HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Official Adult Hockey League Talk

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum

vCash: 500
Why Brett Hull likes flexible sticks...

Old
05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
I've decided to come out of retirement in the next couple weeks after having not stepped foot on the ice in almost 4 years.

I'm both excited for it and dreading it at the same time.
I'd give a sawbuck for video of that scrimmage!!!!

Old
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Clearly being able to do the Michigan move is more important. Get your priorities straight.
Clearly!

Old
05-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'd give a sawbuck for video of that scrimmage!!!!
haha, me too. Just so I could compare it to old footage of me back when I wasn't legal yet and cry.

Old
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Clearly being able to do the Michigan move is more important. Get your priorities straight.
I remember that. Use to hate that move so much. Usually because the only time anybody tried it on me was when some d-bag on a clearly superior team was in the later stages of a blowout victory, and then they just wanted to showboat by showing up myself and my team.

But I figured out how to stop that move.....

As soon as you see the d-bag behind the net trying to cup the puck for the wraparound, jam the leg pad up against the post, glove up high to protect the top corner, and then as he brings the puck around take your stick hand and use the paddle/blade of the goal stick like an axe and try to chop the guy's arm off as hard as you can.

They usually get the message. Only had to do that maybe 3 or 4 times over the last 13 years. Never got scored on.

Old
05-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
I remember that. Use to hate that move so much. Usually because the only time anybody tried it on me was when some d-bag on a clearly superior team was in the later stages of a blowout victory, and then they just wanted to showboat by showing up myself and my team.

But I figured out how to stop that move.....

As soon as you see the d-bag behind the net trying to cup the puck for the wraparound, jam the leg pad up against the post, glove up high to protect the top corner, and then as he brings the puck around take your stick hand and use the paddle/blade of the goal stick like an axe and try to chop the guy's arm off as hard as you can.

They usually get the message. Only had to do that maybe 3 or 4 times over the last 13 years. Never got scored on.
I was going to guess a blocker to the face but I like your style better

Old
05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

What cut do you guys get for your blades? I've been using 1/2" since I started but have been thinking of getting a deeper halo for maneuverability.

Old
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
What cut do you guys get for your blades? I've been using 1/2" since I started but have been thinking of getting a deeper halo for maneuverability.
For goalie skates I use an inch. I get my forward skates sharpened at 1/2" but then I usually realize that I don't like them that sharp. I think next time I should with something between 1/2" and 3/4"

Old
05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I just get 1/2 since I don't know any better yet. Everyone I have talked to says that is fine. I know a couple people in the pro shop at Sharks Ice and asked them

Old
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I just get 1/2 since I don't know any better yet. Everyone I have talked to says that is fine. I know a couple people in the pro shop at Sharks Ice and asked them
Yea when I worked at an ice rink if people didn't specify we just gave them a 1/2" cut

Old
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Yea when I worked at an ice rink if people didn't specify we just gave them a 1/2" cut
I am probably going to take one of the skating classes they have there. I don't want to start with bad habits.

We lost last night, it sucked but the refs were horrible. Lady ref called a trip on our goalie when he played the puck in his crease. Plus she was behind the net and had no sight line to what was happening. That put us on a 5 on 3. Same lady was right in front of me when I was going in on a breakaway with someone right on me and he got his stick literally hooked and stuck in my hands. I had to take a hand off and then try a quick shot and she said she had no vision of it even though she was 10 feet in front of me looking directly at it. Oh well, 1 goal and 1 assist for the game. I still try and be too fancy though.

Old
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
I am probably going to take one of the skating classes they have there. I don't want to start with bad habits.

We lost last night, it sucked but the refs were horrible. Lady ref called a trip on our goalie when he played the puck in his crease. Plus she was behind the net and had no sight line to what was happening. That put us on a 5 on 3. Same lady was right in front of me when I was going in on a breakaway with someone right on me and he got his stick literally hooked and stuck in my hands. I had to take a hand off and then try a quick shot and she said she had no vision of it even though she was 10 feet in front of me looking directly at it. Oh well, 1 goal and 1 assist for the game. I still try and be too fancy though.
Congrats on the 1-1-2

Yeah the refs at Logitech aren't fantastic, but they're not horrible either. The ones are Rollin Ice are basically the worst I've ever seen. Sharks Ice refs are inifinitely better than those.

Old
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

Heh I had a game yesterday where the refs waived off every icing.

Old
05-04-2009, 03:56 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Congrats the the 1-1-2

Yeah the refs at Logitech aren't fantastic, but they're not horrible either. The ones are Rollin Ice are basically the worst I've ever seen. Sharks Ice refs are inifinitely better than those.
haha, thanks. I am actually bummed that I didn't score more, I had a couple more chances but got his stick once and missed an inch high twice. I always think top shelf and need to get away form that a little bit. Rollin Ice refs don't really call anything. They kind of just let everything go. I don't mind since I am an ******* player who is good at using body positioning to deliver a "legal" hit.

Quote:
They waived off some that were icing and called it when it wasn't. I almost got an unsportsmanlike on the bench but all I was saying was that the team we were playing was perfect and don't commit penalties (obviously incredibly sarcastic) when the ref was right there. He even asked me what I said and I told him and he just mean mugged me, only like a minute left in the game.

Old
05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
haha, thanks. I am actually bummed that I didn't score more, I had a couple more chances but got his stick once and missed an inch high twice. I always think top shelf and need to get away form that a little bit. Rollin Ice refs don't really call anything. They kind of just let everything go. I don't mind since I am an ******* player who is good at using body positioning to deliver a "legal" hit.
Hahaha yeah I'm the same way. At Rollin Ice I like to push the rules a little bit with using my body - it gives me a pretty big advantage

Old
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Hahaha yeah I'm the same way. At Rollin Ice I like to push the rules a little bit with using my body - it gives me a pretty big advantage
You are a tall guy though right? I am 5'11 so I need to make sure it looks legal where people might bounce off of you

Old
05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
I go with the Standrd 1/2" cut. I went with the faster cut which was nice but I need all the help I can get on my turns

Had an 11:00 game last night (hate those), we won 7-2 - got the 1st goal of the game Two games in a row we got someone from the other team suspended

Old
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
Had an 11:00 game last night (hate those), we won 7-2 - got the 1st goal of the game Two games in a row we got someone from the other team suspended
Nice. Apparently you have a frustrating team to play against.

Old
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
SharkXJ

Quote:
Nice. Apparently you have a frustrating team to play against.
Yeah well - when you are winning by 3 or 4 goals with 10 minutes left and you don't let off the gas, that seems to piss some guys off

Old
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
Yeah well - when you are winning by 3 or 4 goals with 10 minutes left and you don't let off the gas, that seems to piss some guys off
The first preseason game we let off a bunch, we were up like 6 or 7. We decided to follow the 5 passes rule. But we were playing a rookie goalie who probably shouldn't be in that league

Old
05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
The first preseason game we let off a bunch, we were up like 6 or 7. We decided to follow the 5 passes rule. But we were playing a rookie goalie who probably shouldn't be in that league
You're on the Out to Lunch team right?

EDIT: Nevermind that team isn't there anymore. What team are you on?

Last edited by Rem: 05-04-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
SharkXJ

Hey Murph - you guys need any subs? I wouldn't mind picking up another game here and there.

Old
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
You're on the Out to Lunch team right?

EDIT: Nevermind that team isn't there anymore. What team are you on?
They changed, now the Cisco Rockets. Apparently everyone works at Cisco except for a couple people.

Old
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
MrCowGod15

Quote:
haha.. you probably had the same two that my game had. I don't know what their deal was with calling icing.

Old
05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
They changed, now the Cisco Rockets. Apparently everyone works at Cisco except for a couple people.
Oh yeah, you also play with Rick and Jim. Rick and I started hockey at the same time together, along with Walt.

Closed Thread