HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whats your shootout/breakaway move?

Old
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
noobman

vCash: 500
I've been going to hockey school for a while and I've finally found a way to thread the puck between my legs and kick it back on my stick. I"m trying that on my next breakaway

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
SiouxPride

For me, usually
Forehand, fake shot, backhand slide, backhand top shelf.. if that makes sense.

or i do the Kovalchuk and wait the goalie then snipe it top shelf.

or.. i miss the net compeltley..

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:24 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I've been going to hockey school for a while and I've finally found a way to thread the puck between my legs and kick it back on my stick. I"m trying that on my next breakaway
It's pretty much a useless move, I can do it but honestly even horsing around in practice you need so much to go right to get a scoring chance off of it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 04:05 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
A fake slapshot to the Thomas Vanek "Around-The-World(Puck)" deke, topshelf glove side.

EndlessNameless9319 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
A fake slapshot to the Thomas Vanek "Around-The-World(Puck)" deke, topshelf glove side.

ACTUALLY, M Y LATEST BREAKAWAY MOVE WAS THIS, LAST NIGHT !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EXss1qKUZM

Old
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Dr Acula

Keeping it simple works the best. My favorites are fake shot forehand to backhand top shelf, or throw a head/shoulder fake, wait for the goalie to open up then snipe one on him. It's simple and effective, it works for me about 3/4 of the time.

If I got a little more time I can do the Datsyuk or Forsberg move, those two also works very well.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:55 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I either do the Wolski (show forehand, fake to the backhand, and then pull it back forehand and stuff it in) or a variation of Datsyuk's deke, though instead of going to the right I go to the left (I still shoot left though).

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
I either do the Wolski (show forehand, fake to the backhand, and then pull it back forehand and stuff it in) or a variation of Datsyuk's deke, though instead of going to the right I go to the left (I still shoot left though).

I tried this yesterday on a penalty shot, and hit the crossbar...

EndlessNameless9319 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
I've done that in my free time on inlines, but don't have the balls, or skills, to try it for real, and on ice.

I played my second pickup ice game this past Sunday. Was pressuring a guy at the point in our zone when he took a shot. Put my shins together, blocked it, and it bounced out into the neutral zone. Hustled my ass off and found myself on a breakaway, straight up the middle.

Around the hash marks, I glanced up and it looked like the goalie was committing for the poke check. Puck was on my forehand (lefty shot), so I skated in a little going towards the right post, deked once to my right, brought it back to my left on the backhand, drew it back a little, and on the forehand, buried it past his blocker against the grain with a fade away shot.

I'm a d-man, so I don't have any set moves in mind; I just see what I'm given and try to make it work. In this case, I saw the goalie made the mistake of making the first move, and adjusted accordingly.

Funny thing is, i do it on ice lots, its way easier imo
I cant do it for inline, i usually get tripepd up by the puck when i try
any help ?

Old
05-02-2009, 03:31 PM
NJDevs430

Get stripped of the puck.
Lose an edge.
Slide into the boards.

Haven't taken any shootouts, yet (see above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajic View Post
For me, usually
Forehand, fake shot, backhand slide, backhand top shelf...
I'll try this next time.

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
MetropolisPt31

I'll chime in with a few tips from a goalie's perspective:

1. Keep skating as long as possible. Gliding is a dead giveaway that a move is coming. Also, faking while gliding too long is not going to work on good goalies who read plays well. If you stop skating and start gliding, do your moves as soon as possible.

2. Shoot. If you have a good shot, uncork one while skating with a full head of steam. You'll have a good chance as long as you keep skating and the goalie is moving his feet.

3. Keep the puck out very wide or far ahead of you. This may trigger the goalie to attempt a pokecheck.

4. In a shootout (or breakaway where you have lots of time), try coming in at an angle. Getting the goalie to move sideways opens up lots of holes to shoot at.

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:04 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
I tried this yesterday on a penalty shot, and hit the crossbar...
It's a fun little move though. Personally I just like that fake shot that Datsyuk is able to do, the goalies bit so hard on it, I've been working on getting that part down and then going for whatever is open.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
deanosaur

I score.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Wisent

I suck at deking but have a fairly decent wrister. So I just shoot.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

My latest move... fake shot, then quickly shoot low, far side. Then run into the post and pull a muscle in your back. Works every time.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
It's pretty much a useless move, I can do it but honestly even horsing around in practice you need so much to go right to get a scoring chance off of it.
I find this move the most effective on trying to break out though. You get a pass that is far behind you and you can redirect it to inside your skate with your stick so you keep going without having to slow down at all.

It is much easier to do on ice though. Roller pucks have so muhc friction that ice makes it just go effortlessly . I can do the Datsyuk backhand toe drag thing on ice pretty well but can hardly do it when I play roller.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
190Octane

Close my eyes and shoot, my hands are harder than concrete.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
OrrNumber4

Either go in with all my speed and just try and stuff it in, or slow down and roof it if the goalie is a more tentative one. If you slow down very fast, this can be a very effective move as the goalie usually drops too fast. My move against top goalies is to deke a lot. I just try and drag it back in forth and then stuff it in the net with a near- or total- extenstion of my arm(s). This has a lower percentage than the others but some goalies just don't bite on the other two.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Everest

Left-handed shooter. I like to hold the puck on the left side of my body...(shooting position) and either:

A) Go low, stick side...off the post and in from anywhere between 5-15 feet range...depending on how the puck feels as I push it on the ice..(the more snow...the harder to get a good shot)

B) If the goalie is locking in...I will pump my leg (shot fake) and then make a HARD lunge to my RIGHT and try to get the goalie going away from the stick side post...try to reach back across him and chip into the stick side as the goalie goes to my right.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^
As long as you PRACTICE making quick release/accurate shots (focus on shaving the inside of that stick side goal-post) and don't over handle the puck when your coming in...this is pretty much the time-tested/fail-safe method you MUST use in order to convert a HIGH % of breakaways coming straight in on the goalie!!!

Breaking in off the wings is a different philosohpy...which requires more agility/patience/hands...but basically I think what you want to do..is get the goalie moving acorss the crease and SLOW your momentum down just enough so that you can still make an 'across your body' shot...as he goes down. Its tricky...but if you practice making sharp angle shots into the top of the net...you will have good success.

I pretty much EXPECT to score on any 1on1 with the goalie...even if ther eis some back checking attempts.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
FLYLine24*

Come in with speed, drop the shoulder, fake forehand shot with leg kick and all toward the left side of the net....goalie bites 9 outta 10 times on that, then score on the backhand in the open side of the net.

Over the past 3 years i've done this move in 2 penalty shots, and about 15 shootouts.....goalie stopped me once, and the other time i just messed up putting it into the open part of the net.

Such a simple move that works almost all the time.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Come in with speed, drop the shoulder, fake forehand shot with leg kick and all toward the left side of the net....goalie bites 9 outta 10 times on that, then score on the backhand in the open side of the net.

Over the past 3 years i've done this move in 2 penalty shots, and about 15 shootouts.....goalie stopped me once, and the other time i just messed up putting it into the open part of the net.

Such a simple move that works almost all the time.

Between 10-16 yrs. old that was pretty much all I knew...but as I got older and played higher and higher levels of goaltenders...they started to eat up back hands...to the point where I rarely use it any more...you must have a hellified back hand or your shooting on weak goalies?

Old
05-07-2009, 05:16 PM
shotty

commit to backhand heading toward left post, when goalie bites, i drag the puck back a little in the direction of the right faceoff circle and snap to wherever's got the most net exposed. if the goalie doesn't bite before i run out of room/speed/time/control, i go hard five-hole.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Between 10-16 yrs. old that was pretty much all I knew...but as I got older and played higher and higher levels of goaltenders...they started to eat up back hands...to the point where I rarely use it any more...you must have a hellified back hand or your shooting on weak goalies?
I play in the top 2 levels in the rink and the top level is mostly ex college players (im not talking all D1(maybe 2-3 per team), but guys who know how to play good hockey). If I come in with enough speed, and can fake them with the shot like im shooting to the left side of the net, they bite. Which leaves room between the right post and their pad to slide the puck in.

All about the fake, i show them shot the entire time.

Everyone in the top level is about 22-30 as well. Isnt an old timer league either haha.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I play in the top 2 levels in the rink and the top level is mostly ex college players (im not talking all D1(maybe 2-3 per team), but guys who know how to play good hockey). If I come in with enough speed, and can fake them with the shot like im shooting to the left side of the net, they bite. Which leaves room between the right post and their pad to slide the puck in.

All about the fake, i show them shot the entire time.

Everyone in the top level is about 22-30 as well. Isnt an old timer league either haha.
Ya...its an old school move...(you shoot left, yes?). Like I said...it used to be a favorite of mine...nowadays though...I find that the transition from my forehand to my backhand either A) Takes too long and the goalie gets across...leaving me with NOTHING...or...B) The puck will all too often roll up on me or skip as I pull it across and PLUS...there is always the threat of a poke check anytime you take the puck scross the front of your body.

I guess its still a good move to use...but there are too many things that can go wrong IMO.

EDIT: LOL...now Im in your head and your NEVER going to score with it anymore!

Old
05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
bluumax

pick my spot, nothin flashy needed, usually bottom left or right, but when u get em up high they start lookin good.

did try an omark style shot last night but cudnt get the chip right

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote