HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella Admits Mistake

Old
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Tortorella Admits Mistake

Quote:
My thing Ö itís a bad mistake by me. I regret it. I think I put the New York Ranger organization in an embarrassing situation. Iím embarrassed by it. I am an intense person, which is a positive, but it also turns into a negative sometimes, and that turned into a negative for us. And I regret it. I didnít want to talk about it the other day because I didnít want it to be more of a distraction than it needed to be. Was it a distraction? Of course it was. How much it played into that next game, I donít know, because I thought we played a good first period and I know I had capable coaches on that bench in Schoney.

ďIt canít happen. It canít happen. I preach discipline. I preach team concept. I am disciplined and I am a team-concept guy. I stepped out of bounds. I made a huge mistake. I made a huge mistake. Do I have warts? Youíre God damned right I do, as all players do. We all make mistakes. But in that situation I am the head coach of the New York Rangers. At the time that that progressed through the game Ö and Iíll be honest with you, I was protecting my players, at least I felt I was at that point in time, but I did not do it correctly. I stepped way out of bounds.Ē

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...m-breakup-day/

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Good for him for admitting it.

I dont understand how letting it linger for days makes it serve as less of a distraction, but whatever.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Nice to see a bit of humility in him.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Levitate

Pretty good apology there, and I think it's reasonable he didn't want to talk about it until after the series

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I know what I did.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Who didn't make a glaring mistake in this series?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Good for Tortorella.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Good to see him admit that. Better late than never.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
beastly115

I remember reading something about how the Rangers organization didn't want him talking about the incident.

Could that be why it's been so long to hear about it? I'm sure he's known for days now it was the wrong thing to do.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Still its inexcusable.

It is like if he cheated to win and then said he made a error in judgement - deeply sorry! In that case all forgotten and forgiven - you can stay on as a coach!

I think it was a sackable offense.

How does he face Avery or any other guy and stays credible. Avery: sorry coach I made serious error of judgement....will not happen again.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Still its inexcusable.

It is like if he cheated to win and then say he made a error in judgement.

I think it is a sackable offense.

How does he face Avery or any other guy and stays credible. Avery: sorry coach I made serious error of judgement....will not happen again.
Couldn't agree more. The Hockey Gods were out in force on this one between Avery being an idiot in game 4 and Torts in Game 5. We didn't deserve to win this series.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Levitate

how does he do it? Well he's the coach and he still has that power over the players. and if they decide they don't want to play for him, he'll get canned.

if they do play for him, then it's all forgotten. and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the players liked that Tortorella "stood up" for them

Old
04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
shoothepuck

This team has much bigger problems to address than Torts indescretions

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
The Rangers only have 1 problem and its that they spent the "star" money on guys that can't score. Give me $25 mill (Gomez, Redden, Drury, Rozy) and I can get two 80 point scorers, a #1 d man and a #3 dman... Torts is far from the problem and is still a much better coach then Renney in my opinion.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i love love love torts. but, he screwed the pooch big time for this team and possibly cost us the series with his stupidity.

im not a renney guy, never was. as most of you know by now, i wanted renney gone way before we let him go. i was at the top of the 'fire renney' list all season.

having said that, i think what torts did behind the bench was way worse than what sean avery did on the ice. torts benched sean fvor his undisciplined play- huge error at the time and mistake # 1 made by torts , and in essence torts was "benched" by the league for his actions- mistake #2 by torts.

both of those torts mistakes cost us dearly. he should NOT have benched avery. period. and he should not have lost control on the bench and freaked out on that fan. his benching of avery and his suspension distracted the team and cost us game 4 & 5. unfortunately, that was the series right there. going back to wash tied 3-3 meant we could play our hearts out- we did, and still lose game 7- we did.

i blame john tortorella for the 2 glaring mistakes he made in this series.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i love love love torts. but, he screwed the pooch big time for this team and possibly cost us the series with his stupidity.

im not a renney guy, never was. as most of you know by now, i wanted renney gone way before we let him go. i was at the top of the 'fire renney' list all season.

having said that, i think what torts did behind the bench was way worse than what sean avery did on the ice. torts benched sean fvor his undisciplined play- huge error at the time and mistake # 1 made by torts , and in essence torts was "benched" by the league for his actions- mistake #2 by torts.

both of those torts mistakes cost us dearly. he should NOT have benched avery. period. and he should not have lost control on the bench and freaked out on that fan. his benching of avery and his suspension distracted the team and cost us game 4 & 5. unfortunately, that was the series right there. going back to wash tied 3-3 meant we could play our hearts out- we did, and still lose game 7- we did.

I agree. The team just wasnt right in games 5 and 6. If they had played the previous 2 games with the same heart and tenacity in which they played game 7, we'd probably be talking about our matchup with Boston right now.

Old
04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

This post is spot on, but I'd like to add TWO MORE glaring errors, one hockey related, and one related to the incident. I say the two biggest things that swung the series to Washington were the bottle tossing and Brashear.

The hockey one was not having Colton Orr dressed in Game 6. Even if he wasn't producing anything, he's there to at least try to fire up the emotions after Betts got knocked out. The Rangers lost Game 6 when Blair Betts was taken off the ice, and they didn't respond with anything.

The incident related one is if you read the quote, the refs could have had the moron moved or ejected. That means the refs had to have heard the nonsense coming from behind the bench. Why didn't Torts allow the refs to quell the situation when security wouldn't? Now I think we know why Torts only got a game for something that should have been worth much more. The abuse was most likely noted in the game report.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Amen to that. Yes, what Torts did was wrong, but Sather's poor decisions and cap mismanagement will linger long after the embarrassment of Tort's throwing a water bottle at a fan. The best part of Carp's blog post was this: "Iíll go out on a limb and say, ĎDoes Glen Sather want to change this team?í Youíre damn right he does. He knows some change needs to be made.Ē Well, at least he finally realizes this team is flawed and needs a major shakeup.

Would they have won Games 5 & 6 if Avery played and Torts wasn't suspended? Possibly, but they also could have played their hearts out and lost 2-1 as in Game 7. This team has been woefully inconsistent and struggled to score all season, and those problems don't suddenly disappear in the playoffs.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Who didn't make a glaring mistake in this series?
Callahan

But seriously, he's one of the very few who didn't hurt his team, one way or another.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
FLYLine24*

Exactly what I had said....why would he want to keep talking about it right before game 7? But yet Torts was bashed quite a bit by some posters for not continuing to make it a distraction before the biggest game of the year.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Exactly what I had said....why would he want to keep talking about it right before game 7? But yet Torts was bashed quite a bit by some posters for not continuing to make it a distraction before the biggest game of the year.
I bashed him first and foremost for throwing a waterbottle into the crowd and trying to attack a fan with a stick during a playoff game.

The brashness in the subsequent interview was just icing on the stupidity cake.

Old
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I bashed him first and foremost for throwing a waterbottle into the crowd and trying to attack a fan with a stick during a playoff game.

The brashness in the subsequent interview was just icing on the stupidity cake.
Thats one thing, but people were bashing him for not admitting what he did was wrong at that time when Brooks was trying to bait him into a conversation that didn't need to happen at that point.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Levitate

I don't think he actually tried to attack a fan with a stick

Old
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
The Rangers only have 1 problem and its that they spent the "star" money on guys that can't score. Give me $25 mill (Gomez, Redden, Drury, Rozy) and I can get two 80 point scorers, a #1 d man and a #3 dman... Torts is far from the problem and is still a much better coach then Renney in my opinion.
haha what? i think your post proves we have much more than 1 problem

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
The Rangers only have 1 problem and its that they spent the "star" money on guys that can't score. Give me $25 mill (Gomez, Redden, Drury, Rozy) and I can get two 80 point scorers, a #1 d man and a #3 dman...
Yea...and then of course there's the actual matter of winning something...

Ask the Flyers how great their 90 point man, Briere, has worked out? Or their 80 point men, Richards and Carter? You can find them on the golf course.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote