HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First line next series: Wheeler vs. Axe

View Poll Results: Axe on 1st; Wheels on 4th vs Carolina?
Keep as is; it has worked well and prob will again 39 57.35%
Switch em out; it worked against Habs, but might not against the Canes 26 38.24%
I'd prefer even more line switches 1 1.47%
I'm too excited/paranoid/nervous to even think about it at this point 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Which 'aint broke' crowd? It wasn't broke when it was fixed the first time. (As in we were rolling along swimmingly with Axe on the 4th and Wheels on the 1st prior to Julien flipping them for the Habs series)
Per the actual poll topic..."for this next series, do we still stick with Axe on the top line and keep Wheeler buried on the fourth?"

So "ain't broke last series" fits.

Wheeler has been pretty good, but Axe has been great. No reason to change it up for the second round unless it becomes obvious that we are having more offensive problems than defensive problems.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
erfus

Wheeler. Wheeler's size would be nice on the 1st line, especially when the Carolina defense would have a size advantage over the Bs forwards. Particularly a Savvy-Kessel-PJ line. As well as PJ played against Montreal in Game 1, the fact is that that line did not produce much ES. Kessel did. The line didn't. Savard had one ES point and a +/- of zero. PJ was a -2. I'm not saying they didn't play well as a unit, but there is certainly room for improvement. The Savvy-Wheeler-Kessel line wasn't broken in the regular season either.

Boston has a good depth advantage over the Canes and I think it'd be more obvious if they used Wheeler in a scoring role, one that he is comfortable in, instead of in Bitz' role. He's had one series to get his feet wet and should be ready to resume his role as a top 6 forward. PJ is available to kill penalties and protect leads as needed.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 10:56 AM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post

Wheeler has been pretty good, but Axe has been great. No reason to change it up for the second round unless it becomes obvious that we are having more offensive problems than defensive problems.
I guess it was obvious after the 1st period or so, eh? Though it was Lucic that moved up and Wheels moved to the 2nd line. That line changeup greatly improved the Bs offensive flow and the 4th line, though it sputtered initially, should be good enough defensively to at least not hurt the team.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
mattbnh

I love PJ but I am very glad that CJ put Lucic back where he belongs. He creates so much space for Kessel and Savard. I also liked him moving Wheels up. My son made the point that Axe is a catalyst for Yelle and Thornton, bringing something to that line that Wheels does not. Wheels is an offensive player, while that 4th line is intended to break up the other team's offense. Not that Wheeler is bad at it, but PJ is the ultimate assault breaker. He blocks passes and makes guys change direction and plays the lanes and boards well.

Our feeling is that when the canes try to contain the Savard line, Bergy's line will get more chances. Chuckie will start throwing his body around. And did you see Recchi last night? Wrecking crew indeed.

I truly hope Wheeler gets some points in the next game. He came close on that Ryder goal but Ryder buried it.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

On the left wing with Krejci and Ryder has proven to be the most effective spot for Wheeler.

Lucic playing on the 1st line is the most effective spot for him in this series because, as Brick mentioned several times last night, Carolina has absolutely no answer for Milan Lucic. So why not stick him out with the two best offensive players?

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote