HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

vapor vs supreme skates

Old
04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
joeydzzle

vCash: 500
vapor vs supreme skates

so this is my second season playing hockey. The last time i played i was using some cheap supremes that i bought for $15 cheap but were a size too big. with those i was able to stop and pivot relatively easy. Since then, i bought xxii vapors that fit me a lot better but i'm having a hard time stopping and pivoting because of the forward lean. Today was my first game and i got really frustrating not being able to stop as easy as i used to.

so... should i cough up the $$ and go back to supremes or should i tough it out and get used to these vapors?

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

You can get used to them, or you can take them to a sharpener and tell them to profile the blade to a more neutral stance. It's not a matter of the skate, it's about how the blade is sharpened.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:38 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You can get used to them, or you can take them to a sharpener and tell them to profile the blade to a more neutral stance. It's not a matter of the skate, it's about how the blade is sharpened.
try getting your skates profiled to 25/50, if you are a size 9.5 (skate size) or better.
if you are a size 9 or below have them profiled to 25/40.

that will give you a slight lean forward that you will want for faster takeoffs forward, but back enough to where you can skate backwards well.

I have been skating 25/50 for a year and I'm having my blades mover forwards a bit more soon.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
joeydzzle

25/50?? I assume that the guy that's going to sharpen my skates knows what that is but I have no idea.

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yep eggsactly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
25/50?? I assume that the guy that's going to sharpen my skates knows what that is but I have no idea.
At least you hope so...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
vivianmb

i just bought vapor 22 also. i had supreme 7000 for my last 3 pairs(about 7 years).
i found the vapors are flatter..i own my own sharpening machine, and i have really had to take a lot off the front of the blade with these skates...a lot more than with any other new blade.
i also noticed that the vapor size 7 fits me but in supremes i was always size 7.5(same width).

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Saved*

I just bought a pair of Vapor XXIX's to replace my mid-range Reebok's. Do Reebok and Nike Bauer/Bauer use the same pitch, or will there be a difference? I have a practice tonight, but I also play a game this weekend. I'm hoping to break them in enough to use them for my game, but I'm not too sure if that is possible. What should I expect from changing from say an RBK 4-5K to the Bauer XXIX?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Hockeyfan68

Anybody here a big guy like me (6ft 4in 235lbs)?

I need info on Bauer Vapor or Supreme for big guys .... meaning the cheaper skates have a problem with the hell seperating on heavy guys.

Any stories about your Vapoer or Supremem skate? If so what model do you have?

I don't want to go spend $600 on a skate for cripes sakes is my point but I need something sturdy that won't give out in the heel like the cheaper ones do.

Any models that have worked well for you and you are heavy AND they are relatively affordable around $300?

I've been eyeballing a pair of vapor XXVs ... good or not for a big dude? They haddem for about $250 US

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Anybody here a big guy like me (6ft 4in 235lbs)?

I need info on Bauer Vapor or Supreme for big guys .... meaning the cheaper skates have a problem with the hell seperating on heavy guys.

Any stories about your Vapoer or Supremem skate? If so what model do you have?

I don't want to go spend $600 on a skate for cripes sakes is my point but I need something sturdy that won't give out in the heel like the cheaper ones do.

Any models that have worked well for you and you are heavy AND they are relatively affordable around $300?

I've been eyeballing a pair of vapor XXVs ... good or not for a big dude? They haddem for about $250 US
I'm 6 ft 200 lbs I skate on a pro return vapor XXX (A year now) with no issues.

The vapor XXX (30) is cheep now and it's an elite level skate. Not a current model but a good quality skate. As I understand it if your foot is widder than a EE you ought to look at the supreme line.

I have a E heal but a EEEE ball of my foot. (Duck feet hole the webbing) so I got the vapors and had the front pushed open a bit because the supreme heal cup was a bit sloppy.

I will always get a new or used pro return skate before buying a lesser skate. I pulled a groin when I first started playing hockey because the boot broke down because of my awesome skating power and fat arse.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I'm 6 ft 200 lbs I skate on a pro return vapor XXX (A year now) with no issues.

The vapor XXX (30) is cheep now and it's an elite level skate. Not a current model but a good quality skate. As I understand it if your foot is widder than a EE you ought to look at the supreme line.

I have a E heal but a EEEE ball of my foot. (Duck feet hole the webbing) so I got the vapors and had the front pushed open a bit because the supreme heal cup was a bit sloppy.

I will always get a new or used pro return skate before buying a lesser skate. I pulled a groin when I first started playing hockey because the boot broke down because of my awesome skating power and fat arse.
Thanks for the info ... I will keep that model in mind for sure. I hate buying new gear .... hate it.

I wear a standard D width thankfully ... I definitely want a "good" skate without spending a mortgage payment haha.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:11 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
You gotta try on the skates. The Vapor XX and XXX line skates, didn't fit me at all. I didn't even have to stand in them to know they wouldn't work. The Vapor XXXX was do-able for me, a little deeper and wider in the toebox. The Vapor X:60 is deeper than the XXXX.

The Supremes have two current fits in the line. The one75 is shallower and narrower than the one95s. The one95s are deeper and wider in the forefoot and heel than the Vapors.

The Flexlites are slightly wider than the one95 and about as deep, maybe a little deeper. They fit kinda like the S15s.

You gotta go with the skates that fit you the best, I'm lucky because the one95s fit me the best... and the technology is incredible in them. I wish they were lower cut though.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
You gotta try on the skates. The Vapor XX and XXX line skates, didn't fit me at all. I didn't even have to stand in them to know they wouldn't work. The Vapor XXXX was do-able for me, a little deeper and wider in the toebox. The Vapor X:60 is deeper than the XXXX.

The Supremes have two current fits in the line. The one75 is shallower and narrower than the one95s. The one95s are deeper and wider in the forefoot and heel than the Vapors.

The Flexlites are slightly wider than the one95 and about as deep, maybe a little deeper. They fit kinda like the S15s.

You gotta go with the skates that fit you the best, I'm lucky because the one95s fit me the best... and the technology is incredible in them. I wish they were lower cut though.
Well like I posted about above I only care about what skate will hold together for my body weight. The fit itself is secondary until I choose what skate i even want to get. The post above also asks for a decent skate that won't break the bank.

I'm sure most $600 skates would be perfect but i am not spending that much and the medium line skates are not as well made structure strength wise for big guys.

Thanks for your answer though anyway.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:43 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Skate fit is the most important, it really is. After that, you can find the place in the line that best suits your needs. I wouldn't trust the one75 to hold up well but every other high-end skate in NBH/Bauer's line should hold up fine for your weight.

Stay away from Easton.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Skate fit is the most important, it really is.
I know that already ... been playing hockey for 35 years.

I wasn't asking about that though was my point.

Old
05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
I know that already ... been playing hockey for 35 years.

I wasn't asking about that though was my point.
i'm 214 pounds and i found the 7000's fine,and our local sports store still has a few pairs of them . if you can find those i'd try them. i'm still not comfy with the vapor22. and they are about as expensive as i'll go.($249). i don't know why these companies feel the need to change things like fit.i refuse to give up 4 days pay for skates. call me cheap ..whatever.
hey if you live in the states...check www.peranishockeyworld.com
after you find what you want. they usually have back models in stock.
www.cyclonetaylor.com may also have some older models.l

Old
05-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i'm 214 pounds and i found the 7000's fine,and our local sports store still has a few pairs of them . if you can find those i'd try them. i'm still not comfy with the vapor22. and they are about as expensive as i'll go.($249). i don't know why these companies feel the need to change things like fit.i refuse to give up 4 days pay for skates. call me cheap ..whatever.
hey if you live in the states...check www.peranishockeyworld.com
after you find what you want. they usually have back models in stock.
www.cyclonetaylor.com may also have some older models.l
Thanks for the info ... I've store hopped at 4 stores here and have looked at and tried on a few pair. i have not had a hard time with any skate except CCM skates. They seem to be different in sizing than bauer which I knew already but I was surprised at how much different.

7000s huh .... interesting. I will keep an eye out and try them on in a store if I see some. Yeah I live in the states and am checking out those links, your link for PeraniS is wrong somehow so I Googled it. A link off of that site went to their ice hockey site http://www.hockeyworld.com

I am looking at some Vapor 6 2002 model leftovers for $99! I wear those now and would love a second pair. THANKS!

Old
05-02-2009, 04:54 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i just bought vapor 22 also. i had supreme 7000 for my last 3 pairs(about 7 years).
i found the vapors are flatter..i own my own sharpening machine, and i have really had to take a lot off the front of the blade with these skates...a lot more than with any other new blade.
i also noticed that the vapor size 7 fits me but in supremes i was always size 7.5(same width).
Whoa!!! Exactly the same for me, my last pair of skates were Micron Mega 10-90's and I wore a 7.5D, yet I just bought a pair of Bauer Vapor 25's and I wear a size 7D and my first time on the ice with them I felt like I was on my heels.

Now my previous skates had a custom radius/profiling; but it's been too long for me to remember what it was. I don't know exactly what this means but it says 10'-0-5/2" on the bottom of one of my skates. I am guessing that there is a 10' radius on the skates, with no secondary radius, and the last part I have no idea.

Anyways I am 5'7" and was considering adding a custom radius/profiling to my new skates and was just looking for some advice. Thanks All!!!

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i have a pair of vapor 10s im going to try out. the nylon on the toe cap is chewed up though, its fine it just looks awful

i dont know whos idea it was to put nylon over the toe cap. its is inevitably going to get ripped apart

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i have a pair of vapor 10s im going to try out. the nylon on the toe cap is chewed up though, its fine it just looks awful

i dont know whos idea it was to put nylon over the toe cap. its is inevitably going to get ripped apart
Yeah I use pro-tec-toe stuff. Today's skates don't use that cloth nylon mesh crap thankfully. http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sp...g208a3364.html

I just haven't bought any of today's skates yet.

Old
05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Yeah I use pro-tec-toe stuff. Today's skates don't use that cloth nylon mesh crap thankfully. http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sp...g208a3364.html

I just haven't bought any of today's skates yet.
yea there was a period of time where they made a bunch of skates with nylon over the toe caps then they realized it gets torn up after no time so they stopped doing that

graf i dont think ever did that, i have a pair of 705s that do not

Old
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea there was a period of time where they made a bunch of skates with nylon over the toe caps then they realized it gets torn up after no time so they stopped doing that

graf i dont think ever did that, i have a pair of 705s that do not
I think if i could afford GRAF skates I would try them out. I have never heard anyone complain about them. They are expensive aren't they?

Old
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
I think if i could afford GRAF skates I would try them out. I have never heard anyone complain about them. They are expensive aren't they?
yea, they dont really sell a cheap pair. they sell a few less expensive pairs but i wouldnt get them, id rather get a different mid line skate than a graf. imo, if you are buying a graf, get the good ones

the one thing i couldnt get used to is the forward pitch of the holders. i believe the G5s have tuuks but the 700's have their cobra holders which i cant get used to and am now putting lightspeedIIs on.

they are heavier than the other skates out there though because they are leather, not really any composite materials. they took a step back when they became graf canada. the liner changed and they put on a carbon fiber outsole which from what ive heard hasnt done well.

i have the older pair, suede lining

Old
05-02-2009, 11:33 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Thanks for the info ... I've store hopped at 4 stores here and have looked at and tried on a few pair. i have not had a hard time with any skate except CCM skates. They seem to be different in sizing than bauer which I knew already but I was surprised at how much different.

7000s huh .... interesting. I will keep an eye out and try them on in a store if I see some. Yeah I live in the states and am checking out those links, your link for PeraniS is wrong somehow so I Googled it. A link off of that site went to their ice hockey site http://www.hockeyworld.com

I am looking at some Vapor 6 2002 model leftovers for $99! I wear those now and would love a second pair. THANKS!
your welcome

Old
05-03-2009, 10:29 AM
raganblink

Quote:
Vapor6s for 99?

You are being ripped off. Period.

If they've had a skate for 7 years, you should be able to get it (top of the line, mind you) for no more than $100. And those aren't top of the line skates.

My buddy got into hockey in 2006 and bought Vapor6s for $140, new. Seriously that is expensive for those skates. You shoudn't be paying more than $50 for those new skates. And IIRC, those skates suck, too. Im pretty sure the steel doesn't come out, and it overall was pretty cheap. He quit hockey 6 months later stating he hated his equipment, but didn't want to spend another 500 to get better equipment.

I really do not recommend getting those, unless you totally can get them for like $40.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote