HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beauchemin

Old
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
IIRC, Gainey asked around to see if anyone would claim waived players in the lockout, was told no, waived Beauchemin, and saw him claimed.

Mind you, he was waived for a reason. He was never supposed to be a top 4 defenseman.

You still have to wonder how much of his effectiveness his team effects. He strikes me as a prime candidate for a guy who will end up being paid far more than he is worth due to quality linemates and reputation.

Still, he eats up minutes and as he has a good slapper and if Montreal retains Kovalev, the Habs can turn him into a PP goal machine. He'd be a great acquistion, so long as it's a value contract.
I think I was the only one who thought this guy would become a solid top 4 in the NHL, when we lost him, I said it was gonna turn in one of the biggest mistakes of the last decade, he was playing with a high level of intensity and emotion, exactly what our blueline was lacking I was saying.. Looks like I was right on this one.. You can say he learnt at the right school with 2 of the greatest defensemen in the league, what is true, but one thing is for sure, Beauchemin was already playing a solid poised game in the farm, was making opponents pay hard to gain the blueline with some solid hits (both along the board and open ice), was moving the puck pretty well, had a hard accurate shot from the point, was doing everything in fact.. While Hainsey was stagnant in his progression, showing very little grit, no composure defensively, Beauchemin was quietly but certainly the best overall Bulldogs defenseman overlooked by everyone.. until he got claimed of course.. (the only one if I recall correctly that have been claimed from waiver during the lock-out).. We still feel that lost.. Time for Gainey to repair that mistake.. Beauchemin was just interviewed on l'antichambre and said he had some talks with the Ducks before his injury but no actual negociations as we talk.. Didnt exclude the possibility to sign here, said that he will look at the offers on the table with his agent this summer..

4.5 per year will be the price to pay for Beaucher IMO..

I agree with the opener, we have to build from behind.. We already have a GEM in the net, its now time to protect him better with a good defense in front of him.. Lets resign Komisarek and then sign Beauchemin, with a guy like Subban knocking at the door and another, we will have the opportunity to get 3 solid pairings, a nice mix of puckmoving skills and toughness.. Up front well, we have alot of quality kids on the wings, what we miss is a #1 center, Lecavalier would be the dream coming true, a guy making everyone better around, our kids wont have the choice to follow his pace, so improving.. As much as I like Koivu, he cant handle the rough schedule and hard practices anymore, will give everything he has when he is on the ice, especially when it really matters, like the playoffs, but his lack of stamina in the reg. season is really becoming a problem, this team has to become more regular in their performances, I dont think Koivu can give it us anymore, just like Kovalev is way too much inconsistent as skilled as he is, not only Kovy is one of the most inconsistent players in the league regarding the effort level, but he just cant play a team game, has trouble click with his linemates for a good reason, he plays alone! I mean thats a team we are looking for.. Our kids arent close as bad as they looked this year, they just didnt develop at all, part of the blame certainly can be attribuable to the bad leadership.. Time to put some order in this team, our kids have to be pushed hard during practices, they have to learn the little details that make you win.. One on one battles, puck protection, hard skating, reacting quicker in some situations.. They have been rested enough during the season, if the vets under contract next season cant follow the pace sorry but bye bye..they are all practicing hard all around the league, I dont know why it has to be different here in MTL, I understand the org. wanna treat their players like rock stars but its now turning to be a country club, I hope we learnt from the Bruins serie moving foward changing the mentality of the approach..

So yeah its important to build from behind, but thats a game played in unit of 5, everybody will have to push in the same direction working hard in a structured north south system, the next coach has a ton of work in front of him no matter the UFAs we get this summer.. If ever Kovy comes back, I lose any faith in Habs management to get this team on the right track..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
I heard that it was a management mistake from Gainey. Gainey didn't want to see him go...
It was a mistake -- but the mistake was that Gainey relied on the goodwill of his fellow GMs during the stoppage.

Gainey didn't want to see him gone, but Beauchemin was a depth guy with some upside at the time, so he took a calculated risk and it didn't pay off.

Of course, you don't often hear that version from the media, since several of them are actively trying to discredit Gainey. Nor do you often hear the fact that Beauchemin was seen as a depth defenseman at the time (Gainey wanted to send him to the AHL to give him experience!) or that it took for Beauchemin to be traded AGAIN, to Anaheim, to play with Niedermeyer before he became a defenseman of any consequence.

So Gainey's really guilty of losing a #6 type D-man on waivers during the lockout while trying to give him AHL experience.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd take JayBo before Beauchemin, but I'd definitely go after one of them even if we sign Komi.

Markov Komi
Jaybo Hamrlik
Gorges Dandy( or maybe even Schneider depending how much he asks)

The only downside is that we'd lack right handed Dman.
The only downside is that it's unrealistic

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Beauchemin is not an upgrade over Komisarek.
really and where is komi better than beauchemin ??

offense?
defense?
hit?
fight?
1st pass out of his zone?
leadership?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
panayiotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
If Komisarek wants more than he's worth, which is tops 3.75 M/year (see Robyn Regher's contract), Beauchemin should be our no.1 priority. Heck, I would take him regardless. If anyone thinks tying up too much money in d-men is a problem, just take a look at the anaheim ducks. They have 5 D who have good first passes, great shots, can play the PP, and who are for the most part quite good on D. They, and 1 scoring line, are the primary reason why the ducks dominated the sharks. Hiller was great, but man the Sharks had so much trouble offensively, and that was due mostly to how quickly Anaheim got the puck out of their own zone, usually with a stick to stick pass. I'm a believer that the offence and Price will itself out once a solid defence is in place. Unless your names are crosby, malkin or ovechkin, everything has to start in the back-end. Its as simple as that.
dream on! He will make a ton more. 3.5 in alberta is worth about 5 in quebec.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Andy

IMO, Gainey should focus on solidifying our defense than trying to bring in big name players.

Beauchemin would be a good signing and I think habs should also go after Jordan Leopold who is a great puck moving defensemen and has some offensive flashes every now and then that could be tapped. I'd like to see habs try to sign Komi as well.

Sure we'd have an expensive d with Markov and Hamrlik at 5+...Komi, Beauchemin and Leopold would probably cost 3.5+ each...but imagine a d like this for next year.

Markov Komi
Hamrlik Leopold
Beauchemin Gorges

we'd have a 22 million dollar defense lolol

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
I agree on stacking the D, i think we can muster up enough offence when things go right lol

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:15 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
really and where is komi better than beauchemin ??

offense?
defense?
hit?
fight?
1st pass out of his zone?
leadership?
Komisarek is better defensively and tougher to play against along the board.. He has a way stronger presence in the defensive zone as well, can crush his opponents pretty hard (6"4 235 lbs of muscle), no one want Komi on his side along the board.. Beauchemin can do everything, he is a more complete defenseman but Komi is one of the top defenseman in the league at what he does best. Komi's last season was a smoke screen, everything went wrong for anyone on this team.. So I dont think its fair to judge Komi only on that season, he has alot of charactere to bounce back.. Komi is the kind of guy you win with, a great competitor and a good leader with great attitude.. He represent the Habs very well and I could see him wear the C if Koivu doesnt come back.. Bob has to sign both.. Hamrlik is ufA in 2 years from now so we will get 5 millions back..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
This year he said he'd like to play in Montreal, not saying that he was planing to do it but he said it was an option.
So many players have said that over the years without thinking it...meh. Typical politically correct NHL answer; I don't think I ever heard any player say in an interview "no i'll never play for this crappy franchise!". I would bet anything that he stays in Anaheim

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Corey

IMO, losing Hainsey was more damaging than losing Beauchemin. With Hainsey aboard there would have been no need to sign Brisebois or trade for Schneider.

Last edited by Corey: 04-29-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Lafleurs Guy

O'byrne and Weber are probably coming up next year. We need to make room for them. I just hope Komi comes back.

Beauchemin would be a nice add too. Bye bye Brisebois and Dandenault.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Schneider and Beauchemin would be nice. I belive that Komi is gone. Americans rarely sign in Montreal (heres hoping Schneider is the exception). Let some other team pay for Komi. Hopefully, Obyrne or Weber will break through next year. Seeing anaheim beat the sharks was amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
did anyone see him shatter a shark players stick with his wicked hard slap shot on his goal last night? that would be a good addition to the team.

beauchemin is someone i was hoping the team would get back... he would be a very nice 4th d man, hopefully for under 3 mil?
if Schneider came back at an affordable price, maybe our d could look something like this:

markov-Schneider
hammer - georges
beauchemin -webber

o'byrne, dandy

i would love to see a jaybo here, but this might be easier to accomplish. im also not against bringing back komi, if the price was right

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

Dude - Habs had Beauchemin (they drafted the guy) and Gainey let him go -- for absolutely nothing - as a UFA!

Why would Beauchemin want to come back to the mess otherwise known as the Monntreal Canadiens when he could play in sunny So. Cal for a better team & better organization?

GO HABS GO!
I know you love to bash the Habs whenever you can, but try getting the facts correct before you go bashing the team and management.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Habs

Any GM that would pay Komisarek more than Regher should be immediately canned.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The best part is the next day, because of this, the NHL made a rule that no players could be claimed off waivers.
Which makes me wonder why the ****, the NHL didn't let us retain the rights to Beauchemin.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
dream on! He will make a ton more. 3.5 in alberta is worth about 5 in quebec.
I'd love for you to show me a defenseman who's making over 4 million a year that has no offense in his game. If Komisarek thinks he deserves more than 4, he should take a hike. Scott Hannan, Jay McKee and Robyn Regher are all prime examples. And on top of that, he just came off of a miserable year. When Regher signed his 5 year/20 m deal, he was coming off one of his best seasons. The jury rests..

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Well, I would take Beauchemin for sure but it really depends on the price. Lets not overhype the guy...He's solid but he's no stud like you guys are making him out to be. MANY Ducks fans were sick of this guy and wanted him gone because of his shoddy d-zone play and giveaways and missed picks. He has brain cramps ala Breezer, but he brings way, way more.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Well, I would take Beauchemin for sure but it really depends on the price. Lets not overhype the guy...He's solid but he's no stud like you guys are making him out to be. MANY Ducks fans were sick of this guy and wanted him gone because of his shoddy d-zone play and giveaways and missed picks. He has brain cramps ala Breezer, but he brings way, way more.
Exactly what I'm thinking, too...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I dont think we're over-hyping him that much. I just think that besides Markov, he's steadier than everyone on our blueline (with offensive skills to boot). He's something we need, and he can make guys like dandenault and bouillon expendable. Gorges has shown he can play more than 20 minutes. that means that between markov, gorges, hamrlik and beauchemin we'll have 4 legit 20 minute guys(2 25minute guys). We can fill in the blanks with weber, o'byrne, maybe schneider. Bottom line is that beauchemin gives us a younger, more offensively capable version of Hamrlik (the hamrlik of 2 years ago), that eats up a ton of minutes. What's maybe the most important of all, though, is that he can actually play the point with success. If you look at the free agents we can realistically acquire, there's basically only Leopold and Spacek who have decent PP skills worth acquiring. I'd take Beauchemin over both of those guys.

Old
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Beauchemin is not an upgrade over Komisarek.
If Komisarek hits the open market, he should draw higher bids than Beauchemin, anyway. I have a tough time judging how good Beauchemin really is, how much is pure complementariness with his partner. Ideally, I'd like to have them both.

GMs will bid with the idea of Komisarek's potential and his relative uniqueness.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:56 PM
jpguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Any GM that would pay Komisarek more than Regher should be immediately canned.
And yet they will, and they won't, bet on it.

I'm deeply disapointed, but I understand that with the centennial season being the unmitigated disaster that it was, Komo doesn't want to sign back here.

That said, his reputation his huge in the NHL, and he will get ridiculous offers as well, like Mckee did a couple of years ago.

I'd put one caveat on Beauchemin, and that is his injury history. He's been hurt more and more as the years have gone by. If he'd healthy though, he'd be a dynamite addition. Good puck mover, good shut down/physical guy, I'd take him anytime at 4.5-5mil for 4 years.

jpguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpguy13 View Post
And yet they will, and they won't, bet on it.

I'm deeply disapointed, but I understand that with the centennial season being the unmitigated disaster that it was, Komo doesn't want to sign back here.

That said, his reputation his huge in the NHL, and he will get ridiculous offers as well, like Mckee did a couple of years ago.

I'd put one caveat on Beauchemin, and that is his injury history. He's been hurt more and more as the years have gone by. If he'd healthy though, he'd be a dynamite addition. Good puck mover, good shut down/physical guy, I'd take him anytime at 4.5-5mil for 4 years.
It's true, i hadn't thought of that, the injuries are an issue. Still, i doubt there are many physical defensemen out there that don't have at least a little bit of a history of injuries. Comes with the territory i'd say.

Old
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
GNick42

Most I would offer Beauchmenin would be 3 million a season. Not go over that

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote