HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Swine Flu in Montreal??

Old
04-29-2009, 10:34 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Tamiflu is not a vaccine so it will help suppress the symptoms after you already have it and it is only effective on part of the virus which in theory could give you a false sense of security by helping you get over the initial stage but it may allow the virus to mutate while in your body and come back even stronger. At that point a vaccine may be ready but it's not likely. This virus is a recombinant, contains parts of two human influenza, one pig influenza and one bird influenza. It is virulent enough to make it to the Human to Human stage in many parts of the world in less than 3 weeks with high concentrations in North America. Pay attention to it and be safe.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
You will all die.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
they killed them?
He said quarantined, not guillotined

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Habsfan18

Only 7 confirmed deaths so far...not 150+.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-s...0429-aml1.html

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
That's how
Tamiflu is on ordonance only.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
How worse? well the H5N1 strain has deadlier genes and could kill billions of humans. Why? It works 29 times faster than the H1N1 (Spanish). No symptoms one day, death the other.
Good to know. Makes me sleep easier at night . Damn, this sort of situation reminds of the The Stand, Stephen King's novel about a virus that kills 99% of the human population.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
Good to know. Makes me sleep easier at night . Damn, this sort of situation reminds of the The Stand, Stephen King's novel about a virus that kills 99% of the human population.

That's what I was thinking...Awesome book and even the mini-series was well done

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Clumsyhab

Pandemic alert level is now at 5 out of 6. We will all die by the end of the year!

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
MontrealHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Pandemic alert level is now at 5 out of 6. We will all die by the end of the year!
Finally !!!!!

MontrealHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
deandebean

I know people who should die first.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I know people who should die first.
RT comes to my mind.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Habs

With all the scare talk about Coughing Pig Death, plenty of people are calling up the horrors of the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. And to be sure, the 1918 flu was a tragic, awful calamity. But just how bad was it, statistically speaking?

It's estimated that about 28 per cent of Canadians and Americans contracted the Spanish flu. Worldwide, an estimated 2.5 per cent of the sick died of complications, which made the pandemic one of the most lethal flu outbreaks in recorded history. Certainly it was one that imprinted itself upon human consciousness for several generations.

But there's another way to look at those statistics. You might observe, for example, that they mean that even during the worst ravages of the 1918 flu, 97.5 per cent of those infected survived and recovered. Or that 72 per cent of the population -- even in the absence of the sophisticated public health planning and infrastructure that Canada and the U.S. have since built -- was not infected during the pandemic.

So, even if we had a repeat of the 1918 flu, the chances were seven out of 10 that you wouldn't catch it and if you did, the odds were better than nine out of 10 that you'd survive.

That was during the worst pandemic of the modern era and one which occurred in the days before the instantaneous communications of radio, television and the Web enabled quick public health responses.

Deal with it, you paranoid puppets of the media.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I wonder how cheap trips to Mexico will be next year. Not in a joking sense, but seriously. I remember after the food scare a few months back, meat was dirt cheap.

Anyway, there are a few people I know who are sick, but I'm not all that worried unless I show any symptoms. I will inform them to head to their doctors though.
Well I'm going to Mexico in August, so I'm quite happy about the prices.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Andy

I don't think we should be too worried. It's ok to be cautious, but don't freak out. Medicine has changed so much since the 1918 epidemic, we understand viruses so much more than what we did.

I know people want to know what's going on, but until the virus spreads and infects more people we won't know anything. I'd say we are a good month away until we know what we are dealing with. Even at that I don't think we should be that worried, it's no Boubonic Plague.

Read Habs post above mine if you are worried, it's a great post taht really puts things into perspective.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Iwishihadacup

I live in Quebec city (where the disease have not beed spotted), and there was a moron in front of me in the bus wearing a facemask, so just to make him feel bad, I faked coughing really hard for a few seconds

the poor paranoid fat kid really looked nervous afterward

Last edited by Iwishihadacup: 04-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I live in Quebec city (where the disease have not beed spotted, and there was a moron in front of me in the bus wearing a facemask, so just to make him feel bad, I faked coughing really hard for a few seconds

Dude, that's really bad. I really feel for that kid because I'm a germaphobe myself and I know how that kid must feel. lolol You're an *******.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Prudentius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I live in Quebec city (where the disease have not beed spotted, and there was a moron in front of me in the bus wearing a facemask, so just to make him feel bad, I faked coughing really hard for a few seconds

I actually have cystic fibrosis... so if I see anybody wearing a mask you can be sure I'll be coughing my lungs out, that'll scare the **** out of those paranoids freaks lol.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
I actually have cystic fibrosis... so if I see anybody wearing a mask you can be sure I'll be coughing my lungs out, that'll scare the **** out of those paranoids freaks lol.
Good stuff

Oh and BTW, One of my best friend got this too, I just feel for you, man you are awesome

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
la25ecoupe

And i thought i was crazy seeing a guy with a mask monday..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
RT comes to my mind.
Richard Trottier?!?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
With all the scare talk about Coughing Pig Death, plenty of people are calling up the horrors of the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. And to be sure, the 1918 flu was a tragic, awful calamity. But just how bad was it, statistically speaking?

It's estimated that about 28 per cent of Canadians and Americans contracted the Spanish flu. Worldwide, an estimated 2.5 per cent of the sick died of complications, which made the pandemic one of the most lethal flu outbreaks in recorded history. Certainly it was one that imprinted itself upon human consciousness for several generations.

But there's another way to look at those statistics. You might observe, for example, that they mean that even during the worst ravages of the 1918 flu, 97.5 per cent of those infected survived and recovered. Or that 72 per cent of the population -- even in the absence of the sophisticated public health planning and infrastructure that Canada and the U.S. have since built -- was not infected during the pandemic.

So, even if we had a repeat of the 1918 flu, the chances were seven out of 10 that you wouldn't catch it and if you did, the odds were better than nine out of 10 that you'd survive.

That was during the worst pandemic of the modern era and one which occurred in the days before the instantaneous communications of radio, television and the Web enabled quick public health responses.

Deal with it, you paranoid puppets of the media.
Always look at the bright side!

You sir, have made my day!

Ole, Ole Ole Ole!!!

I will of course taking precautions should I become ill, but I ain't scared of no Flu.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Erythro73

Quote:
You really are not getting what's going on are you? This strain is severe because it doesn't work like the normal influenza strains, it attacks like the Spanish flu did, it attacks via cytokine storms, making your immune system overreact and killing healthy adults unlike the normal strains.
I'm glad to hear someone who knows that he's talking about (sincerely). I've talk to a lot of people who doesn't have any clue about it, like "But I'm young, I can't die from it!"... well, watch the spanish flu and today's mexican fatalities due to swine flue.

People should do some research. Wikipedia is a valuable source of informations. Even I, a physicist, knew these things about cytokine storm from wiki.

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Maliki2

To be honest I have had a horrible flu like virus since I got back from game three up in Montreal.

Having a hard time deciding if it's the flu, or that gnotting feeling I got in my stomach after watching the Habs lose game 3 to the Ruins!

Last edited by Maliki2: 04-30-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Vodka_Tonic

The Daily Show - Snoutbreak '09

those running scared do know that malaria infects 350-500 million per year and kills more than 2700 a day, right? because thats 2 deaths per minute.

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:52 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka_Tonic View Post
The Daily Show - Snoutbreak '09

those running scared do know that malaria infects 350-500 million per year and kills more than 2700 a day, right? because thats 2 deaths per minute.
Malaria doesn't spread by being in the same room as someone.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote