HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

THe Habs should hire Chelios as D-coach next season.

Old
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Belso

vCash: 500
THe Habs should hire Chelios as D-coach next season.

I know A) there me be a new GM next season and B) they have to hire a head coach, but if Gainey stays, I think he should finally go out and get a defensive coach.. Every season, the Habs get outshot by a mile. And it's not just being outshot. 40 shots on net is not acceptable and it's not helping the so called Purebred you want to succeed..

Now I was looking at what Chris Chelios can bring to the table and it's exactly what the Habs need..

Bob brought Jarvis in because he had faith in his abilities. He wasn't Carbo's man.. But what was Jarvis? An average Center who played 14 years in the NHL... The guy has as many years as an assistant coach in the NHL with Dallas and Minnesota, and yes, he did win a cup with Dallas, but with all this so called experience, why was the PP useless without Markov and Schneider? Why when Carbo needed answers was Jarvis not using his experience to help him find those answers? Why wasn't Jarvis capable of using his experience to keep everyone's confidence high and tell the kids to stop screwing around and put more effort when they didn't. How many times have we heard that they didn't play 60min? Where was Jarvis? 40 shots on net? Where was Jarvis? Etc...

When Bob took the coaching job over, it didn't lead to success, but the team did give up less goals on net and played with more confidence (excluding Plekanec). This thread isn't about Carbo Vs. Gainey. I'm talking about Carbo's right hand man that didn't seem to be contributing in all these departments.

Chelios is a very respected Deference in the NHL. He's been referred to as a work horse and freak of nature (because he's still capable of playing hockey at 47).

Chelios has 25+ seasons of pro hockey experience playing on the PP and having played as an older player in his careers, he's had to play really smart, work hard and probably knows every trick in the book as far as playing D...

So what does he bring to the Habs? Everything he's got to offer, the Habs need...

1)Defensive experience: He knows all about playing on the PP (had 70+ seasons on sup par teams) and he knows all the tricks of the trade after having played so many seasons against everyone from Wayne Gretzky to Sidney Crosby. Will help the young defense core learn a lot of NHL defensive secrets in a short period of time while working with the older more established players on how to be efficient playing every shift and contributing on the score board.

2)Respect: Who will argue to him that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Will be a bonus for him to work with Webber, Subban, Fischer, McDonagh, O'Byrne, who probably look up to him and have them follow his lead. Chelios also won't stand for lazy practices and shifts. If you step out of line he will let you know.

3)leadership. The Habs need more leadership and he will bring that. He's won multiple Stanley cups on different teams and Knows what it takes to win. He won the "Mark Messier" leadership award in 2007, was Captain of the US Olympic team and has spent the last 10 years playing under Bowman and Babcock's (Chelios is older than Babcock) winning system.

Looks like a damn fine resume for an assistant coach to take care of the defense if you ask me.... And he will be able to contribute to the PP, PK, practices and give sound advise on game nights too..

Bob, please read my post!!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
He'll be playing til he's 70.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He'll be playing til he's 70.
HA HA HA!! So you think next season is a no show?

Old
04-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
HA HA HA!! So you think next season is a no show?
Well, he's only 68, so yeah, won't happen next year.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Belso

Quote:
Maybe the Habs can sign him for his final 2 years until he's 70 and then offer him the job... He'll get a head start oozing his hockey presence onto the team...

Old
04-30-2009, 01:40 AM
snakeye

Quote:
What? When did he turn 68? Happy birthday Chelios!

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:45 AM
TheWhiteTiger

I would be great to have him as D-coach, but i think he'll still be playing next season! Maybe bring him in as 7th defenseman like Breezbwa this year.

TheWhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Why would he take a job with a organization that's heading towards being a train wreck when he would be welcomed with open arms to the team he's been playing for the last several years and one of the best teams in sports? Just being honest.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:23 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
Why would he take a job with a organization that's heading towards being a train wreck when he would be welcomed with open arms to the team he's been playing for the last several years and one of the best teams in sports? Just being honest.
How the hell are the Habs a train wreck? They have good young players on the team and more great young players in the prospect pool. Add to that a lot of Cap flexibility.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Canadiens1958

Assumptions

Number of unsupported assumptions. First, you are assuming that Chelios wants to be an assistant coach. Then you are assuming that the reasons that hastened his departure from Montreal as a player in 1990 wll not preclude his return.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:00 AM
AH

What makes him a good coach to have?

I mean,it's not like the Habs listened to the great defensive forwards Carbonneau or Jarvis and back checked real hard, nor did they listen to the gritty Kirk Muller and play his style of game. Plus, he is American and a Red Wing, two things working against the Habs. No one leaves the Wings willingly to come work for the Habs.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
Because he's going to get paid good money from the train wreak and help jump start his post playing career with a bang He knows Montreal is a hockey town and it can't be as bad as last year..

Besides, Train wreak is a strong word. It doesn't matter who owns the team. The Habs aren't going anywhere. and if someone does buy part of the Habs, they will be passionate about the team... And if he likes who the Habs hire as coach, he will only contribute to a good season..

Old
04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Number of unsupported assumptions. First, you are assuming that Chelios wants to be an assistant coach. Then you are assuming that the reasons that hastened his departure from Montreal as a player in 1990 wll not preclude his return.
I didn't say that Chelios want's to come here and be a D-coach. But that doesn't mean that he would not make a good d-coach and I don't see the harm of Bob calling him up and asking him if he's interested.. Like I mentioned above, a lot of players who love hockey (Chelios) don't want to have it end when they retire. This would be a good chance for him to continue contributing to the NHL in his post player years..

And I think he would do a great D-coach and it gives him an opportunity to see how he likes coaching and if he wants to become a head coach one day..

Old
04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
What makes him a good coach to have?

I mean,it's not like the Habs listened to the great defensive forwards Carbonneau or Jarvis and back checked real hard, nor did they listen to the gritty Kirk Muller and play his style of game. Plus, he is American and a Red Wing, two things working against the Habs. No one leaves the Wings willingly to come work for the Habs.
They were forwards and played different roles. Carbo and Jarvis' jobs were not to get the puck up to forwards, their job was to be positions to receive passes from defensemen and back checking.

If the Habs were better defensively I'd say fine, they don't need a d-coach. But they downfall of both Hamrlik and Komisarek and O'Byrns' atrocious development, I'm convinced the Teams coaching staff has a deficiency in that department...

Old
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Pascal

Pretty sure he'd stay in Detroit, he has a restaurant there called Cheli's Chili.

http://www.chelischilibar.com/

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
LeMAD

There's no reason why Chelios would be a good coach...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteTiger View Post
I would be great to have him as D-coach, but i think he'll still be playing next season! Maybe bring him in as 7th defenseman like Breezbwa this year.
Player / Coach.

can you still do that?

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Player / Coach.

can you still do that?
No I think he was just saying to sign him as a 7th deference only. And sure I'd be up for that too if he still has gas in the tank...

Old
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
number 11

let's just bring back scotty bowman, larry robinson, roy as goalie coach. anyone else? if we want them here that means they'll come back right?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
let's just bring back scotty bowman, larry robinson, roy as goalie coach. anyone else? if we want them here that means they'll come back right?
I don't see why so many posters have to always put words in people mouths and make fun of them for making a valid thread. I didn't say he will be the next d-coach and bring back every other ex hab player to the team.

I like Melanson, and and no Chelios isn't ready for being a head coach and Scotty isn't a bad idea either to have in the organization but he seems to be happy with his son in Chicago...

The Habs have issues to attend to and I just wrote that Chelios would be a good fit in that positions. He may not play next season and I don't see the harm in making him an offer if he want's to continue his career in the NHL after his playing career...

BTW, Chelios owns a restaurant in Detroit. So? He's only working in Montreal.. He can give the responsibilities to Someone else..

NHL career as coach > running a restaurant

Oh and BTW Bowman, Robinson, and Roy ALL did decide to try out coaching after hockey because they loved hockey and wanted to continue a career in the NHL after they were done playing. Chelios looks like a guy who doesn't ever want to stop playing and that is why at 47 he's still in the NHL. I don't see why he won't jump on an opportunity to try and stay in the NHL in some way or another...

Last edited by Belso: 04-30-2009 at 10:05 AM.