HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter has a separated right shoulder; no surgery needed

Old
04-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I saw somewhere on the boards that something i Finland was released saying Timonen was playing with a concussion? I believe it was a Flyers fan who said it.

Edit 2: Here is the original post where I heard about it

Edit 1:
Google Translation

Published: 26.04. at 13:15

NHL's games in the drop down fallen Philadelphia Star defenseman Kimmo Timonen will not arrive to strengthen the lion rear lines of the Swiss World Cup. He received a mild aivotärähdyksen Pittsburgh-match series, and suffers from post-trauma symptoms. Philadelphia rear lines of another Finnish kit Lasse Kukkonen in the World Cup is still open.
The lion's share valmennusjohto also informed the team to continue the current maalivahtikolmikollaan. Thus, the Philadelphia Antero Niittymäki does not attend the World Cup.

aivotärähdyksen=Aivotärähdys = concussion according to a online Finnish-English dictionary
I blame that vicious, borderline-legal hit he took behind the net.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
theklatter26*

Carter missing that empty net was the turning point of the series. Right then and there i knew the Pens were gonna win the series.. You need puck luck like that to get far in the playoffs and i dont know why Philly seems to never get any puck luck like that. Huge letdown. The boys gotta rehab and reshape themselves for next season but its gonna be a tough and emotional summer knowing they matched the play of the Pens all series long and lost.

theklatter26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by theklatter26 View Post
Carter missing that empty net was the turning point of the series. Right then and there i knew the Pens were gonna win the series.. You need puck luck like that to get far in the playoffs and i dont know why Philly seems to never get any puck luck like that. Huge letdown. The boys gotta rehab and reshape themselves for next season but its gonna be a tough and emotional summer knowing they matched the play of the Pens all series long and lost.
lol, wasnt that in game 2? Usually a turning point is when it takes a turn for the worse. After that game the series tilted towards the flyers side.

IMO there were 2 turning points in the series. The first was when the flyers jumped out to that 2-0 lead in game 3 and pitt tied it at 2-2 and the flyers POURED it on and opened it up to a 5-2 lead.

The seconds turning point to me was not the fight, a fight that cote won cannot IMO turn the game to the Pens, thats just when the Flyers happened to start playing terrible, I think it was more that they got too comfortable with their lead. I think it was just bad timing that they happened to score like 15 seconds after the fight.

To me the 2nd turning point was when they were up 3-0 early in the 2nd in game 6 and then the pens scored 2 quick goals and all the sudden it was the Pens game. 1 goal off a weird scrum in front and another off a batted puck and all the sudden Pitt had ALL the momentum.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:06 AM
theklatter26*

u make good points but i think that if Carter had scored that goal in game2, Flyers woulda definately won that game and that woulda made the series 1-1 as opposed to 2-0coming home. being down 2-0 in a series is ovbiously tough and many teams in their entire history havent come back to win a series... I guess i said it was the turning point because for me, i felt that at that moment the Flyers were just not gonna win the series no matter what.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
Damn man, I messed up my shoulder a few times and could barely make a decent pass. Much respect to you for playing through it
Like I said before, some shoulder separations are much more severe than others. If he played through his and wasnt very bothered by it, he either had no separations at all and is lying or it was very mild. The strength in your shoulder is significantly diminished, its not just about playing through pain. If the strength isnt there in the shoulder to make a pass it doesnt matter how much will you have to pass, you cant pass.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
well the Carter injury is no excuse for losing games 1 & 2, since it happened in game 3. But is it really any surprise Mike Richards had 2 busted up shoulders? He takes runs at players almost every shift. That's not a knock on his style of play, but that will wear any player down after awhile. Except Ovechkin apparently....

Last edited by SenatorArmy: 05-01-2009 at 12:13 AM.
SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
u make good points but i think that if Carter had scored that goal in game2, Flyers woulda definately won that game and that woulda made the series 1-1 as opposed to 2-0coming home. being down 2-0 in a series is ovbiously tough and many teams in their entire history havent come back to win a series... I guess i said it was the turning point because for me, i felt that at that moment the Flyers were just not gonna win the series no matter what.
I agree it was for sure the turning point of the game but at the time that Carter screwed up we didnt have the momentum in the series, maybe that game, but not the series.

ps. welcome to the boards.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:13 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The entire team sucked in Game 1 and Carter had a pretty good Game 2, except that he'll remember 'the save' for the rest of his life.

He may not get a pass for his play from Game 3 onwards, but the type of injury he sustained affected the most valuable part of his game: his shot. He definitely looked lazy out there; he normally does. What separates him most nights is that he can find times here or there to create chances with his shot. He didn't in this series.

Carter had a bad series, but I'm happy to hear that it was an injury that (probably) hampered his effectiveness.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:21 AM
theklatter26*

thanks Cannon.

Yeah i guess we can reminisce about the series and Carters play as much as we want.. fact is, they lost and yes, Carter didn't play up to his potential. This team is still very young and losses like these will help in the long-run by using the experience. I think with a few tweeks (big question in netminding though), the Flyers can turn into one of the Cup contenders of the league. Hopefully by next season too.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
this is just a bs excuse that will give carter a pass that he doesnt deserve...i have played with a separated shoulder and yeah it hurts like a ***** but it doesnt affect play very much at all...he showed me very little this post season, which in turn showed me a lot about him

call me an idiot, and im sure you will, but i feel like carter is the guy who will come up short every year but will always have that very "convenient" excuse - just my opinon, i get that feeling from jeff, and believe me i hope i am 100% wrong

ps this is my last post for the summer possibly ever so it was nice talking hockey with you all and i enjoyed reading this board for the last few years...thanks for making it fun! .....getting out just before i get grilled for ripping jeff

GO FLYERS
**** PITTSBURGH!!!
I think it is too early to say that...after all, the guy is one of the all time leaders in goals during the world junior championships (tied with Lindros and Tavares) He has proven to show up when it counts before.

If this happens again next year though, then we can start thinking that.

They were overmatched, outcoached and outworked the majority of the series, plus some unfortunately injuries. Simple as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I don't get this attitude at all. Richards had two busted shoulders but played with all the heart and desire he usually does. He was a physical force and the leading scorer (tied). Carter was playing with a busted shoulder for 3.5 out of 6 games, yet was invisible for all of them, on top of playing like a giant vagina. Richards was highly visible, but maybe not as effective as he can be; Carter was just plain invisible.
Good post. While I dont disagree with your point, this is something that will prob always be the case...Carter is one of those guys that seems to live off of his physical ability, Richards is a guy that has limited physical ability but works his butt off to get more out of himself than he really should.

Quote:
Ummm, they didnt match the pens play all series long, that is why they lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The entire team sucked in Game 1 and Carter had a pretty good Game 2, except that he'll remember 'the save' for the rest of his life.

He may not get a pass for his play from Game 3 onwards, but the type of injury he sustained affected the most valuable part of his game: his shot. He definitely looked lazy out there; he normally does. What separates him most nights is that he can find times here or there to create chances with his shot. He didn't in this series.

Carter had a bad series, but I'm happy to hear that it was an injury that (probably) hampered his effectiveness.
I am sure the injury didnt help, but I agree with others in that he could have played a little harder. Here in lies the problem with a one dimensional player, if the shoulder was killing his shot, he could have tried to be beter in other areas like setting up plays, unfortunately he doesnt do that very well

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am sure the injury didnt help, but I agree with others in that he could have played a little harder. Here in lies the problem with a one dimensional player, if the shoulder was killing his shot, he could have tried to be beter in other areas like setting up plays, unfortunately he doesnt do that very well
He could have played harder, sure. Carter hasn't rounded out his game enough to be a noticeable effective presence if he's not putting points up, though. He's not physical, he sucks in the faceoff circle and he doesn't 'hustle' on the back check. When you take away his weapon, he's not going to look like he's doing anything.

When the Flyers were line matching at home, his line kept Crosby at bay on even strength. Hopefully as he matures, he can produce consistently, but when he's not scoring, he'll always take heat... as it should be. Unfortunately, in this series, Carter was never really an offensive threat. Defensively, though, I didn't have much to complain about. His line limited the Pens' chances and had the cleanest breakouts. They also seemed to spend less time in the defensive zone than the other top two lines.

All I'm trying to say in my rambling post is that Carter wasn't as useless as some are painting in this thread. He had a bad series, but he did do some things well.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-01-2009 at 12:59 AM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Carter is this Flyers era's Rick MacLeish, who used to get booed while averaging over 30 goals a year for nine seasons. His style of play made him look like an Ice Capades performer when compared game in and game out to that of Bobby Clarke.

Check his playoffs during the two Cup seasons, wow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_MacLeish

Carter will likely always look delicate and lazy next to Richards.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:08 AM
UseYourAllusion

I think the thing which frustrates me most with Carter is his size, he could be a monster if he'd just throw that weight around.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:18 AM
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Same thing in Ottawa with Spezza

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:43 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Jones had a concussion that made him forget how to play defense.
I think that would actually do more good then harm if Jones got amnesia and forgot everything he thinks he knows about playing defense.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Ouch, still healthy for that hell of a miss in game 2...

Claude28Giroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:08 AM
BringBackStevens

I'm pretty disappointed in our fanbase's ripping of Carter. People always need someone to blame, and for some reason when Carter isn't quite going it's because he's lazy and doesn't care

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:21 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm pretty disappointed in our fanbase's ripping of Carter. People always need someone to blame, and for some reason when Carter isn't quite going it's because he's lazy and doesn't care
Someone's gotta take the fall for a first round exit like that. Expectations were very high going into this season and it seems like one of the principle reasons that they got booted in the first round was because they weren't hungry enough. Personally that screams coaching issues to me, so I put most of the blame on Stevens. However, you can't excuse the players either and Carter looked to be part of the problem.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:28 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Someone's gotta take the fall for a first round exit like that. Expectations were very high going into this season and it seems like one of the principle reasons that they got booted in the first round was because they weren't hungry enough. Personally that screams coaching issues to me, so I put most of the blame on Stevens. However, you can't excuse the players either and Carter looked to be part of the problem.
I just don't see it like that at all. Aside from the 2nd half of that awful game 6, the team competed very well and was literally inches from going into game 6 with a 3-2 lead. It's hockey, and when you are playing a team as good as the Penguins, it's not always all in your control. We could have won if some more things were done right, but we also could have won if just a few things bounced a different way. That's hockey. I didn't see heartless play in the least

And yeah. If the team, you know, not one or two guys, but everyone comes out like they did in that game 6 collapse, maybe we should be looking at the guy in charge, not Carter.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:29 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
Ouch, still healthy for that hell of a miss in game 2...
Bad positioning, nothing more. If he stops in front of the net like he is supposed to, he scores. But instead he skates behind the goal line and has to reach just to get the puck on his stick, and fires from an odd angle

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
BigBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Like I said before, some shoulder separations are much more severe than others. If he played through his and wasnt very bothered by it, he either had no separations at all and is lying or it was very mild. The strength in your shoulder is significantly diminished, its not just about playing through pain. If the strength isnt there in the shoulder to make a pass it doesnt matter how much will you have to pass, you cant pass.
Players play all the time with separations, pretty common. im playing with one guy now shoulder is so disjointed it looks like bone is going to rip thru skin any second and his shoulder pads actually sit crooked its so severe. He is getting it fixed this summer and we play for Nothing!

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
well the Carter injury is no excuse for losing games 1 & 2, since it happened in game 3.
Thanks.....Did the SEn's win there first round this year?

Quote:
But is it really any surprise Mike Richards had 2 busted up shoulders? He takes runs at players almost every shift.
Watching Spezza play, you might not understand this whole cncept, but it is called "hitting" and "giving effort." It is much different then taking runs.

Quote:
That's not a knock on his style of play, but that will wear any player down after awhile. Except Ovechkin apparently....
It's not a knock on his style of play, because....its not his style of play.....

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Players play all the time with separations, pretty common. im playing with one guy now shoulder is so disjointed it looks like bone is going to rip thru skin any second and his shoulder pads actually sit crooked its so severe. He is getting it fixed this summer and we play for Nothing!
Well Carter did play through the separation. Your friend isnt playing in the NHL, your beer league or wherever you play isnt the same as the NHL playoffs. He relies on his shot and with a shoulder separation it obviously isnt as effective.

By the way, dislocations and separations are different. A dislocations will cause the shoulder to pop out of the joint and even when it pops back in it can look pretty nasty, like your friends. A separated shoulder a lot of times you cant even see. Its when the ligaments that hold your shoulder and collarbone together tear apart. If you dont have ligaments, no matter how hard you try or how much you want to play, you just cant. Obviously there are more sever separations depending on how bad of a tear it is but to just assume every shoulder injury is the same is incorrect. I had multiple dislocations and separations throughout college and some I could play through, others I simply couldnt lift my arm.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
whitesox_2000_22*

I love how everyone forgets how he played last year in the playoffs, would of been out first round not for him....****ing homo's, try shooting lasers with one arm thats his game....love the beer league comments though haha played through a seperated shoulder haha why are you not under contract then dumbass?

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I separated my right shoulder and couldn't even get my skates unlaced on my own. Hard to imagine trying it with professionals. Thanks for the effort Jeff, it didn't go unnoticed by most of us.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote