 800 years old .

Old
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
It mutated and it's an airborne virus so it will spread fast. If you have any kind of symptoms, even just cold symptoms go to the hospital or to the clinic and they will give you anti-viral and might keep you for rest. Also, wash your hands with soap and hot water every 30min, don't touch your face with your hands if you haven't washed them and couch on a tissue and not on your hand.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Well... I live in Laval, so HA!
Goes to show you, not even a virus wants to live in Laval

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
grill vogel

im sure kovalev will come through in the clutch and eradicate the virus. he always pulls through when it counts

grill vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill vogel View Post
im sure kovalev will come through in the clutch and eradicate the virus. he always pulls through when it counts
he could ask for 2 days off

Old
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
grill vogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
he could ask for 2 days off
oh snap!

grill vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Slick Nick

I'm suffering a terrible flu since saturday.. the day before I carded (work at SAQ) a guy who couldn't speak french or english, he showed me a student card from U of Mexico.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

The Sars and Bird flu says hello

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I will tell you guys my opinion as a Med student. This is not to take lightly, it is a mutated virus that was only infecting pigs that has now mutated to humans and then mutated to be transmitted human to human. It is airborne, so it will spread fast so be very careful to that you do during the day. From what I know from the virus, it attacks like the H1N1 Spanish virus did, it attacks the immune system in what is called a cytokine storm, the immune system will go against you and produce too many cells that could fill up part of your organs and could lead to death. Meaning it will cause for harm to the young healthy adults (18-30). I believe it will affect a lot of Canadians but I don't believe the death toll will be high. If you have any signs of symptoms, go to the clinic or see a doctor so he can give you the best anti-virals.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote