Notices

Adult hockey leagues for spring/summer?

Old
04-25-2009, 12:43 PM
MdL

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MdL
Adult hockey leagues for spring/summer?

Anyone know if any good ones? Preferably that haven't started yet? I'm in the natick wellesley area but I'll travel up to 45 min.

Thanks!

MdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:26 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I know the neshl has a league starting in a week or two. I have heard mixed reviews, but its probably a different experience for a goalie.
-DC

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
I know the neshl has a league starting in a week or two. I have heard mixed reviews, but its probably a different experience for a goalie.
-DC
I'm on my firm's team in the NESHL (Ernst & Young) and we're currently in the C division playoffs for the metro Boston league (heading into the semi-finals I believe on Tuesday), but we're playing in the league starting up in a few weeks and moving to the North Boston league C division (we played in the B division to start and got our ***** handed to us). The A, B and C divisions are all very competitive and there are some really good players in them. The playoffs are just like true playoff hockey, a lot of chippiness, some dust ups, rivalry building, and low-scoring (we won our last game 1-0 against a very good, honest team. That's you DRL Dawgs if you read this). All in all, it's a blast and the one thing I really look forward to every week. If you head to the web site and click on the forums link you can post a message as a player looking for a team and hopefully link up with one for the upcoming season (though I think you have to try out). I don't know how the D and recreational dvisions are, but I would image that they don't stack up to the A, B and C. If you're a halfway decent player or one that hadn't played in a while (like me) I would recommend trying to hook up with a C division team.

Deal Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
I know of one in Norfolk but not sure of the dates and time

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdL View Post
Anyone know if any good ones? Preferably that haven't started yet? I'm in the natick wellesley area but I'll travel up to 45 min.

Thanks!
A few years ago I was a ringer on a friend's team in Walpole. The rink had been built in the late 90's so, it was pretty sweet, and good ice. Right down 128 for you, then 1 or 2 exits down 95. I'd just call the rink.

I think the league was AAHL (adult american hockey league), but I played on a few teams then and could be wrong. But, it was pretty competitive at the A level, a lot of off season D1 and junior players. Don't remember what I paid.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
hubby1746

im looking for a place to play pickup for the spring/summer. I just wanna get on the ice and skate around, nothing too serious. I live in Brookline and would go 15-20 minutes away

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
DFENS44

Give these folks a peek...

Quote:

Thanks!
http://thehockeyacademy.com/display_programs.php?fid=18

I used to skate in their Early Bird Leagues. Well run, good people, and after playing for a while, they get to know you.

I know this because although I skated in the morning league, a friend asked me to be a fill-in on a prime time team during the playoffs when they needed bodies. I was using someone else's shirt/# and we were waiting for the Zamboni to finish in the locker room. One of the league organizers walks in to shoot the breeze with the team and ends up sitting next to me to talk to the goalie. My heart just about stopped.
Anyway, we head out to go onto the ice and I figure that I've gone unnoticed when I feel a knock on the shoulder pads with a "Hey Chris, how you doing?" Caught.
We ended up losing, since I was just a body and not a ringer.

Anyway, they're good people.

DFENS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
MdL

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully going to join into one within the next few days.

Old
04-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Frankie Spankie

You can try thehockeyacademy.com They have a couple different leagues.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
MdL

I'm looking at the NESHL.. their website is kinda bad. Do I just sign up and they assign a team? Or do I need to have a roster spot on a team then join? Do I need to try out? I'd be playing C level.

Old
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
I'm looking at the NESHL.. their website is kinda bad. Do I just sign up and they assign a team? Or do I need to have a roster spot on a team then join? Do I need to try out? I'd be playing C level.
I am pretty sure they have a FA skate on a certain night..like a pickup with all free agents and teams that need players go down and sign free agents. I think you need to sign up first though

They take the rest of the unsigned free agents and create a team. They usually start this team out in the D level because most of the top players are signed to the higher level teams

Having skated with you at two HF pick up skates, I would start out in the D level.

Reasoning behind my statement
You will have much more fun since the teams aren't stacked as much down there You wont improve as a hockey player watching seasoned/ex college players skating by you. The only way you will improve is being in the play and the D level will offer you this opportunity more than the C level will...

good luck and have fun
Z45

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Patfan1987

Here is a good deal starting in May for some open hockey:
http://www.the-icenter.com/open_hockey.php

Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Czerk

If you want to try roller hockey, there is a great league at hockey town in Saugus. www.emrhl.com

low stress, more fun, draft league, free agents all the time. Great guys, lots of FUN (AKA drinking).

League does stats, 3 stars, write ups, box scores even a goat of the week. They play on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings (two different leagues). Avg only about $10-12 per game. If you are ultra serious and what to play for the Stanley Cup (physical, etc), don't join as the league is mostly made up of 30+ players with a few 20+ on some teams.

Great part is you will play with most players in the league (and become friends) if you play for 2 years so you won't have guys running for behind, being a complete "D!ck" etc. Good fun hockey with all the options we wanna B's would want...

League has been around for 8+ years now

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Law View Post
I'm on my firm's team in the NESHL (Ernst & Young) and we're currently in the C division playoffs for the metro Boston league (heading into the semi-finals I believe on Tuesday), but we're playing in the league starting up in a few weeks and moving to the North Boston league C division (we played in the B division to start and got our ***** handed to us). The A, B and C divisions are all very competitive and there are some really good players in them. The playoffs are just like true playoff hockey, a lot of chippiness, some dust ups, rivalry building, and low-scoring (we won our last game 1-0 against a very good, honest team. That's you DRL Dawgs if you read this). All in all, it's a blast and the one thing I really look forward to every week. If you head to the web site and click on the forums link you can post a message as a player looking for a team and hopefully link up with one for the upcoming season (though I think you have to try out). I don't know how the D and recreational dvisions are, but I would image that they don't stack up to the A, B and C. If you're a halfway decent player or one that hadn't played in a while (like me) I would recommend trying to hook up with a C division team.

You're pretty much correct about the NESHL. I've been playing with Anarchy since 1996 and, unfortunately, last night we lost 2-1 in the our championship game to the East Coast Bulldogs. We didn't lack for chances to tie it, but it's certainly a blast, and we get right back at it with the new summer season next Sunday. We've had to put up with several long-time "rivals", in particular Icepack(sometimes known as Thirty Pack), Bedard Maple Leafs, Streetcones, SS Sharks and Young Guns.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

For the NESHL, I think they have a tryout this weds nite (the 29th) @ 9:30p (not sure on the location though, its on the site).

Not sure if goalies need to try out or not, and I think there's a tryout fee as well.

-DC

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:55 PM
MdL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
I am pretty sure they have a FA skate on a certain night..like a pickup with all free agents and teams that need players go down and sign free agents. I think you need to sign up first though

They take the rest of the unsigned free agents and create a team. They usually start this team out in the D level because most of the top players are signed to the higher level teams

Having skated with you at two HF pick up skates, I would start out in the D level.

Reasoning behind my statement
You will have much more fun since the teams aren't stacked as much down there You wont improve as a hockey player watching seasoned/ex college players skating by you. The only way you will improve is being in the play and the D level will offer you this opportunity more than the C level will...

good luck and have fun
Z45
Awesome, thanks zylos! I took your advice and joined the D level. I'm definitely looking to improve my game, and I agree I can't do that with people skating by me at every play.

I'm all setup to play in the NESHL for the Red Wings. Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the info everyone. Maybe I'll see some of you around?

Old
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
shotblocker32

Guys, gals,

The AMHL.com (as in 6:30 AM, Hockey League) at Valley Sports in Concord: If early morning works for you, this is a great league. Refs, player profle page/stats, pictures, post-game donuts, and great camaraderie on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (pick-up session) mornings. Competitive but chippiness is the exception, not the rule.

shotblocker32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 10:17 AM
SpeedyLazaro

www.stinkysocks.net

lots of options.. good guys

SpeedyLazaro is offline   Reply With Quote