HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Komisarek a 6 million dollar man?An assistant GM thinks so.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Sorry guys you will simply not convince me that he is worth anywhere close to 6 million a year.I know the guys in the room love him and all but doesn't mean he's worth that much.I wouldn't pay him anything over 4.5 a year.He shouldn't be making more then Markov.

I know he doesn't have the offensive skills but I still think he turns the puck over a lot,makes a lot of mistakes on the other team's blue line which causes many odd man rushes the other way.

Again I like Mike and wanna see him stay a Hab and 1 day retire here but no where near 6 million a year especially with the cap going down possibly after next season.
with a new guideline, tougher practices, better pace, better puckmovement, I think Komi will be just fine.. Look at Chara, he wasnt the most gifted with the puck, was taking some bad decisions at time, but having a good teacher like Julien around changed his approach, he became a way better defenseman over the last 2 years, so there's still room for improvement regarding Komi, will never become one of the best puckmovers out there but Im confident he will bring that area of the game at another level.. Its a matter of playing well collectively, supporting each other, everything we failed to see from this team this year, so as I said, with a new guideline, Komi will be fine and we will see how important he is for this team..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
You don't get it. It is not that he deserved to be in the all star game. You said he does not sell tickets. Fans don't vote a guy into the all star game if they don't want to watch him. he sells tickets. There are an awfully lot of Komisarek jerseys in the crowd.
fans also don't vote for a guy that didn't even play 1 single game in the season(Sergei Gonchar)

I think you're missing the point,hadn't been for Montreal he would have never EVER played in an All Star game!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Another guy that once he leaves, will finally be not so bad after all. He was dissapointing this year to say the least. But no way is he as bad as he showed. He will bounce back and like the tons of other players, will finally be good after all.....like Souray, like Rivet....

I wouldn't give him 6M. But you better have some other scenarios ready.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Komisarek isn't worth 5 millions?

Commodore signed at 3.75 millions... heh..

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post

A bad contract doesn't explain another one. And then you can find contracts that are better and closer to reality.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
AH

I simply dont believe in defensive defensemen, unless they are on your bottom pair and making close to the minimum.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I simply dont believe in defensive defensemen, unless they are on your bottom pair and making close to the minimum.
You make a good point...but that certainly makes Hamrlik's contract look out of place...yikes!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A bad contract doesn't explain another one. And then you can find contracts that are better and closer to reality.
Komi should be making around the same as the Pens Broooks Orpick.

I just checked NHLPA is 3.75

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

$6M for Komisarek? Yikes.

That's more than Markov!

Even $4.5M is too much, as he'd be paid as the top defensive defenseman in the league, which he's not even close.

Anything more than $4M, trade his rights for whatever return you can get or just let him walk.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
Komi should be making around the same as the Pens Broooks Orpick.

I just checked NHLPA is 3.75
And if you ask me, Orpik is better.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Well, reading this thread makes me sick to be an Habs fan.

It's so easy to forget what a player brings to a team just because he had problems for a few months at the end of a season.

So easy to forget that Komisarek and Markov was one of the best defensive pairing in the whole NHL at the start of the season, heh.

Oh well, it's gonna come and bite us in the rear again, when Komi is gonna sign elsewhere and become the beast he was elswhere, then when he'll come over and play in Montreal we'll all be "Darn, why did we let that guy go?" just like with the countless players over the last decade or so...

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
You make a good point...but that certainly makes Hamrlik's contract look out of place...yikes!
Hamrlik put up 33-points this year, so i wouldn't exactly call him a defensive defenseman. He's more of an all around guy who had a mediocre season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I don't agree with this, but I also don't think a defensive defenseman can make as many mistakes as Komisarek and be paid that much. Anything over $4M for a defensive guy is starting to stretch it. Regehr, for example, is an incredible defensive guy who I'd pay $4M for. Mitchell and Brendan Witt are decent guys who should be comparable to Komisarek. Scott Hannan is a good defensive guy, better than Komo, but he makes even a bit too much.

However, I'm a fan of a team having 2-3 really good defensive players on the backend. I think our biggest problems were losing corner battles in our own zone and not being able to get the put out, which a defensive dman can do. Not to mention their positional play is great for the most part.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:

Commodore at $3.75M is fine, but the guy is solid. Very solid.

Komisarek is arguably a bit better, so $4M is fine. Anything over that is a poor investment as far as I'm concerned.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Viggo Mortensen

People arguing that Hainsey, Commodore etc.. were results of crazy Gms.... but hey, theres a lot of bad contracts out there in the last 2 years, just look at Finger + all those mentionned before....

Im sure he will get 6mil + on open market, I love Komi.... but it seems like he doesnt want to stay, and for 6mil +, I prefer having another solution on the team

Viggo Mortensen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
not really sure about that,it's pretty fair to compare to Orpik and his contract is pretty good.I would give Komi max 4.25 a year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
MathMan

I'm starting to think Montreal should just pay him...they have nobody who can replace him and his type of player is rare -- quality minute-eating defensemen, I mean -- not so much back-end bruisers. And he's right-handed, which is a big plus.

AH: I get what you say about defensive D-men, and I generally agree that transition-capable D-men beat defensive shot-blocking hitty types any day, but players who can eat up top-pairing minutes against the likes of Ovechkin effectively are not a common commodity either, regardless of style of play. Komi needs to work on his transition game to be a truly effective top-pairing D-man, but he's good enough that the Habs might have to overpay for him. If they don't, they absolutely need a solid plan B because then they need to find someone else who can play top-pairing minutes on the right side and not get schooled by Ovechkin and his ilk.

I'd rather overplay on D, anyway, the impact of forwards is much less.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Oh please! Last year he was a GOD in this city. He has a bad year probably due to his shoulder and we crap all over him. If he leaves , we will regret it.I dont think 6 million is anywhere near his worth but 4.5 - 5 is about right and maybe less with a hometown discount.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
guest1467

16 million 4 years, get it done.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
I think we shoudl stop comparing him to Markov's salry. Markov is a steal at 5.75.

Sure we can stop comparing it just for you. I don't think Marky will though !

Komi at 33 mill. for 7 years ( which will make him 34 ) sounds fair to me. We all know he will be the Habs next C after Saku.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Well, reading this thread makes me sick to be an Habs fan.

It's so easy to forget what a player brings to a team just because he had problems for a few months at the end of a season.

So easy to forget that Komisarek and Markov was one of the best defensive pairing in the whole NHL at the start of the season, heh.

Oh well, it's gonna come and bite us in the rear again, when Komi is gonna sign elsewhere and become the beast he was elswhere, then when he'll come over and play in Montreal we'll all be "Darn, why did we let that guy go?" just like with the countless players over the last decade or so...
Nobody is saying Komisarek sucks, or that he's not valuable to us. He's a big part of our D. It just happens to he, like many others, had a very bad 2nd half season.

People are saying he's no where near 6M. I don't care if he gets 6M in salary as long as his cap hit isn't close to it.
Heck, give him 10M, I couldn't care less as long as he doesn't take more than 4M off the cap.

When I talk about money, I'm looking at the cap hit and there is no way Komisarek is worth a 6M cap hit. No way in hell.

Pronger is a 6.25 cap hit, so please..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
EurOConnEcton

i agree with the majority, after seeing what i saw this whole season and the playoff Komi is not worth 6m. If he wants to stay here he should sign between 4-4.5m the cap is going down next year. No need to be giving out a big contract on Komi! His asset is his deffencive play and he was average at best this year with that. We all learned that without Markov he is no where near a stud and is more like a dud. He cannot make a crisp breakout pass when pressured. If Habs want to overpay we can go get some1 who is worth overpaying, not some1 that needs to play with a star to be good.

EurOConnEcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Oh please! Last year he was a GOD in this city. He has a bad year probably due to his shoulder and we crap all over him. If he leaves , we will regret it.I dont think 6 million is anywhere near his worth but 4.5 - 5 is about right and maybe less with a hometown discount.
Last year he was greatly overrated. I even remember a poll created here about who's truly our #1 D, Markov or Komi. To my surprise, many (although not a majority) voted for Komi.

I wouldn't be so far to say Komi's better than Orpik.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I hope Gainey pulls off a Kostitsyn'esque type contract like last off-season. I can't imagine the Chaos on these boards if A.Kost had signed a Jeff Carter type deal.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Part of a GM's job is to make tough decisions. I like Komo, but his physical play as well as defensive play faltered this year. If he had a great season, we would be expected to pay through the roof to keep him, so when he plays poorly, we shouldn't have to overpay to keep him, but the reality is that there are a lot of GM's out there who are willing to ante up to get him.

I give him 4.5 max per year, and I do mean MAX - and I think that is a slight overpayment for him.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurOConnEcton View Post
i agree with the majority, after seeing what i saw this whole season and the playoff Komi is not worth 6m. If he wants to stay here he should sign between 4-4.5m the cap is going down next year. No need to be giving out a big contract on Komi! His asset is his deffencive play and he was average at best this year with that. We all learned that without Markov he is no where near a stud and is more like a dud. He cannot make a crisp breakout pass when pressured. If Habs want to overpay we can go get some1 who is worth overpaying, not some1 that needs to play with a star to be good.

No it's not, sometimes it's better to be informed than post and.....well you know the rest.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote