HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Broad And Early Offseason Poll

View Poll Results: Where Should Rangers Management Focus This Offseason?
Improve the Offense 104 86.67%
Improve the Defense 1 0.83%
A Little Bit of Both 15 12.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Buy low!!!!
Higgins Please!!

Hard-nosed forecheckers who can put the puck in the net are what this team needs. Higgins is exactly the type of player Gomez has had success with in the past. Antropov-Gomez-Higgins or Callahan-Gomez-Higgins would be a pretty good line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Sather should trade away cap space and picks to get them out of Salary Cap Hell, especially with the cap coming down. If he can somehow make trades without having to sacrifice draft picks, fantastic, but I think that's being unrealistic. He'll most likely have to "pay" someone to take a contract.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Sather should trade away cap space and picks to get them out of Salary Cap Hell, especially with the cap coming down. If he can somehow make trades without having to sacrifice draft picks, fantastic, but I think that's being unrealistic. He'll most likely have to "pay" someone to take a contract.
Has it been confirmed that the cap is coming down? I keep hearing about it...but what's the real deal?

And why does he have to "pay" anyone to take a contract when he can bury them in Hartford if need be?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Has it been confirmed that the cap is coming down? I keep hearing about it...but what's the real deal?

And why does he have to "pay" anyone to take a contract when he can bury them in Hartford if need be?
Because then who will sign in New York? You cant just bury a player every time they don't perform it will scare away many free agents. We have one of the most hostile crowds as it is (torwards players).

We may have the money but that doesnt make it ok.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:59 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Agreed, but its not like a lot of teams have the cap space to eat up.

Quote:

The cap will most likely stay flat in my experience.

You cannot bury a contract in the minors under this CBA. It would still count against the cap most likely.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Because then who will sign in New York? You cant just bury a player every time they don't perform it will scare away many free agents. We have one of the most hostile crowds as it is (torwards players).

We may have the money but that doesnt make it ok.
Every time they don't perform? I'm curious, how many players have we done this with already?

Old
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Agreed, but its not like a lot of teams have the cap space to eat up.

The cap will most likely stay flat in my experience..

I agree with that. I mean are they going to penalize teams that were close to the cap by lowering it on them? Doubtful.

Quote:
You cannot bury a contract in the minors under this CBA. It would still count against the cap most likely.
I'm pretty sure that isn't true...although I think there is a cap for the AHL too (someone correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Old
04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
I agree with that. I mean are they going to penalize teams that were close to the cap by lowering it on them? Doubtful.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true...although I think there is a cap for the AHL too (someone correct me if I'm mistaken.)
If the lower the cap and a team is over, the player salaries would be altered I think. And you made my point, you can't just bury a contract in the A because I believe there is a cap there too...

The Cap has to do with the health of the league. It has risen over 15 million since the 05-06 season, and If you asked me it is leading to inflamed contracts, which kill a league. It will probably stay flat or drop a little this season.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I always prefer to focus on the defense. Even if it means addition by subtraction--moving Redden if at all possible, maybe shipping out Rosie, whatever. Something about our defense MUST change, if nothing else than to give us the opportunity to fix the offensive woes.

And of course, fixing those offensive woes is of the utmost importance as well.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote