HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

One95 questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
  #26
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
nice thanks again man

im going to have to try it. im not going to use that adhesive spray though until i see if i like it. also i have to get that wide tape, where can you find that wide tape and what is it called? i cant find it, is it athletic tape? i find athletic tape isnt as sticky as regular 1 inch tape

also do you wax it?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
  #27
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
nice thanks again man

im going to have to try it. im not going to use that adhesive spray though until i see if i like it. also i have to get that wide tape, where can you find that wide tape and what is it called? i cant find it, is it athletic tape? i find athletic tape isnt as sticky as regular 1 inch tape

also do you wax it?
I tried wax last time I used it.. I practiced badly and I'll blame it on the wax.

It's just normal goalie tape. It's the exact same as normal tape except it's black and wide for goalies as they have to tape more blade.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:47 PM
  #28
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
I tried wax last time I used it.. I practiced badly and I'll blame it on the wax.

It's just normal goalie tape. It's the exact same as normal tape except it's black and wide for goalies as they have to tape more blade.
thanks i cant wait to try this

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
  #29
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
thanks i cant wait to try this
Sorry for hi jacking this thread by the way. Maybe I should make another board? It seems a lot of people want to try this but are worried about chewing up their blade easily? I'm not saying it isn't going to chew it up, because logic dictates that it will, but if after a half dozen games I don't even notice a single piece of carbon fiber sticking out, something has to be off.

You can use any tape you want by the way, just make sure you take a puck to it and smooth it out. I used 3 strips of normal black tape the first time I believe, and I scored 3 and added a few. Not saying this will make you score more, but the less friction = better.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
  #30
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Sorry for hi jacking this thread by the way. Maybe I should make another board? It seems a lot of people want to try this but are worried about chewing up their blade easily? I'm not saying it isn't going to chew it up, because logic dictates that it will, but if after a half dozen games I don't even notice a single piece of carbon fiber sticking out, something has to be off.

You can use any tape you want by the way, just make sure you take a puck to it and smooth it out. I used 3 strips of normal black tape the first time I believe, and I scored 3 and added a few. Not saying this will make you score more, but the less friction = better.
yea im usually a minimal tape kind of guy, i sometimes tape the toe depending on the blade

do you get the strip of tape as close to the bottom of the face of the blade as possible?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
  #31
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea im usually a minimal tape kind of guy, i sometimes tape the toe depending on the blade

do you get the strip of tape as close to the bottom of the face of the blade as possible?
Half a CM or so from the bottom.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 09:22 PM
  #32
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Half a CM or so from the bottom.
i might try it on my samsanov square toe. i think it would probably get the toe better

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
  #33
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Has anyone used the 2 piece version yet? How good was it compared to the one-piece?
I have. I use the 2 piece for sort of smooth outdoor roller rinks and messing around with blades.

The only differences in my mind are: Not as balanced, barely. Two, a tad bit heavier.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
  #34
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
As per taping.. I usually go through 1 tape job per game when taping toe to heel. Sometimes I may have to rip it off and retape really quick on a line change, or change stick.

I do 1 tape job now via Erik Cole, and then re do it for next game. It is rarely actually needed.
I tape traditionally heel to toe and then rub white wax all over it and then use a heat gun to melt the wax into the tape fabric. This does 2 things for me ... waterproofs the tape so there isn't any snow build up and also it makes the tape last a whole game because it bonded better from the heat. Also I do not lose any friction because the wax was melted into the fabric.

If I play shinny hockey for example for about 3 hours I finally get it to rag tag and look bad with strips hanging off but that is after practicing many slapshots and wristers. For our regular team games i can use the same tape job for about 3 games.

Everybody has their own way to tape sticks I guess.

I like my way of heel to toe with a 1 inch wide tape because of the ribbed effect which I have to have because I am a shooter and it gives incredible spin on the puck and great grip when ripping shots.

how does your method relay into putting intense spin on the puck when shooting? My way gives me better velocity and control when aiming the puck with slapshots. Well heck I should just try it out and see for myself with an extra backup stick the next time I go play shinny hockey or something.


Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:38 AM
  #35
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I tape traditionally heel to toe and then rub white wax all over it and then use a heat gun to melt the wax into the tape fabric. This does 2 things for me ... waterproofs the tape so there isn't any snow build up and also it makes the tape last a whole game because it bonded better from the heat. Also I do not lose any friction because the wax was melted into the fabric.

If I play shinny hockey for example for about 3 hours I finally get it to rag tag and look bad with strips hanging off but that is after practicing many slapshots and wristers. For our regular team games i can use the same tape job for about 3 games.

Everybody has their own way to tape sticks I guess.

I like my way of heel to toe with a 1 inch wide tape because of the ribbed effect which I have to have because I am a shooter and it gives incredible spin on the puck and great grip when ripping shots.

how does your method relay into putting intense spin on the puck when shooting? My way gives me better velocity and control when aiming the puck with slapshots. Well heck I should just try it out and see for myself with an extra backup stick the next time I go play shinny hockey or something.
When I come over the puck, my shot is far more accurate than heel to toe, and I'm fairly certain it's a harder shot, but you'll have to use a radar gun.

I played tonight, have to retape, one little peel of the tape off of a nice redirect that just went wide of the net.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:19 AM
  #36
jminor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
I am using the Cole tape job and here is what I do: I run a strip of clear shin pad tape along the bottom of the blade, then spray adhesive, apply the tape job and finish with wax once the adhesive is cured. 3 games in now and am getting used to it, to me it was quite a difference, the stick or rather the blade I guess felt more fragile at first due to less tape and less resistance I suppose. I am now getting used to it and feel that it will be the ticket for me. I do not melt the shin pad tape, I noticed someone else saying they do, why is that?

jminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
  #37
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Well there are certainly some interesting suggestions and tips in this thread. I am going to try out a couple of them when I play shinny Friday. I have a regular game tonight so no dice for the game itself to try new things but I will Friday.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:24 AM
  #38
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
I got a one95 the other day and love it. Shoots really well and the puck feels good too.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
  #39
SiouxPride
Registered User
 
SiouxPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WINNIPEG!
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
I useually go toe to heel,
7 i retape every 3-4 games,
works fine, and for inline i use the attack pad stuff.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
  #40
pspeezy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
i like my one85, although im having trouble getting used to shooting wristers with the pm9. other than that i really enjoy all aspects of the stick.

pspeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.