HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Komisarek a 6 million dollar man?An assistant GM thinks so.

Old
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Firstimeandshy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I hope Gainey pulls off a Kostitsyn'esque type contract like last off-season. I can't imagine the Chaos on these boards if A.Kost had signed a Jeff Carter type deal.
Kosty was a RFA, not the same type of negociations don't you think.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
imnothere

Hahaha, the guy can't even pass and he's looking for 6 millions ?

Good joke, let him walk.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:03 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Then I want my money back. He is my favorite player and I even flew in to see him play. I am sure I am not the only one that loves to watch him. He was voted into the all star game...how does he not sell tickets LOL
Komisarek was a joke all year long, and yes he sucked before the Lucic fight. He couldn't pass, he couldn't hit, he couldn't fight and he joggled the puck like a clown. No one in the league will tell you he's a star.

You want to give 6M to a defense-only defenseman when the cap will go down in 10-11? It's a recipe for disaster considering we'll have 17.25M invested in 3 d-men; 2 of which are no stars.

I was a fan last season, but he couldn't have had a worst year.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

If he wants 6 M, let him go

Let's sign some good young RFAs like Yandle and Methot, instead.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm starting to think Montreal should just pay him...they have nobody who can replace him and his type of player is rare -- quality minute-eating defensemen, I mean -- not so much back-end bruisers. And he's right-handed, which is a big plus.

AH: I get what you say about defensive D-men, and I generally agree that transition-capable D-men beat defensive shot-blocking hitty types any day, but players who can eat up top-pairing minutes against the likes of Ovechkin effectively are not a common commodity either, regardless of style of play. Komi needs to work on his transition game to be a truly effective top-pairing D-man, but he's good enough that the Habs might have to overpay for him. If they don't, they absolutely need a solid plan B because then they need to find someone else who can play top-pairing minutes on the right side and not get schooled by Ovechkin and his ilk.

I'd rather overplay on D, anyway, the impact of forwards is much less.
And Komisarek is not among them. Now if you're talking about Markov...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Craig71

It's amazing what other teams see in our UFAs, how could anyone offer Komisarek 6 million dollars? He is a great hitter and shot blocker, thats all, he has hands of stone and can't start a rush to save his life, no way he is worth that money, if he can get it good for him, Gainey will offer him 3.75-4.5 million. I predict he will be gone to either the Rangers or Islanders, he will be missed. If his loyalty is to team, he will stay, if it is for the buck, he is gone. It will definitely be an interesting summer.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Magic33

How Mike Komisarek could make more than Markov is beyond me. This guy is useful in one area on the ice (and sometimes he isn't even useful there). Outside of his own zone he is completely lost. He makes awful passes and contributes nothing offensively. The fact that a team is going to pay him 6 million is laughable imo. I would give him MAX 4, but more around 3.5. We cant have him making 6 million and Markov making less. Markov is arguably our best player.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

AH: I get what you say about defensive D-men, and I generally agree that transition-capable D-men beat defensive shot-blocking hitty types any day, but players who can eat up top-pairing minutes against the likes of Ovechkin effectively are not a common commodity either, regardless of style of play. Komi needs to work on his transition game to be a truly effective top-pairing D-man, but he's good enough that the Habs might have to overpay for him. If they don't, they absolutely need a solid plan B because then they need to find someone else who can play top-pairing minutes on the right side and not get schooled by Ovechkin and his ilk.
Komisarek's skill set is overrated. He is an old NHL defenseman and not a new age one.

One thing is for sure, the Red Wings would have never re-upped Jiri Fischer for that kind of a cap hit had he not had heart problems and needed to retire.

We need to start managing our roster and cap space like the Wings if we are to have a chance in hell of ever being close to the organization they are.

Last edited by AH: 05-05-2009 at 03:31 PM.
AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
DougHarvey

Anyhow, we have no idea what he's asking for. Maybe he wants 25 million for 6 years (which I would do), These are the musings of a reporter who supposedly got this from a source.

Like everything else in print in this city, I vote BULLS**T.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
habsrock76

This would be a blessing in disguise, Komi has always been overated and I've never seen why there has been such a love in for him.

- He's not fast
- He has no shot, nor any fighting abilities
- His aggression is misguided and usually takes him out of the play
- He cant contain players on the boards

He was definitely an exciting prospect when drafted but he really never progressed.

He's a borderline 2nd pairing d-man on a decent to good team

His money can be used elsewhere, hell Beauchemin would be a better option.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

6M is definitively too much. And it's not respectful considering we already have Markov, who is a much better defenseman, making much less than that. I have no doubt Komi could fetch that on the open market thought.

But if Komisarek want to settle for Hamrlik money (around 5M)... I would certainly think really hard about it.

People are quick to throw Komi under the bus, but he won't be easily replaceable at all. It takes a lot of time to develop a blueliner from within and there's not many top4 D available on the market this summer.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
This would be a blessing in disguise, Komi has always been overated and I've never seen why there has been such a love in for him.

- He's not fast
- He has no shot, nor any fighting abilities
- His aggression is misguided and usually takes him out of the play
- He cant contain players on the boards

He was definitely an exciting prospect when drafted but he really never progresse
d.

He's a borderline 2nd pairing d-man on a decent to good team

His money can be used elsewhere, hell Beauchemin would be a better option.
Now that I don't agree with.I don't think komisarek should be getting a 6 million dollar a year contract but the guy did make some progression in the last few years.He did have a really bad season since that fight in Boston this past November but come on to say he didn't progress since he was drafted now that ridiculous.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
People are quick to throw Komi under the bus at 6M, but he won't be easily replaceable at all. It takes a lot of time to develop a blueliner from within and there's not many top4 D available on the market this summer.
Fixed.

Like I said, I don't have to think twice about letting Komi walk if he's a 6M cap hit.

Put O'Byrne with Markov, tell him to add a few pounds, focus on the defensive aspect of his game, whenever he has the puck give it to Markov, and I'm sure he'd be decent.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fixed.

Like I said, I don't have to think twice about letting Komi walk if he's a 6M cap hit.

Put O'Byrne with Markov, tell him to add a few pounds, focus on the defensive aspect of his game, whenever he has the puck give it to Markov, and I'm sure he'd be decent.
No chance,I really hope Gainey can find a new home for O'Byrne,he's terrible!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Bob failed to give him a multi year contract 2 summers in a row and now he will have to put up with his mistakes. He knew his value would sky rocket when he paired him with Markov after firing Julien.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I want Komisarek on this team.

But if he's worth 6M and people are expecting Bouwmeester to take a long term 7M a year contract...

I say: Throw 8 Millions a year at Bouwmeester dont look back...

On the other hand,

If you can keep Komisarek at 5M. Sign Bouwmeester at 7.5M and trade Hamrlik (-5.5)

Than i'm all for it

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post

But if he's worth 6M and people are expecting Bouwmeester to take a long term 7M a year contract...

On the other hand,

If you can keep Komisarek at 5M. Sign Bouwmeester at 7.5M and trade Hamrlik (-5.5)

Than i'm all for it
Hamrlik is on his good year though, so do we really want to move him?

From everything I've read, Hammer has always been 1-year good, 1-year mediocre. So this year, should be his good one. Maybe with his style of play, he needs 2-years to recoup completely and plays the second season a little less physical. I'm not sure, but it's a been a pattern for him.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No chance,I really hope Gainey can find a new home for O'Byrne,he's terrible!
So was Komi before taken under Markov's wing.

I don't think O'Byrne will be as good as Komi, but I also don't think he's as bad as he's been playing. I think he could be much better than what he's shown us.

He just needs to be treated like Komi was at first. Even if he looked terrible and made mistakes, you keep him there regularly.
Komi was just as bad as O'byrne was when he started.
6years after he started he still can't make a decent first pass and is completely lost without Markov.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Dark4ng3l

If Komisarek is worth 6 million a year today, he would have got a MUCH better contract than what he got 2 years ago. Seriously if he was half the player that he is today when he signed his old contract he would have definitely got around 2.5-3 per year if he is worth 6 today.

Everyone is being delusional about him for some reason. I can't think of many NHL defensemen that are worse than him at handling the puck and getting some shots on net. He completely relies on Markov to make plays for him to get out of the zone with control. If you play him with Hamrlik or any other medium quality passer and other teams just overplay the other guy and that D pair can never get any offense going.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post

On the other hand,

Than i'm all for it
Hamrlik >>> Komisarek. At least he can move the puck forward.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Netro

As long as 1 GM is willing to pay Komi $6 million then it makes him a $6 million dollar man.

For me, I would like to resign Komisarek but it depends on price and term. He did have a down year, absolutely, but I am not going to write him off based on 1 year.

The most I would consider is $15 million/3 years but would prefer more along the lines of $12-13.5 over the same 3 year period. Or perhaps $18 million/4 years. But at $5m per, max length of 3 years. If it was not enough, then unfortunately, you use the funds elsewhere.

Let's not forget that in 07-08 he was in the top 3 in both hits and blocked shots. Plus, he is one of the leaders in the room.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
emb24*

i can see gainey signing him to 5 mill over 5 years and then dealing hamerlik - especially if emelin comes over

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Habs8517

Meh. Montreal is getting ****ed again. Nothing new. It really is a no win scenario.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Komisarek's skill set is overrated. He is an old NHL defenseman and not a new age one.
He is an old-school D-man, but I think he's fallen victim to the "short-term memory" perception syndrome. His skillset last year was better than this year, but since he's had a bad year people evaluate him on the short term despite his relatively young age.

My question is: if Komisarek walks, who gets his minutes? For all his faults, Komisarek draws the toughest assignments, plays top minutes against top forwards, and doesn't get torched. That's something that will need to be replaced, somehow, if he walks. If we have a backup plan down our sleeves, a JayBo type say, then sure, let him walk. If not, we need to retain Komi or be prepared to get torched.

I'd love to load up on puck-moving defensemen, but they're a rare commodity. I'm excited about all those prospects in the Habs' system and I do think stockpiling them was a shrewd move given their importance and value. But until they're ready, someone has to play Ovechkin on the right side.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
You make a good point...but that certainly makes Hamrlik's contract look out of place...yikes!
Hamrlik is better then Komisarek. Plus he only has 2 years left on his contract, so it won't be a burden to the team. Komisarek long term at 6 mil would be brutal!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote