HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Q's for goalies

Old
04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Q's for goalies

OK so I'm an old man who has only been playing hockey for a year and now I want to try net.

I just bought some nice Flite Interceptor pads that fit well but they did not come with the boards or stacks.

I'm having the stacks added but as for the boards should I use knee pads or should I get new boards to install?

I plan on playing net (Brodure style) hybrid, mostly stand up but willing to go to butterfly when needed if that makes a difference in choosing between boards and knee pads.
If you could enplane why you prefer one over the other that would help allot.

Thanks

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
are you talking about thigh boards?

ive always tried to play like brodeur. i used to have heaton helites like brodeur but now i have itechs. brodeur doesnt always go down so that the stacks are on teh ice in a full butterfly, some times he goes down and his knee is on the ice and then the thigh board will protect his thigh. thats the way i play also.

i actually took some of the stacks out of my pads when i got them, they were just bulky and in teh way. i would get the thigh boards put on, they wont bother you and they stay with your pad so they wont shift away

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
are you talking about thigh boards?

ive always tried to play like brodeur. i used to have heaton helites like brodeur but now i have itechs. brodeur doesnt always go down so that the stacks are on teh ice in a full butterfly, some times he goes down and his knee is on the ice and then the thigh board will protect his thigh. thats the way i play also.

i actually took some of the stacks out of my pads when i got them, they were just bulky and in teh way. i would get the thigh boards put on, they wont bother you and they stay with your pad so they wont shift away
Yeah I meant Thigh boards. My Flight pads look a bit like the old Helites in red, white, and black

Thanks Gunnar

I'm going down to Jersey for the game on the 23rd (game 5) WOO HOO!
My father got tickets for Myself, wife, and 7 year old goalie.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Yeah I meant Thigh boards. My Flight pads look a bit like the old Helites in red, white, and black

Thanks Gunnar

I'm going down to Jersey for the game on the 23rd (game 5) WOO HOO!
My father got tickets for Myself, wife, and 7 year old goalie.
nice, i wish i was going. maybe next round when we make it

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 488
Brodeur does not wear Thigh boards as they are not allowed in NHL (not sure if he would anyway) So if you want to play his style Knee pads would be fine.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
pfloyd75

It really depends on what you like. Some goalies like thigh boards, others can't stand them. Some just wear knee pads with thigh wraps, some wear those and have thigh boards too.

Personally, I prefer thigh boards to the kneepads/thighwraps.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
densetsu

I prefer thigh wraps.

I've had bad luck with both boards and kneepads. With thigh boards, a lot of pucks have slipped between the board and landing gear, hitting me in the knee. Thigh boards close up that hole.

On the other hand, knee pads don't usually stay in place, but the thigh wraps I have right now (Brians) have been pretty reliable.

Maybe I haven't found the right kneepad or thigh board, but these thigh wraps work for me so I'll stick with them. Your mileage may vary, everyone is going to have different experiences.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:16 PM
rk50

Anyone have any tips for finding cheap gear? What sites are the best (cheapest)?

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
Anyone have any tips for finding cheap gear? What sites are the best (cheapest)?
You my friend! I was told that Hockey Monkey is the best place to find goalie gear....Cheap!

Head coach

04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Right now I get everything from craigslist, Kijiji or play-it-again.

I got my C/A from a friend/nice guy who runs the ASHL leauges where I play shinny.

I'm looking for a good mask that I can have repadded at warwick http://www.warwickmaskcompany.com .

Good site for goalie information http://www.goaliestore.com

Old
04-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I really don't find any pucks hitting my knees any time other than when I am scrambling after going into a butterfly. I don't really like thigh boards that much because the only time I have ever used them they tended to bind and catch on my pants and really weren't necessary for knee protection as much as 5 hole blocking. I prefer standard strap on knee pads. Goaliemonkey.com has them. Also there is a forum that is a great resource for starting goalies called The Goalie Store Bulletin Board, though I don't recall the URL off the top of the head.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Thanks all for the advice.

As for the game I saw Game 5, 1 - 0 shout out NJ, the game was a bit less energetic than a summer shinny game in Toronto.

And just watched NJ go down, and the Rangers went down to 2 Atlantic league teams. I'm thinking that is was fixed!

O well, Go Penguins Go! or Ducks? who the heck knows.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:36 AM
OprtnShtdwn

I hafta agree that the only time i get any shots in the knees are on scrambles. Usually, I can get myself square enough that i don't have to worry about my knee's being too open.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
densetsu

For those not getting hit hard in the knees, four words: Cross-crease one-timers.

Usually I can get somewhat square to the shooter, but not always. Having to push off quickly for the butterfly slide hurts my technique, I can't always get as good a seal in my five-hole as I would when just dropping into a butterfly.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 488
I think pads shape, size, and design play a big role. Currently wear Smith +2 thigh rise, Good S shape, and rigid thigh boards and in three seasons nothing has got to the knee at all.(knock on wood) Before that was wearing Litespeed pads that had one less inch thigh rise, less shape and floppy thigh boards and got hit a few times a year with them. Never direct, but the puck would pinball it's way to catch some knee.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
densetsu

Probably true. My last two sets of pads were 36+0 and 37+1's... I'd like to get a 2" thighrise or more, but depending on the manufacturer it's just not possible, for me anyways. My 36" RBKs had settled down and shrunk an inch after a year, to the point where my knee was hitting the very top of the landing gear. My 37+1" TPS pads have been good so far, knock on wood... after a season my knee is right in the middle, hopefully they'll stay that way.

I don't think the mass-producers of pads like Vaughn, Reebok, Itech, TPS would make a pad longer than 38". The smaller, custom pad makers (Battram, Smith, etc) might, so my next set might be something like a 37+2" from them. Not to mention Battram has some pretty nice looking vintage material...

Old
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
MetropolisPt31

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
For those not getting hit hard in the knees, four words: Cross-crease one-timers.

Usually I can get somewhat square to the shooter, but not always. Having to push off quickly for the butterfly slide hurts my technique, I can't always get as good a seal in my five-hole as I would when just dropping into a butterfly.
Your post made my right knee hurt. A couple weeks ago, a one-timer like you described found a gap between the knee stacks and thighboards.

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote