Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How the Wesley trade is connected to Wideman

Old
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Bridges31

vCash: 500
How the Wesley trade is connected to Wideman

Found this on the Concord Monitor website. This may have been brought up on the boards before but I never noticed it.

Quote:
...So Sinden sent Wesley packing for the Whalers' first-round picks in the 1995, 1996 and 1997 entry drafts.

In 1995, the B's picked Kyle McLaren with the ninth pick in the draft. The hulking blue liner was put right into the Boston lineup that season, in which he totaled five goals, 12 assists and 73 penalty minutes in 74 games. McLaren was a fan favorite in his first few seasons, but like Wesley, he eventually fell out of Boston management's good graces and was dealt to the San Jose Sharks in 2003 for non-entity Jeff Jillson.

Jillson played 50 games for the B's in 2004 before being sent back to San Jose for Brad Boyes at the trade deadline.

Boyes was an immediate success when he finally made his Beantown debut in 2006. After a 33-goal season with the Providence Bruins in 2005, Boyes jumped to the big club and played in all 82 games, potting 26 goals with 43 assists. He netted his first-career hat trick on Carolina goaltender Cam Ward (still Carolina's starter), who went on to win the Conn Smythe Award as the playoff MVP for the Stanley Cup-winning Hurricanes that season. Boyes and Bruins, however, didn't qualify for the postseason.

Wholesale changes were made in Boston the following season, and after a slow start, the B's traded Boyes to the St. Louis Blues for current Boston blue liner Dennis Wideman.

A little bit of a far stretch but I thought it was an interesting piece of information. I was also surprised that the Concord Monitor even wrote something about the B's.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...ORTS/905010694

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Colt.45Orr

So Samsonov---->Lucic
McLaren----------->Wideman

What else do we have to thank Wesley for?

i'll never forgive him for missing the empty net in OT vs. the Oilers in the finals OT. He scores that goal... which he SHOULD have... it's a whole different series.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
So Samsonov---->Lucic

i'll never forgive him for missing the empty net in OT vs. the Oilers in the finals OT. He scores that goal... which he SHOULD have... it's a whole different series.
Well thank go I was only 1 year old at the time so I can't hold a grudge

Old
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
camnly

Quote:
So Samsonov---->Lucic

Hitting that crossbar was probably why it was easy to let him go too. In the end we did not have a chance. The 2009 B's have as good a chance as anyone.

camnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
So Samsonov---->Lucic

We also got Denis Reul. We had Yan Stastny, then traded him for a 4th round pick in 2006 (traded that away I guess) and we traded back for Stastny for Samsonov and then traded Stastny again for a 5th rounder in 2007 which I believe was the pick for Denis Reul.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:41 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Found this on the Concord Monitor website. This may have been brought up on the boards before but I never noticed it.

A little bit of a far stretch but I thought it was an interesting piece of information. I was also surprised that the Concord Monitor even wrote something about the B's.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...ORTS/905010694
Actually there is a mistake in the Concord Monitor article. it states Boyes was traded
to STL after the B's got off to a slow start. in fact the B's were 5/6th in the EC to start the New Year, they faded in the 2nd half and Wideman came over with only about 20 games left in the season. Where did the writer get the trade happened early in the season?

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

I still think that the Whalers won that deal. They kept Wesley for the rest of his career (Toronto for a month doesn't count) and he helped them win a cup. They also ended up with the best of the three first round picks they gave up (Samsonov) for no cost. They, and every other team in the league, could have also had the second best pick of those three when McLaren was on waivers this year.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 07:49 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
I still think that the Whalers won that deal. They kept Wesley for the rest of his career (Toronto for a month doesn't count) and he helped them win a cup. They also ended up with the best of the three first round picks they gave up (Samsonov) for no cost. They, and every other team in the league, could have also had the second best pick of those three when McLaren was on waivers this year.
If you measure by current results, you have an argument. However if you are forecasting the future the odds are the B's will have used the assets from that trade with Wideman/Lucic to get the better of the deal. Actually the origins of the trade go back to the Neely for Pederson trade in 1986. Its amazing that a trade made
23 years ago can still be having major ramifications now and potentially say 17 years from now. Think about it a trade made in 1986 could still be felt in a major way in say 2026? Think about it a trade with 40 year ramifications, the pro sports equivalent of the 100 years war!!

Old
05-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Actually there is a mistake in the Concord Monitor article. it states Boyes was traded
to STL after the B's got off to a slow start. in fact the B's were 5/6th in the EC to start the New Year, they faded in the 2nd half and Wideman came over with only about 20 games left in the season. Where did the writer get the trade happened early in the season?
Maybe to him earlier in the season = the halfway point

I'll cut the writer some slack. Like I said, I'm just surprised the monitor wrote a piece on the Bruins. They would normally write about what type of deodorant the red sox player would prefer before they would even mention the Bruins.

Old
05-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Moe T

Quote:
So Samsonov---->Lucic

You just had to go there didn't you.....
I loved Wesley up until that point.

Moe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Moe T

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
I think they meant that Boyes got off to a slow start not the B's.

Moe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:24 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe T View Post
Thats possible

Old
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe T View Post
If thats what they meant it was very poorly written.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote