Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Flintshire Freeze / ENL hockey

Old
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
mbeam

vCash: 500
Flintshire Freeze / ENL hockey

Does anyone know anything about the level of hockey in the ENL? I'm moving from canada to liverpool in september and Flintshire Freeze seems to be the closest team to me. People told me that I would be able to tryout for them and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the competition is like.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
mattski93
Poo Brain

Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
It's beer league equivalent in Canada, the players pay to play. Can't think of any known league I'd approximate it to. Maximum of 2 imports per team but most don't even have one. That said, there can be some excellent games as it's all about pride and desire rather than the money as the teams are almost always filled with local kids and crusty veterans.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:36 AM
hluraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Does anyone know anything about the level of hockey in the ENL? I'm moving from canada to liverpool in september and Flintshire Freeze seems to be the closest team to me. People told me that I would be able to tryout for them and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the competition is like.
As mattski said, it's primarily an amateur league where the players pay to play. If you are Canadian without an EU passport I believe you will be ineligible to play ENL hockey though, it is officially a development league and there are restrictions on imports. If you are eligible to play as an import, there are a maximum of two imports per side and only one on the ice at any time. Most "northern" teams have 0 or 1 imports but there are more imports in the south, especially around London. You would need an ITC card to play in Britain which costs about 700 EVERY season to play ENL level, it is an IIHF charge and a rip-off that seriously dents finances at this level.

You are far more likely to be suited to one of the better rec teams, they don't have import restrictions or ITC charges, and there are quite a few. As well as Deeside (Flintshire's rink) there is Manchester not too far away from Liverpool as well as Blackburn.

hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
MrSports*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
As mattski said, it's primarily an amateur league where the players pay to play. If you are Canadian without an EU passport I believe you will be ineligible to play ENL hockey though, it is officially a development league and there are restrictions on imports. If you are eligible to play as an import, there are a maximum of two imports per side and only one on the ice at any time. Most "northern" teams have 0 or 1 imports but there are more imports in the south, especially around London. You would need an ITC card to play in Britain which costs about 700 EVERY season to play ENL level, it is an IIHF charge and a rip-off that seriously dents finances at this level.

You are far more likely to be suited to one of the better rec teams, they don't have import restrictions or ITC charges, and there are quite a few. As well as Deeside (Flintshire's rink) there is Manchester not too far away from Liverpool as well as Blackburn.

I bet that you will not be able to play in ENL. Somehow, try registering maybe they will consider you. You will never know unless you haven't tried it out.

http://www.eurohockey.net/teams/team...shire%20Freeze

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote