HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Plekanec had 1 shot in 3 playoff games!

Old
04-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

vCash: 500

What should we do with him next year? I say we keep until his value rises a bit...

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

If he signs for cheap, not only is he decent to keep, but if it doesn't go away, a team with big wingers to make room for him won't mind taking a risk on a low salary and he could have some value. I like plek a lot, but I'd rather see him go in a package for a quality big center. I would trade him, d'ags and a pick or something for Jordan staal for instance. If a good deal cant be had, dont trade him for nothing, he's still decent.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:56 AM
bib
#believe

I heard we're getting puck bunnies next season...

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post

What should we do with him next year? I say we keep until his value rises a bit...

Thats pathetic if you ask me!!! How come he was so rotten?? What is wrong with him?? Is he injured or is he just that damn soft??

If he is that soft and scared to get his hands dirty and win a few battles in the corners....then we might as well get rid of him now and sign someone who can step in as a #2 centermen and produce.

Since San Jose is likely going to blow things up, we should go after Marleau or Thornton as our #1 center, sign Lang as our #2 center, Lapierre is our #3 center and keep Metropolit or Chipchura to be our #4 center.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Bulis hit

Really? Plekanec didn't have good playoffs? Who knew?

Please show more stats to state the obvious...

Seriously, yes he was bad.. thats how players who lost all confidence play.. you can't change that overnight.

But he has talent of some kind.. He has good defensive talents, good speed and a nice set of hands. Rgiht now he is too soft, but he's a good team mate and I'M sure he'll try to bring a bit more of an edge to his game in order to come out of his slump.

Plekanec will be a 3rd line center probably. But that was what he was supposed t obe. Let's just be grateful he gave us a very good season 2 years ago.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
neofury*

LOL, he was too busy coughing up the puck in the offensive zone repeatedly to do that.

You know what's funny? People complain about Joe Thornton, saying he only scores/gets points when it doesn't matter.

Plekanec does the same thing, but he's not a 100pt guy. He gets a goal when we're losing 5-0, or when we're winning 4-1 lol.

His points total was shocking considering how bad he actually played, reason being, plek would rack up 2-4 points off one team, and then do nothing again for 1-2 weeks, then rinse and repeat. He seems to only be effective against certain teams.

Even if you want to save the complaining about the point production that's fine, but he could at least make some decent passes, not lose the puck in the offensive zone 9/10 times. I would see time and time again Plek has the puck, Plek loses the puck. Plek has the puck, Plek plays with the puck for a minute playing like he thinks he's a power forward, not passing when he gets numerous opportunities to do so. Then guess what? You guessed it, he coughs up the puck.

The guy frustrates me a lot. I don't know if it's just because he can't play against certain teams, or if he's the ultimate streaky player (remember the year before? he only came to play for the 2nd half of the season), but he just aggrivates the living hell out of me. Every time he enters the zone with the puck, is given the puck in the offensive zone, he loses it. His passes were just down right awful this season too. He has the least "soft hands" I've ever seen. He needs coach bombay to show him how its done. He rips the puck at the person so hard you almost expect it to break their stick. It's a pass plek, not a shot.

Grr, the guy just gets on my nerves so much, at least the way Higgins was playing, I could see him improving and breaking out eventually, he might even be the habs next Leclaire. But Plekanec, you can just tell his one good season must've been a fluke, the guy is just downright awful. I don't know if he's lost all his confidence, or maybe it's because the habs style of play doesn't work for him anymore, I really don't know what it is but the guy plays so bad it's laughable. At least Higgins has other parts of his game where he's good. Plek is just downright awful. I like to call him Plekvisible, because 90% of the time I never see him in a game, and when I do it's because he's getting stripped of the puck or making a failed attempt to score.

At certain points I even found he was being a puck hog, for no good reason in situations where even someone with the biggest lack of offensive awareness would've passed.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You can't get rid of him until you see signs that Maxwell is developing into a top two center. But Plekanec is here to stay until we get two top two centers because we just don't have great center depth, reguardless of the fact we'll never win with a guy like him.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
TheCH*

meh everybody sucked this year except for Markov.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Belso

Plekanec worked his ass off last season according to everything I read. The journalist weren't really on his back because of it this season. He just lost his confidence. He showed his potential when his confidence is high.

Solution?

Hire a coach who's good with the players. Too many players lost their confidence last year. A coach like Mike Keenan would not be a good fit. The team already tried hard. they were just doing the wrong thing trying hard.

And make Pleky see a sports psychologist.. His problems wasn't in his athletic abilities. His problem was between his ears. No point dumping something with value unless you get something equivalent in return.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Before this season, I thought he was going to sign for 4+ millions. Now, he's worth around 2 millions. At that price, you keep him...he'll either bounce back or transform himself into a good defensive player who will be great on a 3rd line. If that's the case, we need to find someone for top top two lines or we'll be in a deep trouble.

Anyways, I like him and he's a good player. Right now, we just don't know where he stands in the line-up. As soon as he understand what kind of player he really is, we'll all start to like him again.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Jakomyte

He didn't have a great season, including the playoffs. The thing with Plekanec is that it seems like he is a bit hot/cold and has some confidence issues.

In my opinion, his last two playoff games he actually did work really hard, the way he was skating and trying to chase down the puck carrier. Problem is that he would make one little split-second decision wrong because he was trying TOO hard and it would come back to bite him.

When he had his confidence, all or most of his little reads were correct, but the opposite was true when his confidence was low. I actually don't think, in his case, it has to do with 'trying hard'.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
icerocket

Trade everyone who doesn't meet my standards in performance.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post

And you seem surprised?

There were people on this board last season - at least one of whom was (maybe still is) a board moderator - who argued that Plekanec could be a #1 centre on a Cup champion team............really?

Reality
: During his so-called break out season ('07-'08) Plekanec (as well as AK46) benefitted greatly from playing on a line with Kovalev, who was having a MVP type season.

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

tell him to shoot the puck more in the post season?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Etienne

Trade him in a package for Jordan Staal. He's not even 20 and it's his 3rd NHL season. He'll peak at the same time our better young guys will (Price, Subban, McDonagh, MaxPac...). He'd be a better fit than Vinny and would cost much less. We all know Crosby and Malkin were playing with crap wingers before Kunitz and Guerin came in, so imagine the schmucks Staal is stuck with...yet he had two 20+ goals and 40+ points seasons in 3 years and he's defensively responsible.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Mustafa*

I realy hope he can turn his game around during the summer. He's the kind of athlete that knows what he has to do to get better. Efing drive the net!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
It sucks,he had a horrible year but the only positive for him was he wasn't the only one.

The weird thing about him tho is that his best hockey came 4 on 4 or short handed,just weird!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Kirk Muller

you can sign him cheap but where do you put him or do you move him to wing. He hasn't been a scorer since regular season of previous year. A bad playoffs followed by a bad regular season followed by a bad playoffs again.

Can you rely on him as a second line player and do you really want him on your third line and he would be overpaid as a fourth liner.

Unless you insulate him with big skilled forwards he doesn't look like he will turn it around scoring wise.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
you can sign him cheap but where do you put him or do you move him to wing. He hasn't been a scorer since regular season of previous year. A bad playoffs followed by a bad regular season followed by a bad playoffs again.

Can you rely on him as a second line player and do you really want him on your third line and he would be overpaid as a fourth liner.

Unless you insulate him with big skilled forwards he doesn't look like he will turn it around scoring wise.
Agreed, and I trust your judgement since you are in fact one of our coaches Kirk

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Turboflex*

Why do people say Plekanecs will be 3rd line centre? The Habs already have a rock solid 3rd line centre, Lapierre. Lapierre has improved every season, and is one of the few players on the team who has some skill and also consistently plays hard and gritty. You want to replace him with Plekanecs?

Plekanec is either a top 2 centre or nothing on the habs. If Koivu leaves as a UFA then the habs might desperatly need to keep Plekanec around, but otherwise if Koivu stays and the habs land a real centerman he's completely expendable (and hopefully going back to the other team involved if there's a trade).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:01 PM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Thats pathetic if you ask me!!! How come he was so rotten?? What is wrong with him?? Is he injured or is he just that damn soft??

If he is that soft and scared to get his hands dirty and win a few battles in the corners....then we might as well get rid of him now and sign someone who can step in as a #2 centermen and produce.

Since San Jose is likely going to blow things up, we should go after Marleau or Thornton as our #1 center, sign Lang as our #2 center, Lapierre is our #3 center and keep Metropolit or Chipchura to be our #4 center.

soft between the ears maybe - looks like more than a few players could have used a Demers type of coach (but definately not Demers) to massage their ego and build their confidence - instead they had carbo who seemed to bring em even lower.

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Why do people say Plekanecs will be 3rd line centre? The Habs already have a rock solid 3rd line centre, Lapierre. Lapierre has improved every season, and is one of the few players on the team who has some skill and also consistently plays hard and gritty. You want to replace him with Plekanecs?

Plekanec is either a top 2 centre or nothing on the habs. If Koivu leaves as a UFA then the habs might desperatly need to keep Plekanec around, but otherwise if Koivu stays and the habs land a real centerman he's completely expendable (and hopefully going back to the other team involved if there's a trade).
I like Lapierre, but Plekanec should be the better player if he's ask to be a defensive centre. We'll see how Lapierre will continue his development though because he sure was better than ever during the season.

Old
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I like Lapierre, but Plekanec should be the better player if he's ask to be a defensive centre. We'll see how Lapierre will continue his development though because he sure was better than ever during the season.
Lapierre will be a lot cheaper too.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:

That's not a problem. Lapierre can play on a strong 4th line. The 4th line needs to be seen as another opportunity to generate offense and be defensively tight, bring energy and play some decent minutes every night. Right now we can't because our talent is not ready, but in the near future, it will be possible.

This would look pretty good I think:

Tanguay - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
S. Kostitsyn - (UFA center, or eventually Maxwell) - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - D'Agostini(or Perezhogin maybe)
Chipchura - Lapierre - Latendresse

So it wouldn't really be #1,#2,#3 and #4 lines... it would be #1, #2, #3A and #3B.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Lapierre will be a lot cheaper too.
It's true...but if we have the cap space, which we should have, I'd keep both. They are both good on the PK and we can never have enough good players in these kind of situations...