HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund's at it again!

Old
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
TheCH*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

As for Eklund, I think if you follow him, pretty much every name on the trade/UFA block is rumored to land on almost every team at some point.
Thats because all teams do talk to each other at some point. But the rumors he posts are NOT "he is going to go to this team". Its just the teams have had chats...

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothlessgrin View Post
Eklund mentionned several times during the summer that Montréal would go after Lang if they failed to sign Sundin.

Here is one, dated August 22:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16541

Habs got him in September.

Not a big fan of Eklund, but I think some of his stuff is legit.

There were rumours of Tanguay to Montréal for awhile before he was traded here last summer too.
Thanks, I don't recall that getting any attention then cause it caught me by surprise. As for Tanguay I recall there was interest from the fans as there was a big debate about his worth vs his salary vs him being soft but I believe it was said that he had said or refused to remove his NTC to come here in the past.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
It's like the freudian slip I had last week. I meant to ask my wife to pass me the butter, instead what came out was "You stupid cow, you ruined my life".

You got me laughing hard there Bill!!!!!

05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
u got it
More of Bob.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothlessgrin View Post
Eklund mentionned several times during the summer that Montréal would go after Lang if they failed to sign Sundin.

Here is one, dated August 22:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16541

Habs got him in September.

Not a big fan of Eklund, but I think some of his stuff is legit.

There were rumours of Tanguay to Montréal for awhile before he was traded here last summer too.
It was a very predictable move... We needed a right-handed center, there was few option, and Lang already have success with Kovalev...

Eklund doesn't have any source excepted his dog. He does throw rumours that he believes can be realized...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
toothlessgrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
It was a very predictable move... We needed a right-handed center, there was few option, and Lang already have success with Kovalev...

Eklund doesn't have any source excepted his dog. He does throw rumours that he believes can be realized...
Nobody knows for a fact whether he has sources or not. I wouldn't recommend that people pay for his site (as the content is generally quite poor), but people freaking out because of posts linking to his site are overreacting. Who cares if he makes money off the generated traffic?

Anyway, Eklund+ HF =

Hope Markov to TB doesn't happen, and JBo+ Lecavalier to Montréal does.

toothlessgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

i dont feel like quoting everyone, but the fact is that as "tight kipped" as you would like to be, rumors and rumblings always come out. Its inevitable.
People who say Gainey is so secretive is a farce because we have heard so many rumors and they have been detailed in this post. It dosent change just because "ohh that move was predicatble so it dosent count".

Im not a rumor mongor and guys like Eklund are horrible, but when theyre is smoke, theyre is fire. It may not come full circle (the rumors that is), but i dont buy into the Gainey is "fort knox" notion.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i dont feel like quoting everyone, but the fact is that as "tight kipped" as you would like to be, rumors and rumblings always come out. Its inevitable.
People who say Gainey is so secretive is a farce because we have heard so many rumors and they have been detailed in this post. It dosent change just because "ohh that move was predicatble so it dosent count".

Im not a rumor mongor and guys like Eklund are horrible, but when theyre is smoke, theyre is fire. It may not come full circle (the rumors that is), but i dont buy into the Gainey is "fort knox" notion.
I wouldn't be surprised if alot of the time it is a team that starts these rumours.

Hey, if you are trying to move a player, you might start a couple rumours just to help heat up talks.

If you have interest in a player, you might start a rumour as a way of letting a team know, without letting a team know.

Stuff like that.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Do people not understand how terrible this team plays without Markov?

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
MathMan

Nevermind that MTL needs to keep Markov. Why would Tampa want him?

Yes, I know he is awesome and a Vinny-for-Markov trade would make Tampa better.

But they're trading Lecavalier supposedly to free up money. Markov's salary is much less, but it's still a hefty chunk of change. Not that he isn't worth every penny, but if the goal is to hit the cap floor, getting Markov back only saves you three or four million.

Getting Markov is also a short-term move. Tampa's unlikely to be a contender in the duration of Markov's contract (one or two more years was it?) and retaining Markov at the end might be problematic if the team isn't winning -- a D-man of Markov's caliber is going to command massive interest.

If I'm Tampa and I'm dangling Lecavalier to the Habs, I'm eyeing that stockpile of defensive prospects Montreal has. They'll be cheap to keep, they're excellent value, and even if they don't get to be as good as Markov, they'll develop in time for right around when my new Stamkos-led team starts looking strong. And Montreal has more of them than they have spots of D-men on the big team, so they just might be persuaded to part with a couple.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
How the **** is this a "News Report".
Eklund has about as much credibility as Ollie Williams of the Blackie Weather Report.

His ''I'M AT THE WRONG AIRPORT!'' would have worked perfectly on the darkest day in Habs history news report.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
maci4life

i enjoy eklunds posts. they're entertaining.

thats all.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
His ''I'M AT THE WRONG AIRPORT!'' would have worked perfectly on the darkest day in Habs history news report.
''I'M AT THE WRONG AIRPORT!''

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'd rather have Markov-Jaybo then Jaybo-O'Byrne with Vinny. And the fact that Gainey and Lawton hate eachother doesn't support his argument.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So exactly what we should expect this summer,no Bouwmeester and no Lecavalier
And no trades at the draft.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Do people not understand how terrible this team plays without Markov?
Habs desperately lack quality puckmoving defensemen, thats why Markov is actually so indispensable to the team.. but if you add guys like Jaybo Subban Webber to the line-up, then I dont think Markov becomes as much valuable to the team.. What did Markov prove in playoffs? Absolutely nothing.. He tends to desapear when the competition become much more physical.. I wont blame him to not show up in the last playoffs, he was injured lol, but if you look at the way he has been injured, he obviously didnt protect him well, most Habs fans will blame Grabovski cause he is the easy target, but personally I think it was a pretty clean hit, Markov for whatever the reason is, wasnt expecting to be hit.. Dont get me wrong, I think some games Markov is a beauty to watch, both offensively and defensively, but Im still not sold on his charactere, when the games really matters..

While I think its BS as usual, I think that scenario make sense, so A+ to Eklund on this one.. We could afford to pay Jaybo 8M, resigning Komi at 5.5-6 M, could afford Lecavalier's contract and we would even have the cap space to trade for a guy like Simon Gagné (only 2 years remaining to his contract)

Gagné Lecavalier A.Kost (16.2M)

Higgins Plekanec MaxPac (6.5M)

Dags Lapierre Latendresse (3M)

Stewart Metropolit\Chipchura Laraque (4M)

JayBo Komisarek (14M)

Hamrlik Subban (6.5M)

Gorges Weber (2M)

Price (2.2M)
Denis (0.6M)

TOTAL: 55M (23 men roster)

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
MathMan

The magic number for "too many puck-moving defensemen" is probably 8. Maybe higher than that.

One for every slot on your NHL team and a couple of spares for injuries.

If the Habs DO somehow lure JayBo in, they should keep him and Markov, and present opponents with the challenge of dealing with one of them 50+ minutes of the game. Having a consistent transition game would do wonders for the team's offense, too, without the need for an elite forward.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
BigTimer*

I have practically zero interest in JBo and I hope the Habs feel the same way. Watching him down the stretch he folded like a cheap tent, and not only was his defensive play leaving much to be desired but his offense disappeared. His lack of a mean-streak also bothers me.

Seeing as how he'll make over $6 million long-term, I'd have little interest in him unless we managed to offload Hamrlik, which is extremely unlikely.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
rousseau15

summer will have arrived when eklund tells us we are actively pursuing patrick marleau

rousseau15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Fine if Bob goes for JBo, although highly unlikely to lead anywhere, if it were to happen, I don't think the Habs would trade Markov. I think they would rather trade Hamrlik for a 2nd pick (or a first pick, if Bob can do it).

But the more I think about it, the more I feel we shouldn't try to get Lecavalier. There are so many teams who will be looking to unload a top centerman in the next two years, you think of Pittsburg who will ultimately have to make a choice of keeping only two of Malkin, Crosby and Staal, Philly who will have to unload one of Richards, Carter or Brière, New York who might wanna get rid of one of Drury or Gomez (although the Naslund retirement will help them cap wise), San Jose who might unload one of Thornton or Marleau, Boston who might have to chose two between Krejci, Bergeron and Savard. Many of these players would be as effective as Lecavalier, but without the long torturous contract.

Out of them, I would specifically target Jordan Staal, as he'd probably cost less assets-wise, is younger than most that I named, has potential, without the career numbers to raise his price, and is already signed at close to 4 mil (if I remember correctly), and he's big and quick, and would probably fit well with AKost and Higgins or others on the team.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
And no trades at the draft.
Don't wanna take a shot at your perfect formula to predict the future, but didn't we get Tanguay for a 1st pick at the draft last year?

And oh, didn't Bob acquire the rights to negociate with Sundin, and was announced just before teams started drafting?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
wikiwa

here we go again!

wikiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
BLONG7

The Habs cannot beat the Antigonish Bulldogs without Markov...so, obviously we need to keep him for another 5-7 years...wouldn't mind adding J-bo and letting Komi walk....as for Vinny, it just seems like he is destined to be traded by Tampa, but I am not too sure as to where...could be the Leafs and not the Habs guys...possibly...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Go Habs Go

I'm glad Eklund exists because I love rumors. Basically the reason we're all here.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Fine if Bob goes for JBo, although highly unlikely to lead anywhere, if it were to happen, I don't think the Habs would trade Markov. I think they would rather trade Hamrlik for a 2nd pick (or a first pick, if Bob can do it).

But the more I think about it, the more I feel we shouldn't try to get Lecavalier. There are so many teams who will be looking to unload a top centerman in the next two years, you think of Pittsburg who will ultimately have to make a choice of keeping only two of Malkin, Crosby and Staal, Philly who will have to unload one of Richards, Carter or Brière, New York who might wanna get rid of one of Drury or Gomez (although the Naslund retirement will help them cap wise), San Jose who might unload one of Thornton or Marleau, Boston who might have to chose two between Krejci, Bergeron and Savard. Many of these players would be as effective as Lecavalier, but without the long torturous contract.

Out of them, I would specifically target Jordan Staal, as he'd probably cost less assets-wise, is younger than most that I named, has potential, without the career numbers to raise his price, and is already signed at close to 4 mil (if I remember correctly), and he's big and quick, and would probably fit well with AKost and Higgins or others on the team.
the problem is how long do they wait, and at what level does Gainey feel this team is at so that he can put all eggs in one basket.

if Gainey's assessment is that it'll be 2 years then he may wait, but if it's sooner then he would probably take a chance and get Vinny now, and let him play along with the developing players.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote