HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Martin Biron to Montreal a possibility?

Old
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Martin Biron to Montreal a possibility?

I hate to use the word, but there is speculation that Martin Biron will be a Hab next season! Either as a backup to Price or the starter if Price is dealt (another possibility).

Now, I know a lot of people are going to be quick to criticize this thread and so called rumor, but according to several Flyers boards and comments in the media, Biron might be a good fit here! After all, he is born and raised in Lac-Saint-Charles, QC.

What do you guys think?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
skule123

It sounds good until the names "Halak" and "Vokoun" occcur to me, in that order.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
gusfring

I think Manny Legace would be a good option as well - maybe Dwayne Roloson.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mue

I doubt it.

Would be an expensive back-up (although apparently a very well liked teammate so might be a 'good guy' to have for that position).

I can't see management giving up on Price this soon (although it appears that a lot of fans have).

I really like the idea of a veteran back-up for Price though.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PinchedNerve

If he wants to play 30-35 games and mentor Price, then great! If he wants to be our No. 1, then GTFO.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I call Shaninigans...no way he replaces Price and he will want to be a starter something with the money that goes with it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
AH

yeah that's what we need more off...perpetual controversy in the media about how a local guy is being kept down to make the guy from elsewhere a starter.

If we get a veteran backup, let's get someone else like Roloson or whoever.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Lafleurs Guy

If we give up on Price it will be the worst thing to happen to this franchise since Roy left.

He's the only kid with star potential that we have. We'd be crazy to deal him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Trendster go back to talking about jeans on MR

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

what speculation is there? because he is french and a free agent, so you assume that Montreal is interested?

Its nothing more than simpletons putting 2 and 2 together (an underacheiver french player + montreal) and boom! let the "speculation" start.

Mark my words, before july 1, anyone with any ties to Montreal will be linked to the habs. Its sad.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
What is the source of this "so-called rumor? Is it anything more than what Canadian_Brewtality said (Quebec guy + team in Quebec = a lock!!!)?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
People need to get over it. They won't get a mentor for price. You think they're waiting till his 3rd season in the NHL to get him a veteran back-up, in this case, a potential starter? Doubt it. Maybe after halak's contract is over, maybe they'll deal him as an RFA and sign someone for Price, otherwise, it's not going to happen and I don't want it to. Everything Price does wrong, he will learn from. People wanted him to have his ups and downs in the minors, he's having them in the pros. IMO, yes, the spotlight is much greater but he's learning how to deal with it without being babysit. He's a pretty calm and leveled individual. Because he can't steal games at 21 years old doesn't mean it's a veteran backup issue. Price is learning on his own, if anything, montreal has legends always around the team, if these guys can't help him then no back-up could. I have nothing against Biron, he actually has good composure and is fairly articulate in both languages, he would be an asset to our team, but the price tag and reason baffle me. If anything, I would've rather us not the playoffs and Price go to the WC and there he'll get to talk to someone while playing quality games.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If we give up on Price it will be the worst thing to happen to this franchise since Roy left.

He's the only kid with star potential that we have. We'd be crazy to deal him.
Would it be a mistake - For sure
The only kid with Star Potential - On the current roster, I think Pacioretty has shown us only the tip of the iceberg of what he can do.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

But his best friend signed in Philly cause they have a better shot at the cup!!!

Screw him!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Puckhead58*

Why would we be interested in Biron....we have 2 #1 goalies right now with Price and Halak. It would be nice to have a veteran backup for Price or Halak, but I would much rather see the Habs start the season with Price and Halak battling it out for the #1 job and competing with each other.

That way, if one of them falter, we know which one to keep and which one to trade away...and maybe then we find a veteran backup for whichever youngster we decide to keep as our #1 goalie.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
what speculation is there? because he is french and a free agent, so you assume that Montreal is interested?

Its nothing more than simpletons putting 2 and 2 together (an underacheiver french player + montreal) and boom! let the "speculation" start.

Mark my words, before july 1, anyone with any ties to Montreal will be linked to the habs. Its sad.
That doesn't just happen with Montreal players though. Komo and Higgins have often been linked to the Isles..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
That doesn't just happen with Montreal players though. Komo and Higgins have often been linked to the Isles..
Yes, but who is doing the speculating? I would say 75% of it comes from the montreal media.
Plus it makes sense, they are both young players that would add a great depth and dimension to a re-building team. They need local talent to try and re-pair broken ties with the fans.

What would Biron bring to Montreal? We have a franchise goalie. He may be struggling, but we need a back-up vet who plays 20-25 games a year, not a guy who still wants to be a number 1. Its just irritating.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:43 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Yes, but who is doing the speculating? I would say 75% of it comes from the montreal media.
Plus it makes sense, they are both young players that would add a great depth and dimension to a re-building team. They need local talent to try and re-pair broken ties with the fans.

What would Biron bring to Montreal? We have a franchise goalie. He may be struggling, but we need a back-up vet who plays 20-25 games a year, not a guy who still wants to be a number 1. Its just irritating.
Price, the worst starter in the league this year is NOT a franchise goalie!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:48 AM
neofury*

Uhm, doesn't Biron hate the habs with a passion? Not saying you can't play for a team you hate and all, but if I were a hockey player and my team traded me say to the leafs, I wouldn't be too happy to play for them.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I doubt it.

Would be an expensive back-up (although apparently a very well liked teammate so might be a 'good guy' to have for that position).

I can't see management giving up on Price this soon (although it appears that a lot of fans have).

I really like the idea of a veteran back-up for Price though.

I don't know why people think that giving up on price is making him a back up. Everyones excuse for NOT giving up ( ie keeping him the starter ) is that he's still very young, but to me that is exactly why he can be a back up. it will take all the pressure off him, give him time to regain his composure, and then HE can pull a Huet, or Halak and steal a string of games to take the #! status again.

I say give the kid playing break as a backup and let him get that hunger to win.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Price, the worst starter in the league this year is NOT a franchise goalie!
Can you tell me what most other top goalies in the league were doing at 20-21?
kthx.

Anyways, **** Biron. I'd rather see us bring in Kolzig. We can still have both Price and Halak. We could have three goalies like Edmonton did and Price would have his old mentor back. Or we could just fire Melanson's stupid ass and bring in Kolzig as the goalie coach.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
I don't know why people think that giving up on price is making him a back up.
Directed at this part of the OP's post -
Quote:
Either as a backup to Price or the starter if Price is dealt (another possibility).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
emb24*

1) biron isn't going to come here unless he wants to play 30 games a year. price is the man, he's gainey's kid and he's 21 freakin' years old. he is among 5 other NHL goalies in HISTORY to record a shut out by age 21 in the playoffs AND win 20+ games. go look at all the stats of great NHL goalies at 21 and tell me how many had incredible years in their early 20's?
2) the whole quebecers who grew up hating the habs is WAY overblown. tanguay was a nordiques fan too and loved playing here. the nords no longer exist. get over it

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I hate to use the word, but there is speculation that Martin Biron will be a Hab next season! Either as a backup to Price or the starter if Price is dealt (another possibility).

Now, I know a lot of people are going to be quick to criticize this thread and so called rumor, but according to several Flyers boards and comments in the media, Biron might be a good fit here! After all, he is born and raised in Lac-Saint-Charles, QC.

What do you guys think?
I edited the title slightly, since there's nothing to back this up, so unless you have a link that confirms this, the only way this stays open is if it's not a rumor and more of opinion.

That said I hope it's not true, I live just outside of philly so most of my friends are all flyers fans. I told them going into the playoffs they would not advance because of their goaltending and defense. Not a fan of Biron as a starter and I doubt he would want to be a backup. I could see Halak getting traded at some point as I would think he would want to be a starter somewhere and it seems unlikely that it will be here.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:

Yes , but in this ridiculous market, every Quebecois, Franco-Canadian and even person with a french surname is rumoured to be coming.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote