HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of the Season Free Agency Quotes from Antropov, Mara, Betts, and Morris

View Poll Results: What is the MOST Amount of Money you would give Antropov, say 3-4 year Contract
Under 2 Million per 4 2.56%
Around 2.75 Million per 29 18.59%
Around 3.5 Million per 77 49.36%
Around 4.25 Million per 41 26.28%
Around 5 Million per 0 0%
Around 5+ Million per 1 0.64%
I don't Want him Back. 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
So he doesn't hit like Chara...he still uses his body in front of the net and along the boards and has a great reach.

Inconsistent? Guy is just hitting his prime. He's increased his point total every season since the lockout, two past season 25+ goal scorer, 55+ point man.

Yes he was injury prone when he first started in the league, which is why it took him longer to develop, but again, past 2 seasons hes played 153 games out of 164.

Seems like your just upset he's big and doesn't power through an entire team.

But yet you want Zherdev back, someone who showed almost no heart the entire 2nd half of the season and couldnt get one point in any of the big games that mattered (the playoffs) for .75 million less

Well said.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Mark it down today May 2 2009
Orr will be a Maple Leaf Burke 100% understands the roll of toughness and will make him a 750 to 1 million dollar offer. He will overpay yes but getting a op 3 enforcer that can play is a big step.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I really haven't been posting on here to much. This board has become a lot like the NHL way to PC for me. You say you want tough hockey and 35 18 yr old attack you and tell you how tough the nhl is and how physical the game has become. The NHL is a joke a shell of the great sport i used to love. This is a joke letting Orr walk is a bad bad decision he loves NY and feels like Torts doesn't want him. When he is a Flyer or ISlander we will want him back trust me. He is the perfect enforcer he fights hardly ever takes bad penalties and is a great team guy. My opinion of Torts is he is way overrated and he is a bad in game coach. The Rangers did'nt improve at all when Renney was fired. Torts is a bully coach and showed how freaking stupid he is by benching Avery when we had Washington down and out gave them game 5 and then totally lost the series. Never wanted him here and still don't wait till the caps or Flyers come to NYC and Cote or Brashear pound staal or Avery then we see this PC anti tough board cry for Orr back
There is a need for an enforcer but he doesn't need to play 82 games either. People will always over look the enforcer because they are trying to get another 10 goals on the roster. So when someone on HFboards makes up a mock line up it usually is geared toward offense I wouldn't worry about it happening in the real world. Torts and Sather both like Orr and they both understand the need for toughness. But you also don't need to over load your fourth line with 3 goons that can't skate, I'm sure you know that Dagoon but I think sometimes you come off as someone who wants that.

I might add that you probably draw criticism and attacks based on your view point of Lundqvist and how often you bring up that he sucks. To each his own, but you gotta expect negative feedback to your ideas when you attack the precious one.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

No way do I want to see Orr walk, for all the reasons previously mentioned.

I would like back Antropov and Betts (provided they accept reasonable salaries). Mara will have to continue to accept a discount if he wants to stay, and even then, I'm not sure I'd 100% want him here over a kid.

Morris can peace out, Cub Scout.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:21 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
2.5 million is a joke, he will get at least 3.5 million from other teams. I'll give him 3.5-4M.
Ya seriously about the Larry Brooks comments and whoever agreed with him so decisevely, lets give the leading goal scorer on this team less than a third of the contracts of some others on the team. Why because Antropov is a stupid Russian that will not excpet anything. Or his two way hockey isn't up to par with the rest of the players, is he to inconsistent, Or is it that he doesent have a good attitude. The guy is not stupid, his backchecking and two way play is probably superior to any other player, just have to look at some of the excellent plus/minus ratings he has put up in T.O with a **** team at times, and this is a guy who made other players who played on his line look much better. Sounds like a guy that should be worth the same or more money as are highest paid players if u ask me. but i also understand that we cannot afford to pay him that, and i am not suggesting i am eager to pay him that because it would be overpaying him, but lets remember the situation we have put ourselves in before trying to talk about contracts in this manner. We have the biggest joke sallaries once again, and if it was not for Avery and Antropov coming in, forget torts, we would not have seen the post season.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
free0717

Antropov: I only sign him to a one year contract. Bad Knee, Soft Market, need to keep spot available for Evgeny Grachev in a year. If he wont take the one year contract, let him go.

Mara: Gone, need to open spots for young cheaper defensemen, We have 5 young Defensemen who are NHL close.

Morris: See Mara

Betts: Gone. Got to get Artem Anisimov into our lineup, even @ 4th line. He dominated at the AHL level and is NHL ready. Artem will eventually be our number 1 center.

Zheredev: I am on the bubble with him. He has the NHL body and all the tools. But to me lacks the Heart to be the player he should be. To me its up to Torts. If Torts believes that this he can motivate this player to his potential, I give him the one year QO. Otherwise, I trade him @ the draft and try to move up into the top 10.

Wade Redden: Totally Overpaid, I think @ some point in his contract when the Young Dmen are ready, He will be waived. Wades contract makes him virtually untradeable. However, he gets at least this year. Torts seemed to have made him a servicable 2nd pair dman. No team will take him in a trade at that contract unless we take back the other teams bad contract.

Rozival: Overpaid by 1-1.5 million a year. not really a first pairing Dman, but a good 2nd pairing dman. He will stay for the rest of his contract unless his knee gives out.

Gomez: I think at some point in his contract he will be moved when Anisimov and Dubinsky are ready to be the top two centers. He stays for at least two seasons.
Although he has a 7.4 million dollar cap hit, His money was front loaded and the last 2-3 seasons, his salary will actually be reasonable. This will make him very tradable to teams whose CAP numbers are at the middle or bottom.

Drury: Yes Chris is overpaid by about 2.5 million a year. But something about his clutch play and his aura tells me to keep him. But Chris cannot be the go to guy. He is a secondary player, 2nd line. He will stay and finish his contract.

Naslund:Has one year left and I keep him. I might bring in BERTUZZI on a one year deal. If you go on youtube and look @ Markus Naslund Hilites, Todd Bertuzzi is always running blocker in front of the net and opening space for Markus. Bert also makes us a bigger hard to play against team.

Avery, Staal, Girardi, Korpikorski, Dubinsky, Callahan, are here for the long haul

Sjostrom: Im on the fence. If he plays for the same amount as last year, I keep him.

In the far future I look @ the Architecture of the team like this

? Anisimov and Grachev as my first line
Callahan, Dubinsky and ? as my 2nd line

The other lines, I dont know, we will see

the Dmen shake out as Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, Sanguinetti and Sauer.

And of course Hank is my Goalie.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
NYR Viper

I would honestly give Antropov a 3-4 year deal. I see no reason to not sign him. He has been better since the lockout and its not like he cant put up points and contribute on a second line(if the Rangers can ever find a 1st line winger). He is good offensively and defensively and adds size.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I would honestly give Antropov a 3-4 year deal. I see no reason to not sign him. He has been better since the lockout and its not like he cant put up points and contribute on a second line(if the Rangers can ever find a 1st line winger). He is good offensively and defensively and adds size.
I think they have to only look to resign Antropov right now with the contract situation. They have to see where their RFA's are at and they all need to be resigned( Dubi, Z, Sjo,Cally)

They need to see if they can move Naslund and Rozy at the deadline to clear 9 million

I am ok with letting Mara, Morris and Betts walk. Honestly they should all get more money than the Rangers can give them

Betts should get 1.5 after his season and Morris and Mara could get 2.5 plus

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I completely disagree. He might not throw open ice hits, but he uses his reach/size to the best of his ability in front of the net, providing a dynamic Dawes could never hope to.

As you said, he certainly has been a "sniper" for us. IMO for a goal-starved team like the Rangers you can't afford to give up players like that.

Clowe?! Really? The guy may have put up good numbers this year, but that was largely due to playing on one of the best lines on debateably the best team in the NHL this year.

That communication stuff is absolute BS; if you want to win, you find a way to be part of a team, Kalinin or not. I agree that Zherdev should be brought back if possible, the guy does have fantastic skill. Either way, the fact of the matter is that he was completely invisible in the playoffs, and I think 3.25 is the highest I would offer him.
Like I said, the communication thing may or may not of been a coincidence.. Obviously I wasn't using it as an excuse for him because like you said, hockey is the language. But I could see it a difficult transition for a player who isn't very fluen in English struggle under a new coach who plays a different system and has a different philosophy- especially after losing the person he was probably closest to on the team.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
So he doesn't hit like Chara...he still uses his body in front of the net and along the boards and has a great reach.

Inconsistent? Guy is just hitting his prime. He's increased his point total every season since the lockout, two past season 25+ goal scorer, 55+ point man.

Yes he was injury prone when he first started in the league, which is why it took him longer to develop, but again, past 2 seasons hes played 153 games out of 164.

Seems like your just upset he's big and doesn't power through an entire team.

But yet you want Zherdev back, someone who showed almost no heart the entire 2nd half of the season and couldnt get one point in any of the big games that mattered (the playoffs) for .75 million less
I don't expect him to hit like Chara, but the guy doesn't hit at all. We all talk about how vanilla this team is and Antropov doesn't help. Look at the Ducks, they physically ware down their opponents by always finishing their checks. That is the kind of style the Rangers should be playing. If a guy like Antropov could use his size to ware down his opponents, a smaller guy like Callahan wouldn't have to. But you're right, Antropov does have good reach(obviously) and using it well enough. But honestly, you're taking his size/reach and sacrificing speed. It is the exact reason why I'm advocating bringing in a classic power forward at any cost. You'll get the size, speed, physicality, and goal scoring to boot.

As for Zherdev. I realize that he showed "little heart" at the end of the year but so did so many other key players. But seriously, why are you so critical of him? Well, it's probably because he's the most talented player on the team and really is the only top line talent we have. But you're willing to ship him off because this kid didn't perform in his first playoffs ever up to his 2.5 million dollar contract.. Call me crazy, but a known complimentary player in Zherdev who puts up 55 points(and has the potential to put up 75) at a 3.25 cap hit is the least of our problems when our go to guys can't pull it together.

