HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Lapierre our third line centre moving forward?

Old
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Stan

vCash: 500
Is Lapierre our third line centre moving forward?

I was wondering what people on the board think. I happen to think that the third line centre position is a huge part of a team. I like what Lapierre brings. He's really improved at the faceoff dot, plays with an edge, and is an agitator. He doesn't put up huge numbers but I think he will continue to grow in that respect. Thoughts?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I was wondering what people on the board think. I happen to think that the third line centre position is a huge part of a team. I like what Lapierre brings. He's really improved at the faceoff dot, plays with an edge, and is an agitator. He doesn't put up huge numbers but I think he will continue to grow in that respect. Thoughts?
Ideally, he would play on our fourth line and we would have 3 offensive lines clicking that can score with regularity.. But I could live with him centering the third as long as his line is tough to play against, reliable defensively and can score once in a while.. Then our 2 first lines would be more offensively punched..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

He is without a doubt in my mind the prototypical third line center. He plays his role to a tee and offensive upside. A lock for that spot next year unless he loses his s***.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:45 PM
odishabs

we have and probably always will roll 4 lines

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
redmachine54

I think so. I hope he can work on his play without certain players a little better, though; there was a stretch this season where he was invisible, but in a bad way. He played fine with Lats and Kosto, but not so much without them (specifically Lats).

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I like him, but as of now, I think he would be the perfect 4th liner. Sometimes though, he's better than that. If he continue to develop, he's sure to be our 3rd line centre for years to come...if not, I think there will be better option for that spot. Still have hopes for Chipchura, but he's way behind Lappy. Maybe Plekanec will re-invent himself as a defensive centre with offensive upside...I'd like to see that!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
MTL-rules

He looks a lot like Kesler, minus the offence... I think he could become one of the best 3rd line center in the league.

The problem is that we don't have a 1st line center, our current 2nd liner can't do the job of a 2nd liner (Plekanec) and the one who can do the job on the 2nd line (Koivu) might not come back.

The 3rd line center position right now is not an issue...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I like him, but as of now, I think he would be the perfect 4th liner. Sometimes though, he's better than that. If he continue to develop, he's sure to be our 3rd line centre for years to come...if not, I think there will be better option for that spot. Still have hopes for Chipchura, but he's way behind Lappy. Maybe Plekanec will re-invent himself as a defensive centre with offensive upside...I'd like to see that!
If Saku is a no.1 center, then Lapierre is a no.2 center. If Saku is a no.2 center, then he is a third.

It all depends on what you have on your team. He showed during the playoffs and during the season that he was ready for more responsabilities.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Yes Lapierre is a 3rd line centre. Remember the kid just turned 24, he's still improving. If the Habs get a more offensive winger to support Max and Gui, like Colby Armstrong, then they have a legitimate 3rd line.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I am not sold on him as a centerman period. He lacks the creativity. However, he should make an excellent 3rd line RW. He has very good straight speed, very good along the boards due to size and energy, and has 15 goal scorer hands. Also, he does not seem to have that defensive awareness to be a shutt down centerman

That leaves the habs with the need for 3 centermen

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
jpguy13

I think that he's a great two-way player that would produce a lot more, had he a better 3rd linemate than Kostopoulos. I say slap Higgins on that line and you've truly got an incredible 3rd line that can puck the puck in, as well as keep in out.

I think his intensity has earned him this spot. I also think we should discount some of his lack of performance during the playoffs as it was now revealed that his linemate Latendresse was playing hurt.

I can't wait for next year, again!

jpguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
I am not sold on him as a centerman period. He lacks the creativity. However, he should make an excellent 3rd line RW. He has very good straight speed, very good along the boards due to size and energy, and has 15 goal scorer hands. Also, he does not seem to have that defensive awareness to be a shutt down centerman

That leaves the habs with the need for 3 centermen
Yeah, I also see him as a RW. For me, a 3rd or 4th liner doesn't need creativity, but I just don't like the idea of having 2 smallish centres on our checking lines and Metropolit seems to have the 4th line job all wrapped up. Let's say we had made it past the first round and had to play against someone like Carolina. Who's gonna muscle Staal and Cole off the puck? I think sometimes you need to match size for size and right now, with Lapierre and Metropolit, we don't have that option.

I'd much rather see a bigger guy like John Madden fill the 3rd line C position.

4Beliveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Yeah, I also see him as a RW. For me, a 3rd or 4th liner doesn't need creativity, but I just don't like the idea of having 2 smallish centres on our checking lines and Metropolit seems to have the 4th line job all wrapped up. Let's say we had made it past the first round and had to play against someone like Carolina. Who's gonna muscle Staal and Cole off the puck? I think sometimes you need to match size for size and right now, with Lapierre and Metropolit, we don't have that option.

I'd much rather see a bigger guy like John Madden fill the 3rd line C position.

Lapierre is 6 ft + and plays like a 6 ft+ guy

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Lapierre is 6 ft + and plays like a 6 ft+ guy
Yes, he's 6'2" but he's also under 200lbs. I get that he hits a lot but how often do you see him manhandling guys vs him getting pushed around. I love his heart and think he's an important part of the team but I wouldn't expect him to push Thornton, Malkin, Staal, Sundin, etc out of the slot. Would you?

4Beliveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:34 PM
MathMan

Lappy is a great third-line center. He's fast, he's physical, and most importantly, he keeps the other team from scoring. And as a bonus, he's excellent on faceoffs.

Offensive upside at this point is just gravy. His handedness (right) is also a plus.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Lapierre is a good 3rd line centre.
What Montreal needs is a 3rd and 4th line that brings energy, toughness, size and grit that can also be efficent defensively.

The first 2 lines could need more skill and one players with more size like Lecavalier, Getzlaf, Sundin, Kovalchuk...

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I sure hope that Lapierre is our third line center. When I look at the centers we have under contract, it's pretty shallow in depth with Plekanec now penciled in as our number one, followed by Lapierre, Metropolit, Chipchura and Maxwell. We need a true number one center and Lapierre can certainly pivot the third line!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
My interpretation of Lapierre's roles depends on how the team looks next season, if there is a lack of a market for a true # 1 centre to be aquired then I do see Lapierre playing in a third line role because there would be solid depth and guys would be where they should be, Saku on the 2nd line for instance. But, if there is a problem in that department then I can see Lang being retained or a very similar guy aquired while three offensive lines are roled, this is because there wouldn't be a centreman capable of carrying a #1 line for an entire season so the roster would be scoring by commity, similar to the avs after Fordsberg left. In this case Lapierre is on the 4th line because there wouldn't be that line capable of carrying the team through a rough patch so balance would be relied on more than 2 solid lines. I see it like this:
Option 1:
True #1
Koivu or Plekanec
Lapierre
Chipchura or Metropolit
Option #2
Koivu
Pleks
Lang
Lapierre
Where the first three are interchanged depending on who's hot.

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Lapierre is a great 3rd line center in a team that has a real 1st line (PPG players or close to) and a real 2nd line (~50 points). If your first two lines do not produce as such, I think a 30 points 3rd line center is not enough, in which case you need 3 offensive lines and Lapierre on the fourth.

But Lapierre is still young, he might turn into a 40 points guy, and if he could just be a bit more responsible in our zone he could definitely be one of the best 3rd line center.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
HellasLEAF
Coach Babcock :D

Lapierre really impressed. great player, lots of effort and passion and very underrated skill. he should def. be your 3rd line centre going forward. extend him if it hasn't been done already!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 05:38 AM
HABitual Fan

Lapierre was a 3rd line center by default. On a team that struggled he looked good, but the reality is that he lacks the defensive skills to be a shutdown center. Ideally his role is that of a 4th line energy guy

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:15 AM
JaymzB

Lappy definately looks to be the guy to anchor our 3rd line. I'd actually like to see him and Higgins play together, plus another winger other than Lats (who I feel is much better suited to a top 2 line position) to form a good shut down line with offensive abilities. Something akin to Nilan-Carbo-Gainey of the 80's.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Lappy definately looks to be the guy to anchor our 3rd line. I'd actually like to see him and Higgins play together, plus another winger other than Lats (who I feel is much better suited to a top 2 line position) to form a good shut down line with offensive abilities. Something akin to Nilan-Carbo-Gainey of the 80's.
Higgins - if he is still with the Habs next season - would be a great third liner, if he accepts it.

I agree with you about Lats playing on a second line down the road.

As for the third guy on the third line, I would try to sign Neil from Ottawa.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
If Saku is a no.1 center, then Lapierre is a no.2 center. If Saku is a no.2 center, then he is a third.

It all depends on what you have on your team. He showed during the playoffs and during the season that he was ready for more responsabilities.
I'm sorry, but even though he showed incredible improvement this season, he was next to non-existant in the playoffs, except when he got the stick to the head.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
firmin94

If we look at the players this season, IMO, Lapierre is the one who improved the most. His speed, toughness and implication in the game clearly earned him the 3rd line center spot.

Seeing how Higgins reacted when he was asked to play a more defensive role at the end of the season, putting him with Lapierre and someone else would be a great match.

firmin94 is offline   Reply With Quote