HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder to play in Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Petey21

vCash: 500
Ryder to play in Sweden

It seems like Michael Ryder has signed a "lockout contract" to play for Leksand (a Swedish Tier II team), according to their official site. He'll join the team in mid-October.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:25 AM
RE-HABS

Ryder to play with a team in Sweden with a deep history that is also trying to get back into the Elite league after falliing to Tier II this year.

He will be playing with a strong team with members like Islanders First Rounder Robert Nilsson (Kent's son) Johan Witehall ex-hab and goaltender Johan Hedberg (The Moose) from the Canucks.

Last time this team had a .500 record in the Elite league was with Hedberg in net, Ryder and Hedberg should help this team get back to the elite league for next season. A big ice surface and skating game should only help Ryder improve on his skating game as well.

Smart choice on Ryder and his agent to play Swedish Elite Tier II over German Elite League, Swedish Tier II should be as strong or even stronger than the German League.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Sanderson

I seriously doubt that a Swedish Tier II league is even close to the DEL.

Don't confuse the strength of a league with the strength of the national teams. Germans aren't as good as the players of top nations, but there are far more foreigners, most of them AHL-stars or even regular NHL-players, than in any other European league.

If the DEL-teams were as bad as you want to make them, then a middle of the road team, which just started training camp, wouldn't be able to beat or tie some of the best Swedish teams in the preseason.

Old
09-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson

Don't confuse the strength of a league with the strength of the national teams. Germans aren't as good as the players of top nations, but there are far more foreigners, most of them AHL-stars or even regular NHL-players, than in any other European league.

If the DEL-teams were as bad as you want to make them, then a middle of the road team, which just started training camp, wouldn't be able to beat or tie some of the best Swedish teams in the preseason.
Swedish Tier II league holds good quality, I know too little of the DEL league to say which one is best but I wouldn't be surprised if Swedish Tier II is the better one.

Old
09-19-2004, 03:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Hopefully Ryder takes it easy on Christopher Heino-Lindberg when Leksand faces Hammerby.

Old
09-19-2004, 06:58 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

I would think there would be more former AHLers and NHLers in the Swiss Elite League?

I know the German league is good, but most players are going to Switzerland, Russia or Sweden...seems to look better to them.

Old
09-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
The Swedish 2nd-tier league has nothing on the DEL. Heck, most players in the 2nd-tier league are not even full time professionals but have another day job to make a living. I bet that at least 30-40% of the players in the DEL would be good enough for the SEL.. and teams like Adler Mannheim, Eisbären Berlin would do pretty well IMO.

However, making any sort of conclusions based on preseason games is pretty worthless. Djurgården, an above average SEL team, lost clearly to a Norwegian team, hehe

EDIT: Btw, someone mentioned that Robert Nilsson will play for Leksand, that is not correct. He is playing for the above mentioned team - Djurgården.
Here's Leksand's complete roster for those that would like to see it:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=28

Old
09-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

What do they make playing in these leagues?

Old
09-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Robocop

Hi everyone!

I´m a Pens and Leksand fan from Sweden. I am sooo happy that Leksand signed Ryder! I love it!!
But I dont have would be glad if someone could give me a really good scouting report on him. I know he´s a good playmaker and has a pretty good shot, good work ethic also..?

Old
09-20-2004, 03:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
Hi everyone!

I´m a Pens and Leksand fan from Sweden. I am sooo happy that Leksand signed Ryder! I love it!!
But I dont have would be glad if someone could give me a really good scouting report on him. I know he´s a good playmaker and has a pretty good shot, good work ethic also..?

I wouldn't say he's a good playmaker, but he has a great shot, one of the better shots on the Habs (outside of Kovalev) his shot is his bread and butter, plus he has some decent moves to help him get off his shot in prime areas. He does work very hard and plays a decent physical and defensive game.

Old
09-20-2004, 08:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I wouldn't say he's a good playmaker, but he has a great shot, one of the better shots on the Habs (outside of Kovalev) his shot is his bread and butter, plus he has some decent moves to help him get off his shot in prime areas. He does work very hard and plays a decent physical and defensive game.
He isn't a playmaker, but he is a good passer and can thread the needle from time to time.

Old
09-20-2004, 08:20 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
I know he´s a good playmaker and has a pretty good shot...
Hi to you too, Robocop. Saying that Ryder has a pretty good shot is a bit of an understatement, imo. His release is unreal and his ability to shoot when you least expect it has garnered him more than a few goals. I would go so far to say that his shot is his greatest asset by a long shot. Anyway, hope you enjoy wathcing him play, and I hope he scores some gwgs for Leksand.

Old
09-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Robocop

Thanks everyone! I really hope he is as good on the big ice surface (or better) as he was in NHL last year.
I hate the lockout but at the same time it´s cool that the Swedish Elitserie is one of the better if not the best league in the world right now. Leksand MUST go back there!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Diaboli

Yea... Could someone tell me idea behind this move? There's no point playing for a Tier II team. Doesn't he think he'll get enough time on the ice in a better team? You'ld think the best rookie of last season (IMO), could play for a better team and still get enough time on the ice. Not a could place to develop anything else but your offensive skills.

Old
09-21-2004, 07:41 AM
topshelf

I don't understand it either. He should imo play in the swedish elite league and every team there should be thrilled to have him.

I read today on swedish Aftonbladet that Sheldon Souray is on his way too. But he will sign with a top team in the elite league. We just have to wait and see, but that would be pretty cool

Old
09-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Robocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppa
I don't understand it either. He should imo play in the swedish elite league and every team there should be thrilled to have him.

I read today on swedish Aftonbladet that Sheldon Souray is on his way too. But he will sign with a top team in the elite league. We just have to wait and see, but that would be pretty cool
Wouldn´t it be better for you if Souray signed with Malmö??

Justin Williams also signed a contract with a swedish team today, Luleå.

Old
09-21-2004, 04:39 PM
topshelf

Quote:
Wouldn´t it be better for you if Souray signed with Malmö??

Justin Williams also signed a contract with a swedish team today, Luleå.
Yes, but Souray in Malmö would never happen

Old
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Souray signed with Färjestads BK.

Closed Thread