Hey, don't get me wrong.. I'd love to keep both Antropov and Zherdev but realistically I think that if we brought in a power forward and kept Zherdev, there wouldn't be enough cap for Antropov.

Old
05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I don't expect him to hit like Chara, but the guy doesn't hit at all. We all talk about how vanilla this team is and Antropov doesn't help. Look at the Ducks, they physically ware down their opponents by always finishing their checks. That is the kind of style the Rangers should be playing. If a guy like Antropov could use his size to ware down his opponents, a smaller guy like Callahan wouldn't have to. But you're right, Antropov does have good reach(obviously) and using it well enough. But honestly, you're taking his size/reach and sacrificing speed. It is the exact reason why I'm advocating bringing in a classic power forward at any cost. You'll get the size, speed, physicality, and goal scoring to boot.

As for Zherdev. I realize that he showed "little heart" at the end of the year but so did so many other key players. But seriously, why are you so critical of him? Well, it's probably because he's the most talented player on the team and really is the only top line talent we have. But you're willing to ship him off because this kid didn't perform in his first playoffs ever up to his 2.5 million dollar contract.. Call me crazy, but a known complimentary player in Zherdev who puts up 55 points(and has the potential to put up 75) at a 3.25 cap hit is the least of our problems when our go to guys can't pull it together.

Hey, don't get me wrong.. I'd love to keep both Antropov and Zherdev but realistically I think that if we brought in a power forward and kept Zherdev, there wouldn't be enough cap for Antropov.
But he does hit, he doesnt hit like mad men Cally and Dubi, but he does hit. He had 114 hits last season, that was 5th among forwards on our team, players ahead of him, Cally, Dubi, Orr, and Sjo.

I don't know where your getting that he doesn't hit and plays a soft game? BTW, Zherdev, 2nd to last among hits on the team. Obviously thats not his style, but it would be nice for him to throw the body around a bit too...right?

Who do you propose we replace Antropov with?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
But he does hit, he doesnt hit like mad men Cally and Dubi, but he does hit. He had 114 hits last season, that was 5th among forwards on our team, players ahead of him, Cally, Dubi, Orr, and Sjo.

I don't know where your getting that he doesn't hit and plays a soft game? BTW, Zherdev, 2nd to last among hits on the team. Obviously thats not his style, but it would be nice for him to throw the body around a bit too...right?

Who do you propose we replace Antropov with?

You know as well as I do that the statistical acknowledgment of hits is not the true measuring stick of whether or not a player plays physical(it's very inconsistent from building to building). Scott Hartnell played all 82 games but is registered for only 104 hits. There's no way you can honestly tell me that Antropov is more physical than him. Antropov doesn't shy away from physical contact, he uses his body well to protect the puck- but that's about it..We need a guy who consistently finishes his checks to balance out with the skilled guys. Yes, it would be nice if Zherdev threw his body around a little.. But you can't honestly expect a pure finesse/skill player to play like Milan Lucic.

Who do I specifically propose we replace him with? Well, first let me say that it would be replacing Naslund, not Antropov. The team we acquired at the deadline would be over the cap if it constructed at the beginning of the year. But I would target a player like Malone, Clowe, Bertuzzi, or Cole(and to a lesser extent Penner). Besides maybe Dubinsky(and he's even a bit small), there is not one player on the Rangers or in the farm that fills that true power forward mold.

Old
05-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Slick Rick 61

Given the economy and the potential cap decrease, it's going to be a tough market for UFA's IMO. I don't think a lot of players will commit to big long term deals, for fear that teams pushing the cap will have to move players, and they put themselves at risk of being waived/traded shortly after a deal. If I'm Sather, I'd say give Antro an offer of 2 years for 7.5-8 Mil (3.75-4 million a season). The knee problems are certainly a risk, but a short term commitment softens the blow. I don't see him getting more than 4.5 in this economy, so I think that'd be a good price for both sides (assuming the team finds a way to cut some cap space).

Antropov gives this team a different dimension. His defensive play is absolutely superb. I can't remember how many times I said to myself "wow that was a great defensive play by Nik". I've been watching this game my whole life, and in my life, of all the players I've seen play (I'm only 19), he has the best reach of anyone I've ever seen for a forward. He uses his 6'6 frame and long reach to his advantage. I'd like to see him in a full season on Torts' new power play. He's got that great shot, and we saw him score a few power play goals on that one play where he gets the puck on the boards, skates out laterally to the circle and fires a wrister.

He's physical too, just not in the eye-popping, noticing variety. I'd really like to see him and Dubi together, those 2 had good chemistry in the end of the regular season, and were by far the best line in game 7. Re-sign him Slats!

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 02:31 AM
NYR Viper

I really think he is going to #2 on the list of who Torts wants on this team. His first player was Gilroy, his second is going to be pushing for Antropov to be brought back. I wouldnt be surprised to see him have an "A" on his sweater next season if he is brought back.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Can't stand when players say "Its not up to me"

Yes, actually.. it is.
UMM NOT REALLY.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote