HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks

Old
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Sticks

Okay, so I need to get a new stick now that my Stealth is basically being held together by its last few threads. I'm debating between the following sticks, and was wondering if anyone had any insight that may be helpful...

Farrell Signature

CCM Octogun 50

Easton Synergy Elite

Warrior Dolomite

Warrior Hitman

They're all in relatively the same price range, so that's not much of a concern. I'm mostly debating between the Farrell and the Octogun, but not 100% sold on any right now. Any input would be a help.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
The Dolo and the Synergy are by far the best sticks on that list. The rest are price point sticks.

Go with one of them. I'm a big proponent of easton sticks, but warrior has a pretty good following as well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 06:19 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I just saw the Farrell's at the pro shop where I play. I was talking to the worker and he said that numerous ones came back within a week from breaking. Could have just been the players but might be something to look into

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Mountain Dew

you will probably want to go with either the synergy or the dolomite. The rest, like cptjeff said, are price point sticks. Dolo's can be had for pretty cheap on clearance if you find last years model and they are a very durable stick.

The Dolo has been relatively unchanged for about 10 years going back to the innovative days, So finding last years model isnt really a big deal because its the same thing.

Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Dr Turk

What exactly does price point stick mean btw?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 02:01 PM
shotty

^a stick designed for and marketed toward people who are sensitive to price.
they're trying to hit a certain dollar value at market and so quality can sometimes take a backseat in order to save money on production costs.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Grave77digger

If your going to buy online try Ebay. Usually cant find very good prices on new sticks. I wont spend more than $80-90 on a stick but I have found some very good deals. I just bought a CCM VECTOR V10.0 CATAPULT Ovechkin curve for $80 that I am really liking.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:01 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
I don't thrust that CCM stick, not that they don't make good sticks. I use a CCM U+ and aside from the durability, I think it's a very solid stick but I doesn't buy that 8 side ********.

Out of your list I would definitely take the Dolomite first then the Synergy.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Dolomites are on clearance many places as a new version is out with a different blade. I've used one for the last year straight and it's a tank.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbedar View Post
I don't thrust that CCM stick, not that they don't make good sticks. I use a CCM U+ and aside from the durability, I think it's a very solid stick but I doesn't buy that 8 side ********.

Out of your list I would definitely take the Dolomite first then the Synergy.
Yeah, my brother's U+ broke a few days ago near the handle after a one-handed slash, so I don't know if I'd go with a CCM at this point.

Does anyone have experience with the Kronik?

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Globalz

why dont you try some less known compagnies instead of marketed brand's.

im not trying to down warrior because myself i own 2 pairs of mia//franchise gloves but their sticks are unchanged since Inno years.

www.thehockeyclub.com

give this website a little look and on the list you gave easton hands down.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
iceman_88888888

like cptjeff said, it's gotta be the easton first and then the dolo. easton's have a much better feel to it so if you're a playmaker, won't find a better stick on the market. if you're a shooter, go with the dolo. the blade is solid and the puck explodes off the face. and maybe it's just me but the dolo's have much better durability than the easton elites.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:25 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalz View Post

im not trying to down warrior because myself i own 2 pairs of mia//franchise gloves but their sticks are unchanged since Inno years.

www.thehockeyclub.com

The reason not to do that is because a composite stick is an insanely complicated thing to design. The marketed companies are there for a reason- they have the experience and resources to make a really nice stick. Stuff like wood sticks or gloves are easy, but most off brand composite sticks have problems.

When it comes to composite sticks, the whole "you get what you pay for" thing is incredibly true.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
like cptjeff said, it's gotta be the easton first and then the dolo. easton's have a much better feel to it so if you're a playmaker, won't find a better stick on the market. if you're a shooter, go with the dolo. the blade is solid and the puck explodes off the face. and maybe it's just me but the dolo's have much better durability than the easton elites.
Wow this is why I bought the bauer supreme shafts over the vapor shafts because their website actually told me to get the supreme if i am a shooter and a vapor if I were a playmaker.

I wonder how many other companies do that?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Globalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
The reason not to do that is because a composite stick is an insanely complicated thing to design. The marketed companies are there for a reason- they have the experience and resources to make a really nice stick. Stuff like wood sticks or gloves are easy, but most off brand composite sticks have problems.

When it comes to composite sticks, the whole "you get what you pay for" thing is incredibly true.
you prolly didnt even read anything on the website i linked up to you to inform yourself or not.

Old
05-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Dr Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Wow this is why I bought the bauer supreme shafts over the vapor shafts because their website actually told me to get the supreme if i am a shooter and a vapor if I were a playmaker.
Man, have I got a bridge to sell you...

Anyway, go with the Dolomite. Great performing, and durable as well. I've been using them for a few years now and I've only broken two so far. One due to a slash and another from a freak accident.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Dr Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalz View Post

www.thehockeyclub.com

That's not a very good deal for most people, unless you snap sticks left and right. With the most basic package it still comes out to about $120 per stick, and that's not including $25 for shipping, which is ridiculous, since I can mail a stick for less than $10 via USPS.

Old
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Globalz

straight from their website that was what i wanted people to read.

So what makes a good hockey stick? Here are some basic principles:Itís whatís inside that counts. Carbon fiber is the best raw material when it comes to constructing high performance hockey sticks. This is because it contains fibers just like wood, is stronger than plastic yet can be shaped easily and is lighter than both steel and aluminum. The lightest hockey stick on the market weighs in at 425g.

When assembled with resin a.k.a. glue, carbon fiber can be molded into any shape and once it hardens it can be used like other raw materials such as wood or aluminum. Carbon fiber is very expensive so some manufacturers will use less carbon and more resin when constructing their sticks which results in heavy, less durable, cheaper hockey sticks. The optimal ratio is 80% carbon to 20% resin.

No gimmicks
Some companies use design gimmicks in order to justify higher prices- these features are completely unnecessary though at the amateur level. The Blade Spine for example, is designed for a player who can shoot the puck at 90 MPH but feels like he loses some accuracy with his follow through. The split in the blade acts as a stabilizer with its independent blade and shaft flexÖ just a tad confusing if you ask us.

sorry for the walls of text but these are must reads.

Old
05-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmy View Post
Man, have I got a bridge to sell you...

Anyway, go with the Dolomite. Great performing, and durable as well. I've been using them for a few years now and I've only broken two so far. One due to a slash and another from a freak accident.
Well you can have fun laughing at me all you want to ... go to the bauer website and choose sticks ... you'll see what I mean. One is designed for puck feel and the other for the kickpoint for shooting.

http://www.nikebauer.com/?path=/Cont...kSelector.html

Old
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Dr Acula

So what if you're a playmaker that can score as well? Do you have to carry two sticks a la Ovechkin?

Old
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
TheHockeyMaster

From the list you have there, I'd go with the Synergy. From my personal experience, the warrior sticks break more.

For a couple more bucks I'd also recommend the SE16

Last edited by Fugu: 05-04-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: can't link to your own site
TheHockeyMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmy View Post
So what if you're a playmaker that can score as well? Do you have to carry two sticks a la Ovechkin?
Well those guys usually have a crap slapshot as they always fancy dan everything never learning how to shoot.

Usually. I am sure you have played with plenty and know what I mean.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
The Dolo and the Synergy are by far the best sticks on that list. The rest are price point sticks.

Go with one of them. I'm a big proponent of easton sticks, but warrior has a pretty good following as well.
I'm going with jeff on this, but I myself would go with the Dolo over the Easton. The Dolo is more durable.

Vapor or Supreme, it's kick point. One is a low kick point the other is a mid kick point. You don't need to use a specific stick because you play a certain way. That's Bauer's way of justifying having two high end sticks on the market.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote