HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu's thought about future in Finnish media

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
  #26
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
...
koivu and komi - not sure about coming back.

kovalev - wants to come back
lang - wants to come back
tanguay - wants to come back
schneider - will if he signs 2 year deal.
I'm not sure how Koivu's comments could possibly be interpreted as being any different than Kovalev's? They said the same thing, no? They want to come back, but the team has to want them.

Anyway, I think Koivu is just one of those guys who covers the bases when he answers a question. Obviously Gainey and Gillett will want him back, they're big fans. He'll get an offer. And if for some impossible reason he doesn't, then he's one of the best UFA centres on the market, and will probably get an offer with a big raise on his current salary after July 1st. He can't really lose. Either he's back in the place he wants to be before July 1st, or he's going to get a sweet contract to compensate after July 1st. The Habs and Habs fans are the only ones who can lose here. We're already weak at center and losing Koivu would be devastating.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
  #27
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
One thing that we are sure that will happen about Koivu's future is whatever he decides to do, the french media will bash him.

He signs here and beats Beliveau Habs captaincy record, the french media will not forgive him and bring back the french language issue.

He signs elsewhere and he's not a real Hab and plays for money only (that's what Ron Fournier said when Carbo was fired, Koivu plays for his stats and dont care about the team).

Speaking of Ron, he said yesterday that he will tell us who were the cancers in the locker room today or tomorrow on CKAC at 4pm. Yes he knows everything. Expect him to blame Koivu for the pork flu.
Koivu is responsible for the pork flu? I KNEW IT

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
  #28
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm not sure how Koivu's comments could possibly be interpreted as being any different than Kovalev's? They said the same thing, no? They want to come back, but the team has to want them.

Anyway, I think Koivu is just one of those guys who covers the bases when he answers a question. Obviously Gainey and Gillett will want him back, they're big fans. He'll get an offer. And if for some impossible reason he doesn't, then he's one of the best UFA centres on the market, and will probably get an offer with a big raise on his current salary after July 1st. He can't really lose. Either he's back in the place he wants to be before July 1st, or he's going to get a sweet contract to compensate after July 1st. The Habs and Habs fans are the only ones who can lose here. We're already weak at center and losing Koivu would be devastating.
Do you really think Koivu could get 4-5 million $ + on the market?? I'm a Koivu fan, but with lowering cap I don't see many teams committing to that kind of money for Koivu.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
  #29
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Komisarek isn't worth more than 3.75-4M until he develops the offensive side of his game. He's no more than a slightly bigger Volchenkov.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:37 PM
  #30
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Let him go. After this season, the fans and the media in this city don't deserve someone like Saku Koivu. I give it 3 months before the haters are crying for him again.
Touché.


Most Habs fans don't deserve Koivu. I can't believe the BS I hear from people I know. They keep repeating every unfounded reports and collumnist "opinion" they hear from our joke of a media, like a bunch of sheeps, unable to make opinions of their own, as long as their unfounded hate is officialized by one of the clowns with a mic or a pen.

The media will kill this team. It seems to be the agenda, until they get what they want. What does that tell us? That the media sees itself above the club and above the fans. The mentality they have is sickening. Calgary got eliminated last night, and first time I tune into a sports channel, I see Gastro Therrien saying "à la défense de Calgary, il manquaient deux joueurs importants" They had two players injured, yet he's talking of Dion Phaneuf primarly, and Dion played a few games in the series. Yet, when the Habs got eliminated, I had to go through many many shows before I even heard one person saying that its hard for the Habs since they were missing Markov, and they also missed Lang, Tanguay for two games, and Schneider for three games. And that was Bruno Gervais, who is not a pundit but a player on vacation. I didn't hear one pundit mention it.

They always try to protect their peers too, even when the logic is against what they are saying. EG: Réjaune Tremblay. EG: Gastro Therrien, again, when Bob jeered the reporter who talked about his wife wondering why Bob insisted on putting Price. Therrien was saying how Bob lacked respect for the journalist, when actually, its the journalist who totally lacked respect in the first place. As if you're gonna tell a NHL GM that your wife might know better than you. And it wasn't the first time. A lot of people in the media have often shown a lack of respect for Bob (Villeneuve on LaZone is one that comes to mind). So Therrien instead of protecting his clique, his profession, should've just shut his pie hole. The media is a pandemic in Montreal, and in the long run, they are slowly destroying any shred of decency that was left in their profession. They are THE MAIN reason why UFAs won't come here. No wonder, for a guy like Koivu to stay here, he must be very attached to this city, because it surely ain't the media who is helping the Habs cause.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
  #31
vaya
Registered User
 
vaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
koivu will either sign before july 1st or go elsewhere. if the habs give him a fair offer he'll stay, provided the team is heading in the same direction. remember that koivu's been part of a rebuilding team for nearly 10 years and wanted to play for a contender. last year was a step in the right direction, but this season could change some things. if gainey says there's a youth movement coming up next year, koivu will probably leave. but if gainey says they're shooting for the cup, trading and signing "impact" players, he may stick around.

vaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
  #32
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Touché.


Most Habs fans don't deserve Koivu. I can't believe the BS I hear from people I know. They keep repeating every unfounded reports and collumnist "opinion" they hear from our joke of a media, like a bunch of sheeps, unable to make opinions of their own, as long as their unfounded hate is officialized by one of the clowns with a mic or a pen.

The media will kill this team. It seems to be the agenda, until they get what they want. What does that tell us? That the media sees itself above the club and above the fans. The mentality they have is sickening. Calgary got eliminated last night, and first time I tune into a sports channel, I see Gastro Therrien saying "à la défense de Calgary, il manquaient deux joueurs importants" They had two players injured, yet he's talking of Dion Phaneuf primarly, and Dion played a few games in the series. Yet, when the Habs got eliminated, I had to go through many many shows before I even heard one person saying that its hard for the Habs since they were missing Markov, and they also missed Lang, Tanguay for two games, and Schneider for three games. And that was Bruno Gervais, who is not a pundit but a player on vacation. I didn't hear one pundit mention it.

They always try to protect their peers too, even when the logic is against what they are saying. EG: Réjaune Tremblay. EG: Gastro Therrien, again, when Bob jeered the reporter who talked about his wife wondering why Bob insisted on putting Price. Therrien was saying how Bob lacked respect for the journalist, when actually, its the journalist who totally lacked respect in the first place. As if you're gonna tell a NHL GM that your wife might know better than you. And it wasn't the first time. A lot of people in the media have often shown a lack of respect for Bob (Villeneuve on LaZone is one that comes to mind). So Therrien instead of protecting his clique, his profession, should've just shut his pie hole. The media is a pandemic in Montreal, and in the long run, they are slowly destroying any shred of decency that was left in their profession. They are THE MAIN reason why UFAs won't come here. No wonder, for a guy like Koivu to stay here, he must be very attached to this city, because it surely ain't the media who is helping the Habs cause.
Well said.

Just today, at lunch, some of my coworkers and I were talking hockey and mentioned some of the UFAs maybe leaving. One woman pipes in with a "Je veux garder ceux qui parlent francais seulement"...Yeah ok...And the media has no influence on the public? Please!

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
  #33
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
I like a 4 year deal for Koivu about 10-12 million. You can front load it to 4.25, 4.25, 1.5, 1 or something to that effect. Cap hit would be 3 or under. Give options for bonus on the third and forth year if he wants to play. Or we can buy out 2 year 2.5 million cheaply enough if he doesn't have anything left in the tank after 2 years.

I think the structure on the contracts could be the key for lowering the cap a bit. If we can get tangauy signed for 4 million/ for 6 years and kovy for something like saku and have that line cost around 11-13 million cap hit would be awesome. Lang coming back at 3 million for 2 years would be great so maxwell would be ready.

Actually this season may be a blessing in disguise. We can get a few vets to hang in there cheap and get the kids to develop a bit we should be fine.

Komi can walk sign beauchemin schneider whatever. Bring in the kids. Don't want to hang on too long on D to long contracts as that is where our best prospects will come up with less roster spots than forward.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
  #34
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
koivu will be back, as long as gainey is the gm though, so im not worried about that. But i think ppl are underestimating the value of komi to this team. True that hes not worth 5mill. His value is around what ginu said, volchenkov money, but its gonna hurt a lot if hes not back and more than people think. He had a bad year, thats it but hes gonna rebound, you cant bank on that, just hope its with us.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
  #35
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How so? Most fans since he's been here have always been on his side. Those fans are the same ones that gave him one of the best standing O in the history of the team. Despite all the bad reviews by the media as far as his performance and his leadership, we rarely heard the crowd boo him except after the Ribeiro incident, booing that lasted 1 game.

People recognize his hard work but also recognize that he was put in a place he should not have been put in.

Fans deserved the best team possible after 15 years of mediocre play. And if it means with Koivu, well they deserve to see him back. But Koivu will not be able to take back a 1st line duty. You can't have a 1st line centerman that can't play more than 18 minutes.
I wish the Habs had another centre skilled enough to play on the first line for more than 18 minutes. Do you know of one? Don't say Lang. He's too old.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
  #36
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't understand why he keep saying that if he didn't sign before July 1st, that his career is over here. I mean, how about we let you go and see what's out there but then counter offer and still are about to keep you?

I mean if you really want to come back, you'll still keep your options open after July 1st no? I mean even after July 1st, we might still be the team who would want him the most....
This is called negociating.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
  #37
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I wish the Habs had another centre skilled enough to play on the first line for more than 18 minutes. Do you know of one? Don't say Lang. He's too old.
Well here is some perspective for you Corey. Lang can take that role for one season, or maybe two if he can. That gives time for the cap to go down and teams be forced to trade away big contracts. Lang is a really good temporary solution. In Poker, you don't short stack yourself and bluff or you'll lose on most hands. What you do his wait for the right hand to come around and then you bluff. If Gainey can't find a permanent solution right away, he will re-sign a guy like Lang, because he won't be a long term problem on the cap, leaving us room to get that player when the other teams are gonna be shortstacked because of the cap.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
  #38
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Do you really think Koivu could get 4-5 million $ + on the market?? I'm a Koivu fan, but with lowering cap I don't see many teams committing to that kind of money for Koivu.
He could get $5M easy. If guys like Kariya, Demitra, Naslund, Rolston, and so on could sign for what they did, then Koivu gets it... and more. Maybe up to $6M per IMHO. But shhhh, don't tell Koivu or his agent that!

I think it will be a tough decision for Gainey to even risk offering him a paycut in light of that. That's why a longer-term front-loaded contract would make sense to me. Give him $5M this year, but drop it over whatever term remains.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
  #39
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He could get $5M easy. If guys like Kariya, Demitra, Naslund, Rolston, and so on could sign for what they did, then Koivu gets it... and more. Maybe up to $6M per IMHO. But shhhh, don't tell Koivu or his agent that!
With the perspective of a nice drop in the salary cap not next year but the year after? Knowing that Koivu is 1 year older? I would think that the most he could get would be a cap hit of 4.5 for 3 years. But then, I'm not too good at that....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
  #40
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
With the perspective of a nice drop in the salary cap not next year but the year after? Knowing that Koivu is 1 year older? I would think that the most he could get would be a cap hit of 4.5 for 3 years. But then, I'm not too good at that....
See, you're making the annual mistake of thinking that NHL GMs have any appreciable foresight or tendencies towards fiscal restraint. Some of them could be fired by this time next year. What do they care if the cap is coming down? Common sense does not apply on July 1st.

Wade Redden got obscene money. Heck, Michael Ryder got $4M, after abysmal seasons. There aren't lots of choices on the market at center this summer. Koivu would be a hot commodity.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
  #41
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't understand why he keep saying that if he didn't sign before July 1st, that his career is over here. I mean, how about we let you go and see what's out there but then counter offer and still are about to keep you?

I mean if you really want to come back, you'll still keep your options open after July 1st no? I mean even after July 1st, we might still be the team who would want him the most....
You could be right, but I think Koivu is looking for evidence the team really wants to keep him. Once the deadline passes I suspect it becomes, "just a business deal" instead of personal commitment

It seems pretty obvious that he wants to stay

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
  #42
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
So what does he thinks about the future will there be flying cars? Light Sabres?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
  #43
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,242
vCash: 500
I want him to return because I love the guy and have enjoyed cheering for him every season, however I also believe he should seek offers elsewhere because he deserves too much better than the treatment he has endured here. Yes many fans have supported him however we cannot forget those idiots who constantly cried about his inability to speak French or the media endless blaming him.

I recall RDS one week posting on their website he was a fantastic player and a great captain for the Habs: he had socred for five points that week. The following week, RDS cited him as one of the worst captains in Canadiens' history and that he needed to be traded: he had one point I believe.

The fickle media here is just ridiculous. If Koivu decides to remain and end his career with Montreal I will have more respect for him than thought possible because despite all the flaws, he is sticking to this team until the end, win or lose; and even if he moves on, I still will respect him for everything he has done.

Of note, Columbus has openly mentioned being in need of a strong centre for Rick Nash and I would not be surprised they would love to add Koivu. That would be a sight to see, Koivu finally has the elite scoring winger he has yet to be given in Montreal. People lobbying for him to leave because he doesn't speak French have no idea what this team will miss without him.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
  #44
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Let him go. After this season, the fans and the media in this city don't deserve someone like Saku Koivu. I give it 3 months before the haters are crying for him again.


Poor Koivu ! The guy have won 37,420,000 M$ with the Habs ,he got the support of thoulsands fans ,but you talk like if he's a poor victim because 4-5 journalists don't like him and that some fans want to change the face of the Habs .

Looking back the last decade , i agree that the fans don't deserve Koivu . They deserve someone a lot better .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
  #45
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post


Poor Koivu ! The guy have won 37,420,000 M$ with the Habs ,he got the support of thoulsands fans ,but you talk like if he's a poor victim because 4-5 journalists don't like him and that some fans want to change the face of the Habs .

Looking back the last decade , i agree that the fans don't deserve Koivu . They deserve someone a lot better .
Don't begrudge the guy his money. For years he was the only talent on this team worth watching and should have been making the entire payroll.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
  #46
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
koivu will be back, as long as gainey is the gm though, so im not worried about that. But i think ppl are underestimating the value of komi to this team. True that hes not worth 5mill. His value is around what ginu said, volchenkov money, but its gonna hurt a lot if hes not back and more than people think. He had a bad year, thats it but hes gonna rebound, you cant bank on that, just hope its with us.
I agree...
People choose to believe that Komi wants/will get 5 million, but he won't, and I'd rather watch him rebound with us than let another one of our solid D walk for nothing, 3 years in a row. Ouch.

Souvenirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:14 PM
  #47
Stan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post


Poor Koivu ! The guy have won 37,420,000 M$ with the Habs ,he got the support of thoulsands fans ,but you talk like if he's a poor victim because 4-5 journalists don't like him and that some fans want to change the face of the Habs .

Looking back the last decade , i agree that the fans don't deserve Koivu . They deserve someone a lot better .
I've never really understood the money argument that so called "fans" bring up. They're great at what they do. The entertainment they provide is valued and they're paid accordingly. Get over it or stop paying.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
  #48
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post


Poor Koivu ! The guy have won 37,420,000 M$ with the Habs ,he got the support of thoulsands fans ,but you talk like if he's a poor victim because 4-5 journalists don't like him and that some fans want to change the face of the Habs .

Looking back the last decade , i agree that the fans don't deserve Koivu . They deserve someone a lot better .
Money argument??!?
All hockey players make big money like that. If you're not happy that this is an NHL salary, well go play on a frozen pond with your friends for free. Jesus Christ. Pro athletes are paid like that.


Souvenirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
  #49
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Im Sorry, but priority #1 in my opinion has got to be signing Saku Koivu. If you want him back, show him the respect he deserves by negotiating with him first. If you don't want him back, let him know early so he can plan for his future. It's all about showing respect to these athletes, word travels around the league.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
  #50
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Im Sorry, but priority #1 in my opinion has got to be signing Saku Koivu. If you want him back, show him the respect he deserves by negotiating with him first. If you don't want him back, let him know early so he can plan for his future. It's all about showing respect to these athletes, word travels around the league.
I agree, but the problem is that ownership is still up in the air, and with that so is management, so no moves can really be made atm.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.