HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where to find leagues/pickups in NYC/LI area?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
  #1
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Where to find leagues/pickups in NYC/LI area?

With all the extra time I have now while looking for a job again () I really want to get back into playing hockey. Problem is, last time I played was about 6-7 years ago which was roller. I think it would be fair to say that by now, I'm pretty bad.

I'm trying to get back into it but really don't know where to look (ice or roller). I know there are a couple ice rinks (Chelsea Piers and some in LI) with games and leagues, but that is way above my level. Same with the Roller games around Queens.

Anyone aware of any "back to the basics" type games or leagues. I'm in my mid-20s as well.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
  #2
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
With all the extra time I have now while looking for a job again () I really want to get back into playing hockey. Problem is, last time I played was about 6-7 years ago which was roller. I think it would be fair to say that by now, I'm pretty bad.

I'm trying to get back into it but really don't know where to look (ice or roller). I know there are a couple ice rinks (Chelsea Piers and some in LI) with games and leagues, but that is way above my level. Same with the Roller games around Queens.

Anyone aware of any "back to the basics" type games or leagues. I'm in my mid-20s as well.
Not at all, Chelsea literally has leagues for every level. Anywhere from beginners who can barely skate, up to the elite where you can see retired pros and collegiate level players. Just show up on evaluation day and they'll find you somewhere to play. That's what I'm doing, but it's decently high $$$. I might go somewhere else, but I have to check other options out first.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:04 PM
  #3
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Not at all, Chelsea literally has leagues for every level. Anywhere from beginners who can barely skate, up to the elite where you can see retired pros and collegiate level players. Just show up on evaluation day and they'll find you somewhere to play. That's what I'm doing, but it's decently high $$$. I might go somewhere else, but I have to check other options out first.
Oh really, I thought it was mostly for the more skilled players. I guess I will check that out. Are there any in LI (Nassau) that you are familiar with as well?

Edit: Does look to be up there in cost. Around $8,500 per team.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
  #4
hockeygoon15
Registered User
 
hockeygoon15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Check this place out:

http://www.islandicehockey.com/

I've played for a couple of their teams. They have some "less talented" divisions (trust me, I didn't play for 7 years and was able to jump right in). It's $20 per game if you choose to play pickup. Call the main office and let them know you're looking to play and they'll more often than not find a team that is short on players for you to jump on.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
  #5
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
Check this place out:

http://www.islandicehockey.com/
Sounds great, thanks a lot! I'll def. check that out.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
  #6
xstartxtodayx
 
xstartxtodayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
Check this place out:

http://www.islandicehockey.com/

I've played for a couple of their teams. They have some "less talented" divisions (trust me, I didn't play for 7 years and was able to jump right in). It's $20 per game if you choose to play pickup. Call the main office and let them know you're looking to play and they'll more often than not find a team that is short on players for you to jump on.

I agree. Island Ice Hockey (aka Midnight Hockey) as well as Hockey long Island are both well run adult leagues on Long Island (most of the rinks on LI are located in Nassau and the offer leagues that try to cater to more eastern players such as myself). They both offer leagues all the way down to D and E level and you shouldn't have any problems keeping up.

On another note, you should hit up a few open hockey nights in the meantime. Syosset offers open hockey on Sun, Tues, and Thurs nights. Dix Hills (Suffolk) has a Friday night slot, and I think Long Beach may have a session as well but not sure when.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
  #7
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
hey i need a goalie for my summer league at ice hutch in westchester, ny if your a goalie in the area pm me!

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
  #8
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
hey i need a goalie for my summer league at ice hutch in westchester, ny if your a goalie in the area pm me!
A little OT, But I'm living in the BX for the next year and if you need an extra winger for a game I'm available. I play 7A in Chelsea for reference (Mostly guys who played in HS it seems, but not much after).

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
  #9
Parisex9
Registered User
 
Parisex9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Parisex9
Skate Safe-- Long island Roller

Ice Works-- Ice (obviously)


im completely new to hockey and people are better but i am alright playing with them. lol

Parisex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:31 PM
  #10
SirJW
Registered User
 
SirJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The LA
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Check here:
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...LPage&id=28429

http://islanders.nhl.com/community2/hockeylinks.htm

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...jd_com_njrinks

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.