HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did the Canadiens make a mistake with Carey Price?

Old
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Did the Canadiens make a mistake with Price. Maybe. I don't know.

I think a lot of fans made a mistake thinking that he would be Patrick Roy in his first couple of years.

Roy's defense in his first two years. (86 & 87)
Robinson - just off a great year, made all-star team (2nd I believe) future HOF
Chelios - another future HOF
Svoboda - good young player, top 5 pick overall, over 1000 games played
Ludwig - great defensive D
Green - great defensive D
and the rest

compare that to Price's D so far.

The quality of shots allowed varies greatly between both defense and effectiveness at clearing the slot and rebounds does also.

Add to that. The total meltdown of the entire team and not just Price in the second half of the season.

I think it's the high expectations that has people disappointed. No one complained last year. His first round playoffs win last year was fine. The second round, not so much. This year, the second half wasn't very good, but he wasn't alone. Most of the team underperformed during that span, so we can't just blame Price.

You want to compare him to Mason. Well Mason plays for a tight system where they win games by minimizing their opistion's chances while we had no system.

Mason also had no pressure coming in. A team that never made the playoffs and weren't expected to make the playoffs even before they lost their #1 goalie in Leclair. While Price was expected to carry us to the Stanley Cup.

I still look at it as all the kids learned a lot in defeat this year. If they perform the same way next year, we'll know we don't have the right guys.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 04:34 AM
HabsSlappy

The Canadiens did not make a mistake with Price.

The media and uneducated fans have however. It is dispicable the way "The Saviour" gets constant scrutiny and unrealistic standards.

I for one feel this circus season, culminating in the game 4 shananigans will forever leave a sour taste in his mouth and the other players mouths for years to come. Players talk to other players and it will continue to be difficult to land FA's and even re-sign our players.

It's a shame that the city is so obsessed with the success of the team that they contribute to their failure.

Price even said something when asked about continuing to play in Montreal like "do I have a choice". To me that signals that he is counting the days to when he can leave. Probably right when he is hitting his prime.

Its just a matter of time guys like Pacioretty, McDonagh, Subban, Weber and more go the same route unless there is a fundamental change

It frustrates me to no end.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
The Canadiens did not make a mistake with Price.

The media and uneducated fans have however. It is dispicable the way "The Saviour" gets constant scrutiny and unrealistic standards.
Which was put forward by Gainey who thought he was something he wasn't ready to be. See, uneducated fans didn't know who Price was when we picked him. So they had to be told that this kid had the potential to be a franchise goalie. Not just a goalie. It's been 4 years now and people are still waiting. We see glimpses of it, not yet anything tangible to see that he's going to put it together from physically to mentally to become one. Like we've been told by Timmins that physically McDonagh would ready to be an NHL'er in 1 year (while uneducated fans cannot be told that, since they might not understand that there's a whole lot of other thing than the physical aspect).

So this team might want to learn to lower the expectations whenever they drafts their kids. And since we don't have the greatest media out there to really explain to the fans what the kids are all about, well the team needs to do a better job.

Still, as far as Price is concerned, we are not only talking about words, we're talking about actions that made us believe that the saviour was arrived. He did play great in the Worlds, did win a Calder Cup and did steal Huet's job as #1. He was so great that he didn't need a vet goalie to help him out. So when you believe that a goalie has arrived, well in reality he isn't, it has to be dissapointed. And for whoever says that he's just 21, well you're right. Reason why he should've sped 1 full year in Hamilton to learn the pros and cons of a full season in the pros riding the bus. Without the adrenaline of a Worlds Juniors or a Calder Cup playoffs. Reason why he should've been for the year after treated as a backup. Then you would've been able to bring him slowly but surely in a starter position.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Puckhead58*

They certainly have made a mistake with Price. They rushed him to be the Habs starting goalie wayy too early. He should have had at least 1 full season in Hamilton, maybe 2 seasons to fine tune his game and make the jump from junior hockey to PRO hockey.

He could have worked on his game in Hamilton while Huet, Halak, Danis or Denis played for the Habs and when Price was ready, he could have jumped into the #1 job....but one thing is for sure....Price wasn't ready to be the GO-TO guy in Montreal. This season he took a step backwards...which wouldn't have happened if we would have played him for a year or 2 in Hamilton.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 288
He's a 21-year old with 16 playoff games under his belt. On top of that it's not like his performance was bad this playoff season despite the outcome. He's a keeper in my books.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Habs

Halak lovers? Where are you after he was bombed tonight in the worlds? Anyone? Anyone? Halak Lovers?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Halak lovers? Where are you after he was bombed tonight in the worlds? Anyone? Anyone? Halak Lovers?
I'm a huge fan of Carey Price but I'm cheering for Halak to do well. He's a Hab and he's been nothing short of a true professional with us. This comment quoted above is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary if you ask me.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Are you for ****ing real? He played TEAM CAANDA with a weak Team Slovakia.

Canada >>>> any NHL team

I cant honestly believe some of you people on here.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'm a huge fan of Carey Price but I'm cheering for Halak to do well. He's a Hab and he's been nothing short of a true professional with us. This comment quoted above is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary if you ask me.
Oh, go cry to a mod and get a sense of humor.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I said it at the time and will say it again, trading Huet in that situation was a terrible move.

When you have a young phenom, you need to surround him with good leadership, having him split time with Halak on a team that expects to contend is a big mistake.
Huet wanted a big contract and we weren't going to give him one. He would've left us for nothing.

The only thing I'm upset about there is that I thought we could've got more for him in return.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
So let's take a look at this in a timeline,

Price at 19 leaves the CHL for the AHL, goes on to win the Calder Cup and be named the youngest MVP in the 75 year or so history of the AHL.

Turns 20 right before camp, gets the backup job to Huet, spends a few weeks in Hamilton mid-season, Huet gets traded, Price plays great up until the 2nd round where he looked like crap, but it was rumored he had a hand injury, not sure if that is true or not.

Turns 21 right before camp, is the starter for his first full season, things seem to be going great for him, putting up good numbers, then injury, then Carbo says he can't go to the All Star game unless he's back from injury, Price comes back and looks like total crap. In the 2nd half, things go from bad to worse and while he was ok in the playoffs imo, he didn't get the job done.

Sounds like to me, if Price is healthy, he should be a good goalie. Then again I'm not a big fan of the blame game, the Habs failed this year, hopefully next year they don't. I do admit I was suprised he made the team full time last year and this year I thought Halak would get moved for a vet like Hedberg to back him up. Hopefully Price comes into camp in the fall ready to show he can get the job done.
Pretty much sums it up.

Old
04-29-2009, 01:01 AM
habtastic

I think next season will really be a defining year from Price.

-hopefully his sophmore jinx will be over (look how awesome Ward is playing this year...and yes I do note the difference between Wards entry and Price's falter vs. the Flyers, but aside from that Price was pretty huge last year)

-He has been thrown in the well, it's time to see what he can come up with mentally

-He has enough games under his belt (including playoffs) to have the feel for it. I have no doubt if you put him on the Caps or Ducks, he would have done as well as Varlamov or Hiller

-We will have a much better D next year

-He will likely be shielded better by Gainey (please Bob...STAY! and in that case GG too)

As much as we hate to have to go through it, our young goalie had very difficult growing pains this season and he's going to either come out of it in a big way or just be average (which will be seen as mediocre). I am, personally, certain that we have not made a mistake with him and that Bob knows what he's doing, even if it requires these kinds of lows. I am also sure he will be great in the near future. I just wish the real fans (the majority) could get through to him and tell him that the sour taste he has in his mouth is due to an ill-representation. Ignore them, Montreal loves you. Win us a cup and if you can, change your mask while you're at it.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Corey

Price has a tremendous upside. The present Dmen don't. I hope to see significant upgrades in the D next season but it might get even worse if Komisarek leaves as a UFA.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I think next season will really be a defining year from Price.

-hopefully his sophmore jinx will be over (look how awesome Ward is playing this year...and yes I do note the difference between Wards entry and Price's falter vs. the Flyers, but aside from that Price was pretty huge last year)

-He has been thrown in the well, it's time to see what he can come up with mentally

-He has enough games under his belt (including playoffs) to have the feel for it. I have no doubt if you put him on the Caps or Ducks, he would have done as well as Varlamov or Hiller

-We will have a much better D next year

-He will likely be shielded better by Gainey (please Bob...STAY! and in that case GG too)

As much as we hate to have to go through it, our young goalie had very difficult growing pains this season and he's going to either come out of it in a big way or just be average (which will be seen as mediocre). I am, personally, certain that we have not made a mistake with him and that Bob knows what he's doing, even if it requires these kinds of lows. I am also sure he will be great in the near future. I just wish the real fans (the majority) could get through to him and tell him that the sour taste he has in his mouth is due to an ill-representation. Ignore them, Montreal loves you. Win us a cup and if you can, change your mask while you're at it.
Not sure about our D next year, esp if Komi leaves.

We've got a bunch of kids ready to come up, Weber and O'Byrne are going to get regular shifts... there will be some growing pains there. If we lose Komi? It will be really ugly.

Old
04-29-2009, 10:34 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Huet wanted a big contract and we weren't going to give him one. He would've left us for nothing.

The only thing I'm upset about there is that I thought we could've got more for him in return.
So what if he left for nothing? We were a pretty good team that year and had solid chances for the playoffs. Anyways, what's done is done. What I didn't like is that Gainey didn't get a veteran backup somewhere else. Price obviously needs a mentor and he seemed like he was very happy with Huet filling that role.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
So what if he left for nothing? We were a pretty good team that year and had solid chances for the playoffs. Anyways, what's done is done. What I didn't like is that Gainey didn't get a veteran backup somewhere else. Price obviously needs a mentor and he seemed like he was very happy with Huet filling that role.
Sure.

But again, he wasn't going to stay with us...